• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Closer Look at How Xbox Series X|S Integrates Full AMD RDNA 2 Architecture

MilkyJoe

Haven't you guys learned to read between the lines when corp's spin these kind of statements?
Just to throw one scenario out there, AMD mentioned in their showcase they have full support for DX12U in their RDNA2 silicon. This includes velocity architecture (direct storage and sampler feedback). Now, do Sony need those transistors in their SoC? No, hence MS can say that they are the ONLY next-gen console that supports full RDNA2.
Try to be critical when reading these stuff, because it's borderline lies.

You'll be ok, Son

-Arcadia-

Banned
Specifics would really help here. DF batsignal for anything they’ve heard from developer friends, or have noticed is absent from the PS5.

I’m guessing it’s features like VRS, the sampler feedback thing, and mesh shaders, some of which Sony haven’t ever mentioned, or seem to have their own solution for.

Dogman

Haven't you guys learned to read between the lines when corp's spin these kind of statements?
Just to throw one scenario out there, AMD mentioned in their showcase they have full support for DX12U in their RDNA2 silicon. This includes velocity architecture (direct storage and sampler feedback). Now, do Sony need those transistors in their SoC? No, hence MS can say that they are the ONLY next-gen console that supports full RDNA2. This is why Sony are using a custom RDNA2 architecture.
Xbox fans rely on buzzwords for their console warring. They don't even know what half of the article means but they're already shouting it.

Aion002

Someone who is smart explain what this means?
I am not smart, but I concluded that the SX has some more advanced tech than the PS5 and more flops (never forget those).

So that's a huge win for some..... Even though the consoles with the best games and that have won gens were not the most powerful ones, but never mind that.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Just to throw one scenario out there, AMD mentioned in their showcase they have full support for DX12U in their RDNA2 silicon. This includes velocity architecture (direct storage and sampler feedback). Now, do Sony need those transistors in their SoC? No, hence MS can say that they are the ONLY next-gen console that supports full RDNA2. This is why Sony are using a custom RDNA2 architecture.

There's no need to be upset. Save the spin energy for when the RT tech in both consoles can be discussed freely. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Someone who is smart explain what this means?

It's marketing. MS is jumping on AMDs announcement from today to push Xbox. Both PS5 and Xbox are RNDA2, but MS is trying to use "full support" as some sort of positive since most people won't understand the nuance. Unless you are a system architect and know both APU designs, you won't have the ability to compare the trade offs. MS and Sony both had access to the full feature set (along with their own customizations) when designing their APU. They both had to choose what to support with a given die area size which has implications to cost and heat/power. And no Digital Foundry will not tell you anything useful, they are not really technical people and also lack any non-public data.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
He was really selling this event. To me the sustained hype came up about 400mhz short. 🤷‍♂️

tenor.gif

Dogman

You are mostly right, only that this shit goes both ways, not only Xbox fans, PS too.
I agree, but I've seen it moreso coming from the Xbox side, but that's probably because their marketing has been more buzzwords based than usual. Don't forget how long fans were shouting about velocity architecture, 12tf, 100gb of assets in 1 second, etc when none of this even meant anything. Only buzzwords from PS has been SSD.

On Demand

Banned

like I said it’s just a difference of FEATURES lol.

Xbox fanboys and MS themselves are so damn desperate.

I wouldn’t be bragging about having so called “full RDNA2” with no launch games or actual games shown on your hardware. Not to mention missing graphical features like ray tracing on some games. Like come on now.

Traxtech

They support the same thing, Sony uses a different api and xbox uses direct x. Isn't rocket science to use your brain and realise you can tackle something from many different ways with the same outcome.

Sony's api could be better than direct x in this regard, or worse or exactly the same. Who knows but time will tell.

Dear lord above help us all.

Today will be a bloodbath.
I don't think it has to, but fanboys gonna be fanboys.

We don't know PS5's approach to RT. We don't know what custom features are there. We don't know what custom hardware is there apart from the fast I/O. What we do know from multiple sources is that the PS5 is easier to develop for and no dev seems to feel concerned about it, while the same can't be said about XB GDK.

That the XSX is stronger based on the hardware has never been in question IMO, the real question is just by how much, and judged from multiple sources as well, the difference has never been so narrow. 🤷‍♂️

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So the new thing is "RDNA2" is just a buzzword and ms is lying lol. Ok So Sony should just lie to us too and tell us Ps5 is also full RDNA2.

Because "full" is not a good or bad thing. If sony took one RNDA2 feature that used 5m^2 die space and gave a potential 15% improvement and replaced it with something not part of RNDA2 that was 5mm^2 and gave a potential 30% improvement, then what decision should they make?

RDNA2 feature set is AMD stand alone PC GPU featureset. If you want a PC, buy a PC.

So machine learning, variable rate shading and sampler feedback are unneeded features now?

That is decided on by very smart engineers, not internet fanboys.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

What you are saying "may" turn out to be true, but is baseless speculation at this point. We have had no evidence of PS5 having similar hardware support for ML, Sampler Feedback, or VRR. It may turn out that they do, but I have yet to run across any info that supports that claim.

These hardware features in themselves are not game changers, but will contribute to rendering efficiency allowing for more on screen with less resources used.

Handy Fake

So machine learning, variable rate shading and sampler feedback are unneeded features now?
I believe Sony have implemented their own versions which will take better advantage of their architecture.
So technically they have the same featureset but Xbox can spin it as Not Full RDNA2.

Wow, an MS article playing with words to mislead people, how novel. RDNA2 is a feature set. AMD GPUs define the full feature set, but PC GPUs are not consoles. PS5 obviously uses RDNA2 features, but Sony and AMD used the ones that benefit that console design, likely leaving off some designed for standalone GPUs and adding others not used in PC GPUS. So if anything this says MS just customized less, thus eating some die space on features not optimal for a console. Grats.

I don't even think it's that complicated. Since PS5 doesn't support DX12U features it technically doesn't support all RDNA2 capabilities even if the hardware is identical and alternative API's will deliver a same or similar result.

Or I could be wrong and PS5 is RDNA 1.69 and we're in for full on meltdown today.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
PS5 has RDNA2. It might not have a feature or two that Sony decided they didn’t need or came up with they own implementation.
And clearly whatever extra features the Xbox has is not meaningful.
Yes 100% exactly.

Cue the over dramatic fanboys though.
lol no.

PS5 is RDNA2 with it’s own custom feature set.
FEATURES! people FEATURES!

How are some of you so called enthusiast.

I wouldn’t be bragging about having so called “full RDNA2” with no launch games or actual games shown on your hardware. Not to mention missing graphical features like ray tracing on some games. Like come on now.

You need help my friend.

iJudged

Banned
so i still dnt know what this means, and on top of it all, why this announcement now? Wasn't this known before? wtf is happening

🤔
Xbox Series X has software based RT while PS5 has Hardware.
This explains a lot.
Question is.... what's the cost with it being software?
FUD
he dual compute units (DCU) of the Big Navi-like GPU inside the Xbox Series X do have specific hardware dedicated to accelerating the real-time ray tracing process. But that seems to be the only change to the RDNA 2.0 dual compute unit compared with the first-gen ones found in the AMD RX 5700-series cards.

Last edited:

RaySoft

There's no need to be upset. Save the spin energy for when the RT tech in both consoles can be discussed freely. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
What do you mean with RT tech? Cerny already disclosed they are using the same approach as AMD (and thus MS) What more is there to discuss? Effeciency is probably in favour of the Series X compared to PS5 since they have more CU's but the PS5 has higher clocks...

Edit: I'm only talking about RT here, just to make it clear.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Gentle reminder, the only thing PS5 has is a faster ssd, xbox has more and faster of everything else. So whatever xbox can or can't do, PS5 will be able to do it even worse.

As you were, sausage.

Top Bottom