• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A college professor has build a English course around "Good Kid M.A.A.D. City"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I firsthand observed plenty of friends in STEM fields take courses in my Political Science and History majors, do very well with very little work by comparison to their STEM courses, and give me the "lol so this is what you do at school huh?" treatment after farting out a term paper. And they were right: the level of academic rigor in the liberal arts fields was comical at our school.

I don't know if that's an adequate comparisson, political science and history are still relatively removed form the skills necessary for art studies (as it concerns the analysis and creation of art itself).

Piano

Banned
The problem is that STEM fanaticism has many chemistry experts thinking they can leap over to arts and literature courses and their superior brain will guide them through. There's frequently a refusal to acknowledge that no skill set is superior to another by default. They're simply different. Most of my STEM friends understood that, but there were always nuts too. I feel like I got to see both sides of it, double-majoring in math and film studies. Arts students will acknowledge that biochem is beyond them. Plenty of engineers-to-be act like they could ace a final on contemporary french film with a few days of preparation

I didn't get to take many English courses but I felt like what you're saying is true. Definitely holds for film courses. in each of those the professor would try to include one or two obscure personal favorites or relevant modern works, just outside the critical canon.

Yep.
Music is amongst the most demanding and rigorous programs at my University.

YoungHav

Banned
tumblr_inline_najfma9EDd1ruk3o3.jpg

So many maad non-stem majors ITT
Is this a green Cedric Daniels?

Kwixotik

While I think hip hop deserves to be studied, I can't imagine taking one without being annoyed at all of the ignorance that would probably be in the room. People that take it because it sounds easy, because they hear Swimming Pools at parties, etc would probably outnumber the people actually interested by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom