• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Linux port of The Witcher 2 is in the works

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
Neverwinter Nights has a native Linux version. Yep, no kidding.

I imagine it would be a pain in the butt to deal with old legacy code, but it could be done, I guess.

Interestingly, the SDL devs are working on SDL12_compat which will allow code written for SDL 1.2 to use the features present in SDL 2 (I'm assuming that the NWN linux version uses SDL as that is the norm). It might not be as simple as just dropping in an SDL2 shared lib but I imagine it will ease the pain a bit.

I reckon it would have accrued a LOT more sales on the PS3 compared to Mac+Linux combined.

Doesn't matter. It's a profit to effort ratio.

OSX and Linux is a pretty small effort for a pretty small profit. Low risk, low time investment. No dealings with other companies, no additional physical products. Supporting Linux after the OSX port is already done? No brainer.

PS3 is a pretty huge effort for a potentially large profit. They'd have to ship a new physical product, they'd have to deal with Sony, it's be a long project with a substantially larger development cost and time. Could it pay off? Maybe. But they've got a lot on their plate already.

The two situations cannot be compared. A company cannot blindly chase after everything that might accrue a lot of sales.

boskee

Now this is fantastic news. The Witcher 2 was the only reason I installed Windows on another partition (and removed after finishing it twice). I'm glad I won't have to do it again if I want to replay it + if they port REDengine to Linux, it will enable them to launch TW3 and C2077 on it too!

Nzyme32

Seems like CDPR/GoG are taking the linux thing to heart. If the witcher 3 happens to go for linux too, that would be pretty awesome.

Game Guru

The Witcher 2 is coming to Linux? But then that means...

(checks GOG Website)

GOG is adding Linux support! This means that SteamOS could very well be viable for the majority of my PC gaming library, so I'm happy about that.

gngf123

The quicker I can get rid of windows the better. Games and game development are basically the only reason why I haven't gone Linux only.

I do a lot of my work on a Linux machine though. Goodbye productivity.

RedSwirl

I still think it would make a lot of sense to port Witcher 2 to PS4 and Xbox One, especially with the TW3 delay. The Xbox 360 port was a miracle from what I heard but its visuals are probably significantly inferior to those of the PC original. I imagine PS4 and Xbox One should be able to handle TW2's maxed-out graphics settings, or close enough (excluding ubersampling obviously).

Ardvent

As the < 1% that plays games on linux i'm very excited for more developers targeting the platform. I want to see bigger engines get ported though, what other games have used TW2 tech? Just CDProjectRED's games I think.

Still, yay linux.

Boo AMD's new 14.14 drivers and flgrx XORG display issues

I want this Linux gaming shit to go away.

vuDul3q.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It looks like it's happening:

PNMGURG.png

Found on Reddit

Can anyone here confirm? I noticed that the Linux depot was added to the app but it's flagged as "unused" which means it isn't live yet, however it's not entirely unheard of for SteamDB to lag behind every now and then (e.g. the app and sub pages for Bulletstorm and Cart Life are, as far as SteamDB is concerned, still up on the store).

Edit: And just as I say that:
20929 Linux Bin 44.33 MB Encrypted

Perhaps it did go public briefly but for now it's locked behind the vp_beta branch that was just added.

Edit edit: And now the beta branch is gone. CDPR is in ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg mode at the moment. :p It's back. Seems the wrong app was used as the Linux depot, haha.

boskee

Can anyone here confirm? I noticed that the Linux depot was added to the app but it's flagged as "unused" which means it isn't live yet, however it's not entirely unheard of for SteamDB to lag behind every now and then (e.g. the app and sub pages for Bulletstorm and Cart Life are, as far as SteamDB is concerned, still up on the store).

Edit: And just as I say that:

Perhaps it did go public briefly but for now it's locked behind the vp_beta branch that was just added.

Edit edit: And now the beta branch is gone. CDPR is in ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg mode at the moment. :p

Oh well :(

At least we know Beta isn't far away.

Arkanius

Hurry up with those Linux drivers AMD.
I can't wait for the day I can finally change to Linux on my desktop.

The only bad part is that I sometimes really depend on Microsoft Office... Due Excel. And their Cloud solutions are serviceable at best.

UnrealEck

Man, I can't wait to ditch Windows forever. As soon as Linux adoption reaches critical mass it's bye bye Microsoft.

Same here. I'm particularly looking forward to Steam OS though. I want a barebones gaming OS with a web browser. If I ever want to try anything else not on Linux I can always fire up Windows.

NekoFever

I reckon it would have accrued a LOT more sales on the PS3 compared to Mac+Linux combined.

Porting to Mac and Linux has value to them beyond sales, as it builds experience with OpenGL and gets the engine running on it, which is important now that everything that isn't Windows or Xbox uses it. Plus there are no costs associated with selling those versions.

Meanwhile a PS3 port would require porting to an esoteric architecture that isn't used anywhere else and would have the costs of publishing a console game and getting it through Sony's certification on top of that.

Arkanius

Compatibility with a games library is the only real issue stopping me. I really hope developers pick up on OpenGL for their games but with this DX12 announcement the future's unclear.

Mantle is supposed to be platform agnostic and it was also picked by Cryengine right now. Not sure of Unreal 3 picked it up, but they also promised Linux support (So, OpenGL).
RED also promised Linux support in their new engine.

The future looks bright. Source 2 will of course also be Linux native.

boskee

Porting to Mac and Linux has value to them beyond sales, as it builds experience with OpenGL and gets the engine running on it, which is important now that everything that isn't Windows or Xbox uses it. Plus there are no costs associated with selling those versions.

That's correct. CD Projekt RED plans to licence the REDengine so it makes more sense to give it a proper multiplatform support for the future and skip previous console generations.

The game just popped up in my list of Linux games.
If you own the game you can download it, but apparently there is no executable so you can't actually launch it.

Top Bottom