• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at the UK Nintendo/Starlight Fun Centre (vastly superior to the US version)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Note: This stems from 2011, but I've found no threads about it.

Back in June of this year, I wrote about Nintendo potentially missing a great opportunity by not making a Wii U Fun Center. As for that, I've got nothing new to share (I doubt anyway Nintendo of America has any plans to upgrade those units with Wii U), but I was browsing around at the Starlight network and came across the UK site and the UK Fun Center and thought, as it is vastly superior to its US counterpart, it could be of interest to share. Starlight Children's Foundation partners with experts to improve the life and health of kids and families around the world.

Video about the unit and how it was created: http://www.starlight.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Starlight_Fun_Centre.mp4

starlightuk56u73.png

US counterpart

starlightusynstg.png

Now, Wii for the Starlight Fun Centres wasn't introduced in UK until March 2011 (before that, they used the Gamecube version), while it has been in the US available since June 25, 2008. So the leap in technology offered is understandable, but still. As far as I know, the units in US are still rocking SDTV and DVD players. Anyway, each UK Starlight Fun Centre comes loaded with an HD TV, Blu-ray player, a Nintendo Wii with four Wii Remotes, Wii Nunchuk and Wii Wheels, a Balance Board, four Nintendo DSi consoles and a library of films and games. It likely includes a hard drive as well, just like the US unit.

Exactly what games for Wii and Nintendo DS are available I don't know, but in the US the library has included these titles:

• Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
  • Boom Blox
  • Comic Mischief
  • Carnival Games
  • Cars Mater-National
  • Disney Princess Enchanted Journey
  • Elebits
  • Excite Truck
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
  • Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  • Kung Fu Panda: Legendary Warriors
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
  • Madden NFL '08
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Mario Party 8
  • 'New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
  • Mario Strikers Charged
  • Mario Super Sluggers
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • MySims Party
  • NBA Live 08
  • Nicktoons: Attack of the Toybots
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • New Play Control! Pikmin
  • Ratatouille
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids
  • Shrek the Third
  • Surf's Up
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Wii Play
  • Wii Sports
  • Wii Music
  • Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
A bit strange Nintendo 3DS wasn't included in these units considering it launched in Europe in March 2011. Perhaps it was due to the issues with eye strain among young children using the 3D effect. In 2011, Starlight delivered 1,150 Starlight Fun Centres, one for every children’s hospital ward and hospice in the UK. Every unit was donated by Nintendo who also provides in-field support for the lifetime of the new Starlight Fun Centres. In May 2014, Starlight released 120 new Starlight Fun Centres, they are not planning to produce an additional batch in the immediate future.

What Nintendo of America's future plans for the Starlight Fun Centres are I don't know, but as said I doubt we will see one incorporating Wii U. Perhaps we will see an updated version once QOL and the next gen handheld launch. Anyway, just a small look at the UK Fun Centre.

Source: http://www.starlight.org.uk/what-we-do/starlight-fun-centres/

Top Bottom