• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Hat in Time Kickstarter. Wind Waker-styled 3D platformer, PC/Mac/possibly Wii U

-MD-

Was really hoping we'd see a release date at the end of that trailer.

Still looks amazing though, can't wait.

BPoole

I forgot I even backed this. Looking great so far. I'm hoping it's out by the end of this year since the PC is seriously lacking in 3D platformers

Raysoul

Very impressive trailer. Would really buy this either on PC or Wii U, but definitely this game is designed for Nintendo fans so here's me hoping for them to get a Wii U publisher.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Act2,scene3 from that alpha is amazing.

e_i

Beta coming next week, March 7th:

It's time to rise, Hat Kid!
We are happy to announce that the A Hat in Time Beta Build will be available March 7th for beta backers!
We have put up an official announcement on our website, please check it out!
We hope you'll all enjoy the massive leaps we've made since Alpha! We'll do our best to distribute keys on the 7th, but we predict that it will likely take a few hours to distribute them all on that day, so please sit tight as we run our machinery on the 7th.
If you are a backer, but not part of the beta tier, we will be putting up an upgrade option on the 7th on our website! We'll make sure to post an additional update when that occurs.
For info regarding game content, recording, streams, etc., please check out the above link! Thank you!

Time for the happy dance!

Even though I wasn't sure about this even after backing it on concept alone, the alpha played surprisingly well. Looking forward to the beta.

Grylvak

I believe I just beat the Beta. If I did, I'm really satisfied with the amount of polish and content for a Beta. I will continue playing until the full game comes out!

Damn that 'Beta Hero Challenge' to hell.

Beta coming next week, March 7th:

Time for the happy dance!

Mother3_Wes_Dance_Stamp_by_HentekoMekura.gif

The beta is pretty damn good; all of you who don't have it yet are in for a treat. Mafia Town is a whole lot of fun to explore. Oh, and the voice acting is surprisingly great!

jholmes

What nonsense?

The game is getting far fewer Grant Kirkhope tracks than originally promised, which is something that only came to light after Kirkhope said so in an AMA. The devs are telling everyone to stop asking about a Wii U port after winking and nudging their way to $300,000. They went six months without updating on Kickstarter, telling everyone to follow them on Facebook or Twitter where they can control the message, and only returned to Kickstarter updates after being warned about the TOS.

It's frustrating that people think Kickstarters are only ever home runs or entire failures when most successful projects fit somewhere between those extremes.

The game is getting far fewer Grant Kirkhope tracks than originally promised, which is something that only came to light after Kirkhope said so in an AMA. The devs are telling everyone to stop asking about a Wii U port after winking and nudging their way to $300,000. They went six months without updating on Kickstarter, telling everyone to follow them on Facebook or Twitter where they can control the message, and only returned to Kickstarter updates after being warned about the TOS.

It's frustrating that people think Kickstarters are only ever home runs or entire failures when most successful projects fit somewhere between those extremes.

They never promised a Wii U version, and from what I recall, it basically hinged on if they could get around the six figure Unreal console licensing fee. Which they obviously have not, or it would exist by now.

Wasn't aware of any update drama, but I guess I follow them on twitter so I didn't notice any gap in info about this game. "Control the message" sounds way over-dramatic.

jholmes

They never promised a Wii U version, and from what I recall, it basically hinged on if they could get around the six figure Unreal console licensing fee. Which they obviously have not, or it would exist by now.

Wasn't aware of any update drama, but I guess I follow them on twitter so I didn't notice any gap in info about this game. "Control the message" sounds way over-dramatic.

I encourage you to look at the comments section or the comments on updates and draw your own conclusions.

As for the UE3 issue, I'm glad you brought that up because their statements about the cost of a UE3 license seem to clash with all other accounts of what it would actually cost. As for "they never promised" the Wii U port, it's funny that you'd post that in this relic of a thread, which still has Wii U right in the title. They asked people to back the project in good faith and said they'd do their best, and it's been apparent ever since they haven't done that. They even forced the fans to get Dan Adelman involved themselves, as if their emails to him would go unheeded.

All of this is still plain as day on the Kickstarter if you care to dig through the page.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member

They didn't promise Wii U, but they had no problem name dropping it ad nauseum to a console fanbase that had no games.

They didn't outright say it, but they damn sure implied it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So wait this game isn't getting a Wii U port? Kinda disappointed if that's the case as I was looking forward to play the game.

Links_fantasy

They need to focus on getting it out on PC first, then they can probably look at options for getting it to consoles. Theirs lots of companies out their now who help indie devs port games to multiple consoles.

Lijik

I felt let down by the alpha, but some of the new stuff ive seen from the beta looks neat. Cant wait to try it. Hopefully the jumps have a better feeling of momentum to them, that was my main issue with the alpha.

The game received almost 10x its funding goal.

There is no reason for there not to be a Wii U port after they named dropped the Wii U quite a few times in the promotional stuff

Davey Cakes

I really wish THIS was one of the indies that Nintendo decided to throw itself behind.

This game has Nintendo inspiration written all over it and would fit the Wii U platform perfectly.

Saladinoo

Stoked for this. Does anyone know what the system requirements will be? Going to buy a new macbook pro soon, can intel iris (not pro) handle it?

The game received almost 10x its funding goal.

There is no reason for there not to be a Wii U port after they named dropped the Wii U quite a few times in the promotional stuff

Except for the reason that it isn't, which hasn't changed since the kickstarter was still running, and is pretty clearly explained in multiple places on the kickstarter page.

jholmes

I really wish THIS was one of the indies that Nintendo decided to throw itself behind.

This game has Nintendo inspiration written all over it and would fit the Wii U platform perfectly.

Dan Adelman himself told me he spoke to Gears For Breakfast about A Hat in Time. It really takes two to tango.

Except for the reason that it isn't, which hasn't changed since the kickstarter was still running, and is pretty clearly explained in multiple places on the kickstarter page.

In no way is anything about the Wii U clearly explained and they are trying to quiet any talk about it at all. Perhaps you like the work these guys are doing and feel compelled to defend them but their behaviour so far as courting Wii U money goes is indefensible.

I don't understand what you don't understand about it. It's not new news in any way what engine they're using and how expensive and unlikely it is to be used by an indie developer on a console game.

And I have no idea if the game is good, didn't back an alpha/beta tier.

Luigi87

The game is getting far fewer Grant Kirkhope tracks than originally promised, which is something that only came to light after Kirkhope said so in an AMA

That's a good point actually. Kirkhope said he only did two tracks for the game, right? When theoretically the KS should have promised six based on funds raised.

jholmes

I don't understand what you don't understand about it. It's not new news in any way what engine they're using and how expensive and unlikely it is to be used by an indie developer on a console game.

And I have no idea if the game is good, didn't back an alpha/beta tier.

I understand the situation completely: They started a game in UDK, pulled a number from the sky and decided it would cost them $100,000 to port it to Wii U, didn't follow up and get a real quote, and then got an extra $270,000 to make the game, after which they told everyone to stop asking about the Wii U -- after they got all the money locked up, and after they spent the Kickstarter campaign talking about the Wii U exhaustively.

I understand the situation completely: They started a game in UDK, pulled a number from the sky and decided it would cost them $100,000 to port it to Wii U, didn't follow up and get a real quote, and then got an extra $270,000 to make the game, after which they told everyone to stop asking about the Wii U -- after they got all the money locked up, and after they spent the Kickstarter campaign talking about the Wii U exhaustively.

For the record, I agree with pretty much everything you've said. I'll be pretty upset if this doesn't come to the Wii U, considering how much inspiration it has taken from various Nintendo games.

Dr. Buni

So it could be a Wii U exclusive, huh? How about no? I mean, I hope it comes to the Wii U eventually, but I am very glad it is primarily a PC game.

So it could be a Wii U exclusive, huh? How about no? I mean, I hope it comes to the Wii U eventually, but I am very glad it is primarily a PC game.
He never said anything about exclusivity.

Shovel Knight was released day and date with the PC version and Nintendo threw itself behind it.

MokocchiBro

Neo Member
I can't wait to get my hands on a final build. This game looks like the perfect call back to the 3D platformer collect-a-thons. I hope they get a Wii U version out just to get my nostalgia flowing even faster.

Lynd7

Re-watching that teaser trailer from last year. I hope the final game has the character feeling a bit more fluid, it looks a little stiff in animation and control.

Crayolan

So after switching my e-mail off a dead email I got my beta keys, and I played from the start to the end of Subcon Forest. The game's a lot of fun and I like that they make your objective clear in each act but let you mess around all you like exploring other stuff. I also really like Hat Kid's controls. You have a lot of air control which is further improved by upgrades like the hover and hookshot and moving around is pretty quick. The only problem is that there seems to be some sort of momentum in her initial jump which makes it hard to make single jumps onto small platforms (getting the key in the bathroom in 2-4 took me 2 tries because of this).

The badge system is pretty cool too, they make for good collectibles and none of them seem to be completely worthless, just situational. The green orbs, on the other hand, did nothing from what I saw and unfortunately suffer from worthless collectable syndrome.

Lastly, the music's great and I appreciate the little extra touches like giving Hat Kid a raincoat in 1-3 and the idle animations. Hat Kid's adorable.

I think I'm gonna stop playing until the full release of the game for now though; I don't want to be spoiled for everything before the game even comes out.

jholmes

So after switching my e-mail off a dead email I got my beta keys, and I played from the start to the end of Subcon Forest. The game's a lot of fun and I like that they make your objective clear in each act but let you mess around all you like exploring other stuff. I also really like Hat Kid's controls. You have a lot of air control which is further improved by upgrades like the hover and hookshot and moving around is pretty quick. The only problem is that there seems to be some sort of momentum in her initial jump which makes it hard to make single jumps onto small platforms (getting the key in the bathroom in 2-4 took me 2 tries because of this).

The badge system is pretty cool too, they make for good collectibles and none of them seem to be completely worthless, just situational. The green orbs, on the other hand, did nothing from what I saw and unfortunately suffer from worthless collectable syndrome.

Lastly, the music's great and I appreciate the little extra touches like giving Hat Kid a raincoat in 1-3 and the idle animations. Hat Kid's adorable.

I think I'm gonna stop playing until the full release of the game for now though; I don't want to be spoiled for everything before the game even comes out.

Thanks for the impressions!

e_i

Huh. It seems that the alpha version of the game in Steam just updates to the beat version without a key. Too bad I can't play tonight.

Top Bottom