• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Ok, looks like there might've been a new round of leaks, though I'm slightly less sure of the legitimacy of these than I was the previous ones, so take it with a grain of salt.

Pastebin dumps:

Multiplayer announcers (Sgt Stacker/Superintendent):

Sentinel beam:

oqMxbTJ.jpg

Other stuff:

sDcmIIx.png
Tx1ilG4.png

sxNn0An.png

lVSJ3z3.png

Last edited:
Before I click on the spoiler, what information does it contain? :D
Are we talking campaign spoilers or specifically matchmaking stuff?

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

Ok, looks like there might've been a new round of leaks, though I'm slightly less sure of the legitimacy of these than I was the previous ones, so take it with a grain of salt.

Pastebin dumps:

Multiplayer announcers (Sgt Stacker/Superintendent):

Sentinel beam:

oqMxbTJ.jpg

Other stuff:

sDcmIIx.png
Tx1ilG4.png

sxNn0An.png

lVSJ3z3.png
Lol there is straight some FarCry shit in the Campaign

Yeah, might sound like an asshole but I really think they should maybe look into getting some new UI designers. 4’s was totally forgettable, 5’s sucked, MCC's sucked at launch and still isn’t great now, and Infinite's isn’t looking too hot either, at least IMO.

This "horizontal layout with giant squares taking up the screen" shit sucks and IDK why they're so obsessed with it.

Yeah, might sound like an asshole but I really think they should maybe look into getting some new UI designers. 4’s was totally forgettable, 5’s sucked, MCC's sucked at launch and still isn’t great now, and Infinite's isn’t looking too hot either, at least IMO.

This "horizontal layout with giant squares taking up the screen" shit sucks and IDK why they're so obsessed with it.
Haha the UI in Infinite is not that great. Definitely worth some constructive criticism lol.

Hopefully there is a physical Limited or Legendary edition.
The only legendary edition I ever bought for Halo was for Halo: Reach, and I didn't end up liking the game very much. So I'm paranoid to to do it again. It makes me superstitious that I'll jinx the quality of Infinite.

EDIT: To clarify, the quality of Reach was excellent. I just didn't like the game lol. I didn't like bloom; I didn't like the new abilities; and it's when sprint was first introduced to Halo 🤮

Last edited:
The only legendary edition I ever bought for Halo was for Halo: Reach, and I didn't end up liking the game very much. So I'm paranoid to to do it again. It makes me superstitious that I'll jinx the quality of Infinite.

EDIT: To clarify, the quality of Reach was excellent. I just didn't like the game lol. I didn't like bloom; I didn't like the new abilities; and it's when sprint was first introduced to Halo 🤮
I wasn't a fan of a lot of stuff Reach did either. I think the game was carried in a lot of ways by the sheer amount of content and features it had. Also since we were talking about it Reach's UI is excellent and probably the best in the entire series, 343 should really just copy it.

I wasn't a fan of a lot of stuff Reach did either. I think the game was carried in a lot of ways by the sheer amount of content and features it had. Also since we were talking about it Reach's UI is excellent and probably the best in the entire series, 343 should really just copy it.
It's interesting that 343 is using preset color schemes in Infinite instead of Reach's customization of being able to control basically everything about the look of the spartan. They still need a carrot on a stick for some microtransaction incentive.

EDIT:
  • My favorite pistols by use and power: Halo 1 > Halo 5 > Halo Infinite > Halo 4 > Halo Reach > Halo 2 > Halo ODST > Halo 3 Ugh 3's pistol was soooo bad.
  • Favorite BR: Halo 2 > Halo Infinite > Halo 4 > Halo 5 > Halo 3
  • Weapon I'd most like to see return for Infinite: Needle Rifle
  • Map remake I'd most like to see in Infinite: Tie between Construct and Guardian. Honestly, a lot of Halo 3 maps might be cool: Epitaph, Sandtrap, Standoff, & Rat's Nest. I'd like to play these maps with a weapon sandbox I actually enjoy. Shoot give me Monolith from Halo 4 too. And just for kicks, why not do a remake of Boarding Action from Halo CE. It's never been done and I'm sure they could adjust it to make it play well.
Don't ask why I keep colorizing all my text. I think I'm bored.

Comparison of the evolution of the different weapons through the different Halo games.

Last edited:
I'll play because I'm bored.
  • My favorite pistols by use and power: CE > Reach > 4 > ODST > Infinite > 5 > 2 = 3 (both are trash)
  • Favorite BR: 2 > Infinite > 3 > 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 5 (fucking hated 5's BR, its design, its firing style at launch... just disgusting)
  • Weapon I'd most like to see return for Infinite: Target Locator, Reach had a lot of weird "experimental" weapons that unfortunately got dropped immediately after (Bonus answers: Sticky Detonator + any of the missing classic weapons)
  • Map remake I'd most like to see in Infinite: This is HARD because the OT was a treasure trove of classic maps, some of the best in video game history. If I had to pick one it'd probably be Guardian because that was always my favorite "competitive" map.
Edit: By the way, that video reminds me - if (and let's be honest, when) they bring back the classic shotty, I REALLY hope it's the CE one. That's still by far my favorite shotgun in the entire series and it kind of got its balls cut off in all the subsequent games.

Last edited:
I'll play because I'm bored.
  • My favorite pistols by use and power: CE > Reach > 4 > ODST > Infinite > 5 > 2 = 3 (both are trash)
  • Favorite BR: 2 > Infinite > 3 > 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 5 (fucking hated 5's BR, its design, its firing style at launch... just disgusting)
  • Weapon I'd most like to see return for Infinite: Target Locator, Reach had a lot of weird "experimental" weapons that unfortunately got dropped immediately after (Bonus answers: Sticky Detonator + any of the missing classic weapons)
  • Map remake I'd most like to see in Infinite: This is HARD because the OT was a treasure trove of classic maps, some of the best in video game history. If I had to pick one it'd probably be Guardian because that was always my favorite "competitive" map.
Edit: By the way, that video reminds me - if (and let's be honest, when) they bring back the classic shotty, I REALLY hope it's the CE one. That's still by far my favorite shotgun in the entire series and it kind of got its balls cut off in all the subsequent games.
Yay I'm not alone in not liking the BR in Halo 5. Would always use the DMR instead (if available) or just run with the pistol.

I remember doing well with the pistol in Reach. It was the first halfway competent pistol since Combat Evolved (outside of dual-wielding in Halo 2 - which doesn't count). The problem was that it only had 12 rounds and required 5 shots to kill. If you wanted to get a double kill with it you had very little room for error. And I never understood why a skillful weapon should limit a player to only a double kill. Like hey work your butt off and congratulations you only get a double kill... Meanwhile people are running around with the AR destroying everyone simply by holding the trigger down. Plus, with bloom, the pistol was only really reliable at close range. The pistol in CE you could theoretically (though basically impossible) get 4 kills with all 3-shot kills. If bungie could have put 18 rounds or even 20 in the Reach pistol (but at a minimum of 15) it would have been a ton of fun to use.

The target locator was fun in the campaign. I do remember liking it and appreciating Bungie's experimentation with weapons. I completely forgot about the sticky detonator!

Yep, Guardian was good. I always judged it harshly because I had very strong negative opinions toward Halo 3. But I love the smaller arena style maps. Lockout, Guardian, Longest, Wizard/Warlock, Midship/Heretic. Those kind of maps haven't been replicated by other games, because they wouldn't work well with games like Call of Duty or Battlefield. Those maps truly distinguish Halo's arena shooter reputation from other games.

I have no strong opinion one way or the other in regard to the shotgun. I don't think if I have a favorite version from any game.

Last edited:
nillapuddin nillapuddin I saw your post earlier and didn't know if you'd mind if I shared it. I thought it was spot on regarding the enjoyment factor of playing against bots versus ridiculously sweaty matches in Halo 5.

For me personally playing against bots helped me not to stress so much during matches and I was able to simply have fun. Whether or not every match becomes a steaktacular wouldn't change my enjoyment of it and I can see myself playing bots when I want to chill or when I want to warm up before jumping into competitive games. The bots are more than sufficient skill to use for practice too.

Getting back to your point though I can see a lot of non halo fans or newcomers to the game really having a good time against bots. There is finally a place where people can come and learn the game without getting destroyed by full teams of basically pros. I've always surmised that Halo 5 had one or two mechanics too many which makes it nearly unaccessible to new players. It basically requires a controller with paddles or a player is already at a huge disadvantage. And that gets away from the spirit of Halo where it's supposed to be not just for serious players but for casual players just wanting to have fun and experience some Halo mayhem.

