• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at the design failures of Modern Multiplayer Shooters

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
There is something wrong with modern multiplayer shooters, and I don't think I am the only person that thinks this way. Over the years developers have, for whatever reason, molded their experiences into something that just doesn't feel good anymore. I am going to lay out what "I" think the problems are to get us started, but I imagine many of you have your own ideas and griefs so lets hear them!

*A note on "Realism" : To me a game should be challenging (high skill ceiling) and fun. Unless you are making a 100% sim it doesn't matter how realistic your systems are if they are challenging and fun. That doesn't mean the real world doesn't have some good examples to choose from though (as I will point out).

*A note on Negative Fun: Negative fun, or annoyance factor, is a term I will use, and I want to not confuse anyone. Basically, multiplayer shooters are conflict oriented and cannot avoid negative fun because one player will always kill another and that dead player will experience negative fun. That said, it is my belief that developers should provide the best possible experience for the dead player that they can. What I mean by this is that the losing player should know why they lost, and that the reason why they lost is due to the other players skill, and not bullshit (more on what I believe is bullshit later).

*A note to any dev that might read this: Please never add things into your game that lower the skill gap.

Low Recoil Spray to Win.
First on our tour of the Shooter Sins are games that play fast and loose with the laws of physics. Recoil is one of the areas where using realism helps game design. Guns should have realistic recoil, and firing full auto at a player 50 meters away should not end well unless the the shooter is a super human (or laying down with a bipod). You see, recoil mechanics are one of the best ways to have a high skill ceiling in a shooter. It takes time and practice to learn recoil in games that do it right which allows the good players to stand out. This gives gunplay depth and makes it less of a boring full auto grindfest. Unfortunately both COD and Battlefield have dumbed down recoil to the point that you can full auto spray someone from across the map and win. It is exceptionally bad in blackout, and battlefield 5. Even with modern firearm advances, real world operators don't really use full auto that much, but I bet players rarely take their weapon off full auto in battlefield 5's WW2. Don't get me started on Battlefield 1's recoil....

This sucks for me as a battlefield fan because I remember when the game took skill to be good at. Now anyone can log on and spray to win. Pretty much the only mainstream, non sim game, that still has rewarding shooting is PUBG, and when PUBG is doing something better than you, well, you know you've fucked up. You might think I am crazy here, but ask any of the big BR streamers and they will point to games like PUBG and ARMA as having the best, most rewarding, shooting mechanics. Hell, Dr. Disrespect and Viss mention it quite a bit though they tend to not be big fans of PUBG in general.

TLDR: Having more realistic recoil is good for a game because it adds depth and a high skill ceiling.

The Sixth Sense
This one is easy, fuck directional hit markers in multiplayer shooters. Not all good ideas for single player games belong in multiplayer games. The only way a player should instantly know what direction they are being shot from is from seeing the muzzle flash, or hearing the gunshot. (Yeah, I know, asking a game to have good sound design is like asking Bobby Kotick to be a decent human being).

This one pisses me off so much in games where I make a great flank and hit someone only to have them instantly swing around and hit me a few times before I kill them. Now I am low on health and have a lower chance of killing their buddies. And not because I did something wrong, but because the game gives the outplayed player information they should not have. Devs should reward outplaying, and flanking, not make it frustrating. There is no real reason for this other than coddling bad players. It doesn't even remove negative fun because the flanked player still dies.

TLDR: Directional Hit markers are a terrible idea for multiplayer shooters.

Yo Bro, I got a grenade that shoots out more grenades!
If I had my way multiplayer shooters would not have grenades, or any splash damage weapons, but I will settle for them being limited. These crutch weapons are one of the biggest suppliers of negative fun in the entire genre because their use requires almost zero skill, and they reek of trollish bullshit . Shame on the call of duty dev that came up with the cluster grenade, shame of the idiot that put anti-personnel mines in ANY game, and shame on DICE for battlefield 1 grenade spam. These weapons are only there to frustrate, they provide no depth to gameplay and can only lower the skill gap (never lower the skill gap). It doesn't matter that explosives exist in the real world, they are the very definition of negative fun. This goes for crazy, no skill, killstreak rewards in COD as well.

The only games I can think of that did grenades right were the early halo games, PUBG, and other sims.

TLDR: Splash damage weapons are bad mmkay. They lower the skill gap and only serve to troll.

