• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9th Circuit Court - No right to carry concealed weapons in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Then what is the spirit or intent of this? Because again, you only serve to deter law abiding owners.

Right now the county requires gun owners to prove they need to carry for more reasons than just "because they want to." The lawsuit is saying that "because they want to" is good enough.

Furyous

Perfect storm would be this not making it to the SCOTUS till after the election.... \

EDIT:Actually STRIKE that, a tie in the SCOTUS means that the lower courts ruling is upheld!

^^^ When congressional republicans realize this then it may end the gridlock on nominating a new SC justice. The person nominated is an actual republican so this opposition makes no sense whatsoever.

Does this mean everyone concealed carrying a weapon now has their rights taken away immediately? I hope this is the case as I am woefully uncomfortable with people flashing AR-15s near me in public.

spookyfish

Isn't it quick to assume how the SC judges would vote on this? Given precedent, I kind of assume they would not uphold this ban.

From my understanding, it's not a "ban." It's just saying that states, if they want, can ask for a "good cause" statement before giving out CCPs.

If a state is more gun-ownership friendly, it would not do so. For states like California, New York and Illinois, this ruling just upholds the state's policy of requesting a good cause.

It's more or less status quo, as some people have said.

Right now the county requires gun owners to prove they need to carry for more reasons than just "because they want to." The lawsuit is saying that "because they want to" is good enough.

If they have a clean record they should be allowed to. With this ban only the privileged and well connected will be allowed to carry. That in itself is an injustice.

Zoe

If they have a clean record they should be allowed to. With this ban only the privileged and well connected will be allowed to carry. That in itself is an injustice.

The 2nd Amendment never specified where they can bear arms.

Let's fast forward to full second amendment repeal. Please. But this allowance for a restriction to concealed carry is good.

Concealed carry is stupid. Open carry is stupid. You're not going to be hero, you're just going to needlessly escalate something and be another dead body, and you're going to get who knows how many other people hurt or killed in the process.

greatgeek

Banned
The majority's opinion relies heavily on an originalist/historical analysis: it cites the prohibition of concealed weapons in English and early American law to find that the 2nd Amendment does not protect concealed carry. I wonder if the SC's conservatives would be inclined to affirm.

Yeah while it's only a misdemeanor to cc in California, I will still keep doing it. Our carry laws are fucked with open carry banned and needing a permit ( which is impossible to get) to concealed carry.

BigBeauford

On one hand I disagree with this. On the other hand, if someone truly supports a state to govern themselves, then this is reasonable since guns aren't actually being taken away. So I guess California you do you.

Then what's your point? Nothing's stopping them from owning the guns.

"May issue" concealed carry means the sheriff can deny a permit without needing to justify it. So the only people who will have permits are the connected and rich. This isn't about gun ownership, this entire topic is not about gun ownership.

Perfect storm would be this not making it to the SCOTUS till after the election....

EDIT:Actually STRIKE that, a tie in the SCOTUS means that the lower courts ruling is upheld!
But it means a precedent isn't set and doesn't apply outside of the originating court's jurisdiction.

Zoe

"May issue" concealed carry means the sheriff can deny a permit without needing to justify it. So the only people who will have permits are the connected and rich. This isn't about gun ownership, this entire topic is not about gun ownership.

They have a list of requirements. It's not something done at a whim.

Is it unfair to poor people when a state requires you to pay for a class before getting your CC permit?

AndyD

aka andydumi
From my understanding, it's not a "ban." It's just saying that states, if they want, can ask for a "good cause" statement before giving out CCPs.

If a state is more gun-ownership friendly, it would not do so. For states like California, New York and Illinois, this ruling just upholds the state's policy of requesting a good cause.

It's more or less status quo, as some people have said.

Question is how many states or cities will add that type of requirement knowing it is backed by the SC.

Chorazin

Let's fast forward to full second amendment repeal. Please. But this allowance for a restriction to concealed carry is good.

Concealed carry is stupid. Open carry is stupid. You're not going to be hero, you're just going to needlessly escalate something and be another dead body, and you're going to get who knows how many other people hurt or killed in the process.

Could you please tell this to the face of a rape survivor/attempted rape survivor/assault survivor/ ect ect who now concealed carries just to feel safe? You feel it's stupid, I highly doubt they would agree.

I'm obviously not saying everyone who has a carry permit and a firearm has been through something. But you can't make blanket statements and not get called on it.

Could you please tell this to the face of a rape survivor/attempted rape survivor/assault survivor/ ect ect who now concealed carries just to feel safe?

"Your specific fear or trauma doesn't mean we should have a society with easy access to guns which has resulted in a massive difference in violence than other 1st World nations."

Chorazin

"Your specific fear or trauma doesn't mean we should have a society with easy access to guns which has resulted in a massive difference in violence than other 1st World nations."

"So enjoy that long walk down a dark alley from your job every night. I'm sure you'll be fine since they would never have illegal weapons themselves since we banned them from getting permits!"

EDIT: removing "from getting permits" argues my point more clearly as there are many kinds of illegal weapons

I mean this isn't really about society as a whole as guns are still legal to own. Just not carry. This ruling doesn't change crime either way. Not even about society as a whole. The court recognizes reality: Carrying can't be applicable to every area/city/state.

Conceal carry doesn't vanish it just means those places that don't allow it don't have to. Unless my interpretation of their ruling is incorrect.

In a state in which this would be enforced (like say, New York), folding knives with blades over 2 inches are illegal weapons.

New York never had CC. On paper sure but you never get a permit unless you're rich or got connections to the governors administration.

Small knives are legal but good luck if you use them even defensively. You're going to jail.

The 9th Circuit's rulings are binding in nine Western states. Only two other federal appeals courts have taken up the issue — in cases out of New York and Maryland — and both ruled the way the 9th Circuit did.

TaterTots

Banned
I thought most states required a permit to carry? This kind of isn't a big deal. I find it more odd that people can carry without a permit.

Tall4Life

The majority's opinion relies heavily on an originalist/historical analysis: it cites the prohibition of concealed weapons in English and early American law to find that the 2nd Amendment does not protect concealed carry. I wonder if the SC's conservatives would be inclined to affirm.
Judges don't always follow their ideologies (originalist or loose constructionist) when it comes to certain issues. The 2nd amendment is the best example of this. Conservative judges who would typically follow originalist theory would say that the 2nd amendment is still applicable today, even though it was originally meant for militias. On the other hand, liberal judges who would typically follow loose constructionist theory would say that the 2nd amendment was meant for militias originally so it does not apply to a universal right to bear arms.

Of course, there might be exceptions, but this is pretty typical of how judges have voted on 2nd amendment issues in the past.

Another responsible law abiding gun owner, guys!

Right. I have my HSC, went through the 10 day waiting period, passed my background check and was denied when I applied for my CC permit. I have followed every law by the letter and was even carrying by Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry for the longest time. The county I live in is extremely strict about issuing CC permits. 1+million people in the county and less than 200 permits issued.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I thought most states required a permit to carry? This kind of isn't a big deal. I find it more odd that people can carry without a permit.

This is about what can states require before they issue a permit. In this case, justification for the need for a permit to begin with. Not everyone is entitled to a permit according to them, and the court agreed.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
As pro gun I'm not opposed to this. This doesn't keep law abiding citizens from owning a gun. But it keeps them out of the general public. I've always felt the general public wasn't a good place for guns.

Right. I have my HSC, went through the 10 day waiting period, passed my background check and was denied when I applied for my CC permit. I have followed every law by the letter and was even carrying by Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry for the longest time. The county I live in is extremely strict about issuing CC permits. 1+million people in the county and less than 200 permits issued.

So, in other words, becuase you disagree with you county, you're breaking the law. Like a common criminal. Which is what you are. Not a gun toting hero, but just another lawbreaker. I hope the cops find you and find any reason to charge you with a felony so you'll no longer have access to a gun, since you've proven yourself to be somebody who can't follow the law.

I mean this isn't really about society as a whole as guns are still legal to own. Just not carry. This ruling doesn't change crime either way. Not even about society as a whole. The court recognizes reality: Carrying can't be applicable to every area/city/state.

Conceal carry doesn't vanish it just means those places that don't allow it don't have to. Unless my interpretation of their ruling is incorrect.

Sure. I'm just saying, part of changing the culture is changing what's acceptable, so changing it so that it's not acceptable in society is a positive in my view.

"So enjoy that long walk down a dark alley from your job every night. I'm sure you'll be fine since they would never have illegal weapons themselves since we banned them from getting permits!"

EDIT: removing "from getting permits" argues my point more clearly as there are many kinds of illegal weapons

Somehow, the rest of the First World gets by without having rape victims carrying weapons. Shockingly, with lower rates of rape than we do!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'll be that guy. This won't stop people with ill intent from concealing a weapon. It only deters law abiding citizens.
The solution is to eliminate all laws. That will put everyone on equal footing

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Shouldn't originalists agree with this ruling? Conceal carry didn't exist when everyonever used muskets. And to my knowledge, concealable sidearms aren't even standard issue among the military.

It's probably easier to mount a legal argument that it's unconstitutional to ban open carry.

FROM MY HOT SWEATY HANDS

what do you want from me, it's florida, they aint' gettin' cold for a while.

. And to my knowledge, concealable sidearms aren't even standard issue among the military.

Yeah, it's not something that happens. To the best of my knowledge, the military uses full sized handguns. The Beretta 92fs, for instance, given the moniker M9, is what I own.

It's concealable, but requires more than a CCW should. Especially in Florida, where you'll just be dripping all over the place with sweat if you tried that. I'm talking a thick coat to conceal its mass and a heavy holster and strap to keep it there without obviously pulling at anything else.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
right, so... thats exactly what this ruling says. The lawsuit came up from requiring reasons to be granted a concealed carry permit... its not ruling that permits are invalid, its saying that you have no right to just carry if the state requires a permit
Oh, so it's nothing then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom