• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A dog almost attacked me today

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMI

Banned
I have been bit by a dog while running before, right on the hip. Luckily I was protected by two layers of sweats.

Recently I had a dog (off leash) come at me and chase me into the street before its owner could call it back. That was annoying. She wasn't even sorry about it.

Dog owners who let their dogs roam around in front of the house are trash people, IMO.

Fercho

I don't like pitbulls at all, regardless of the news reported about them (here in Mexico too) i do have the impression that they can snap at any time.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I was attacked by a pit bull 4 years ago. Out of the blue on my way to home.

It locked on my lower left leg so I had to kick and stomp the fucker in the ribs and near the rear legs. When that didn't work I resorted to stabbing it with my car keys. After a couple of stabs it cowered like a bitch and ran away. No owner in sight.

Brutal stuff.

Keep your dogs on a leash and keep them away from strangers. Not everyone likes dogs or wants their hair and snot on their body.

Yo this is the most hardcore shit I've read td 😳

bionic77

I don't like pitbulls at all, regardless of the news reported about them (here in Mexico too) i do have the impression that they can snap at any time.
Dog bites are pretty common in the US.

I think the fear with Pit Bulls is not the frequency but the severity of the bites.

Twice in the last year I've had large dogs with no leashes in sight running up to me. First was a doberman pinscher and the second was a husky. Both times the owners were like "Oh, don't worry, my dog's friendly!" while they stood like twenty feet away from the dogs.

Thankfully the dogs WERE friendly and only wanted to play/be pet, but still. Keep your damn dog on a leash, especially if it's a large dog.

I have a dog and he's always leashed up. Yet we get attacked by a bunch of fuckbois who think it's okay to come at me and my bull mastiff. Recently some poodle came out alley and up to my dog, started trying to bite him, and I just sprayed can air by his face. Dude threatened to call the cops because I scared his dog almost into the street but the neighbors on their porch told him he probably shouldn't since his dog attacked me and my pupper first. He apologized and ran off.

I always keep canned air with me just in case shit gets wild, mostly for my pup because he never fights back (thank god).

quabba

So, the weirdest thing happened today. I was walking out of my apartment and just as I'm coming up onto the sidewalk, I see a lady and her pit bull. The dog was on a harness and leash, but the leash was trailing behind it while the owner was walking a step or two behind.

As I'm about five feet away from it, I look at the dog thinking "aww, what a cute dog" when it suddenly starts growling and approaching me kinda fast. The dog wasn't running or anything, more like quickly going from left to right as if trying to psyche me out. My first instinct was to run, but I knew if I did that, the thing would probably run after me and actually bite me. So just as its at my foot, the lady finally snaps into action, grabs it by the harness and give it two spanks on the butt.

Crappy owner unfortunately means dog will act bad and very unfortunate when it's a pit bull.

I think in that situation you can turn away and keep your hands by your side or fold arms. It's a "I'm no threat to you and not interested" body signal where you're ignoring the dog and can descalate a dog that interested in you. Obviously YMMV depending on how aroused the dog is.

I have Huskies. The only place they ever get off leash is at the dog park. Otherwise I might never see them again.

My strategy for charging dogs has always been to be louder, meaner, and more aggressive than they are. If they really wanna fight we'll fight. I've yet to encounter one that does though.

Yeah, our Huskie will bolt the first chance she can, and won't stop running until someone catches her.

Last two times it was a pool she jumped in, and Animal Control.

Oof.

I hate when I see unattended dogs, you never know what they're going to do.

I know someone who's finger tip got bitten off recently by a French Bulldog. Yeck.

Kickz

When an unleashed dog runs towards my father while he's jogging, he actually starts running towards the dog and yells as loud as he can. Even big dogs back away... I've never tried that technique myself though.

Damn sounds aggressive, I would think 50% of the time the dogs flight or fight response would be to attack him head on

tcrunch

I watched Terminator 2 today and the dog was barking like mad at the evil robot.
Conclusion OP is an evil robot.
Get lost Skynet.

My mom wants to stop doing her evening walks in the neighborhood because so many dogs bark and get aggro as she's walking. We live in a nice suburbia too.

People got jokes but that does sound like an aggressive dog and the owner shouldn't have let go of the lead like that. You might report it to the apcartment manager, see if they'll crack down and make people control their dogs.

thia first page was lame. lets spice it up a bit. all pitbulls are assholes.

That's not remotely true. I mean sure according to the Houston SPCA they are and will thus terminate any they find (gee like lost ones thanks to the Hurricane) but still its not remotely true. Friends parents have a mix which is adorable and one of the nicest dogs ever and I have just recently started taking my dog to the dog park and there are two pitbulls who have been there (one who ended up being scared of my dog who all she did was turn around when getting sniffed and the other is this extremely affectionate pup).

Republicans and the people who made the Inhumans show though...

I'm curious if dogs instinctively hate mail men lol

Mailman comes to deliver mail, dog barks, mailman delivers mail and leaves.

Essentially the dog learns and thinks that if he barks the mailman leaves.

Answered seriously but not sure if you were serious lol. Probably not but whatever :p

I want to say and this is my personal theory which might be wrong, that since pitbull/pitbull mix dogs are so common and usually are bought by first time dog owners that don't train or socialize them well (Like the one in the OP) lots of people associate them with being a genetically aggressive. I have a friend that has a pit that when I come over looks like he will kill me if I step foot into his house. I walk in and the guys cat caused more harm to me then the pit mix (cat played with my hand) Also tough guys tend to buy pits since aesthetically they look tough and thats the only reason they buy them. No intention on training.

I like to think that if say the Labrador, a pure breed, was less expensive and somehow won the title of "Don't fuck with me" dog then a rise in labrador attacks would increase as well. But since labs are considered the ideal family dog then obviously someone that buys one is most likely going to have the intention to make sure it doesn't kill the kids.

PInk Tape

Banned
I've never had a big dog/dogs in general try to bite me before (thankfully) but I have had them jump on me and scratch me wanting to play.

I did, however, get chased and growled at by a Boxer who leaped over a fence while I was walking home at night.

I used to deliver papers, I've had my fair share of close encounters as a kid. The one day I had to sprint down the street from a Golden Retriever. Never saw an aggressive Golden Retriever in my life but that son of a bitch was the devil. I had to jump into the back of someone's truck to escape. The best part? I didn't even deliver the paper to them, they just let the dog freely roam their yard.

The other devil on my route was this old lady's ankle biter. He actually had a history of biting the post man though. She left him out on the front porch on a chain, he'd come flying off that porch at full speed and hit the end of the chain and fly back. One day I didn't see him on the porch and had to run out of his range.

Reminds me of

hqdefault.jpg

gaiages

Banned
Yeah, I've had a few near attacks myself, it makes me afraid of unfamiliar dogs for the most part. Shit can be really scary at the time. Last year I had two dogs run up to me unleashed (owner nowhere in sight) run the hell up and start barking and growling viciously, I was a mess because one of them was a very mean pit bull. Apparently so mean it attacked its actual owner in the past, so probably good I didn't try to show aggression towards it.

Glad things came out well in the end.

My question stands

Do you not know what a pit bull looks like?

You're on the internet, use Google.

When I was a very little kid some dogs mauled me while I was riding my trike. I was saved by a bulldog. Not a pit bull, a big ugly English bulldog named Major. He ran them off. I'll always appreciate that dog.

Ultima_5

This is why I report everyone in my apartment complex who lets their dog around w/o a leash. Fuck them. Also risking their dog running into my car when I'm driving.

Fuck dog owners that don’t use leashes. Leash on dog, wrapped around hand, at all times if you’re outside. No fucking excuses. I’ve spent hundreds of hours with my dog and she won’t flinch from my side without a command, but I still would never take the risk of having her unleashed. It’s never worth the risk, and it just makes you and your dog look bad.

TL;DR if you ever let your dog off leash in public spaces you’re a piece of shit and you should be ashamed of your behavior.

This so much. Last time this came up in a thread, the "my dog is under control" crowd was out in full force. Fuck that shit. It's only under control until it's not.

My neighborhood is all loose dogs, people who walk for exercise carry sticks.

I was walking back to my parent's house once and a lady with her unleashed dog were outside and the dog ran after me, I said to her get your dog on a leash, she acted like it was my fault her dog was acting up.

Jeramii

Banned
If I had a dollar for every time I heard a dog owner say "sorry, he's/she's never done that before." I'd have a decent amount of free money.

I hate irresponsible owners who just assume their dog is a saint and take no regard for other people or other dogs.

I have two Italian Greyhounds that require a significant amount of exercise off leash, which means I'm at the dog park a lot. I've had a number of experiences with lazy owners who can't be bothered to deal with their unsocialized dog until shit hits the fan, or is about to hit the fan.

Hylian7

i don't mess around with pit bulls

Oh look, it was a pitbull. Maybe they're more dangerous than many other breeds.
I don't know if you are all just troll baiting (Carlius probably is), but let's address this elephant in the room: If you think Pit Bulls, as in the entirety of the breed are a problem, then by your logic a bunch of breeds are the problem. You do see lots of reports attacks because many Pit Bull owners are assholes and don't control their dog. Yes, the dogs are physically strong and can hurt someone if left to their own devices with no training or control from the owner. Many other breeds can do the same thing, why are Pit Bulls singled out? I have met a ton of Pit Bulls myself and they have been very sweet, like almost any other large dog breed. I used to have one that was a Pit-mix, she passed away last year as she had been a street dog before the rescue we got her from picked her up, and she was pretty old too.

In conclusion, stating "Pit Bulls are dangerous and people shouldn't be allowed to have them." is not at all the answer. There are tons of larger dog breeds capable of the same thing if not controlled by their owner. Let's not be calling for Pit Bull genocide, as that always comes up at some point.

xrnzaaas

I was chased by decent size dogs twice, because apparently most of them don't like my bike. It's always good to have pepper spray on hand (apart from strong legs if you're on a bike and can actually outrun the dog ;)).

nkarafo

On the real, how does one deal with an aggressive dog they come across in public?

Is it the no eye contact, etc>
It happened to me many times because there are plenty of stray dogs where i live. This is a thing that doesn't really frighten me, it mostly pisses me off because all the times is smaller or medium sized dogs who shouldn't try to bully an adult man 8 times it's weight or whatever, i'm not sure. I usually grab something nearby and pretend i will hit it with it or pretend i grab a rock if there's nothing around. 90% of the time they flee. One day i had to kick one dog that tried to grab my leg. It did flee after that.

This should work with medium sized dogs. But i never got attacked by larger dogs or pitbulls. I would probably try the same tactic since you can't really outrun them.

bosseye

My wife was out with my two kids (aged 2 and 4 at the time) and walking through the park when a large dog (breed unknown) came bounding up and although not aggressive was aggressively excited and loud and barking and jumping and pawing all over my wife and kids; and the kids, being young and small and confronted with, to them, a gigantic hound from hell were absolutely terrified. They were screaming and crying and my wife was somewhat perturbed.

And the owner? 100 yards away calling "Don't worry he's friendly!" making no attempt to stop their dog from covering a stranger and two terrified young children in mud. And was then incredibly defensive to the point of blaming the kids for making a noise and exciting the dog when my wife had some choice words for her. Ended up making a complaint to the local dog warden but of course nothing was ever done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom