• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Lol

DD6cxqu.png
rofl doors must be built for hunters :messenger_grinning_squinting: or maybe giraffes!

Hey Havoc2049 Havoc2049 are you still using a razer wolverine controller? I've gone from kind of wanting one to really wanting one. Gotta find a way to convince my wife that it's a necessary purchase lol.

h00ters

I posted my initial feedback in the other thread but I know all my fellow die hard fans are here in the OT so thought I'd share them twice:

- Love the weapon sounds this time round. The BR hasn't sounded this punchy since its original iteration in Halo 2.
- They've definitely dialed back the auto aim on controller in anticipation of this game being a big drawcard on PC. Takes some getting used to but I'm starting to adjust now
- That being said, I'm REALLY struggling with the snipe in this game. It feels to me that the initial zoom is way too much and needs to be drawn back a bit.
- I've found the feedback on where you're taking damage from isn't as good as previous games
- Likewise, the feedback on when an enemy is one shot now is significantly harder to tell given all enemies have a permanent bright red glow to them. This could just be because it's a new system and I'm not used to it yet...
- I actually really like the equipment so far. Drop shield is the bubble shield but more evolved in that it doesn't just turn the fight into a standoff. It gives the person who deploys it a distinct advantage initially but a good player could still outplay them by breaking it down whilst utilising cover.
- Likewise, the grapple shot is great fun as well

Did they fuck up the Spartan bots or something? They don't seem any harder than the ODST bots, if anything they feel even easier. Just completely blitzed them on Bazaar and Live Fire.

I posted my initial feedback in the other thread but I know all my fellow die hard fans are here in the OT so thought I'd share them twice:

- Love the weapon sounds this time round. The BR hasn't sounded this punchy since its original iteration in Halo 2.
- They've definitely dialed back the auto aim on controller in anticipation of this game being a big drawcard on PC. Takes some getting used to but I'm starting to adjust now
- That being said, I'm REALLY struggling with the snipe in this game. It feels to me that the initial zoom is way too much and needs to be drawn back a bit.
- I've found the feedback on where you're taking damage from isn't as good as previous games
- Likewise, the feedback on when an enemy is one shot now is significantly harder to tell given all enemies have a permanent bright red glow to them. This could just be because it's a new system and I'm not used to it yet...
- I actually really like the equipment so far. Drop shield is the bubble shield but more evolved in that it doesn't just turn the fight into a standoff. It gives the person who deploys it a distinct advantage initially but a good player could still outplay them by breaking it down whilst utilising cover.
- Likewise, the grapple shot is great fun as well
The weapons do sound really good. I have yet to see the sniper rifle on a map. I'd agree that when I'm getting shot i usually can't tell from where it is coming. Sometimes I can tell when a bot is shielded, but most of the time I can't. I just keep firing and until they go down. I have trouble recognizing which equipment is which when i pick it up. Sometimes I don't realize i already have something on me and go to pick up the OS and end up looking stupid. I haven't figured out how to do anything useful with the grapple hook yet. It's fun but I usually just get team shot by bots if I try and do anything crazy.

Did they fuck up the Spartan bots or something? They don't seem any harder than the ODST bots, if anything they feel even easier. Just completely blitzed them on Bazaar and Live Fire.
My theory is that all the bots are tuned differently. Their playstyle was probably modeled after actual 343 employees. So each game the skill of bots can vary. 343 is likely trying to have a balance of 1-2 skilled bots and a couple lesser skilled bots. I've definitely ran across bots that felt like they were on an easy setting while others felt like they were cheating.

I have found my new setup (controller + mouse) for Infinite.

This I have wanted to a long time. I hate the left hand crab claw when using a keyboard. It's basically a big reason I moved to console/controller gaming a long time ago. Perfection, it will take some mapping and getting used to but this is the way. It might need a clamp or swing arm for the left hand controller stability but I wish a manufacturer would take this combo seriously and mass produce something at the level of Elite 2 controllers.

Last edited:
It's definitely buggy. But if they polish it enough it has the potential to be my favorite Halo MP since 3.

On another note, I really hope Firefight is in this game. And I mean REAL Firefight, not that garbage ass shit from Halo 5. Could probably do a lot of cool stuff with the friendly Spartan AIs.

PC scripting + bots + forge could be amazing and have a huge community/dev shelf life. Imagine if 343 support mods in the Halo ecosystem in the coming years.

