• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look at Japanese Game Sales on Steam - Oct 2016 edition [Steamspy figures]

RIP TiTS SC.

Pretty good results for Disgaea considering that almost all of those purchaes are likely double, if not triple-dips. One has to wonder if those numbers are strong enough for them to give the PS3/Vita ports a serious look.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Some of these numbers are meaningless as they all either had huge discounts, launch day discounts, given free in a bundle, humble bundle , $1 dollar sales etc.

How many of these games have really fallen into those categories?

I'm sure plenty of them haven't been bundled either, but I think it depends on the publisher there.

DmC: Devil May Cry - 867.000
Devil May Cry 4 - 291.000
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition - 215.000
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition - 175.000

DmC got nearly a million PC copies sold on steam alone and that's just the PC version. Dang. So much for it ruining the series.

Linkura

Wow, Swery's games are much higher than I thought they'd be. He needs to make more games. Preferably a DP sequel.

That drop from TiTS FC to SC is unreal.

Corpekata

Banned

I'm sure plenty of them haven't been bundled either, but I think it depends on the publisher there.

All of them, and they were bought by prankster uncles that really just wanna play games on their couches because they were at an office computer 36 hours a day.

desmax

Yomawari seems to be doing fine, already selling as much as htol#niq despite being released this week.

I'm glad, really liking the game so far

RIP TiTS SC.

Pretty good results for Disgaea considering that almost all of those purchaes are likely double, if not triple-dips. One has to wonder if those numbers are strong enough for them to give the PS3/Vita ports a serious look.

There are Disgaea items for TF2 that you can get by buying the game, so I'd guess that brought a few people too

kswiston

Zestiria got a huge discount down to $6 or so.

Would be interesting to see how the "fire sale" strategy works out across the Namco games. God Eater is at 50% right now so it could get a jump very soon.

Steamspy offers 3 months of past sales/ownership tracking if you have an account. Based on a Google search, the crazy sale you are talking about happened in August. Sales barely moved. Meanwhile, the last $17 sale on Steam early this month added around 40k copies.

Most Steam users only bother to buy stuff on Steam, even if Steam sales tend to be just about the least discounted sales out there. Super cheap Humble Bundles are one of the exceptions. Cheap bundles from other sites are lucky to move a few thousand copies.

I think the only titles to ever be in a bundle are from Capcom and Sega, that's it.

Eila

Just a quick look those given for free include Gurumin, Dark Souls, some of the Sega games. For $1 it's much harder to tell but a bunch of them.

Holy shit, DQ Heroes sold on Steam WW what it sold on PS4 in NA.

Jeez, SE just won't be able to make DQ or any of it's spin offs a success anytime soon.

Well next time if they're serious about that, they won't just stealth release it two months after PS4 release in total secret.

But at least, and that's the point of Steam, they're not sitting on unsold copies.

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil 6 being at almost a million is crazy. Because that game wasn't even bundled once. The L4D characters, super great port, and people wanting to give it a second chance seemed to have helped that out. Along with sales of course. Seems to sell for about 10 often.

Revelations 2 is probably a bit skewed. Since episode 1 was given away for basically nothing in all of those bundles. Unless steamspy can search for specific DLC

Tizoc

For the most part I think these numbers are positive enough to encourage more Japanese title releases, but certain sales numbers do bother me.

Dragon Quest Heroes was a great game, I know that genre isn't for everyone, but it sucks to see that it has bombed.

Agreed, but VIII still has too many sales. ; )
It bombed because the port wasn't well optimized

kswiston

Just a quick look those given for free include Gurumin, Dark Souls, some of the Sega games. For $1 it's much harder to tell but a bunch of them.

There are over 180 games listed. A dozen or two had significant bundling (bundles >50% of the total units sold).

desmax

how does Ys I&II have more owners than Oath in Felghana

bump.gif

bede-x

I think you should add D3 Publisher:

Earth Defense Force 4.1 70000
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos 8000

EDF needs as much exposure as possible :)

Eila

I think you should add D3 Publisher:

Earth Defense Force 4.1 70000
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos 8000

EDF needs as much exposure as possible :)

GungHo also put Dokuro on steam before releasing Grandia 2. I didn't bother mentioning this because of the low sales, and that's including it being blundled once.

Dokuro Owners: 11,716 ± 2,797

There's just too many japanese games on steam these days to list them all.

jj984jj

So very little for the former and what percentage is "a bunch"? <15%?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
A lot of those high numbers are from bundles btw. Not shitting on them, but for example Deadly Prem has been bundled 347 times in the last couple of years.

Edit: which many of you have said :)

Another issue with many of these low numbers is pricing. It's usually about $10 too much for what they should be charging, I can only assume because they overestimate their audience.

Ports (in many cases bad ports) of years old games shouldn't be $30-$40 im sorry.

bede-x

There's just too many japanese games on steam these days to list them all.

True, but I'll always advise mentioning EDF, because I think it's of an insane quality and want it to do well. In order for that to happen first it has to be noticed :)

GungHo also put Dokuro on steam before releasing Grandia 2.

I know, I have it on both Vita and Steam. Such a poor PC port, but maybe I'm only saying that because it doesn't have proper controller support. IIrc it also suffered from tearing..

cj_iwakura

I assumed Origin did the best because it's PC exclusive, the rest are on other consoles.

The Silver Case - Owners: 3,847 ± 1,602

:(

Marche90

Wow, Swery's games are much higher than I thought they'd be. He needs to make more games. Preferably a DP sequel.

That drop from TiTS FC to SC is unreal.

You need to remember that TiTS FC has been on sale at $10 several times. TiTS SC's heaviest discounted price is $20, and even then, that happened only recently

Tizoc

Put Valkyria Chronicles over 1 mil, you monsters
Ive been saying this for months :p

Holy shit, DQ Heroes sold on Steam WW what it sold on PS4 in NA.

Jeez, SE just won't be able to make DQ or any of it's spin offs a success anytime soon.
Again it is mainly due to the wuality of the port
If the port was qloc level it couldve sold a lot better

Eila

So very little for the former and what percentage is "a bunch"? <15%?

It's possible to check each game here:
https://isthereanydeal.com/specials/#/
For $1
Guilty Gear Isuka
Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Ch. 1 only)
Lost Planet 3
Strider
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic CD
Sonic the Hedgehog
Some of the SNK games
The Last Remnant
Half-Minute Hero

I know, I have it on both Vita and Steam. Such a poor PC port, but maybe I'm only saying that because it doesn't have proper controller support. IIrc it also suffered from tearing..

Works pretty good with the steam controller. but yeah, they didn't bother emulating the touchscreen so you need to use mouse & keyboard or mouse and gamepad. And yes, it has terrible screen tearing, as well as being 30 fps.

bede-x

Works pretty good with the steam controller. but yeah, they didn't bother emulating the touchscreen so you need to use mouse & keyboard or mouse and gamepad.

Huh, never thought about that. Not a fan of the Steam Controller but Dokuro is actually a game I could imagine would play better with it. Will need to return to it soon..

jj984jj

It's possible to check each game here:
https://isthereanydeal.com/specials/#/
For $1
Guilty Gear Isuka
Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Ch. 1 only)
Lost Planet 3
Strider
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic CD
Sonic the Hedgehog
Some of the SNK games
The Last Remnant
Half-Minute Hero

I know I could. The amount isn't high enough to make these numbers worthless though. If you want you can ignore the publishers who have bundled their games, but even then I think most of them have some merit unless they were given away for free though.

Tizoc

It's sold more than any single Sonic game. Impressive.
Word of mouth and that the port is good
The sonic games mainly consist of dc classics a good port of the ps360 game and a cool racing game
Combined they outsold valkyria which isnt saying much because it would be like comparing a mario platformer to a pokemon rpg game

explain the Jet Set radio part (previous massive giveaway)?

surely it was successful based on those numbers, and successful enough that we should get a JSRF port.....

Eila

I know I could. The amount isn't high enough to make these numbers worthless though. If you want you can ignore the publishers who have bundled their games, but even then I think most of them have some merit unless they were given away for free though.

I think the same. I believe a lot of people aren't even into bundles and the like, and mostly grab their games from the steam sales.

kswiston

explain the Jet Set radio part (previous massive giveaway)?

surely it was successful based on those numbers, and successful enough that we should get a JSRF port.....

Sega gave away over 1M free keys.

I think the same. I believe a lot of people aren't even into bundles and the like, and mostly grab their games from the steam sales.

Bundles do inflate numbers, but it's not like we have many games selling 50k on the Steam and similar stores while selling 500k in Humble Bundles. For instance, the Sonic 25th Anniversary bundle sold 91k copies. Some of these were only the $1 tier games. The higher tiers sold less.

Shengar

Dragon's Dogma and Valkyria Chronicles number is impressive.
If only those numbers were there in the time when the games was released :(

mothball

Good numbers to reference the next time a small Japanese game is announced for Vita/PS4 and the inevitable port begging follows "so it can reach a wider audience".

kswiston

Dragon's Dogma and Valkyria Chronicles number is impressive.
If only those numbers were there in the time when the games was released :(

Dragon's Dogma is at a pretty high average price as well. I don't remember it ever being cheaper than $18 on Steam. No bundles either as far as I know.

I was helping, even with games that need english language mods!

Some of these numbers are meaningless as they all either had huge discounts, launch day discounts, given free in a bundle, humble bundle , $1 dollar sales etc.

Well, the thing is, many of those feed back into the system as per the Steam Sale Way.

Jimrpg

A good many of these titles weren't bad games, they were just bad ports. How bad a port it is, is totally up to the player playing though. But anytime there is a bad port, it gets translated to bad Steam reviews and the game tanks.

For example WOTS4 was in 30fps and the game and its 'prequel' WOTS3 basically got destroyed because of this. I don't think there would have been a chance to even get this game if it had to be entirely reworked to get 60fps. I'm not defending the bad port here. But I think its a tricky situation either get a bad version or not have the game at all. Which do players ultimately want? If the publisher can't fund a perfect port, what other options are left?

Some of those numbers are a real downer. Explains why small Japanese publishers aren't rushing to Steam. Is Carpe Fulger dead?

kswiston

Good numbers to reference the next time a small Japanese game is announced for Vita/PS4 and the inevitable port begging follows "so it can reach a wider audience".

Given that the large majority of these sales are "not Japan", I think that they are pretty good. How much do you think random Vita games are selling in the West?

There was a news article about the Danganronpa series breaking 200k in the west in April 2015. That was 14 months after the first game came out and 7 months after the second game came out.

The Franchise is at 150k on Steam. The first game came out 8 months ago. The Second game came out 6 months ago. Steam is worldwide, but Japan only accounted for about 2% of those PC sales. The games also have $30 price tags barring sales, so they aren't all that cheap.

I don't know many publishers that would balk at a 50-75% boost in unit sales on their back catalog titles.

cj_iwakura

Some of those numbers are a real downer. Is Carpe Fulger dead?

I doubt it, he's still active on twitter, I think he's still doing comfortably well.

And I am all for niche games selling hand over fist and hitting Steam. It brought us The Silver Case and could even bring us 428. It'd be impossible otherwise.

Top Bottom