• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A few things they've discovered playing with the PS5 Dualsense controller

The Dualsense control unit has three different lights on the front
Haptic vibration also works with PS4 retro-compatible games
The sound of the integrated speaker is very clear
improved Battery life confirmation

Raonak

Banned
Huh, does that mean that some of those PS4 patches added dualsense support, or is it just emulating standard vibration?

It sounds like placebo to me.

How can better battery life, sound of the speaker, how triggers feel and so on be placebo? I bet you didnt even read it, right? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You think they cant use a time measuring device to objectively find out that battery life is better and so on?

Your comment sounds like fanboy down talk to me :messenger_savoring:

Dualsense seems to be really great controller made even better, one of most interesting feature of next gen to me & many.

TonyK

How can better battery life, sound of the speaker, how triggers feel and so on be placebo? I bet you didnt even read it, right? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You think they cant use a time measuring device to objectively find out that battery life is better and so on?

Dualsense seems to be really great controller made even better, one of most interesting feature of next gen to me & many.
I was only referring to vibration, sorry for the misunderstanding.

And in any case I would be a Sony fanboy, I want Ps5 day one and I had all Playstation since Psone. Simply, I think haptics is a gimmick as I think about vibration.

Mexen

Could this new controller be why certain QA activities have led to CP2077 delaying the game?

For example, maybe on PS5, certain haptic features enhance the immersion but they cannot translate easily to current gen? And that requires further tweaking or removal without breaking the entire code base?

Of course this is a multiplatform game so you won't get certain features on Xbox and PC out of the box relative to DualSense per se.

However, it is just a thought.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The Dualsense control unit has three different lights on the front
Haptic vibration also works with PS4 retro-compatible games
The sound of the integrated speaker is very clear
improved Battery life confirmation

"Retro compatible"?

Why...just why?

Clarissa

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy who hates Sony says that 3rd party game developers ain't gonna make use of the Dual Sense functions and It'll be a waste of time.
Only the handful of 1st party titles will make use of it.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
They should do 2 input lag tests on a PC -it must have Bluetooth 5.1 and USB 3.2 gen 2 to see the full results- to compare it vs DualShock 4.

Why would it need USB 3.2 gen 2 for a controller? I don't even need that port for my Oculus Q2. Is there any evidence that USB impacts BT input lag? What about those PCIE Wifi/BT combo things?

My friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy who hates Sony says that 3rd party game developers ain't gonna make use of the Dual Sense functions and It'll be a waste of time.

Well this will be true. Why would devs use a feature on one system when their game needs to run on the other and PC?. Who would pay for that effort?

Last edited:

Bruh, it's YOU that didn't even read his comment right 🤦‍♂️

He was clearly speaking about the Haptic feedback, and not the entirety of the controller.

Way to out yourself as blinded fanboy, SMFH.

yurinka

Why would it need USB 3.2 gen 2 for a controller? I don't even need that port for my Oculus Q2. Is there any evidence that USB impacts BT input lag? What about those PCIE Wifi/BT combo things?
Looking at it specs, USB 3.2 gen 2 available in 3 USBs of the PS5 offer way faster speed and way less latency compared to the previous USB versions used in PS4 or Series X|S, so it should offer less input lag when playing wired. Sony didn't provide details, but since DualSense uses USB-C I assume it uses the USB 3.2 gen 2 available in 3 ports of the consoles instead of USB 2.0 available in one of its ports (that may be to ensure 100% compatibility with certain PS4 legacy accesories and controllers even if USB 3.2 gen 2 is supposed to be BC with previous versions).

Looking at its specs, Blueetoth 5.1 is way faster and has way less latency than previous versions, so it should have way less input lag when playing wireless compared to previous Bluetooth versions like the one seen in DualShock 4 or XBO controller (MS didn't provide details about the Series X|S controller but it should use the same wireless than in XBO). Sony didn't provide details but I assume that if the console supports Bluetooth 5.1 it's for DualSense.

The input lag changes for each controller. I think it's pretty fair to assume that if a controller uses a USB or BT technology that offers way faster speeds and less latency it will have a better input lag, specially when connected to a device that supports it. Input lag is key for competitive play, and also for streaming games both via Remote Play or from the could with PS Now or similar services, or even for VR.

Here you have some controller input lag comparisions:
https://inputlag.science/controller/results
RocketLeague/comments/8wvf9u

Most controllers until now did use USB 2.0 because it's what standard console pads (like DS4) did use. So for these 'old' controlers you don't get an advantage when connecting the to a USB with higher specs, same goes with Bluetooth.

But if DualSense uses USB 3.2 gen 2 and Bluetooth 5.1 as seems to be the case, if you want to test its input lag unleashing all its potential, you'll need USB 3.2 gen 2 for wired and Bluetooth 5.1 for wireless.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
"The sound of the integrated speaker is very clear"

GREAT! It will hopefully live up to the potential that the Wii remote promised so long ago. I loved it in No More Heroes. But damn the quality was so bad on the Wii remote.

SkylineRKR

This could absolutely happen. Launch software will probably abuse it and from there it will be ho hum.

To the guy insisting that USB 3.1 matters for input lag, lmao no just stop you have no idea what you're talking about. For reference, people have been pushing polling rates of 1000hz and even higher on USB 2 way back in the mid 00s. If you aren't aware, 1000hz translates to 1ms input lag +/- 0.5ms depending on when a button was pressed vs when a polling event occurred.

Even in the case of Bluetooth, version basically hasn't mattered for a long time now as it uses a similar polling rate system to handle input lag on the controller. Typical cheapo adapters will function at 250hz polling rates but many quality ones can also go up to 1000hz. Again, none of this requires some special version of USB or BT.

I am quite curious to hear how much more battery life this controller gets over the DS4 as that was by far my biggest complaint with that controller and I can't wait to get more out of the dualsense. I will be using it exclusively on PC where the haptics won't be working on my PC (I wouldn't play my games muted with the controller speakers as the output device, so no haptics for regular use scenarios) so I expect it'll get even better battery life on PC since the motors won't be burning up energy as much. I am curious though if this means there are no fallback motors for basic vibration, and we'll be stuck without any simple Xinput style vibrations from older games. That would really suck and kill the controller for me.

I am surprised that your friend knows what "3rd party game developers" means. Has he picked up the words on a forum by any chance?

Last edited:

soulbait

Could this new controller be why certain QA activities have led to CP2077 delaying the game?

For example, maybe on PS5, certain haptic features enhance the immersion but they cannot translate easily to current gen? And that requires further tweaking or removal without breaking the entire code base?

Of course this is a multiplatform game so you won't get certain features on Xbox and PC out of the box relative to DualSense per se.

However, it is just a thought.

No. That is always something they could patch in later.

FrankWza

He downplays and bashes anything that's Sony :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting:

show him the list of devs already on board with Dualsense. Deathloop and Ghostwire won’t play the same on x if it ever gets ported because of what they’re implementing and 2k has player fatigue built into the controller feedback.

Clarissa

Banned
show him the list of devs already on board with Dualsense. Deathloop and Ghostwire won’t play the same on x if it ever gets ported because of what they’re implementing and 2k has player fatigue built into the controller feedback.
Is there a website that lists all the devs on board with The Dualsense?

That would help next time my friend bashes the playstation again. He does it on a daily basis actually lol.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You know the biggest thing I like about the dual sense so far? The thin lights. I do not under what everyone was thinking last gen and why MS decide to keep that in your face light bulb on those controller?? Just let us turn it way down or completely off!

FrankWza

Is there a website that lists all the devs on board with The Dualsense?

That would help next time my friend bashes the playstation again. He does it on a daily basis actually lol.

It’s in the OP

reinking

Gold Member
No way I would have thought a new controller would be my most anticipated thing to try going into the new generation. From everything being said about this controller it seems to be a big deal.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
After reviews dualsense will take on Nintendo for best controller, another win for SONY.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Apparently there's an anti friction ring (s) around the thumbsticks to make rotation easier+smoother.

It's supposed to be noticably smoother than the Series X controller.

Zog

Banned

This is one of those "asking for a friend' things.

Anyway, aren't people tired of controller gimmicks yet?

CrysisFreak

Banned
LMAO at the fact that MS thought a 90 day warranty would be remotely acceptable in the first place.

edit oops wrong thread

Last edited:

FrankWza

Apparently there's an anti friction ring (s) around the thumbsticks to make rotation easier+smoother.

It's supposed to be noticably smoother than the Series X controller.

It has friction. That’s the point in the upgrade. Unless the terminology is off, you want friction on the stick edge the way xb1 sticks have. The DS4 sticks didnt and were too slick.

Banned

you can turn off the triggers and the haptic vibration in the console's system menu, meaning it will not be used by anything that's relevant to the gameplay/design. no developer can count on these features being enabled, so the can't design around them.

Last edited:

SCB3

I can see some use cases for this, I'm interested in the example of God of War using the triggers to "Push Back" on your input for something like QTE's or heavy weapons until your character gets more strength to wield said weapon

Last edited:

FrankWza

you can turn off the triggers and the haptic vibration in the console's system menu, meaning it will not be used by anything that's relevant to the gameplay/design. no developer can count on these features being enabled, so the can't design around them.

But that won’t be the way the developers intended. You can watch inception on a 4:3 tube tv with a mono speaker but Christopher Nolan made it to be viewed in imax with imax sound or as close as you can get to it. You’ll still get the plot of the movie and see the beginning middle and ending, but you won’t experience it the way it was intended. Just because it can be dumbed down for other platforms doesnt make it the same.

Last edited:
Death Stranding patch incoming!
Oh my, potential here is HUGE. I wonder if they will implement it for PC version as well. If yes, I'm buying that controller on day one. I was skeptical about this whole haptic thing at first but the feedback :)messenger_winking:) in previews is very, very positive.

Banned
But that won’t be the way the developers intended. You can watch inception on a 4:3 tube tv with a mono speaker but Christopher Nolan made it to be viewed in imax with imax sound or as close as you can get to it. You’ll still get the plot of the movie and see the beginning middle and ending, but you won’t experience it the way it was intended. Just because it can be dumbed down for other platforms doesnt make it the same.

just saying... a lot of people also turn off rumble completely because they hate it. I can see many people turning this off asap. and developers have to take that into consideration.

Yoboman

I can see some use cases for this, I'm interested in the example of God of War using the triggers to "Push Back" on your input for something like QTE's or heavy weapons until your character gets more strength to wield said weapon
I wonder if they can do some cool haptics with the weapons

Heavy slashing feeling with some sort of freezing tension in the haptics for the axe
A looser sort of swinging haptic across the controller for the blades
A heavy thudding feel with the crackling of lightning if you use Thor's hammer

FrankWza

just saying... a lot of people also turn off rumble completely because they hate it. I can see many people turning this off asap. and developers have to take that into consideration.

Historically, sure. But the way we’re hearing the developers ideas on how they plan to implement, it feels like it is being designed into the experience. Not just complimentary. Of course, you can still play 2k without the fatigue change or Deathloop with weapon jamming but they enhancing the experience AND providing more depth to the gameplay.

SCB3

Heavy slashing feeling with some sort of freezing tension in the haptics for the axe

Yea thats the kind of things that really interest me, would it be a gimmick that lasts, probably not but I'll all for a experiment

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It has friction. That’s the point in the upgrade. Unless the terminology is off, you want friction on the stick edge the way xb1 sticks have. The DS4 sticks didnt and were too slick.
Interesting, I thought for sure they were anti friction rings that made rotation slightly smoother. I'll try to find the video...

FunkMiller

I keep coming back to the idea that with a game that uses stamina like Demon’s Souls you could program the DualSense to get harder to use the more tired your character gets.

The controller could legitimately replace stuff on the HUD.

FrankWza

I keep coming back to the idea that with a game that uses stamina like Demon’s Souls you could program the DualSense to get harder to use the more tired your character gets.

The controller could legitimately replace stuff on the HUD.

They have this in 2k.

Interesting, I thought for sure they were anti friction rings that made rotation slightly smoother. I'll try to find the video...

It was the teardown video. The terminology sounded strange to me. I for one want friction. The Dualsense has little nubs on the sticks that are like sandpaper say. They aren’t as harsh as xb1 but they are there unlike DS4 which were non existent

Top Bottom