I drool at the idea of campaign forging/full editing on PC being supported or open sourced.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly years and years ago they said they were looking into forgable AI for the next game. Now I have no idea if that was before or after the alleged development reboot(s). I just hope it made the cut in the end.

So when can we anticipate the next flighting/technical preview? Is that gonna be weeks or months apart?

EDIT: (unrelated to above) Ha I didn't see this and it was posted before or right when the technical preview was starting up:

While surveys will eventually get sent out to participants of the preview, there are feedback threads that you can visit right now if you want to post thoughts/opinions.

FEEDBACK​

We can’t wait to hear your feedback! In addition to the surveys we’ll be sending out to a portion of Halo Insiders on Monday, August 2, we’ll also have dedicated feedback threads ready and waiting for you over on Halo Waypoint and Steam. Notably, these links are currently live - but, the threads themselves will not unlock until the tech preview has gone live.

We know our Insiders will have a LOT of feedback and we can’t wait to hear your thoughts. However, we also want to be upfront and acknowledge that as we’re actively working on closing out the game and readying for launch, there’s only so much feedback the team can truly act on between now and then. Some feedback could be addressed now, others could be addressed post-launch, and some feedback might go against the team’s intent - either way, we’ll be sure to share the overall outcomes in a transparent manner once the flight dust has settled.

SEATS IN THE FULL UPRIGHT POSITION​

The road to Halo Infinite’s launch is paved by the hard work of teams here at 343 as well as the participation of our Halo Insiders. From the very first whiteboard scribbles all the way up to this week’s test, we’re thrilled to have such a passionate and driven community with us for this journey.

And, if all this tech preview talk has gotten you interested in flighting, it’s not too late to join us in the future! By signing up to be a Halo Insider, verifying your email address, opting into communications, and uploading your DxDiag (if you’re on PC), you’ll be officially added to our list.

In the meantime, stay tuned to H Halo on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook for all the updates as they happen.

And some eSports info as well:

Last edited:
Ha some stuff I didn't even think to try when playing the preview.

And apparently the plasma pistol is really good without the charge?

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Hey Havoc2049 Havoc2049 are you still using a razer wolverine controller? I've gone from kind of wanting one to really wanting one. Gotta find a way to convince my wife that it's a necessary purchase lol.
My daughter was spinning around on my gaming chair while playing Roblox on her iPad and knocked my Razer Wolverine Ultimate of the desk onto the tiile floor and it is all jacked up now. Using the standard Series Xbox controller. Great controller. Just keep the receipt and if you don't like it, just return it.

That rocket shot in the last tweet you posted was sick. 😎👍

Last edited:
My daughter was spinning around on my gaming chair while playing Roblox on her iPad and knocked my Razer Wolverine Ultimate of the desk onto the tiile floor and it is all jacked up now. Using the standard Series Xbox controller. Great controller. Just keep the receipt and if you don't like it, just return it.

That rocket shot in the last tweet you posted was sick. 😎👍
Sorry to hear it took a tumble. I managed to break my elite controller when I tried to replace a bumper, so now I'm using the base xbox one controller. So yeah I'm still playing on an xbox one for that matter lol. I was trying the technical preview out with my xbox one on a 75 inch screen and, granted my vision isn't the best, I didn't notice any issues with the graphics. I had fun playing it, which is about all one can ask for in a beta. I gave it an A in the other thread purely off of my enjoyment. Certain things are good and certain things need to be fixed. I'm hoping 343 can find a way to please everyone.

h00ters

With regards to the aiming, do we think that's simply a reduction in auto aim to put it more on par with PC? Or will we see noticeably tighter control when the finished version arrives?

II_JumPeR_I

With regards to the aiming, do we think that's simply a reduction in auto aim to put it more on par with PC? Or will we see noticeably tighter control when the finished version arrives?
Its not the aim assist or auto aim thats causing issues. Its the response curve that is ass, on top of that aim Acceleration you cant deactivate

343's aim has been fucked up ever since 5. It was perfect in 4 and the 5 beta. I have no idea why they changed it but it's definitely noticeable. The fact it's still in Infinite was pretty surprising to me, because a lot of people complained about it in 5.

In the Infinite survey they seemed to indicate they were aware of it. Hopefully they fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

h00ters

Its not the aim assist or auto aim thats causing issues. Its the response curve that is ass, on top of that aim Acceleration you cant deactivate
TBH I am used to the old school FPS customisation where the only real option you had was an overall sensitivity slider. So when I see all of those options like horizontal, vertical, zoom, acceleration etc. I just tend to get overwhelmed and leave them all. Theoretically, can you not just set aim acceleration to 0 (or whatever is closest to zero) so that it's basically nullified? Or does this then screw up some other aspect of aiming?