There is no way to enjoy getting obliterated. Slightly related It's one reason Im hoping 343 adds a solo queue for team games (slayer and objective). Repeatedly getting run over by full teams is miserable.

Anyway I hope you're right and Infinite becomes a huge draw for new players. I was previously against a battle royale in Halo but it's something I could get behind if it truly brings in thousands of new players. Or of bots can scratch that same itch then great. And if the progression system for experience and or credits or whatever can be followed by players in a bot playlist that too will go really far like you said.

Last edited:
Bots are fun for when you just want to chill out and fuck around. So many games are sweatfests these days - COD, Destiny, Gears - hell, even in Halo 3 you will get absolutely bulldozed if you're playing with low-mid skill randoms and going up against a coordinated team. That's part of why I really hope Infinite has traditional Firefight, it's just fun to sit back and fight AI sometimes.

Halo 5 especially just had way too much shit going on with all the abilities. If you were a new player going up against regulars, god help you. Not even Firefight was a good learning area because it was extremely punishing in that game.

Multiplayer map leaks:

My thoughts:
It's not that they're bad looking, it's just more of the same style. To me they look like maps from Halo 5. It's the same industrial complex mixed with forerunner textures. I'd like some more creativity from 343. Maybe in one of my earlier posts I should said no more forerunner stuff, because 343 doesn't seem how to make anything new from their previous entries. All of their forerunner pieces look like pieces from forge from both Halo 4 and Halo 5. I like the clarity and detail of the leaked images. It's more of an art direction/style that is getting repetitive. They'll still likely play well.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Last edited:
3 out of 4 of those don't look like Arena maps, they look like BTB or firefight maps etc. This is a good sign. I agree with the maps being same-y but I'm very happy to see clean lines and clean geometry to enjoy the gameplay in. Less clutter visually and during aiming or grenade throwing etc. If they just keep their focus squarely on the gameplay then I'm a happy Halo fan. I feel the Banished are having similar design issues where they basically have that human armour and weapons look. I wanted the Banished to be more animal, like the old hairy ape-like brutes, not textured like an elite wearing human armour again.

I just find it so weird they go through all this design and iteration work when the art from Blur's cutscenes is universally loved from the models and textures to animations and lighting. I've said it before, it's like they have a roadmap but just want to carve their own path every time. 343 and Blur created these awesome assets with the Halo 2 cutscenes and have just left it behind.

Given the rings are supposed to house thousands of species and save galaxies from extinction you'd think the biomes would be more diverse and therefore the maps more diverse. Where is some crazy alien shit? What of even the missions from Halo 5 that had more alien flora etc. I mean Earth based chickens on Bazaar is cool to see but they could have gone more out of this world. Just use the rule of 3 again, humans, enemies, weird alien shit. Perhaps we'll be surprised by the yet to be revealed maps or campaign but so far it's all looking very human based from the environments and enemies to the multiplayer maps and weapons. Shit even your personal AI could do with a Forerunner dark AI or digitised precursor or something to shake it all up.

Last edited:
Guardian from Halo 3 has the forerunner architecture, but for some reason it works and looks amazing. The forerunner surfaces look like they have aged and been weathered a bit. A lot of what I've seen from 343's forerunner maps are almost overpoweringly shiny, smooth and bright, with very little atmosphere (and perhaps that's the problem).

I wanna see different building materials. At least Bazaar went in that direction.

This, while dated, is refreshing to me. Not everything has to be clean and shiny polished:

Look at the textures on Sandtrap from Halo 3:

I've always been a huge fan of Colossus from Halo 2. Notice how it's forerunner but doesn't come off as super clean and bright either. I'm guessing some of that was due to the limitations of the xbox hardware, but it also gave the map atmosphere and sense of age/time.

If 343 had designed the same map this is probably how it would have looked. Not that it's bad. I loved Haven personally. It's just that it's the same material look every time:

I'm going through random google images from Halo 5 and I can't believe 343 didn't take advantage of designing a smaller 4v4 map similar to this warzone/campaign space:

Opinions about many of 343's maps are highly mixed, but looking back I really appreciate Plaza and Fathom. Both did a better job with atmosphere and everything. And that's still 343 resorting to their favorite industrial complex style.
Gamescom-plaza1.jpg

Give me some more Truth alien vibes please:

Last edited:
A problem I have with the blue and red outlines is that I get even more confused by red and blue colored players. I don't have a solution, but 343 needs to come up with one. That or go back to the original red/blue teams. I'd almost argue to stay away from colored highlights. Leave enemy players unhighlighted but use some type of illumination or increased brightness on friendlies. Not like an outline, but a noticeable illumination of the spartan itself. Or something more simple like a marker above teammates' heads with their name?

3 out of 4 of those don't look like Arena maps, they look like BTB or firefight maps etc. This is a good sign. I agree with the maps being same-y but I'm very happy to see clean lines and clean geometry to enjoy the gameplay in. Less clutter visually and during aiming or grenade throwing etc. If they just keep their focus squarely on the gameplay then I'm a happy Halo fan. I feel the Banished are having similar design issues where they basically have that human armour and weapons look. I wanted the Banished to be more animal, like the old hairy ape-like brutes, not textured like an elite wearing human armour again.

I just find it so weird they go through all this design and iteration work when the art from Blur's cutscenes is universally loved from the models and textures to animations and lighting. I've said it before, it's like they have a roadmap but just want to carve their own path every time. 343 and Blur created these awesome assets with the Halo 2 cutscenes and have just left it behind.

Given the rings are supposed to house thousands of species and save galaxies from extinction you'd think the biomes would be more diverse and therefore the maps more diverse. Where is some crazy alien shit? What of even the missions from Halo 5 that had more alien flora etc. I mean Earth based chickens on Bazaar is cool to see but they could have gone more out of this world. Just use the rule of 3 again, humans, enemies, weird alien shit. Perhaps we'll be surprised by the yet to be revealed maps or campaign but so far it's all looking very human based from the environments and enemies to the multiplayer maps and weapons. Shit even your personal AI could do with a Forerunner dark AI or digitised precursor or something to shake it all up.
Yep I think that is a big gripe I have as well. Everything is so human. We need to see some more diverse environments and locales. And I laughed at, "Just use the rule of 3 again, humans, enemies, weird alien shit." :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Hard to judge maps by still images like that so I'll hold off until we see more. They look... fine, I guess, right now to me though. But nothing amazing.

With the outlines, they should really just give the option to have either that or the traditional RVB.

Havoc2049

Plaza was one of the few memorable maps from Halo 5, IMO. The medium and large sized maps all felt like low budget forge maps made by a bunch of interns.

I thought Halo 4 had some excellent maps across the board and 343i's best work. I loved Haven, Complex, Solace, Landfall, Exile and Skyline. The skyboxes in Landfall and Skyline were epic.

Plaza was one of the few memorable maps from Halo 5, IMO. The medium and large sized maps all felt like low budget forge maps made by a bunch of interns.

I thought Halo 4 had some excellent maps across the board and 343i's best work. I loved Haven, Complex, Solace, Landfall, Exile and Skyline. The skyboxes in Landfall and Skyline were epic.

I forgot about Solace. That was a good looking map and played well too. Did you like Monolith?

More leaks. This time a batch of helmet models and voice lines possibly having to do with a game mode. Do not listen to the lines if you're trying to avoid spoilers cuz it may or may not also tie into the campaign.

TEerzEB.jpg

EDIT: Also this -

S0EvXRd.png

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Guess Battle Royale is what Staten was talking about in terms of your Spartan having a story? Maybe they are going the Apex route then.

More leaks. This time a batch of helmet models and voice lines possibly having to do with a game mode. Do not listen to the lines if you're trying to avoid spoilers cuz it may or may not also tie into the campaign.

TEerzEB.jpg

EDIT: Also this -

S0EvXRd.png

Lol at some of those helmets. To me most look the same as what was in Halo 5 with the exception of a few humorous ones. I see a hard hat and a snowman head...

It will be interesting if 343 ends up doing a BR mode after all since they downplayed it pretty strongly. Yet this person says it's been in the works for serval years? Probably just not a launch playlist?

Ugh I'm so ready for another technical preview! At least we now have gamescom to look forward to and a potential reveal on more campaign stuff.

YukiOnna

Not sure if it's a good idea to make the BR only playable if you purchase Infinite though, Firestorm ended up DOA because of it.

Not sure if it's a good idea to make the BR only playable if you purchase Infinite though, Firestorm ended up DOA because of it.
No that's a horrible idea. Is that what the leak said? The way I interpreted the rumor is that the BR mode will have references to the campaign in hopes of enticing people to buy the campaign. Meaning BR mode would be free to play.

Last edited:
Same general tweet about being prepared and signed up for future previews. But is that image something new? I thought it might be bazaar but now I don't think so.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty surprised if they paywalled BR, it'd be a pretty stupid decision. Being F2P is what skyrocketed shit like Apex and Fortnite to success.
They couldn't paywall it. Crossplay and F2P is what gets that massive population ticking over for fast matches and great region support.

To me it reads like multi/BR have in built hooks and progression leading players into the campaign to buy it. Makes sense and I hope it's like Reach where your custom character shows up and all cutscenes are in engine. Of course my first playthrough will be default Chief all day.

I wonder if the BR is just gonna take place in the open world campaign map, sort of like in Reach how campaign and multiplayer shared maps. Or maybe it's something to do with the Flood possibly being in both.

Edit: Also, here's some more armor leaks.
Xbkz1BT.jpg
aJheMiG.jpg
c9iiqak.jpg
Ac0iMkA.jpg

Last edited:
So where are all these leaks coming from? Do you think some random 343 developer is leaking them? It doesn't look like something you would find in game files, not the unfinished textures and all.

Edit: I haven't watched it but worth sharing. This is from earlier today.

This is making me want to get an xbox series x or at least a series s.

Last edited:
From what I can tell the leaks are coming from 3 main places:

1. Datamining the flight
2. The flight survey
3. Guys getting shit sent to them

There's probably more on top of that though.

YukiOnna

No that's a horrible idea. Is that what the leak said? The way I interpreted the rumor is that the BR mode will have references to the campaign in hopes of enticing people to buy the campaign. Meaning BR mode would be free to play.
Sorry, that's just how I read it when they said its got connections to the campaign. I agree it'd be horrible since no one is going to play it then.

To be fair, I haven't played TMCC much recently, so I haven't been able to see a lot of the changes. Does anyone feel that 343 is overdoing the skins and what not? Seems like a nothing burger to me.

Armor/weapons skins - Can be disabled so literally not an issue
New maps - Can see why people would have a problem with this, I like one of them (Waterfall I think?) but the other one is generic Halo 4 trash and does not belong in the Halo 3 rotation whatsoever.
Battle pass - Potentially annoying but not monetized so don't care too much.

Overall I feel like the positives of what 343's done with MCC drastically outweighs the negative. Still not perfect but it's currently better than I ever could have imagined.

Armor/weapons skins - Can be disabled so literally not an issue
New maps - Can see why people would have a problem with this, I like one of them (Waterfall I think?) but the other one is generic Halo 4 trash and does not belong in the Halo 3 rotation whatsoever.
Battle pass - Potentially annoying but not monetized so don't care too much.

Overall I feel like the positives of what 343's done with MCC drastically outweighs the negative. Still not perfect but it's currently better than I ever could have imagined.
That's awesome to hear. I want to play some more but I've been putting off re-downloading the game. It's a massive file size.

Edit: This sounds fantastic. I look forward to checking it out once finished.

Last edited:
Sorry I keep posting. Just can't stop thinking about Halo lol. I've been surfing twitter and looking for anything Halo related.

Last edited:
I am also keen on Halo at the moment, hanging out for campaign. Really hope they have PvE content this time around at launch, well beyond FF.

That Turf makeover sure feels like Duke Nukem. What a mashup.
A Turf remake would be fucking awesome. I'd really like to see maps that haven't been remade a million times before (IE not Blood Gulch, Lockout, etc.)
343 have certainly had enough time to be creative. If they don't have any PVE content at launch I'd be surprised, and really bummed.

I would be okay with a Turf remake too. I love the simple ideas that random people on the internet have when it comes to Halo. Simply changing the time of day on Turf to nighttime gives me some ODST vibes. 343 should hire a person specifically to surf twitter every day for inspiration regarding Halo design, especially matchmaking stuff. Bloodgulch has been done one too many times lol. I think Guardian is a prime candidate. Though I've already seen people saying they want another Midship map. Granted, I might be okay with that one as it is really popular. Is it true we might be getting a Countdown remake? It's not everyone's favorite map but could be really fun with Infinite gameplay. So what are the chances that jetpacks return as a form of equipment? 100%? 50%? 0%?

Last edited:
Throw in a terminal remake too. Agreed on not remaking the same maps again. Enough lockout and midship. I'm just over the MLG/HCS stuff, it's not what I or my friends want from Halo for the most time spent playing. MCC is riddled with it in social.

Top Bottom