• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Games A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
TMCC Update - almost entirely about Reach obviously. Yep yep yep!

• PC Forge and Theater are coming online for Halo: Reach later next year (Forge and Theater will be available on Xbox One as of 12/3).
  • PC Files share uploads will not be active at launch
  • UGC migration over 6.2 million maps and modes happened this year and that content will be accessible in game as of 12/3.
  • There are some improvements coming to Forge next year, but you need to read below in our technical deep dive for all of the spoilers.
Also, check out these new forge items. Image from TMCC update:

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc2049

Havoc2049

Mar 30, 2011
Arizona
^^^^
Love that Reach sandbox and all the cool Halo lore gear and equipment.

So, the Official Xbox Magazine just listed what they feel are the Top 100 Xbox games of all time in the November 2019 issue! I splurged and paid the high import price for the mag ($15!!), as it had a cool Halo poster in it and I was wondering about the Top 100.

What didn't make the list (hmm, all 343 Halo produced games...):
Halo 5
Halo 4
Halo Wars
Halo Wars 2
Spartan Strike
Spartan Assault

What made the list (hmm, all Bungie Halo games, and all quite high on the list...):
#33: Halo 3: ODST
#28: Halo 2
#17: Halo Reach
#15: Halo 3
And the #1 Greatest Xbox Game of All Time!!! (drumroll..): Halo: Combat Evolved!!!!

Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
^^^^
Love that Reach sandbox and all the cool Halo lore gear and equipment.

So, the Official Xbox Magazine just listed what they feel are the Top 100 Xbox games of all time in the November 2019 issue! I splurged and paid the high import price for the mag ($15!!), as it had a cool Halo poster in it and I was wondering about the Top 100.

What didn't make the list (hmm, all 343 Halo produced games...):
Halo 5
Halo 4
Halo Wars
Halo Wars 2
Spartan Strike
Spartan Assault

What made the list (hmm, all Bungie Halo games, and all quite high on the list...):
#33: Halo 3: ODST
#28: Halo 2
#17: Halo Reach
#15: Halo 3
And the #1 Greatest Xbox Game of All Time!!! (drumroll..): Halo: Combat Evolved!!!!
Pffft why would you leave out Halo 4 but put Reach at 17? That's idiotic. I found the full list someone posted online and it shows Halo Wars at 34. I was gonna say at least one of the Halo Wars needs to be there. Honestly, I dislike lists that include multiplatform games. The online multiplayer was a big deal during the days of the 360 obviously, but still. Like how can multiplatform games be the greatest xbox games ever? It doesn't really make sense to me. Actually, now that i look at the list, it omits pretty much everything on the xbox one. No Ori and the Blind Forest, no Cuphead, no Sunset Overdrive. No State of Decay from the 360? Blarg!!!!!!

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Mar 30, 2011
Arizona
Pffft why would you leave out Halo 4 but put Reach at 17? That's idiotic. I found the full list someone posted online and it shows Halo Wars at 34. I was gonna say at least one of the Halo Wars needs to be there. Honestly, I dislike lists that include multiplatform games. The online multiplayer was a big deal during the days of the 360 obviously, but still. Like how can multiplatform games be the greatest xbox games ever? It doesn't really make sense to me. Actually, now that i look at the list, it omits pretty much everything on the xbox one. No Ori and the Blind Forest, no Cuphead, no Sunset Overdrive. No State of Decay from the 360? Blarg!!!!!!
These lists are always hard. Like on the OXM list, I would probably switch Halo 3 and Halo 2 and I would probably bump up all the Halo games a little on my Top 100. The OXM list also included remasters, such as Resident Evil 2, RE4 and Final Fantasy 7. Those are all great games, but I wouldn't include them on my list for the Xbox. I mean if your going to include games like that, then you might as well include classics like Doom, some of the classics on Rare Replay, the Sega classics (Crazy Taxi, Phantasy Star 2, Streets of Rage), Diablo 2, etc., but then it just gets stupid and almost becomes the Top 100 games of all time list.

This is in addition to your previous post about Halo Reach Forge. Looks like fun!

Reactions: Deputy Moonman
Jul 6, 2015
ODST done, that was a really disappointing ending, horde level to end the game off, really? Never thought I'd play 7 Halo games back to back.

Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
These lists are always hard. Like on the OXM list, I would probably switch Halo 3 and Halo 2 and I would probably bump up all the Halo games a little on my Top 100. The OXM list also included remasters, such as Resident Evil 2, RE4 and Final Fantasy 7. Those are all great games, but I wouldn't include them on my list for the Xbox. I mean if your going to include games like that, then you might as well include classics like Doom, some of the classics on Rare Replay, the Sega classics (Crazy Taxi, Phantasy Star 2, Streets of Rage), Diablo 2, etc., but then it just gets stupid and almost becomes the Top 100 games of all time list.

This is in addition to your previous post about Halo Reach Forge. Looks like fun!
That looks really cool. I've always thought it would be fun to be able to play as a grunt.😁

ODST done, that was a really disappointing ending, horde level to end the game off, really? Never thought I'd play 7 Halo games back to back.
Whoa you're already done? That feels like you finished those in no time. I didn't mind the ending to ODST. Plays like a big rescue mission and at the time hurogoks were these really cool and mysterious creatures. But I don't remember the flood being involved. Or are you talking about Halo 3?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2015
That looks really cool. I've always thought it would be fun to be able to play as a grunt.😁

Whoa you're already done? That feels like you finished those in no time. I didn't mind the ending to ODST. Plays like a big rescue mission and at the time hurogoks were these really cool and mysterious creatures. But I don't remember the flood being involved. Or are you talking about Halo 3?
I didn't mention the flood? I'm not technically done yet, I'm starting Reach next so still got one to go.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
It will be fun to see what this new engine can do. Granted of course he is going to hype up the engine on his linkedin/resume. But this is the engine that 343 claims is the reason for Infinite coming out so much later than expected. I can't wait to see it. I think it is probably a combination of the new engine and the understanding that releasing Infinite on the Xbox one right before next gen starts is just a really bad idea.

Reactions: CurryPanda

Havoc2049

Mar 30, 2011
Arizona
I think the delay for Halo Infinite was a great thing and maybe even planned, for the reason DM stated. After all the missteps with the XB1, MS needs a big time AAA Halo game for the Scarlett launch. If Halo Infinite is up to par with the Bungie Halo games, then Scarlett will be a success.

I've been going gangbusters on Halo over the last few days. On the game side, I completed a speed run of Halo 3 ODST and I'm currently three missions in on a speed run of Halo 3. I hope to finish the speed run of Halo 3 before Reach launches. I've also played around 10 matches of Halo CE multiplayer in MCC.

On the book side, I finished Silent Storm and just started the second book in the Battle Born trilogy, Meridian Divide. Once I finish Meridian Divide, then I'll get going on the second book of the Master Chief Story trilogy, Oblivion. Silent Storm was OK, but after some of the hype, I was expecting more. The Fall of Reach is still my favorite Halo novel. Out of the two current Halo trilogies that Microsoft has going, I actually prefer Battle Born, even though it's YA fiction. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:
  • Love

Havoc2049

Mar 30, 2011
Arizona
110% better than ending a Halo game with a QTE, fighting the Didact, ala Halo 4, which led to fighting the Didact every other level in the turd ball that was Halo 5. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I actually like the last level of ODST, as it starts out with the traditional last level vehicle run and ends with a large horde/Firefight battle, that was introduced with ODST and used in Reach. Flying off from the doomed city of New Mombasa as it was being glassed was pretty epic as well. The last bit with Sgt. Johnson was funny and classic Bungie (343 is in dire need of a sense of humor) as well (along with the missing link Easter egg). The Legendary ending in ODST also sets up the mystery of the dig site in Halo 3 extremely well, if you play ODST before Halo 3. The team character development is also 110% better in ODST than Halo 5 (which is also team based) and I actually give a shit about Buck, The Rookie, Capt. Dare and the rest of the team and how their story ends. BTW, the Halo novel New Blood actually compliments ODST extremely well and is a great read after recently playing the game.

Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
I think the delay for Halo Infinite was a great thing and maybe even planned, for the reason DM stated. After all the missteps with the XB1, MS needs a big time AAA Halo game for the Scarlett launch. If Halo Infinite is up to par with the Bungie Halo games, then Scarlett will be a success.

I've been going gangbusters on Halo over the last few days. On the game side, I completed a speed run of Halo 3 ODST and I'm currently three missions in on a speed run of Halo 3. I hope to finish the speed run of Halo 3 before Reach launches. I've also played around 10 matches of Halo CE multiplayer in MCC.

On the book side, I finished Silent Storm and just started the second book in the Battle Born trilogy, Meridian Divide. Once I finish Meridian Divide, then I'll get going on the second book of the Master Chief Story trilogy, Oblivion. Silent Storm was OK, but after some of the hype, I was expecting more. The Fall of Reach is still my favorite Halo novel. Out of the two current Halo trilogies that Microsoft has going, I actually prefer Battle Born, even though it's YA fiction. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I felt the same way about silent storm. It wasn't bad, but not mind blowing in any particular way either. So how is Reach going to be released? Will it be available to play immediately at midnight on the 3rd? And can you pre-order and download it in advance? I'm curious. Can't recall any specifics being given.

Jul 6, 2015
110% better than ending a Halo game with a QTE, fighting the Didact, ala Halo 4, which led to fighting the Didact every other level in the turd ball that was Halo 5. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I actually like the last level of ODST, as it starts out with the traditional last level vehicle run and ends with a large horde/Firefight battle, that was introduced with ODST and used in Reach. Flying off from the doomed city of New Mombasa as it was being glassed was pretty epic as well. The last bit with Sgt. Johnson was funny and classic Bungie (343 is in dire need of a sense of humor) as well (along with the missing link Easter egg). The Legendary ending in ODST also sets up the mystery of the dig site in Halo 3 extremely well, if you play ODST before Halo 3. The team character development is also 110% better in ODST than Halo 5 (which is also team based) and I actually give a shit about Buck, The Rookie, Capt. Dare and the rest of the team and how their story ends. BTW, the Halo novel New Blood actually compliments ODST extremely well and is a great read after recently playing the game.
The vehicle sections in ODST were making me lose my shit because of one retarded AI mannerism that's present in all of Bungie's games. Whenever you drive a warthog and you have a teammate in the gunner and they kill an enemy they will keep shooting the dead body for another 3 seconds and its infuriating when your playing on legendary and you got 5 other people shooting you but your marine decides to shoot the dead body for another few seconds.

Bathtub Fart

Sep 2, 2019
People are talking online about infinite as though it's doing to be a classic style. I call shenanigans. We haven't had this confirmed right?

Last edited:

CurryPanda

Will restrain his sexual perversions
Mar 4, 2019
It will be fun to see what this new engine can do. Granted of course he is going to hype up the engine on his linkedin/resume. But this is the engine that 343 claims is the reason for Infinite coming out so much later than expected. I can't wait to see it. I think it is probably a combination of the new engine and the understanding that releasing Infinite on the Xbox one right before next gen starts is just a really bad idea.

Italians ftw

Havoc2049

Mar 30, 2011
Arizona
I felt the same way about silent storm. It wasn't bad, but not mind blowing in any particular way either. So how is Reach going to be released? Will it be available to play immediately at midnight on the 3rd? And can you pre-order and download it in advance? I'm curious. Can't recall any specifics being given.
I downloaded Reach from the MS store on the Xbox dashboard. I had to search for it. It doesn’t unlock till 11:00AM PST on the 3rd.

Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
People are talking online about infinite as though it's doing to be a classic style. I call shenanigans. We haven't had this confirmed right?
The official word is that Infinite is going back to its halo roots. That could mean a myriad of things, but a lot players are thinking it will be a shift back to traditional gameplay. I'd love to see that happen but I'm not convinced it means doing away with abilities. I think there is a strong likelihood that 343 makes both classic and contemporary halo gameplay available within the game somehow . It's about the only way to please the split fan base. Quite possiy we will be waiting until E3 2020 for any substantial info on gameplay. Would still love a beta 😁

Reactions: CurryPanda

Kagey K

Dec 18, 2013
Goddamn I went back to the MCC tonight after taking a long break (2015) and apparently I have played 7 days on this. I had no idea I played it that much.

Got my 150th win tonight, but damn am I rusty.

Havoc2049

Mar 30, 2011
Arizona
Anyone down for for some Reach co-op on XB1? I’ve ended up working 58 hours over the past five days and haven’t had much time to game. Going to jump in today. I’m also down for some multiplayer.

GT: MajorHavoc 2049

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
Anyone down for for some Reach co-op on XB1? I’ve ended up working 58 hours over the past five days and haven’t had much time to game. Going to jump in today. I’m also down for some multiplayer.

GT: MajorHavoc 2049
Dang you have been busy. I'm just about to go into work and I work sat sun night too. So I won't be on for a while. I started to playing some wow and that is eating into my halo time a bit. I still need to go through the campaign myself but it will have to wait

Jul 6, 2015
Just beat the space level and I don't think I'm changing my opinion on Halo Reach with this playthrough. The multiple vehicle sections are dragged down by the horrible ally AI, I'm sure in co-op its a lot funner, but solo its bad. That space level was not very good, the similar level in Halo 4 was executed much better.