TBH I am used to the old school FPS customisation where the only real option you had was an overall sensitivity slider. So when I see all of those options like horizontal, vertical, zoom, acceleration etc. I just tend to get overwhelmed and leave them all. Theoretically, can you not just set aim acceleration to 0 (or whatever is closest to zero) so that it's basically nullified? Or does this then screw up some other aspect of aiming?
You can do that but it still just feels off. The issue is they had perfect aiming in Halo 4, I would go so far as to say some of the best if not THE best in the entire industry. They carried it over into the Halo 5 beta. But for some reason, they changed it for Halo 5's release and we've never found out why. And it unfortunately seems to have carried into Infinite.

Last edited:
I found it immensely helpful to spend time in Apex Legends firing range and changing all the custom settings drastically to learn exactly how they affect things and then adjusting again and again as I played over several days. I then made one set across some 25 settings of what I thought I wanted and tweaked it live in games as I realised what was wrong with my aim. I now basically never feel like I have a lack of control aiming and when I miss it is because I missed or got outplayed etc. I never feel like I'm fighting the controls or lost because it went twitchy or too slow vs what I wanted it to do control input wise. It's been great and I had a mate who plays low sensitivity in Halo like I do try my Apex settings but overall weren't for him. My game did increase and I'm killing more fools than ever.

It shows how personal those settings are and I highly recommend getting used to know what they do so you can balance out how you want to play. I'll be heading into Halo Infinite with far more understanding about what I want my settings to be and what to tweak right away. Of course you can download the Xbox Controller App and tweak a massive range of settings outside of games too.

You can do that but it still just feels off. The issue is they had perfect aiming in Halo 4, I would go so far as to say some of the best if not THE best in the entire industry. They carried it over into the Halo 5 beta. But for some reason, they changed it for Halo 5's release and we've never found out why. And it unfortunately seems to have carried into Infinite.

I'm with you on that.

Last edited:

h00ters

Yeah I still play the MCC religiously and I've never felt in any of the series that I'm fighting the controls. H5 I definitely felt something was a little bit but I haven't played that game in a number of years now so it's hard for me to go back and understand why.

I've never understood how people play on a sens above 4. Back when I used to play H2 and H3 competitively here on the Australian circuit, my teammates would play on 8-9. Blew my mind.

Yeah I still play the MCC religiously and I've never felt in any of the series that I'm fighting the controls. H5 I definitely felt something was a little bit but I haven't played that game in a number of years now so it's hard for me to go back and understand why.

I've never understood how people play on a sens above 4. Back when I used to play H2 and H3 competitively here on the Australian circuit, my teammates would play on 8-9. Blew my mind.
Same, my son switches Apex/Halo on to high sens and I'm just like you're going down buddy, you ain't hitting shit.

The best part of the Apex settings is you can have low sense for all your fine aiming but also when full sticking to turn around quick have it 180 in a flash still.

EDIT: you used to play ACL?

Last edited:
Same, my son switches Apex/Halo on to high sens and I'm just like you're going down buddy, you ain't hitting shit.

The best part of the Apex settings is you can have low sense for all your fine aiming but also when full sticking to turn around quick have it 180 in a flash still.

This right here! I'd prefer to tone down my aim settings in Infinite but then I can't turn around and maneuver for squat lol. So I try to find a happy medium between slightly faster turning and slightly more unwieldly aim.

Last edited:
Field of view also affects aiming. The larger FOV you set, the more you have to crank up your sensitivity or else it will feel slow as shit (this goes for all FPS games, not just Infinite). By the time the beta was over I believe I was playing at 120 FOV and 7 sensitivity on both axis. I also lowered acceleration and deadzones as much as possible. But I was just experimenting and I'll probably change it more when I play again.

One thing I'll say is the Xbox One 30FPS magnifies the aiming problem tenfold. It felt really fucking awful and I'd only play there if you absolutely have to, otherwise PC or the Series consoles are most definitely the way to go.

Last edited:
Field of view also affects aiming. The larger FOV you set, the more you have to crank up your sensitivity or else it will feel slow as shit (this goes for all FPS games, not just Infinite). By the time the beta was over I believe I was playing at 120 FOV and 7 sensitivity on both axis. I also lowered acceleration and deadzones as much as possible. But I was just experimenting and I'll probably change it more when I play again.

One thing I'll say is the Xbox One 30FPS magnifies the aiming problem tenfold. It felt really fucking awful and I'd only play there if you absolutely have to, otherwise PC or the Series consoles are most definitely the way to go.

Good point about FOV. I usually play on 70-90, any more and hate the perspective shift and false sense of speed. I also don't buy into this idea that 110 FOV is the way to go for awareness. Honestly in all the decades playing FPS games I've never once felt my lack of view hindered what happened in game. Awareness with the audio and visual habits I/teams have it's really not an issue. Generally when you're caught unaware it's due to camping or third partying which the FOV really has nothing to do with in my experience.

I get players each have their own preferences but for my a high FOV just feels and looks awful.

I had to go back and look up the field of view for Combat Evolved. That game has always been my favorite and I remember trying Halo 2 out for the first time and not liking it at all because of the narrower field of view. I also tend to get motion sickness a heck of a lot easier than most. For some reason I was thinking Combat Evolved's FOV was much greater. It's still the highest out of the early Halo games though.

Combat Evolved: 70
Halo 2: 62
Halo 3: 55! :messenger_open_mouth:
Halo 3 ODST: 70
Reach: 61

Old HBO forum post:

Last edited:

h00ters

Yeah mate. And after competing helped run their comps/did commentary for them for a few years up until pretty much the start of H4.

Good point about FOV. I usually play on 70-90, any more and hate the perspective shift and false sense of speed. I also don't buy into this idea that 110 FOV is the way to go for awareness. Honestly in all the decades playing FPS games I've never once felt my lack of view hindered what happened in game. Awareness with the audio and visual habits I/teams have it's really not an issue. Generally when you're caught unaware it's due to camping or third partying which the FOV really has nothing to do with in my experience.

I get players each have their own preferences but for my a high FOV just feels and looks awful.
I just personally like seeing as much as possible on screen, though I get how it can be disorienting.
I had to go back and look up the field of view for Combat Evolved. That game has always been my favorite and I remember trying Halo 2 out for the first time and not liking it at all because of the narrower field of view. I also tend to get motion sickness a heck of a lot easier than most. For some reason I was thinking Combat Evolved's FOV was much greater. It's still the highest out of the early Halo games though.

Combat Evolved: 70
Halo 2: 62
Halo 3: 55! :messenger_open_mouth:
Halo 3 ODST: 70
Reach: 61

Old HBO forum post:
Yeah, old games had shockingly low FOV. I've become a snob for both FOV and framerate ever since I got my PC and the new consoles came out. Once you get used to, say, Halo 3 at higher settings and then put them back to default it is borderline unbearable.

I just personally like seeing as much as possible on screen, though I get how it can be disorienting.

Yeah, old games had shockingly low FOV. I've become a snob for both FOV and framerate ever since I got my PC and the new consoles came out. Once you get used to, say, Halo 3 at higher settings and then put them back to default it is borderline unbearable.
I feel like I remember Combat Evolved's FOV being 90 degrees but I can't find anything online. What's weird is that I remember Halo 2 being narrower but don't recall Halo 3 being so extreme.

Hey more stuff leaked. Doesn't have to do with campaign but I'll still tag them.

Forge (AI confirmed?):

fOA8Rk1.png

Menu:

mVyLvuX.png

Helmets:

YBUWpsa.png

7VeBQ5o.png
fQNDcE1.png
nlphnoH.png

???:

eX0Jr3H.jpg
Hasn't there always been a toggle in forge mode to move around as a monitor? And what is up with that helmet? I guess variety is the spice of life but I don't like it lol.

I started a thread on gaming side in regards to this but it's not getting any traffic. So I'll repost here. Pretty awesome.

And what is up with that helmet? I guess variety is the spice of life but I don't like it lol.
I think it's an unfinished model but I'm not sure. It might be one of those "non-canon" ones they were talking about. I guess someone at 343 is a fan of Nioh lol.

Edit: Actually, I think it's a rejig of the Locus helmet from Halo 4/5.

jGoMmU0.jpg

Last edited:
I first saw it on the haloleaks subreddit. I think at least some of it may have originated from 4chan though.
Yeah I saw on twitter that it was from 4chan.

I don't know what everyone's opinion is on hiddenxperia (I frequently post tweets and videos by him) but I enjoy his clips. In this video in particular I think I agreed with almost everything he said. One exception where I disagreed with him was on him thinking the pistol in H5 was too powerful. One thing he mentions that I agree with him on is that not every weapon should get a head shot bonus. That should be limited to precision weapons.

Yeah I saw on twitter that it was from 4chan.

I don't know what everyone's opinion is on hiddenxperia (I frequently post tweets and videos by him) but I enjoy his clips. In this video in particular I think I agreed with almost everything he said. One exception where I disagreed with him was on him thinking the pistol in H5 was too powerful. One thing he mentions that I agree with him on is that not every weapon should get a head shot bonus. That should be limited to precision weapons.

I watched that vid earlier. I completely agree with all the negatives he listed, and some of them I hadn't even thought of.

I didn't know about the emblem thing. That's REALLY disappointing, it looks even worse than Halo 5's system. It's like they didn't even want to include it but were forced to.

Yeah mate. And after competing helped run their comps/did commentary for them for a few years up until pretty much the start of H4.
Nice work mate, share any clips you may have. ACL was fun to watch for me back in the day, even got into the odd custom with Benno like twice...and got suitably wrecked. I'm just not cut out for MLG/HCS/ACL style play. Vehicles, flags and bombs all day for me.

I started a thread on gaming side in regards to this but it's not getting any traffic. So I'll repost here. Pretty awesome.

That right there is an instant classic.

I watched that vid earlier. I completely agree with all the negatives he listed, and some of them I hadn't even thought of.

I didn't know about the emblem thing. That's REALLY disappointing, it looks even worse than Halo 5's system. It's like they didn't even want to include it but were forced to.
My hope is that a lot of the stuff we saw in the preview is placeholder to what will eventually be in the game. The emblem creation in TMCC is excellent. It seems strange that Infinite would go backwards in that regard. But I also think that with the way 343 has been selling Infinite as a long-term game it's more than likely that a lot of changes will be possible even post-release.

Last edited:
Spotlight is out:

EDIT: Just going through a bunch of the clips in the spotlight.

Last edited:

h00ters

Nice work mate, share any clips you may have. ACL was fun to watch for me back in the day, even got into the odd custom with Benno like twice...and got suitably wrecked. I'm just not cut out for MLG/HCS/ACL style play. Vehicles, flags and bombs all day for me.

That right there is an instant classic.
There's a fair bit of stuff up there, mostly interviews and stuff. This one was pretty cool though to interview the Immunity guys when Ogre 1 was on their roster.

There's a fair bit of stuff up there, mostly interviews and stuff. This one was pretty cool though to interview the Immunity guys when Ogre 1 was on their roster.

Solid interview mate, I'll have to check out some commentary too. Crazy Ogre 1 was on Immunity, I remember when Immunity went over to the USA for the first time and the big sponsors came on board etc. Always good to see some local lads giving it a real go. I just wish there was more cash going around in Aus, I suppose there probably is these days.

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

My hope is that a lot of the stuff we saw in the preview is placeholder to what will eventually be in the game. The emblem creation in TMCC is excellent. It seems strange that Infinite would go backwards in that regard. But I also think that with the way 343 has been selling Infinite as a long-term game it's more than likely that a lot of changes will be possible even post-release.
Microtransactions my friend, Microtransactions

I'm really hoping we get some more alien, futuristic and ancient style maps with Infinite. 343 really likes their extremely human factory/industrial locales, which are nice but get a little old after a while (see Live Fire for example). As long as the layout works well and promotes fun gameplay I can tolerate anything, but I really miss everything else.

Covenant themed maps like midship, chillout, damnation, citadel, assembly and gemini. (Truth was a good effort)
Ancient ruin style maps like Warlock, Guardian, and Sanctuary.
Forerunner maps like Colossus, Waterworks, Construct, and Epitaph. (I liked Haven and Monolith from Halo 4, Coliseum was alright from Halo 5. Solace was okay from Halo 4.)
Unique maps: Lockout - remote floating installation in subzero temps; Terminal - map with a train that comes through it; Zanzibar - massive fan with droppable platform and building door that opens; Countdown - massive rocket ship as the central theme of the map; Standoff - numerous large satellite dishes being a central them; Sandtrap - desert map with Driveable elephant; (anything with interactable mechanisms).

• One thing I think Bungie did really was with objective focused maps. Usually you had a means of fast travel via a ghost or warthog to the other team's base or a more protected but slower path by foot. Relic Burial Mounds, Zanzibar, Waterworks (any of the BTB maps really) and Terminal are really good examples of this map design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom