• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A brief history of Toys R Us exclusive Nintendo products

Forkball

I may have stolen this from tumblr, but I've also added a bit of info. A lot of pictures so I'm sorry for the scrolling.

The Lucario amiibo is exclusive to Toys R Us in the States. It probably won't be the last exclusive one, and there's even talk about them selling customized amiibos. But did you know that Toys R' Us has had quite a few exclusive Nintendo products?

Let's start with the Game Boy Pocket. Toys R Us sold a color variant known as "extreme green." Below is one of the most 90s pics I've ever seen.
tumblr_njf0xzDsYe1s8wlnzo2_1280.jpg
Japanese Toys R Us(es?) also had an exclusive green Game Boy Pocket, called Emerald Green. I can't find a whole lot of info on it, but apparently it could GLOW IN THE DARK. Japan always gets the best stuff.
Q1wswM9.jpg

All Game Boy Lights were exclusive to Japan, but only one was exclusive to Toys R Us: the clear yellow version.

After the Game Boy got some color, Toys R Us jumped at the chance to sell exclusive GBCs, including this clear green one.

They also sold a transparent midnight blue one.

AND an ice blue one. Toys R Us really likes blue.

Moving on to GBA, they had a solid and transparent "Midnight Blue" handheld. Yup, it's blue alright.

I had no idea this existed, but in 2003 Toys R Us sold a black GBA. This thing is sexy. Largest picture in the history of mankind below.

For Pokenerds, there was an exclusive Pikachu GBA SP.

Toys R Us also sold a limited edition gold GBA SP in holiday of 2003. It came bundled with Super Mario Bros. 3. In Japan it was called Starlight Gold because why not.

Did you know there was a Spongebob Squarepants GBA SP? Toys R Us had the ingenuity to sell this. I'm sure Nintendo is still in business solely from the cash this pulled in.

And finally, a pearl green GBA SP that was sold by Toys R Us in 2004.

Toys R Us also had an exclusive gold N64. It's as beautiful as it sounds. Someone put a golden cart of Ocarina of Time into their golden N64 and I hate them. You could buy the gold controllers separately though... at Toys R Us.

Speaking of the N64, they also had a Hey You Pikachu combo that came with the game. I hope none of you bought this.

You thought they were done? They brought back EXTREME GREEN because the 90s weren't over yet.

AND YES MORE MIDNIGHT BLUE JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE LOL

Now here's where it gets super interesting. There were limited edition controllers with Geoffrey, the Toys R Us mascot. Yes, it's just a sticker. This thing was only sold in Japan, and I cannot fathom how rare this must be. This dude has two of them though.

In Japan, Nintendo even released a golden fat DS, exclusive to Toys R Us.

I'm not sure if we will ever see retailer exclusive consoles or handhelds again. Toys R Us actually has a long history with Nintendo exclusive products as you can see, so I certainly think there will be more Nintendo items only available for Toys R Us.

Anyways, can anyone share any other retailer exclusive products that may be interesting?

I had a black GBA to match my Gamecube at the time. Must have been an exclusive only in the US as I got mine from Game/Electronics Boutique here in the UK.

It pisses me off that you can't get translucent coloured plastic versions of modern consoles. I guess it saves the environment but PLEASE LET ME HAVE COLOUR!

I had that black GBA! It was sexy. Unfortunately it got stolen from our hotel room on a trip after a year or two. :(

Replaced it with a Charizard GBA SP.

I have the Spongebob SP and it's great. Should be worth noting that all Spongebob SPs are AGS101 models, which have a way better backlit screen than the early SPs do.

Rich!

GameStop exclusive and released last week

Doesn't count. Maybe its an exclusive in America, but not everywhere else.

It is available here in the UK on the Nintendo Official Store, GAME and Amazon (sold by Amazon) amongst other retailers.

JSoup

Banned
I remember wanting that extreme green GB pocket so damn bad when I was a kid. Still looks pretty slick.

Edit: It's worth noting that the images play up how green it really is. In normal lighting, it's rather drab.

Kriken

Ah yes, the Pikachu N64 and blue GBA, fond memories of both, although tbh I hope we don't see exclusive consoles again

Cess007

That gold N64. The things i would've done for it; oh yes! And one of my cousins had that Pikachu edition for a time; then his brother stole it and sold it to buy himself some stuff.

Webhead

Banned
This is awesome, thanks OP!

That black advance is beautiful. Gah, I just want to jump on Craigslist and buy a ton of old Nintendo consoles/products now.

Tygamr

Target has had some exclusive Nintendo consoles too. They had a darker purple color GBA exclusive to them (which said Target at the top of course), and a metallic lime green GBA SP that came bundled with Donkey Kong Country. I had both of those as a kid. There was also a red GBA if I remember correctly.

NotLiquid

Oh yeah I remember someone mentioning that N64 controller with the Toys R Us sticker on recently. Kind of crazy how something so simple is supposed to be one of, if not the most rare N64 controllers out there.

Rich!

Gamestop has loads of retail exclusive XL's.
Persona, Pikachu, NES, etc.

But those are all available in many various retailers in other countries other than america. They aren't exclusive anywhere else in most cases.

The toys r us consoles were Toys R Us exclusive. Period.

The only real exclusive in your list there is the NES XL. Cannot buy that anywhere other than GameStop in america.

AdanVC

vQPvvWo.jpg

My god look at this beauty!! Looks awesome! The GB Pocket and GB Color are my favorite handheld design ever forever. Thanks for putting this all together, fun read and now I'm kinda jealous of those who are lucky to have at least one of this consoles.

Sillution

This thread made me realize I've owned at least 1 toys r us exclusive item per generation of tru exclusives before that gold ds.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I have the Pikachu N64, paid £14 for it. Best purchase ever as I got to play Banjo-Kazooie and Mario 64 the proper way.

Leynos

Gah, some of those consoles/handhelds are so beautiful! I just wished that Sony/Nintendo still made translucent, and brightly colored hardware.

Do games exclusive to Toys R Us count? Soul Bubbles was sold exclusively by Toys R Us in the US, and it, of course, bombed. A damn shame as it is one of the best games on the DS.

SoulBubbles.jpg

soul-bubbles-20080707035026077.jpg

Top Bottom