• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

a love letter to 'Soul Bubbles' - one of the best games on the nintendo ds

Haunted

Mejilan said:
Alright. Even though I didn't NEED to finish World 1 before moving on to World 2, I 100%'ed World 1 ANYWAY. And now I'm well on my way towards 100%'ing World 2.

Why? Because the game is AWESOME. On paper, it's a very simple-seeming game. In execution, it is a very pure and refined one. It's literally one of the most generous, unique, and astonishing games on the DS. I won't waste time regurgitating what was explained (more patiently and eloquently) in posts above.

But I do want to stress this game's uncompromising quality and ingenuity. To take a page from the game's very theme, it's a breath of fresh air.

I love how, utilizing the various masks that are immediately at your disposal (after the small, 3 mini-level initiation), I'm able to split the spirits into separate, smaller soul bubbles, and send them off into different parts of the stage, illuminating new areas and squeezing through the tiniest cracks in order to find the calabashes and star dust that together, contribute to unlocking new worlds and securing S rankings for the stages, respectively.

I love how I can create empty soul bubbles in completely inaccessible, though already illuminated, areas in order to grab those extra bits of star dust that those poor spirits will never, ever be able to reach.

I love how almost every stage has a new trick, feature, gimmick, or dynamic that, layer by layer, refreshes and expands and redefines every one of the simple core rules that drive the experience.

I love how every bouncing, bounding, rebounding bubble; every swaying leaf, branch, flower, or vine; every tumbling pebble, rock, or boulder; every calm breeze or howling gust of wind; every aspect of this game comes together with exquisitely rendered and believable physics.

Finally, I love how defeated enemies turn into blossoming plants on whatever surface their careening bodies slam into... only to be blown away by an errant and innocuous puff of air. Such a useless, but cute example of meticulous attention to detail.

The music is tranquil and soothing. The graphics are lush and beautiful. The animations, compelling and believable. Combined, so gripping and immersive. The gameplay, polished to delightfully simple perfection. Soul Bubbles is an example of a stunningly acute game design matched with just the right dash of the "out-of-the-box" thinking that the Nintendo DS was created to inspire.

I cringe when I consider that the awful box art and TRU exclusivity helped to condemn this work of unabashedly joyful art to an early and tragic death. The more of this glorious game I experience, the more I find myself increasingly frustrated and incredulous at just how much it's been overlooked. Especially here at GAF, which has always prided itself on seeking out and rejoicing over those rare, system-defining gems. No hyperbole here; once the fallout from this handheld generation settles, I fully expect Soul Bubbles to stand tall with the very best the DS and PSP had to offer to us. If only we cared enough and trusted enough to give it a chance.
The mejilan seal of approval. :eek:

The best game no one played this year? Seems so. :(

Retailer exclusivity makes it a hassle to import. Same happened to me with Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol (I know it appeared briefly on Amazon but it's not like they ship worldwide).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
World 2 down. I've now 100%'ed the first two levels of world 3. LOVING the water/fire/bomb mechanics. Great, great stuff. :D

Mejilan

World 3 all done. Halfway through World 4, what with it's jungle-flavored awesome in the form of oozing, sticky walls, massive quantities of slash-able foliage (much of it hiding goodies), spikes, collapsing walls, and fun environmental puzzles!

Mejilan

I'm on to World 5 now. Psychoseeds are awesome! Now the game has a bit of a shooter side to it! :D

jarosh

Mejilan said:
Alright. Even though I didn't NEED to finish World 1 before moving on to World 2, I 100%'ed World 1 ANYWAY. And now I'm well on my way towards 100%'ing World 2.

Why? Because the game is AWESOME. On paper, it's a very simple-seeming game. In execution, it is a very pure and refined one. It's literally one of the most generous, unique, and astonishing games on the DS. I won't waste time regurgitating what was explained (more patiently and eloquently) in posts above.

But I do want to stress this game's uncompromising quality and ingenuity. To take a page from the game's very theme, it's a breath of fresh air.

I love how, utilizing the various masks that are immediately at your disposal (after the small, 3 mini-level initiation), I'm able to split the spirits into separate, smaller soul bubbles, and send them off into different parts of the stage, illuminating new areas and squeezing through the tiniest cracks in order to find the calabashes and star dust that together, contribute to unlocking new worlds and securing S rankings for the stages, respectively.

I love how I can create empty soul bubbles in completely inaccessible, though already illuminated, areas in order to grab those extra bits of star dust that those poor spirits will never, ever be able to reach.

I love how almost every stage has a new trick, feature, gimmick, or dynamic that, layer by layer, refreshes and expands and redefines every one of the simple core rules that drive the experience.

I love how every bouncing, bounding, rebounding bubble; every swaying leaf, branch, flower, or vine; every tumbling pebble, rock, or boulder; every calm breeze or howling gust of wind; every aspect of this game comes together with exquisitely rendered and believable physics.

Finally, I love how defeated enemies turn into blossoming plants on whatever surface their careening bodies slam into... only to be blown away by an errant and innocuous puff of air. Such a useless, but cute example of meticulous attention to detail.

The music is tranquil and soothing. The graphics are lush and beautiful. The animations, compelling and believable. Combined, so gripping and immersive. The gameplay, polished to delightfully simple perfection. Soul Bubbles is an example of a stunningly acute game design matched with just the right dash of the "out-of-the-box" thinking that the Nintendo DS was created to inspire.

I cringe when I consider that the awful box art and TRU exclusivity helped to condemn this work of unabashedly joyful art to an early and tragic death. The more of this glorious game I experience, the more I find myself increasingly frustrated and incredulous at just how much it's been overlooked. Especially here at GAF, which has always prided itself on seeking out and rejoicing over those rare, system-defining gems. No hyperbole here; once the fallout from this handheld generation settles, I fully expect Soul Bubbles to stand tall with the very best the DS and PSP had to offer to us. If only we cared enough and trusted enough to give it a chance.

yes. YES. YES! YES!

i'm glad someone else feels the same way about soul bubbles. i think you also did a much better job describing some of the things that make the game so irresistible and charming!

thanks for the in-depth impressions. we really need to get the word out. more people need to play this game!

Mejilan

Woohoo! I'm not alone any more!

I'm wrapping up World 5 now (I refuse to start a new world until I 100% every stage in the world that came before), and loving the swarms of enemies and simple shooter combat added that identifies this particular world. I can't wait to see what the remaining 2 worlds have to offer! Every single world has been uniquely and brilliantly conceived!

I did hear that the last 2 worlds were a bit rushed though, and feature a couple of bugs. (Apparently they didn't have time to fully test the last 2 worlds, at least not as fully as the first 5...)

Mejilan

It just keeps on delivering.

World 6 features two kinds of gasses. When they're enveloped by a soul bubble, one gas makes the bubbles super light, the other makes it heavy. There are even special zappers that can convert one kind of gas into the other... which of course paves the way for some really awesome environmental puzzles.

To add some sweet juice (or awesome sauce?) to the deal, if you merge two bubbles with each gas, you'll get a third gas that is super EXPLOSIVE. Handle with care to navigate towards vulnerable barriers and BOOOOOOM!

Fucking grand!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
As an aside:

I've read that the guy who made Twinsen's Odyssey and Little Big Adventure had his hand in the design of this game.

Mejilan

I forgot his name, but I do believe he did contribute to this game. I couldn't tell you in what capacity, however.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
For some sad reason I completely forgot about this game after I first heard about it a long time ago. Thanks for this thread and impressions guys, I'll look into getting it soon.

mandiller

I can testify this game is frigging awesome. A good way to think of it is the Loco Roco of the Nintendo DS.

Crappy boxart, no publicity yadda yadda yadda. Don't let it put you off this gem. It's up there with the best DS games. Amazing art style, good graphics and gameplay that is intriguing and creative. If you see this game buy it!

"Where'd you guys find this? It's not on/in Gamstop or Half, and Amazon only has expensive seller-Used copies. And I want this, darn it...!"

Toysrus exlcusive just like it says in the OP...

Mejilan

Yeah, TRU only for now. And it's not really anything like LocoRoco, which sucked ass. :)

Mejilan

Worlds 1-6 mastered. World 7... hahaha, holy shit. The environment is so cold that your bubble pretty much insta-chills and becomes like a really fast, much less floaty hamster globe! 2D Sonic the Hedgehog level design? Perhaps... Ramps and bumpers and loop-de-loops, oh my!

womp

About time you fools all picked this game up and showed it some love...I've been playing it since June. :p

It is one of my top 5 DS titles of the year. Awesome all around and very zen like.

I highly recommend you put on some earphones as well since the music is fantastic stuff as well.

this game is freaking fantastic. we'll be giving away an autographed copy on 4colorrebellion.com starting next week.

/shameless

but seriously, i can not put this game down. so freaking fun. It has taken the spot from Zoo Keeper as my "always in my DS for quick bursts" game.

Vexidus

Has anyone in Canada seen this game at a TRU? I really really really wanna get this game but don't wanna import unless I have to!

Mejilan

World 7 is sick, sick. I was a bit worried at some comments from a developer stating his misgivings about the last minute rush they experienced in wrapping the game up. But so far, the endgame is as consistently awesome as the rest of it was!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Allan Holdsworth said:
Retailer exclusivity makes it a hassle to import. Same happened to me with Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol (I know it appeared briefly on Amazon but it's not like they ship worldwide).

Naaah, CD-Universe is your savior :)

Vexidus

Wow, I finally settled on buying it from the Toys R Us website but then I discovered they don't ship outside the US? Ugh, I'm so disheartened right now.. I guess I'll have to wait until the end of November.

I put an impressions piece and a contest up on 4colorrebellion.com to win an autographed copy of this game. holy shit is it good. Making my way through world 6. Fantastic, fantastic game. Getting 100% on every level before moving on to the next.

Sagitario

Dash Kappei said:

Nintendo DS (Dual-Screen) Soul Bubbles
Eidos
Regular Price: $29.99
Pre Order: $28.95 Nintendo DSPre-Order Now
For Sale Scheduled to release Wednesday, December 03, 2008

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I gave this game a pretty big thumbs up when it first came out in another thread and it's great to see it being slowly discovered by others. It really is a hidden gem on the DS and I really look forward to seeing what the developers can do in other games.

Mejilan

Mostly done with World 8 (didn't know there was going to BE a World 8.) 2 more stages to 100% and that's done!

GasMan

Just finished the first level of World 5. Psychoseeds are an interesting addition to the game. I particularly enjoyed moving the large statue with them. Ingenius of a game mechanic. Also the cranks and rope puzzle on the previous world. Absolutely astounding.

I don't think anything can be added to what's already been said about Soul Bubbles without repeating the same superlatives. Just buy the thing. Should be a helluva lot more posts in here right enough.

Dash Kappei said:

It says December, as most online retailers. Which begs the question... is the Toysrus exclusivity broken in that month? Or is it a bogus date?

Oh and CD Universe doesn't ship to my country for some weird reason. I would use play-asia over it anyway (cheaper shipping).

So... what's the cheapest I can get this for in Europe (netherlands)?

40 euros is a tad steep imho.

videogamesplus.ca isn't carrying it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Mejilan said:
I forgot his name, but I do believe he did contribute to this game. I couldn't tell you in what capacity, however.
Raynal did some consulting on the game. Basically all the devs were from a PC world (and multiplayer too) and Raynal made sure they would not fall into the not so obvious traps of a single player console game.

GasMan

About to start World 7 now. The explosive bubbles are tricky for me. Kept being too forceful with them which highlights how well the wind system works to just scrub some speed off the bubble before it touches a wall or obstacle.

S-Ranked and 100% on every level so far. Favourite so far was world 3 with the goo. Loved the colour and atmosphere in that set of levels.

Mejilan

8-4 is proving to be trickier for me than it should be... :(
I can beat it easily, but I keep running out of luck when trying to S-rank it.

Sagitario

Totalriot said:
My copy has just arrived. I hope this is not another one of these overhyped GAF games...

Overhyped GAF game?

This is a relatively small thread [2 pages only] with only a few people keeping it alive and giving impressions... overhyped this is not...

Totalriot said:
My copy has just arrived. I hope this is not another one of these overhyped GAF games...

Nah, this game has absolutely awesome graphics and physics. It's as good as any AAA DS game.

Mejilan

Overhyped? Please. Despite the great reviews it's getting, the game's been almost completely ignored by GAF. And probably the rest of the world.

GasMan

Hardly any hype at all here or elsewhere. Which is a crying shame.

Stuck on the first level of World 8. Can't figure out how to get the last thing-ma-bob to get the S rank. A flame, blue gas, a crank and a yellow wall. Can't for the life of me figure out how to get the explosion to the wall. Hrm.

GasMan

Nevermind, I figured it out. Can't believe it took me so long to put two and two together on that one though.

Fallout-NL said:
So... what's the cheapest I can get this for in Europe (netherlands)?

40 euros is a tad steep imho.

videogamesplus.ca isn't carrying it.

Nooit gehoord van budgetgaming.nl? :/
(zo ontzettend handig)

Blijkbaar zit nedgame nu op 30, met gcshop nog steeds op 32. (de prijs sinds launch)

Mejilan

GasMan said:
Nevermind, I figured it out. Can't believe it took me so long to put two and two together on that one though.

Very easy to overlook the use of ginormous bubbles. Especially since they weren't particularly necessary before World 8. Protip: That won't be the last time you use giant bubbles to secure calabashes!

GasMan

Onto World 8-5 currently. S-ranked all previous levels now. Still enjoying it aswell. I think the length may have been just about right. Coupled with a progressive learning curve and some very cool mechanics this may just be one of my best games this year in terms of the complete package.

Mejilan

Definitely one of the best and most complete DS games I've ever played.

Though... a stage editor would have been AWESOME. The more stages you complete (and mechanics discover), the more editor features you unlock...

Mejilan

GasMan said:
Onto World 8-5 currently. S-ranked all previous levels now. Still enjoying it aswell. I think the length may have been just about right. Coupled with a progressive learning curve and some very cool mechanics this may just be one of my best games this year in terms of the complete package.

Finally s-ranked 8-4. Caught up to you know. 8-5 is pretty fucking devious, no?

I got this today. I love the pacing- very measured, very well done. And the graphics look ridiculously better than in screens, I'm in love with the game's color palette. And I like how subtle the music is... I'm only on the fourth world so far, but am pretty thoroughly addicted.

Is there any reward for S-ranking all the stages?

Mejilan

Just satisfaction, to my knowledge. AWESOME fucking game.

Just finished s-ranking the last stage, and fuck me was it evil at times. BUT AWESOME.

Edit - Wow. The art style in those incomplete bonus levels that open up in the gallery are awesome! The second level, especially, rocks. They had fun just throwing whatever crazy shit into it that they felt like! :)

Top Bottom