• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Hat in Time Review Thread

Cade

Five hours is pretty quick. I think most people will take 10 hours to clear, 15 hours to 100%. Of course there's variance based on which levels you choose to do. If you do Alpine Skyline you'll probably be on the higher side as those levels are by far the longest in the game.

Which is weird too, because I think I did three of the Alpine Skyline hourglasses.

I'll chalk it up to being a Steam glitch and figure I'm probably closer to 7-8 hours?

The Polygon article cites Neogaf for the controversy. Then a thread about the Polygon article about Neogaf was posted on Neogaf to further discuss Neogaf's feelings, lol. It's... a bit incestuously self-referential, so I wouldn't take that as a signal of wider controversy. I'm sure most people outside of Neogaf are either unaware or don't care as much as Neogaf does. The game hasn't even been successfully review-bombed on Steam or Metacritic (though I saw an attempt or two.) But I think it's safe to assume that they won't be going back to the well for more voicework from him for their next game.
Anecdotal, but one of the main YouTube reviewer/streamers I watch basically cited Jontron as a reason why he's showcasing a different game on his stream as apposed to A Hat in Time. They're likely not the only ones to make that decision. A lot of games are coming out right now, stuff like the Jontron shenanigans probably don't help the game when people have to select what to review or stream.

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure GAF wants the Jontron discussion to continue, considering the locked threads, so we should probably drop the topic.

I'm pretty sure more reviews will come in once the game launches on console anyways. And I do hope the actions of one idiot didn't end up having any effect on the bottom line of either Playtonic or Gears. Both studios spent years on these games, and their launch shouldn't be hampered by some clown.

Which is weird too, because I think I did three of the Alpine Skyline hourglasses.

I'll chalk it up to being a Steam glitch and figure I'm probably closer to 7-8 hours?

Naw I believe you. I 'beat' the game in less than 10 and I went at a pretty leisurely pace. There's a decently sized game here but I absolutely believe it can be breezed through if you don't waste a lot of time going after all the random collectibles.

I think I had a similar play time, leaning on the shorter time: 6 hours for 25 hourglasses (not touching Alpine Skyline, though) and then 10-ish for '100%', though I'm sure I could squeeze in an extra hour or so by going for the remaining yarns / tokens. I don't think it's a problem at all that the game is short, though, and in fact, I personally think the game would be better off if they removed Ch. 4 and focused on polishing the other three chapters, maybe adding an extra Act for each in order to 'make-up' for it. The tight stories with fun off-kilter mechanics are what the game excels at, anyway.

Crayolan

I think I had a similar play time, leaning on the shorter time: 6 hours for 25 hourglasses (not touching Alpine Skyline, though) and then 10-ish for '100%', though I'm sure I could squeeze in an extra hour or so by going for the remaining yarns / tokens. I don't think it's a problem at all that the game is short, though, and in fact, I personally think the game would be better off if they removed Ch. 4 and focused on polishing the other three chapters, maybe adding an extra Act for each in order to 'make-up' for it. The tight stories with fun off-kilter mechanics are what the game excels at, anyway.

You are crazy. The level design on display in chapter 4 is some of the best in the 3D platforming space.

Stalwart

Finished it as well, what a great game. I'm sure more reviews will come in whenever the console versions are released but this was far better than Yooka-Laylee. Nice to see everybody in here enjoyed it as well.

sheaaaa

Just chiming in to say the Eurogamer review for A Hat In Time is absolutely fantastic. I was mildly interested before, but that review might have pushed me over the edge.

You are crazy. The level design on display in chapter 4 is some of the best in the 3D platforming space.

You really think so? Because I think it was, for me, the definition of "standard/nothing special platforming". (Which is a shame, because it was the world I was looking forward to the most pre-release). While every chapter before this managed to integrate the platforming challenges nicely with the 'story', making it always feel fresh since you were always doing different stuff (Ch. 2 is the master of this, I'd say), in here, most of the 'areas' are "long cutscene to get to it that gets old after the third time, basic platforming upwards through boring bridges and rocks, activate a horn at the top, go to another area, rinse and repeat.

Maybe they'll throw a gimmick here and there like tightropes, or the cats that steal your stuff, or using the Dweller's Mask to make some platforms appear, but you can find repeats of even those challenges, and it never gets past the basic stuff. Even the 'final areas' of each of the path feel underwhelming because of that: they introduce some cool mechanics in the Twilight Bell, but as soon as it gets more engaging, it's over. The Windmill is a solid platforming section, but as soon as you start weaving in and out of it, it's over. The Bird Cage's highlight is bouncing on that big bird at the end and then shushing the hourglass to not wake it up, because the rest is also pretty standard fare. And the Lava Cake looks cool, but it's basically only 'sinking platforms' - which are an easy challenge already, and are made downright trivial with the time cap. (which is not even really used outside of two button puzzles)

Then you add that you need to backtrack through areas you've already been through and through the long rope segments again for the Time Rifts and for reaching each area of the "big finale" (which is also a pretty underwhelming final boss for the area), and everything was just kinda "been there, done that" after finishing the second island. I really wish I could have liked it, because the theming is beautiful and the ideas behind the areas are great, but in the end it was just a chore to get through it, made more clear to me based on how I feel it doesn't even have 20% of the character of the other areas at the end of it. (And how the character there is even less integrated into the platforming challenges). I'd easily trade Ch. 4 for an expanded version of Queen Vanessa's Manor, haha. (or at least, I'd make it a smaller chapter just with the 'end areas' and remove basically all the cliffs in between.)

The Twilight Bell is the best section, though, for sure! It's just a shame it ended right after I thought it started getting really good.

kliklik

Banned
Anyways, I'm not entirely sure GAF wants the Jontron discussion to continue, considering the locked threads, so we should probably drop the topic.

I'm pretty sure more reviews will come in once the game launches on console anyways. And I do hope the actions of one idiot didn't end up having any effect on the bottom line of either Playtonic or Gears. Both studios spent years on these games, and their launch shouldn't be hampered by some clown.

Right, I only mentioned it to say that I don't think that's what's affecting the lack of reviews so much as the lack of a console release is since it's N64-inspired, and happily it seems we agree there. Like you said, we are getting a bit off-topic though.

I really hope we get news soon on a firm console release date!

Anyway, so Khonjin is basically biting Dunkey's style in reviews eh? Is that his thing?

Lijik

Its crazy how A Hat In Time only received $296,360 while Yooka Laylee got £2,090,104 the two are a great comparison of what you achieve with less and one knowing what it wants to be, I do hope it gets good sales I think with more time and more importantly more money they really could take the sequel to something really special.

I think the time spent in development is also a factor. Hat in Time had double the development time and during it GFB had the optics to rework or completely cut and replace some of the chapters.

how come i never heard of this game until now ?? this looks like it was inspired by my favorite 3d platformer of all time, Mario Sunshine

any news on when will it come out on PS4 ? if it's gonna take too long i might get it on PC

I envy you, I've been waiting for A Hat in Time since the pre-Kickstarter days when it was crude animation tests on Youtube.

Crayolan

You really think so? Because I think it was, for me, the definition of "standard/nothing special platforming". (Which is a shame, because it was the world I was looking forward to the most pre-release). While every chapter before this managed to integrate the platforming challenges nicely with the 'story', making it always feel fresh since you were always doing different stuff (Ch. 2 is the master of this, I'd say), in here, most of the 'areas' are "long cutscene to get to it that gets old after the third time, basic platforming upwards through boring bridges and rocks, activate a horn at the top, go to another area, rinse and repeat.

Maybe they'll throw a gimmick here and there like tightropes, or the cats that steal your stuff, or using the Dweller's Mask to make some platforms appear, but you can find repeats of even those challenges, and it never gets past the basic stuff. Even the 'final areas' of each of the path feel underwhelming because of that: they introduce some cool mechanics in the Twilight Bell, but as soon as it gets more engaging, it's over. The Windmill is a solid platforming section, but as soon as you start weaving in and out of it, it's over. The Bird Cage's highlight is bouncing on that big bird at the end and then shushing the hourglass to not wake it up, because the rest is also pretty standard fare. And the Lava Cake looks cool, but it's basically only 'sinking platforms' - which are an easy challenge already, and are made downright trivial with the time cap. (which is not even really used outside of two button puzzles)

Then you add that you need to backtrack through areas you've already been through and through the long rope segments again for the Time Rifts and for reaching each area of the "big finale" (which is also a pretty underwhelming final boss for the area), and everything was just kinda "been there, done that" after finishing the second island. I really wish I could have liked it, because the theming is beautiful and the ideas behind the areas are great, but in the end it was just a chore to get through it, made more clear to me based on how I feel it doesn't even have 20% of the character of the other areas at the end of it. (And how the character there is even less integrated into the platforming challenges). I'd easily trade Ch. 4 for an expanded version of Queen Vanessa's Manor, haha. (or at least, I'd make it a smaller chapter just with the 'end areas' and remove basically all the cliffs in between.)

The Twilight Bell is the best section, though, for sure! It's just a shame it ended right after I thought it started getting really good.

I love Chapter 4 cause despite being linear the peaks are designed in such a way that there are quite often 2 or 3 ways to get from point A to B if you're creative enough. There were several times I managed to skip a decent chunk of the level and felt really smart but I'm sure these skips were intended by the developers. This kind of design is not limited to Alpine Skyline but it really shows here because of how open the area is (that is to say, there are very few walls or ceilings), combined with some really satisfying platforming and more interesting enemy types.

I guess I'm just more impressed by the complexity and variety in the platforming than the flashiness and story more prominent in the previous chapters (not that I don't enjoy that too!). I would have loved to see another chapter take the existing mechanics even further for more difficult challenges, but Alpine Skyline is the peak (literally). I agree that the finale is disappointing though, having to retread areas isn't anything special and considering how good the rest of the game's bosses are I'd love to have another one. I'm guessing that one was due to time restraints.

Yeah, I did manage to get through some peaks in creative ways, which was a bit fun, but I dunno if the game conditioned me to check every nook and cranny by this point or if it's just how I play games in general, but I'd always go back down and take the main path to see if there was anything cool or a path to another island or what not. And unfortunately, most of the time, the main path just didn't have a lot interesting to offer, imo.

It might be interesting to go back to it and try and speedrun it down the road, but I also don't know if I'll only try any%, which wouldn't include Ch.4 at all, or if I'll end up attempting all Time Pieces too. Might help me appreciate Ch. 4 a bit more, if nothing else.

Luigi87

The finale to Act 3 was so damn good.

I'm really enjoying this game. I'm liking it much better than Yooka-Laylee, which in spite of backing both, I was originally more hyped for YL due to the staff, but ultimately AHiT is exceeding any expectation I had.

🎩
Nice unicode character. 🎩 as OT title proposition? It has exactly the right shape on some fonts
Syzl8ty.png

I do written reviews only (for a Metacritic outlet) and received a code on Friday. Not quite enough time to finish the game.
Thanks for alleviating my irrational fears! :p
The friday after the release? Yeah that's kind of late!

I know this isn't the OT yet, but Snowman gaming had an interview of the director [►] about the dev process. There's an interesting bit about the camera (timestamp)
Which reminded of an older interview with more infos about the camera and a spiffy gif:
OewYtiR.gif

What title we thinking?
Edit: Messaged purseowner to see if they still want to do the OT or not.

Bunch of dumb suggestions if you end up doing it.
A Hat in Time |OT| Pulling off a Hat Trick
A Hat in Time |OT| What the Peck?
A Hat in Time |OT| A group of crows is called a MYERDER!?!
A Hat in Time |OT| What is your Uncle Sister's Maiden Name?
A Hat in Time |OT| DCB4ILOSE
A Hat in Time |OT| The Hat's in time but the OT isn't.

A Hat in Time |OT| A 🎩 in ⏳
A Hat in Time |OT| It's about time! (not actually about time)
A Hat in Time |OT| Contractual Obligations

Windtrick

A Hat in Time |OT| You are now legally a bird
A Hat in Time |OT| Clocktowers beneath the OT

I'm really sad about the lack of spread/advertising of this gem of a game in most circles that I visit. Received a lot of "What's that?" when mentioning the game. I think I'm just comparing it to unjust standards like the behemoth Cuphead marketing campaign.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've taken the liberty of slapping together an OT and will put it up shortly. I apologise in advance to purseowner if he had still intended to do the the thread himself, but the game has been out for a few days now and he hasn't commented on the matter since saying on the 6th he'd try to get it up "tomorrow". In the time since then, the question has come up numerous times throughout this thread, TheMoon (caretaker of the OT OT) has asked if there has been any progress and, more recently, direct content has been attempted, all seemingly to no avail.

Now, I don't mean to tar and feather him for poor etiquette. My intent here is merely to illustrate that when reserving an OT, it's really important that you keep the community abreast of what is happening, even if that means admitting the thread will be late because of an unforeseen circumstance, so everybody is on the same page. Otherwise, you'll find that you've given rise to, well, this awkward and potentially frustrating situation, where an existing thread is functioning as an OT and nobody knows what exactly is going on.

Also, I appreciate the suggestions, but the title is "A Kid in Space" because I'm partial to wordplay almost to a fault. ;)

Edit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445084

MaLDo

Nice unicode character. 🎩 as OT title proposition? It has exactly the right shape on some fonts
Syzl8ty.png

Thanks for alleviating my irrational fears! :p
The friday after the release? Yeah that's kind of late!

I know this isn't the OT yet, but Snowman gaming had an interview of the director [►] about the dev process. There's an interesting bit about the camera (timestamp)
Which reminded of an older interview with more infos about the camera and a spiffy gif:
OewYtiR.gif

Is it possible to disable main character dithering?

Maximo

Awesome saves me from doing it hahaha the game is something special and deserves a OT.
Edit: Also perhaps a MOD edit at the start explaining the thread is for discussing just the game? Not sure how the Mods wanna handle it but seemingly since the last thread was closed seems like discussion about Jon is closed until something new comes up.

I posted in JaseC's lovely new OT, but feel I should say something here too.

I'd fully intended to make the OT on release day but life's nastily gotten in the way this week, so apologies to everyone for leaving you waiting for an OT that never materialised.

(Your OT title suggestions are all so good it would have been hard to pick one anyway)

I'm enjoying the game very much! But I've noticed it's somewhat power hungry for such simple graphics. In the
Parade
stage in World 2, I had severe slowdown in both 4k and 1080p, with my GTX1080. Perhaps it's a CPU issue instead?

I'm enjoying the game very much! But I've noticed it's somewhat power hungry for such simple graphics. In the
Parade
stage in World 2, I had severe slowdown in both 4k and 1080p, with my GTX1080. Perhaps it's a CPU issue instead?

I could swear I had 60fps at 1600p with a gtx1080. At least it was smooth as any other level. edit: 105 fps average at 1800p.

illusionary

PC Gamer - 86

http://www.pcgamer.com/a-hat-in-time-review/

At its worst A Hat in Time is merely good—a fun, workmanlike 3D platformer with a few technical wrinkles—and it’s only seldom at its worst. When it’s firing on all cylinders, a feat it pulls off with increasing regularity as you progress through the worlds, it’s a rival to some of Nintendo and Double-Fine’s greatest bits of design, even if it does feel a bit like a really good cover band’s imitation. The level design is constantly inventive, the characters are charming and memorable (if very silly), and the basic act of running, jumping, climbing, and collecting colorful baubles never gets old.

Mafia town doesnt look very good though, the mafia characters themselves look kind of disturbing actually lol

Later levels look nice

I think Mafia town, the world itself, also looks fine, the cartoon style works pretty well. Though it's true the mafia characters are stupid looking.

If you start examining things up to close, you can see how they use few polygons, how textures are a bit too flat and the lightning is flat, but.. you know, I think the important thing is how it all comes together in a cohesive, well executed art style.

Or perhaps better said, it's the other way around, it's thanks to the art style and strong theme that the flat and simple textures and lightning work, it makes sense, in a way, more than super detailed work. This is a world where npcs behave as inflated dolls when you attack them, and where there is a mustache girl with a mustache and it's normal, and you have a little panel door in the front window of your spaceship and people go to space without needed oxygen.

Fox1966

Neo Member
I am having a blast with this game!! Is anyone else loving the music? I think the music is superb, to me it really has a Nintendo "vibe" to it.

illusionary

IGN - 8.0

Also, video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJDuCvsGik

Aside from its creative hats and hat-based abilities, A Hat in Time never exactly feels like an inventive platformer. But it does its job well, even while suffering from the occasionally awkward camera issues that 3D platformers are often known for. It stands out, though, for its infectious and endearingly goofy personality, its creative and widely different levels, and its enjoyable platforming. And, of course, all those hats.

illusionary

Rock Paper Shotgun - Wot I Think (unscored)

But though these hiccups sometimes frustrated me, the vibrancy and dynamism that Gears for Breakfast brings to every goal, every level, and every character of A Hat in Time made the journey worth it. This is a game that, despite its derivative nature, manages to delight in the details enough to make me remember why I loved the games that inspired it to begin with.

Top Bottom