• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999 SPOILERS Discussion Thread

Kagari said:
Honestly, I almost felt a little bad for the guy at the end of the true ending. The 9 years ago scenes with him really creeped me out though.
You might feel even worse when you read THE ANSWERS, his life is truly messed up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Akselziys said:
THE ANSWERS also shed light on Gentarou before the "first" Nonary Game, which is pretty cool info!

Wish more of this stuff would have been in the game, but I'll definitely pick up those novels now!

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

There are novels!? JAPAAAAAAN! Arrrgh! D: Want [translated].

I like Ace, too, hamchan <_< In fact, he was the very first one whose personality I liked. But maybe I just like bastards
not a woman. And IT Crowd <3

And holy shit, you are tall, Aksy. And handsome :eek: Right on, pal.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I'm definitely ordering those novels now. Thanks to Kagari pointing them out to me elsewhere. *shakes fist at* I just wish the Kodansha books didn't have the grey and that stamp.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
dragonlife29 said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

There are novels!? JAPAAAAAAN! Arrrgh! D: Want [translated].

I like Ace, too, hamchan <_< In fact, he was the very first one whose personality I liked. But maybe I just like bastards
not a woman. And IT Crowd <3

And holy shit, you are tall, Aksy. And handsome :eek: Right on, pal.

Haha *blush*

Yeah, I'm 6'5 XD;

If you guys want story info on the novel, you can find it here:

http://community.livejournal.com/nonary_game/8522.html#cutid1

The 2 novels were released by Chunsoft, but written by someone else, with art by Kinu Nishimura, so the story is sorta different. (AKA the novels and the game are separate universes)

And if you haven't seen them already, the 999 US character poll results ;)

http://www.aksysgames.com/2011/01/11/these-results-are-a-poll-ing/

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
InfiniteNine said:
Dude has a hell of a poker face I tell you.

You mean going from jolly old guy:

ace7.png

to crazy killer XD; :

ace9.png

Poor Ace-y XD; And very Phoenix Wright-esque change of character lol

Akselziys said:
You mean going from jolly old guy:

ace7.png

to crazy killer XD; :

ace9.png

Poor Ace-y XD; And very Phoenix Wright-esque change of character lol
That was the first thing that came to mind. "Holy crap, this is so PW!"

Which is great because Phoenix Wright is a series that's very close to my icy heart :D

Admittedly, he was freakin' insane in the incinerator flashback. DAT EYE D:

And "ew" at Clover being so high on each list. What an annoying brat. I was kinda "<3" when Ace killed her :p (I think the Axe ending left a bad taste in my mouth).

Akane and Ace are definitely my favorites.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
dragonlife29 said:
And "ew" at Clover being so high on each list. What an annoying brat. I was kinda "<3" when Ace killed her :p (I think the Axe ending left a bad taste in my mouth).
I'm gonna cut you!

AniHawk

Clover was a dumb character. I could understand the Japanese voting for her like crazy but I expected more from Americans.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
dragonlife29 said:
That was the first thing that came to mind. "Holy crap, this is so PW!"

Which is great because Phoenix Wright is a series that's very close to my icy heart :D

Admittedly, he was freakin' insane in the incinerator flashback. DAT EYE D:

Akane and Ace are definitely my favorites.

Indeed >.<

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well my favorite character is definitely June. She has so much behind her characters, and her mannerisms and speech are just adorable. Snake is a close second and he does look dashing in those glasses.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Kagari said:
He was desperate, man.
I loved the moments where he was nuts. It was such a rapid departure from what he presented himself to be for most of the game, and much satisfying. Although I did kind of admire his old jolliness while it was there.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
InfiniteNine said:
I loved the moments where he was nuts. It was such a rapid departure from what he presented himself to be for most of the game, and much satisfying. Although I did kind of admire his old jolliness while it was there.

Haha yeah. I would say Ace is definitely up there if I had to make a list of characters that were interesting. I didn't want him to die during the true ending as was glad when that didn't happen, especially after the safe ending.

LiK

Kagari said:
Haha yeah. I would say Ace is definitely up there if I had to make a list of characters that were interesting. I didn't want him to die during the true ending as was glad when that didn't happen, especially after the safe ending.

loved how Junpei was treating him like shit in the True ending. the man lost all his power.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Kagari said:
Yeah, I'm glad he made it out too. After all he still needs to atone and admit his crimes!

AniHawk

oh i didn't really have a personality before my brother died then i became understandably mopey but still not someone people should actively like oh and if certain circumstances are met i will kill everyone including you.

"OH MY GOD PINK HAIR BEST CHARACTER!"

Korigama

AniHawk said:
oh i didn't really have a personality before my brother died then i became understandably mopey but still not someone people should actively like oh and if certain circumstances are met i will kill everyone including you.

To be honest, I can't think of any other cases where someone did such a thing and I not only didn't resent them for it, but felt sorry for everyone involved, including the person who committed the act after twisting into something no longer recognizable. I might be alone in thinking it, but I thought it was one of the few examples of a legitimately compelling tragedy within a game narrative (the horror of the axe ending even coming to pass adding to this, as I wouldn't have pictured something like that happening as more than a joke or paranoia on my part).

Personally, I thought everyone in the cast had a reasonably well-defined personality, with more of an upbeat nature being Clover's default (though obviously those types drive some people up a wall around here for some reason). I'll leave conclusions as to whether her depression, resulting from mounting despair, suspicion, and isolation after the only person she knew she could trust was taken away from her, merited sympathy to being a manner of opinion.

Either way, I cared more for her than Mr. "I JUST WANTED TO SEE FACES!".

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Clover was an okay character... I really disliked her after the Axe ending though, and that was the first one I got.
She wasn't so bad during the true ending.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Definitely June. She's seemingly nice and normal while actually being very intelligent and ruthlessly manipulative. I need to find a girl like that in real life.

Also Seven, who is a genuine hero.

Top Bottom