• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A brief history of Toys R Us exclusive Nintendo products

Gah, some of those consoles/handhelds are so beautiful! I just wished that Sony/Nintendo still made translucent, and brightly colored hardware.

Do games exclusive to Toys R Us count? Soul Bubbles was sold exclusively by Toys R Us in the US, and it, of course, bombed. A damn shame as it is one of the best games on the DS.

SoulBubbles.jpg

soul-bubbles-20080707035026077.jpg

Graphics remind me of Rayman Origins.

Struct09

I still have my Extreme Green N64 controller. Once I got that it became my primary controller, no one else was allowed to use it :p

Neiteio

Man, I miss colored consoles, especially the transparent N64s

They're goofy as hell and I wouldn't buy one, but it was oddly comforting, knowing they exist

Mafia Films

Neo Member
I Saw that extreme green GBP at a gamestore and the dude had all the gameboy pockets flat priced. $15..and im still kicking myself for not getting it...when back way later days later and of course it was gone.

I think those toys r us geoff controllers are like $300-500 but dont quote me on that.

TI82

Banned
I still have my Extreme Green N64 controller. Once I got that it became my primary controller, no one else was allowed to use it :p

Haha, I still have mine too. And it was always MINE. The other colors were for other people.

Edit: I hadn't read the post above mine before I posted this. WEIRD.

This is so weird. You both love and horded the green controller. You both have green Mario avatars. You posted right after each other. You have a musical name he has a musical avatar.

You guys need to be best friends.

LittleWeedle

Neo Member
Do games exclusive to Toys R Us count? Soul Bubbles was sold exclusively by Toys R Us in the US, and it, of course, bombed. A damn shame as it is one of the best games on the DS.

Soul Bubbles was fantastic. I didn't realize it was TRU exclusive since I got it as a gift. It's definitely one of my favorites on the DS.

jts

...hate me...
Black GBA was a TRU exclusive? Always thought it was a regular ass colour. IDK, my memory is fuzzy. I bought my purple GBA at TRU though so maybe having seen the black one there is throwing me off.

I had that extreme green N64. My mom had invited her friends over and they brought their kid along who was several years younger than I. While I was of doing my own thing he managed to get a pair of scissors and cut through the cord of the controller. They never did replace it, even with a regular controller. I'm still pretty amazed that no adults at the time realized he was playing with scissors.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
SMS beach towel. Was too young then to even know or care about preorder bonuses, unfortunately.

Still have that too lol

Haha, I still have mine too. And it was always MINE. The other colors were for other people.

Edit: I hadn't read the post above mine before I posted this. WEIRD.

Same here. Used to use the gray one (my brother had a black one) but that was relegated to friends after I got the green one :p

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Good lord the black GBA is soooo good. I want it.

Also I miss that '90s ass transparent gear type of case. It's so tacky but I have a special place in my heart for it.

Converse

Banned
I most certainly had an Extreme Green controller, and I most certainly coveted my friend's gold N64 controller. And I'll be damned if we didn't use them in every single GoldenEye match.

Proud owner of the Black TRU Gameboy. Lemme go see if I have a pic of it somewhere.

EDIT
ya here we go

67JZuTf.jpg

I have the box for it too, but I don't feel like digging into the tub its in lol

Oxn

Toys R Us also sold a limited edition gold GBA SP in holiday of 2003. It came bundled with Super Mario Bros. 3. In Japan it was called Starlight Gold because why not.

I actually have this gold rare GBA SP.

LbKg9gZ.jpg

The problem is that the gold tint is sooo light that nobody will be able to tell it was gold. I put it next to the silver GBA SP and they look near identical in color. Only a rabid Nintendo fan may ever be able to tell the difference.

Sadly, I scratched the top cover a few times.....

Toys R Us and Nintendo have a good relationship because back when NES launched Toys R Us was the only place that would sell it.

Interesting how there used to be so many different TRU exclusive Nintendo systems and now there are none. TRU didn't even carry the Majora's Mask N3DSXL.

Yooo, I have the extreme green GBP lying around somewhere. I'll never forget my parents surprising me with it and Wario Land 2 one day after elementary school.

emb

I remember going into Toys R Us with my Grandma and buying that Gameboy Pocket. It was my first Gameboy, and I was so excited. Got it and a Star Wars game. I still don't know how to play that game.

Never had any idea that it was TRU exclusive, but it was a great color. If I could, I'd buy lots of things in Extreme Green.
It pisses me off that you can't get translucent coloured plastic versions of modern consoles. I guess it saves the environment but PLEASE LET ME HAVE COLOUR!
At least we got this:

TRU was SO good back in the 90's. Some of those consoles look amazing. I actually like the extreme green, too.

And game slips were a great idea, IMO.

This makes me wish Nintendo still made transparent handhelds. I wish they'd released a transparent n3DS/n3DSXL

My ORAS faceplates are slightly transparent and show the 3DS serial number + card slots and screws, but seeing the complete inner workings would've been even cooler.

Forkball

Yeah I believe the black GBA was available outside of Toys R Us in other territories, but in America, it was exclusive to that retailer. Everything in the OP refers to US or Japanese Toys R Us exclusives. For the Pikachu N64, they did sell it in other places, but only Toys R Us sold the bundle with the game.

I need to get that Sunshine towel.

Top Bottom