Laser Beams Everywhere!
Dear DICE (and other shooter devs),
Guns don't produce tracers like you think they do. No military would go to war with every single bullet fired being a tracer round. It is complete stupidity and your error either shows how little you know about the subject you are making a game about, or how stupid you think the average player is (or both). Having visible laser beam bullets in your game needs to stop. Why should firing my weapon give away my position on the battlefield by having a clearly traceable bullet to my location? You realize this is part of what makes snipers so prevalent and obnoxious right? Sorry, but Battlefield 5 should not have the same laser beams as Battlefront 2. The only weapons that "might" have tracers are mgs, and even then tracer rounds are not fired every bullet. Stop coddling us.
Thanks,
Croatoan

TLDR: Bullet tracers are dumb and serve no purpose other than giving away players positions on the map to snipers. Remove them except for the few instances they are actually used for.

It takes how long to die?!?!
Last of the sins that I am going to highlight today is one that is kind of new, and anyone who has played Battlfield Firestorm will likely know what I am talking about. When I die, or enter a downed state, as a player, I want to do so quickly. Long drawn out animations, especially when someone can still attack in a downed state, are super obnoxious and legit piss me off. It takes way to long to get "downed" in firestorm, and because of this its easier to game ruin someone before they can use any of their downed abilities. I mean, I already lost, why make me go through this stupid animation for what seems like a decade? That said, DICE is horrible about animations and has a lot of unneeded ones in BF5.

I think of all the BRs I have played Apex is the only one that really gets the downed state right. Their entire death mechanic should be copied into every br out there. I will say the battlefield 5's team revive mechanic is good for base multiplayer though. But I think we are getting off topic here.

TLDR: If I am going to die, do it quickly. Also pay animators to not show off sometimes.

So what about Super Bullets?
Super bullets (1 frame deaths) are actual programming or networking limitations or errors which have become a hot topic particularly with battlefield 5. Super bullets in general lead to a lot of negative fun because they add to the perception that the person that killed you was cheating. Which ups a persons bullshit meter and can lead to them dropping the game. Of course I want developers to fix these issues but this isn't really a game design failing, and I am mostly talking about design with this OP.

So what about TTK?
IMO TTK (Time To Kill) should be set where it makes sense for the game and setting. TTK is also a personal preference and having a high or low ttk does not make one game better than the other unless the ttk flies in the face of setting. An example of a bad ttk would be a ww2 game with the high ttk of apex legends, unless of coarse that WW2 game was cartoony or something. See the complexity of TTK?

I personally like low ttk games like pubg and battlefield 5. If I ever say Apex Legends is bad its likely because I just dislike the TTK and feel like being an asshole that day.

*Note: I am an asshole most days...

Anyways, I am done ranting. Lets discuss...

Last edited:
I was "chased out" of the genre by a lack of interest. You'd put words to a lot of my feelings on the matter.

You see, recoil mechanics are one of the best ways to have a high skill ceiling in a shooter. It takes time and practice to learn recoil in games that do it right which allows the good players to stand out. This gives gunplay depth and makes it less of a boring full auto grindfest.

Yeppp. I understand why recoil has been nerfed and toned down across the board (easier for the normies to play), but its removal simplified each game's arsenal. I love playing hard-hitting, high-recoil guns that require good aim and good timing to capitalize on. I am the opposite of a sprayer.

Imagine Mario Kart 9 only having stats on Speed and Acceleration so as not to confuse the children. This sounds like something Nintendo might do, yet they haven't. Why did so-called "hardcore" FPSs make this mistake?

oB8kVbJ.jpg

This one pisses me off so much in games where I make a great flank and hit someone only to have them instantly swing around and hit me a few times before I kill them.

I blame Halo for this, to be honest. Recharging shields + Health were a plague on multiplayer gaming. Halo balanced it fairly well, admittedly, but I grew up with FPSs where the ambusher pretty much always won the exchange unless they fumbled the kill in a totally amateurish way.

If I had my way multiplayer shooters would not have grenades, or any splash damage weapons, but I will settle for them being limited.

This was a problem back in CoD4 MW... so... over 10 years ago. After spawning, I would immediately lob 1 or 2 grenades into commonly-traversed areas and it usually paid off. That's also when I first heard the term "noob-tube", referring to alt-fire grenade launchers. Hilarious how the problem has only gotten worse.

