• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A dog almost attacked me today

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwk94

So, the weirdest thing happened today. I was walking out of my apartment and just as I'm coming up onto the sidewalk, I see a lady and her pit bull. The dog was on a harness and leash, but the leash was trailing behind it while the owner was walking a step or two behind.

As I'm about five feet away from it, I look at the dog thinking "aww, what a cute dog" when it suddenly starts growling and approaching me kinda fast. The dog wasn't running or anything, more like quickly going from left to right as if trying to psyche me out. My first instinct was to run, but I knew if I did that, the thing would probably run after me and actually bite me. So just as its at my foot, the lady finally snaps into action, grabs it by the harness and give it two spanks on the butt.

She told me "sorry, he's never done anything like that before." I'm not really shaken anymore, but I'm a super smaall, skinny dude, had that thing actually attacked me, it would've done some serious damage. I'm considering asking my apartment complex if there are cameras pointed at the sidewalks. Like, how would I have proved I didn't do anything if the thing just started attacking me? It's her word against mine, with nobody else around.

Yeah some doggos are pretty bad. Kinda figures that it was a pit bull. Not that they're inherently bad but lots of people don't train them well.

Kickz

On the real, how does one deal with an aggressive dog they come across in public?

Is it the no eye contact, etc>

jwk94

rjinaz

If a dog attacks a human, viciously, it usually doesn't end well for the dog regardless.

I've had some run ins with dogs. Been bit once on my leg, nothing major. My dog has gotten loose off her leash once or twice and ran up to people as if to attack. Thankfully she didn't and nothing else came of it. These things happen.

Bullshit that he's never done that before, and the owner needs to be much more careful because that dog is pretty much likely to do it again

Kyuur

Sounds like it was startled or wary of you, not about to attack. Hell, if you made a move it might've shrieked and ran back to its owner.

Although the owner hitting it is probably not a good sign for that doggo actually attacking someone in the future.

Fuck dog owners that don’t use leashes. Leash on dog, wrapped around hand, at all times if you’re outside. No fucking excuses. I’ve spent hundreds of hours with my dog and she won’t flinch from my side without a command, but I still would never take the risk of having her unleashed. It’s never worth the risk, and it just makes you and your dog look bad.

Yesterday I was hanging out on my apartment porch with my pup (on leash) and some friends, and my neighbor’s friend left with their massive pit bull. Dude just casually walks outside, holds the door open for his dog, and it immediately runs at me barking. As this is happening, the owner casually is like “just don’t look at him, also you don’t have any dogs out here right”. Dog proceeds to attack my friend, knock the table over breaking several coffee mugs, and attempted to bite my dog. Owner clearly knew his dog was aggressive, yet deliberately chose to walk it off leash in a crowded apartment complex.

TL;DR if you ever let your dog off leash in public spaces you’re a piece of shit and you should be ashamed of your behavior.

rjinaz

Agreed. What the hell was the owner doing the entire time the dog was approaching? Girl needs to pay attention.

Agreed. the thing about dogs is, you never know how they are going to react to certain people. There can be just something they don't like, the vibe the person is giving off, the smell. Something. You can't just make assumptions. I know my dog is aggressive so I always keep her away from people but even if she was only kind of aggressive, I'd be on top of it because you just never know.

I got bit by a dog once before. I was riding my bike and it came up behind me.

I think if you got into a "he said she said" the police would probably take your side... like why would you want to aggravate a dog? Though I dunno. Try not to worry about it too much.

edit: wow those first 3 replies are really rude. Is this not worthy of discussion?

I used to deliver papers, I've had my fair share of close encounters as a kid. The one day I had to sprint down the street from a Golden Retriever. Never saw an aggressive Golden Retriever in my life but that son of a bitch was the devil. I had to jump into the back of someone's truck to escape. The best part? I didn't even deliver the paper to them, they just let the dog freely roam their yard.

The other devil on my route was this old lady's ankle biter. He actually had a history of biting the post man though. She left him out on the front porch on a chain, he'd come flying off that porch at full speed and hit the end of the chain and fly back. One day I didn't see him on the porch and had to run out of his range.

I use to be a mailman so I had my share of dogs come at me. I had a pitbull come at me once but I stood my ground and pepper sprayed the dog in the eyes then it backed off. Still love dogs though but some are more aggressive than others also the mailman uniform didnt help either.

13ruce

Banned
On the real, how does one deal with an aggressive dog they come across in public?

Show your teeth or look as aggresive possible.
No seriously it can actually work and scare a dog.

Or walk by and stay relaxed a dog can sense fear.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, something like that is pretty much my nightmare. I have an extreme phobia of (bigger) dogs stemming from an incident when I was very young (like 2 or 3) where a dog bit me on the face. So now they pretty much terrify me. Like, I don't drive, so I walk everywhere, and I've pretty much made a mental note of which houses on my usual walking paths have dogs and won't walk past those houses. I'll cross the street to avoid them rather than walking by them. Which I'm sure makes me look stupid as hell, but whatever.

Not trying to be funny, but it's related enough to the thread:
I was almost hit by a horse today, while I was walking on the sidewalk. I mean, I'm not supposed to look behind me on the damn sidewalk right? Then a friend yelled "be careful!" and comes a horse galloping from behind me, barely escaped.. The kid riding it barely gave any fuck to the situation and went his way.

I mean, it'd be better than being hit by a bus like I almost am every week, but still.

I use to be a mailman so I had my share of dogs come at me. I had a pitbull come at me once but I stood my ground and pepper sprayed the dog in the eyes then it backed off. Still love dogs though but some are more aggressive than others also the mailman uniform didnt help either.

I'm curious if dogs instinctively hate mail men lol

My dad delivered phone books and I think a couple times he had a dog come at him. Once I think he had to put out a boot when it lunged at him. Dogs kinda scare me, I don't think I could deal with that.

i almost crossed the street when cars were totally coming my way today, but then i stopped where i was supposed to stop and everything worked out fine.

Fat4all

Banned
I'm curious if dogs instinctively hate mail men lol

dogs should know better

cliffclavin71814.gif

cromofo

I was attacked by a pit bull 4 years ago. Out of the blue on my way to home.

It locked on my lower left leg so I had to kick and stomp the fucker in the ribs and near the rear legs. When that didn't work I resorted to stabbing it with my car keys. After a couple of stabs it cowered like a bitch and ran away. No owner in sight.

Brutal stuff.

Keep your dogs on a leash and keep them away from strangers. Not everyone likes dogs or wants their hair and snot on their body.

Fercho

PROTIP: if you feel you are going to be attacked by a dog, cover your balls first. (i do it every time a dog passes me on the street).

Cool story, Hansel.

A lot of things almost happen to me today too.

I almost ate a bagel today.
i almost crossed the street when cars were totally coming my way today, but then i stopped where i was supposed to stop and everything worked out fine.

Was there a part of the thread title that confused you and made you click and post your "cool story bros" anyway?

Yeah some doggos are pretty bad. Kinda figures that it was a pit bull. Not that they're inherently bad but lots of people don't train them well.

Worst breed ever, dangerous to every living thing ever, should be wiped out for the sake of the poor innocent children, they make me piddle in my undies when I see them, yadda yadda yadda. May as well get all the usual trash out of the way.

Fuck dog owners that don’t use leashes. Leash on dog, wrapped around hand, at all times if you’re outside. No fucking excuses. I’ve spent hundreds of hours with my dog and she won’t flinch from my side without a command, but I still would never take the risk of having her unleashed. It’s never worth the risk, and it just makes you and your dog look bad.

Yesterday I was hanging out on my apartment porch with my pup (on leash) and some friends, and my neighbor’s friend left with their massive pit bull. Dude just casually walks outside, holds the door open for his dog, and it immediately runs at me barking. As this is happening, the owner casually is like “just don’t look at him, also you don’t have any dogs out here right”. Dog proceeds to attack my friend, knock the table over breaking several coffee mugs, and attempted to bite my dog. Owner clearly knew his dog was aggressive, yet deliberately chose to walk it off leash in a crowded apartment complex.

TL;DR if you ever let your dog off leash in public spaces you’re a piece of shit and you should be ashamed of your behavior.
fucking hope you called the police on that fuck. What a trash owner.

Hypron

When an unleashed dog runs towards my father while he's jogging, he actually starts running towards the dog and yells as loud as he can. Even big dogs back away... I've never tried that technique myself though.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I have Huskies. The only place they ever get off leash is at the dog park. Otherwise I might never see them again.

My strategy for charging dogs has always been to be louder, meaner, and more aggressive than they are. If they really wanna fight we'll fight. I've yet to encounter one that does though.

vikki

I used to walk through a friends yard to get home because it would cut off about a 20 minute walk around pretty much everything. Right next to the friend's house was a scrap metal yard with a pretty intimidating Doberman. He wasn't really aggressive, but he would protect what he thought was his, which was the middle of the fucking road every now and then. Whenever he was loose, I would slowly turn tail and head back to my buddy's yard because he had a huge German Shepard that was trained really well. The Doberman would usually wander back into the scrap yard after a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom