• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Hat in Time Kickstarter. Wind Waker-styled 3D platformer, PC/Mac/possibly Wii U

Missed Cosmo's livestream so I'm watching the VOD right now, it can be found here for those to want to watch it.
I love how all of these prototype playthroughs quickly start ignoring the main objective to instead start exploring.

Easily why I'm so excited for this. Exploring and stumbling upon tasks or collectibles can make for hours of fun. Even when I'm not sure where that last Jiggy or bunch of Notes is in Banjo-Kazooie I am still having fun figuring it out. I think this game will be the same.

Glad they met all their goals.

We just hit $230,000! That means two additional Grant Kirkhope tunes, as well as more game content! And what kind of content, you ask? Well...

mafia_variety.jpg

We've been brainstorming some additional enemies! While we can't reveal our plans in this regard yet, rest assured that we're working hard on providing as much variety as possible with the funding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ime-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer/posts/521673

bridegur

I'm excited that this has done so well. It's nice to know there are still plenty of people interested in 3D platformers.

BPoole

Just pledged $25. I loved all the games that this is taking inspiration from, so I will no doubt enjoy this as well.

Man, they are at $246,110, so that means at least 4 Grant Kirkhope songs. I think I'll pledge $15.

At first I thought Grant was doing the entire soundtrack, I was prepared to give them all my money xD

afoni

Banned
Last minute backers are showing everyone else up, man. Know a guy who splurged a cool $70 last night after watching JoshJepson's prototype playthrough.

69wpm

I pledged $15, I need this game! Love the art style and animations!

Some tweet Yoshida and get these guys a devkit for PS4! do eet!

And a shitload of money for the UDK license? Otherwise it's in vain... I still don't know why they chose UDK instead of Unity, just doesn't make sense to me for an indie developer to go for that engine.

afoni

Banned
And a shitload of money for the UDK license? Otherwise it's in vain... I still don't know why they chose UDK instead of Unity, just doesn't make sense to me for an indie developer to go for that engine.

It was a personal project to begin with (I think) and Jonas never really expected his own personal project to get to a point where it ended up becoming something this big. He probably just used UDK because he wanted to play with UDK, simply put.

This is all guesswork, but I have been following the game for about 7 months, so I think my word is the best you're probably going to get on that unless you ask directly, haha.

TDLink

Man, they are at $246,110, so that means at least 4 Grant Kirkhope songs. I think I'll pledge $15.

At first I thought Grant was doing the entire soundtrack, I was prepared to give them all my money xD

Well they have 7 chapters plus the hub world due to funding. That means 8 "main" songs and likely a few others for certain situations. We know they have had someone else compose songs for the first 2 chapters (as heard in the released videos), which leaves at least 6 songs (but likely more). Grant is now confirmed doing 4 songs and likely 5 or 6 by the end of it. So it does seem like he will end up composing at least a decent percent of the game, possibly over half of it (although only one of the devs can actually answer that).

Put $50 in to back this and get a physical copy for the shelf. Very impressive project here.

Luigi87

Backed for $15.
Would have loved to go for a physical copy, but I live in Canada, and don't want to pay $22 shipping charge.

69wpm

It was a personal project to begin with (I think) and Jonas never really expected his own personal project to get to a point where it ended up becoming something this big. He probably just used UDK because he wanted to play with UDK, simply put.

This is all guesswork, but I have been following the game for about 7 months, so I think my word is the best you're probably going to get on that unless you ask directly, haha.

Interesting. It's still a pity because with Unity they wouldn't have to search for a publisher. Anyway, let's just wish them luck and hope for the best. If it comes out on Wii U, I will gladly buy it, but I don't want to play this on my MBA, it wouldn't be enjoyable.

Vexxan

To those of you who asked about paying with Paypal, according to the latest update they are apparently working with the Humble Bundle people to set up a store where you can pay with Paypal, Amazon and Google Wallet that will be available some time after the Kickstarter.

The final countdown begins now!
kickstarter_24hours.jpg

TDLink

Over $263k now. That's 5 confirmed Kirkhope songs. With 22 hrs left I think a 6th is fairly likely even if the pace lessens a bit.

dropbear

Banned
Just pledged $70.

Funding really picked up as the end drew closer. Great to see projects like this getting successfully backed on Kickstarter - how they're using the money to enhance the project and reward backers is spot-on.

Drago

So is it completely up in the air on whether this comes to consoles or not? I'll play it on a computer but a WiiU or maybe even a PS4/Vita version would be lovely. Wish we could get confirmation... hope they find a publisher to release on consoles. We need more 3D platformers.

gngf123

So is it completely up in the air on whether this comes to consoles or not? I'll play it on a computer but a WiiU or maybe even a PS4/Vita version would be lovely. Wish we could get confirmation... hope they find a publisher to release on consoles. We need more 3D platformers.

No confirmation that I have seen, but a WiiU version seems to be likely.

The Kickstarter campaign really seems to have exploded since the last time I looked.

So what would happen if I pledged the $15 but I wanted it on Wii U? Would it possible be released at the same time as the PC/Mac versions? Or would I just get the PC version and have to buy the Wii U version as well when/if it comes out?

catabarez

So what would happen if I pledged the $15 but I wanted it on Wii U? Would it possible be released at the same time as the PC/Mac versions? Or would I just get the PC version and have to buy the Wii U version as well when/if it comes out?

They have not confirmed a Wii U version yet. If they announce it they would likely give you an option.

TDLink

Over $280k now. That's 6 confirmed Kirkhope songs, with 8 hours left to get ~$10k more for a 7th, which is pretty doable.

Not sure how much music they are going to want in the game total, but with 7 worlds/chapters + the hub those 6 or 7 songs could be a large portion of what we hear in the game (unless they specifically have him make themes only for events/challenge maps rather than the main world themes).

After watching the live stream of it earlier, I'm actually very excited for this game. It's turning out better than I thought it would.

Over $280k now. That's 6 confirmed Kirkhope songs, with 8 hours left to get ~$10k more for a 7th, which is pretty doable.

Not sure how much music they are going to want in the game total, but with 7 worlds/chapters + the hub those 6 or 7 songs could be a large portion of what we hear in the game (unless they specifically have him make themes only for events/challenge maps rather than the main world themes).

Is this the point where I get to say "I told you so". Because, well, I did tell you so.

TDLink

Is this the point where I get to say "I told you so". Because, well, I did tell you so.

Well I never really doubted it, at the time I just thought getting a 6th was more of a sure thing. I am fairly confident right now we will hit that 7th song too and depending on how things intensify in the final hours, maybe even get towards (or to) an 8th.

But sure, lol.

I'm extremely excited to hear what Grant comes up with and see (and eventually play) all the different worlds. It's amazing what these guys have done with this game with so little money already.

So is it completely up in the air on whether this comes to consoles or not?

Last I spoke with them, they're hoping for a publisher with access to UDK because they can't afford the license themselves, which I guess is required if they want to put the game on consoles.

ec0ec0

i know about this thanks to cosmo. The other day he showed me a hat in time. Today the new WR for wind waker. Cosmo.

Top Bottom