Anyways, I am done ranting. Lets discuss...
It was a good rant.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Yeppp. I understand why recoil has been nerfed and toned down across the board (easier for the normies to play), but its removal simplified each game's arsenal. I love playing hard-hitting, high-recoil guns that require good aim and good timing to capitalize on. I am the opposite of a sprayer.
Yeah, I am similar. In BF4 I used the DMRs which back then were inferior to the Full Auto guns. Even in PUBG I gravitate to DMRs, though I do like sniping in PUBG. All of the guns in Battlefield 5 are just too easy to shoot. Getting 50+ kill games with just about anything, after taking a few months break, just tells me the game has zero skill needed. If I don't play pubg for a while I completely suck at it until it starts to come back.

Unfortunately, except for the shooting, pubg isn't that great.

This was a problem back in CoD4 MW... so... over 10 years ago. After spawning, I would immediately lob 1 or 2 grenades into commonly-traversed areas and it usually paid off. That's also when I first heard the term "noob-tube", referring to alt-fire grenade launchers. Hilarious how the problem has only gotten worse.

Yup this is exactly where it started. COD added even more bs ways to die in the years since. I actually played BO4 multiplayer a total of one time. During that one game my team and I were repeatedly killed by an attack chopper (which is just the final form of no skill noob toobing) that some guy had up the entire game. It was what I imagine video game hell is. What made it worse is that my wife was playing with me and we were hoping that our purchase was for more than just Blackout (since the zombies mode kind of sucked). LOL Nope! Never again COD, never again.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Do people play UT at a high level anymore? Why is stuff like Quake and UT not popular anymore amongst high level tournament players who enjoy the highest levels of challenge? I don't follow esports outside of fighting games, but it feels like I only ever hear about Halo, CS, Team Fortress, a few other ones that don't interest me. It seemed like for a moment in time Unreal Tournament was the first person shooter, then it went away, CoD took over, and now it's just a forgotten relic.

Mista

Banned
Do people play UT at a high level anymore? Why is stuff like Quake and UT not popular anymore amongst high level tournament players who enjoy the highest levels of challenge? I don't follow esports outside of fighting games, but it feels like I only ever hear about Halo, CS, Team Fortress, a few other ones that don't interest me. It seemed like for a moment in time Unreal Tournament was the first person shooter, then it went away, CoD took over, and now it's just a forgotten relic.
CoD is far from forgotten. The games championships still going strong like a mofo. Halo though unfortunately isn’t like it used to be in the pro scene. Hopefully Infinite will bring back the good Halo days

wipeout364

I disagree with several of your complaints but I am not saying they are not valid to you.
1. I thick direction indicators are totally appropriate, you should know what side you are hit on, thats would be reality with the exception of splash damage weapons.
2. Recoil is completely game dependent. I agree recoil should be an important component of historical and modern day shooters. I can forsee a time in the future where recoil could be countered by technology, and laser based weapons should not have recoil, as well the fun shooter (not reality based) genre like overwatch, team fortress, quake should simply be a design decision.
3. I personally like grenades in some games, for example I was very sad when they were removed from team fortress.
4. I like splash damage weapons, I love the rocket launcher in Quake, team fortress, the grenade launchers in Team fortress and overwatch etc.
5. I agree with the death animations irritating and stupid
6. I agree with the TTK - depends on the game
7. Snipers are difficult, I would think Sniper rifles should be next to useless with a moving close up target, I really dislike the quick scoping mechanic in COD. I think they should require the player moving into a fixed position (Crouched or prone) before firing or have no accuracy at all if firing while the shooter is moving moving or standing (maybe 1 in 10 chance of a hit).

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
1. I thick direction indicators are totally appropriate, you should know what side you are hit on, thats would be reality with the exception of splash damage weapons.
In reality you are usually dead or down before you even hear the gun shot or can react to the pain. Pain isn't always super accurate in its position on the body either. We will likely never agree on this.

2. Recoil is completely game dependent. I agree recoil should be an important component of historical and modern day shooters. I can forsee a time in the future where recoil could be countered by technology, and laser based weapons should not have recoil, as well the fun shooter (not reality based) genre like overwatch, team fortress, quake should simply be a design decision.
I left those futuristic shooters (and apex) out of my OP mostly on purpose. There are obviously going to be exceptions to my complaints depending on setting or lore. If there is a reason for there being low recoil then I can understand, but I still think full auto shooting without recoil is bad design. That said, you do mention some games with mechanics that don't need recoil. I will agree with you there.

3. I personally like grenades in some games, for example I was very sad when they were removed from team fortress.
I don't think they can ever be removed but they can be made to require more skill. They are too easy to use in a lot of games and players get too many of them.

4. I like splash damage weapons, I love the rocket launcher in Quake, team fortress, the grenade launchers in Team fortress and overwatch etc.
Those games have skill based rocket projectiles that are easier to dodge. The noob toobs in Battlefield, and COD are insanely easy to use and the projectile is hard to avoid. I will say that if a splash damage weapon is still difficult to use, ie it requires skill, then I have no problem with it.

7. Snipers are difficult, I would think Sniper rifles should be next to useless with a moving close up target, I really dislike the quick scoping mechanic in COD. I think they should require the player moving into a fixed position (Crouched or prone) before firing or have no accuracy at all if firing while the shooter is moving moving or standing (maybe 1 in 10 chance of a hit).
I believe the quick scoping and jiggle strafing that goes on in games is annoying as well. I wanted to keep my op shorter so I left some of my own grievances out. IMO, snipers who are aiming through a scope should move REALLY slow, and maybe even move slow if they have a sniper out at all. This would get rid of a lot of the left to right strafe fighting.

Quick scoping is really easy to get rid of. Just make the ads time, and accuracy benefits to ads, slow with scoped weapons.

Last edited:

It is kind of odd that happened with UT, although Epic Games now does Fortnite, so ... well, it's all kind of built on that legacy, I guess.

Nymphae

Banned
It is kind of odd that happened with UT, although Epic Games now does Fortnite, so ... well, it's all kind of built on that legacy, I guess.

They had a smaller team working on a FTP UT I thought, I sort of forgot about that, not sure if it ever even happened.

If you go to the website, you can download it for free, called "pre-alpha season", so maybe more down the line? I don't play on my PC much anymore but lately I've been getting that UT itch.

Shifty

They had a smaller team working on a FTP UT I thought, I sort of forgot about that, not sure if it ever even happened.

If you go to the website, you can download it for free, called "pre-alpha season", so maybe more down the line? I don't play on my PC much anymore but lately I've been getting that UT itch.
It's dead. Super duper dead. Epic dropped it like a hot potato after Fortnite took off.

The community might eventually make something of it since it's fully open-source, but don't expect the UT you want or deserve.

Nymphae

Banned
It's dead. Super duper dead. Epic dropped it like a hot potato after Fortnite took off.

The community might eventually make something of it since it's fully open-source, but don't expect the UT you want or deserve.

That's a damn shame.

johntown

Banned
I "prefer" highly tactical shooters with no auto-aim. The Killzone series does this very well and hence one of the few online shooters I actually play and enjoy. Hoping they do a new one for the PS5. Now it is a sci fi shooter with futuristic weapons which some people don't like but I do as long as the game is tactical and not just run and gun or a one man army......you have to work as a team to win.

Don't get wrong here, I enjoy shooters with auto-aim and things there are just unrealistic but if I am playing competitively I want a tactical shooter.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Quake Champions was fucking excellent. Truly a game designed around keyboard/mouse (altho I'm still adamant that controller-only lobbies could work for a console release). The characters' unique attributes added spice. Movement and weapon mastery was rewarding. You were not the same player 60 hours in that you were 10 hours in.

Unfortunately you guys didn't buy Quake Champions or even download it when it went F2P. Only a handful thousand of people still play it, and thats taking all regions into account. RIP.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Rat maze layouts where you can get nailed from any direction, and laser accurate guns (reduced recoil) to help scrubs makes MP shooters painful to play.

I think this really started with Call of Duty MW3. That game really changed the way maps were laid out. And every SMG suddenly turned into pretty accurate guns at long range.

Medal of Honor was pretty similar and came out a year earlier.... though I don't think many people played it. First time playing a military shooter where an AK-47 shot with virtual laser accuracy.

Calibos

OP said everything I hate in modern shooters. Shooting mechanics and recoil are the reasons I am still playing PubG today as much as ever. I miss old CoD and Battlefield’s recoil more than a little bit.

I also miss the older BF revive mechanics...just because you can add all sorts of animations and mechanics to something doesn’t mean you should. BF V’s revive system is fucked. Terrible shame as I always played medic in the past...can’t stand it now.

Tesseract

Banned
titanfall mp was pretty dope bro, i dunno

quake champions is excellent, natural selection 2

overwatch is a piece of shit

Top Bottom