• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Hat in Time Kickstarter. Wind Waker-styled 3D platformer, PC/Mac/possibly Wii U

Jobbs

Banned
Was starting to think posting lots of screenshots and gameplay footage in a KS pitch was a lost art. I support this.

won't name names but you know who I mean

aza

I love Grant's music and all, but it's kinda gross to lock one song behind an extra $40K.

I wonder if their instead planning him on having him do the full soundtrack, as that could be around the right price for it. Or if it is just one song, maybe they're planning on getting a cut of that money to put into other resources for the game.

catabarez

I wonder if their instead planning him on having him do the full soundtrack, as that could be around the right price for it. Or if it is just one song, maybe they're planning on getting a cut of that money to put into other resources for the game.

They had said not all of the money is going towards the song.

Vexxan

The term "Shit just got real" seems appropriate in this thread. We have to reach that goal, we just have to!

Grit

Neo Member

On their kickstarter:

(Please note that most of the money in the $150,000 stretch goal goes to improving existing chapters by adding enemies, NPCs, items and new abilities! Mr. Kirkhope has been very generous!!)

It seems its just a nice bonus for reaching that amount. I don't think they were expecting to reach more than half of their stretch goals so quickly

petran79

Banned

that is what I was wondering too. whether they've already a soundtrack and he has to rearrange it or add his own music in some levels.

aza

On their kickstarter:

(Please note that most of the money in the $150,000 stretch goal goes to improving existing chapters by adding enemies, NPCs, items and new abilities! Mr. Kirkhope has been very generous!!)

It seems its just a nice bonus for reaching that amount. I don't think they were expecting to reach more than half of their stretch goals so quickly

Didn't catch that, makes sense now. It has been cool to see how quickly the game's managed to raise funds so far. Hopefully all the support it's gotten increases the chance of them bringing it over to the Wii U with the publisher they mentioned they were in talks with.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wait, so is the main guy behind this really that Jonas "Mecha The Slug" Kaerlev dude, the same guy who stole assets and animations from his peers (Maxof2d etc.) for TF2’s mod TF Parkour? :(

69wpm

Let's promote this game on Miiverse and hope we can play it on our Wii U. My contribution:

wSMBovT.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKEWsQztfg

tkscz

They're waiting for a publisher for the WiiU version, but doesn't the eShop allow for self publication? In fact, I'm pretty sure they got rid of the "you need a professional office" rule for self publication (see Gunman Clive). Or is all this only for the 3DS eShop?

They're waiting for a publisher for the WiiU version, but doesn't the eShop allow for self publication? In fact, I'm pretty sure they got rid of the "you need a professional office" rule for self publication (see Gunman Clive). Or is all this only for the 3DS eShop?

Their unreal engine license doesn't allow them to put the game on wii u, it only covers a pc version

tkscz

Their unreal engine license doesn't allow them to put the game on wii u, it only covers a pc version

Well crap. Also, didn't know the UDK could produce color.

Glad to see it doing so well. I hope that publisher that is interested in porting it to the Wii U goes through.

Maybe Shin'en could publish it, or Nintendo themselves. Looks like a game they would publish.

Heyt

Banned
Oh man Kirkhope! This is going to be awesome. So happy they reached their goals, it's going to be great.

Oh man Kirkhope! This is going to be awesome. So happy they reached their goals, it's going to be great.
Kinda messed up that they already have a composer. Some poor chump trying to make a name for himself on a great looking project where everyone is trying to do the same, only to get bumped by an established composer who can get work anywhere he chooses.

I understand the draw of the established guy and I don't begrudge him for his interest in the game, I LOVE some of his past work, but I can't help but feel bad for the hungry little fellow who is at worst bumped completely and at best will be overshadowed anyway due to name recognition alone, if they decide to keep him around.

What's best for the project I guess.

disap.ed

Kinda messed up that they already have a composer. Some poor chump trying to make a name for himself on a great looking project where everyone is trying to do the same, only to get bumped by an established composer who can get work anywhere he chooses.

I understand the draw of the established guy and I don't begrudge him for his interest in the game, I LOVE some of his past work, but I can't help but feel bad for the hungry little fellow who is at worst bumped completely and at best will be overshadowed anyway due to name recognition alone, if they decide to keep him around.

What's best for the project I guess.

This. They would be crazy to not let Grant do this. This alone gave and will give a nice bump.

cafemomo

Decided to help this after much thinking and more research about.

Really excited for it now. I might donate a second time. Hell, I even got someone to donate $22 to it today.

If this ever gets a Wii U release, I'll buy it.

Vexxan

Ah that's cool then.

Dammn $40k for one song?? That's like 1/3 of their projected budget.

It's not $40k for the song, their Kickstarter page states it's just a goal, the money will be spent on improving a bunch of stuff and that Kirkhope was very generous (probably doing it for free I'd say).

Despera

Banned
Damn I remember this game from a while back... Never thought it would amount to anything.

Good luck to all involved as it sure looks charming.

It's not $40k for the song, their Kickstarter page states it's just a goal, the money will be spent on improving a bunch of stuff and that Kirkhope was very generous (probably doing it for free I'd say).

Kirkhope isn't getting $40k:
Ok. It just sounds like Kirkhope isn't in until they reach the $150k mark the way it's presented.

I thought every stretch goal price would be budgeted for that specific stretch goal. I guess there is no one way to do a kickstarter.

AoM

Learned about this through a YouTube comment. Will back at $20. The soundtrack sounds great so far.

Nearing $125,000 with 13 days to go. I snuck in as an early backer in the $10 range because I want this on the Wii U, but if they can't confirm it before their KS ends, I'll probably just retract my pledge and then buy it later on when/if it does come to Wii U. Still, looks like a fun game that I'd probably end up nabbing on PC some day if it doesn't ever make it to Wii U.

Vexxan

New update about the Wii U version today, they're trying to sort out engine licensing and whatnot but apparently Nintendo of America has shown interest so it sounds like things are moving in the right direction at least.

DaBoss

New update about the Wii U version today, they're trying to sort out engine licensing and whatnot but apparently Nintendo of America has shown interest so it sounds like things are moving in the right direction at least.

Good to hear. Will probably come later than the PC version. I'm thinking about getting a Wii U at the end of the year so it would be great to have a PC version and Wii U version. Any word on if they will retroactively provide Wii U keys if they get in?

Oh my fucking god at that license price. o_O

Why can't they just use a new engine for the Wii U version? Use Unity, that's free!

And yeah, Shin'en would be perfect! They can build the game with the Jett Rocket engine. They actually teased a Wii U version of JR2. Is Gears For Breakfast in Germany as well?

73V3N

Banned

Lot of hate for Wii U in the comments..

Top Bottom