• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A minute with demi [FFXII demo]

demi

Am I the only one who instantly thought .hack while playing this? Like, really really.

I dunno about producers and directors and such...nobody from .hack team did anything in FFXII did they?

.hack//FINALFANTASY

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
A Link to the Past said:
Also, demi, that's Nick in your avatar, right?
That's demi himself.

Will be able to play through this demo in a week, looking forward to it just as much as DQVIII.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Or does it play like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

The questioning maze is endless llTll... let's hope we get you out of there sunshine.

demi

I played KOTOR on PC before... FFXII does not remind me of it at all.

It definitely reminds me of .hack

trmas

Banned
The wait system (not on the fly) in FFXII reminds me a LOT of KoTOR. The other reminds me of an online MMORPG like FFXI. Prefer the wait system in the beach demo myself.

Diablos

"A minute with demi" :lol

I liked the demo... I never played FFXI so it doesn't remind me of it obviously. I have played WoW and it's not similar at all.

It still feels very FF IMO, just faster-paced and no screen transitions for battles, thank god.

Gattsu25

Banned
or Advent Rising, even though that's more of an awesome action adventure game where you acquire amazing power...rather than a number crunching timesink

but yeah, FFXII is very similar to FFXI. FFXI is the type of game (MMO) that .Hack was aiming to imitate, though .Hack did a poor job

Gattsu25

Banned
Well, you see...that's your problem.

.Hack was designed to make single player kiddies feel like they were playing a MMO while FFXI is actually a MMO. From a gameplay standpoint...FFXII is pretty damn close to FFXI.

So you notice the ties between .Hack (aping MMOs) and FFXII (very close to an actual MMO from the same dev). Both games have simularities to MMOs, you pick up on that, but since you never played FFXI, you don't pick up on how similar to FFXII it is.

FFXII is much closer to FFXI than it will ever be to .Hack the same way Painkiller is much closer to Serious Sam than it will ever be to Powerslave.

Understand now? Cause I sure as hell don't

krzy123

My brother and I both thought it was like .//hack when we both first saw it.. :/

Edit: never played FFXI or any other mmos

Udde

I played Final Fantasy XI, so I ...

mikecoffee2.jpg

ok ok.

PS: Yeah, XII is somewhat similar :D

Scott

Gameplay systems are nothing like those found in .hack, so I have no idea what you're going on about.

"Ask Lindsay." got a good laugh from me, though... I hope that was sarcasm, as that girl doesn't know anything about game mechanics. :p

demi

DarknessTear said:
Where does this fit in with the fact that you're retarded? Oh wait, it does fit in. I guess you're on topic then!

I'm not the one who's played FFXI here, so save the remarks!

White Man

demi said:
I'm not the one who's played FFXI here, so save the remarks!

I played the FF11 beta for the 360, and it was one of the most dreadfully boring games I've ever played. I knew going in that WoW was the better game, but I didn't think it would be so by such a vast margin of quality.

Plus it took nearly 3 hours to install.

And if FF12's combat is similar to FF11's, it's not using "FF11's combat system" it's using the "Generic MMO" combat system. FF11's combat is not distinctive at all.

sky

demi said:
SO IT PLAYS LIKE .HACK
Ok... so is that good or bad?

Does this mean fans of the FF12 demo (and by extension FFXI, most likely) would enjoy .hack's battle system?

demi

I didn't say it was good or bad, I just said it played like it

Everyone says it doesn't, but I doubt the majority of GAF played .hack anyway

I finished all four .hack games, though.

White Man

demi said:
I didn't say it was good or bad, I just said it played like it

Everyone says it doesn't, but I doubt the majority of GAF played .hack anyway

I finished all four .hack games, though.

I made it through the first two before I got sick of it.

It was fun, but it was pretty evident that the gameplay wasn't going to evolve much, and the localization was somewhat shaky.

Scott

This is just getting stupid.

Final Fantasy XII does not play like .hack. The .hack series features real-time, hack & slash, button-mashy combat, and is a dungeon crawler. While it attempts to mimic an MMO, it does so in atmosphere only, and not in gameplay, so there won't be any comparisons there either. What similarities you're left with are pretty common elements, like the large field maps filled with respawning enemies, and a party of three characters -- that's about the extent of it.

Final Fantasy XII plays more like Final Fantasy XI than anything. While combat is similar to that in FFXI, it builds upon it by allowing you to see your ATB bar, cancel commands mid-charge, queue-up secondary commands, switch between your party members with the D-Pad at any moment, etc... In essence, it's the typical ATB battle system in reverse, with some real-time elements (such as movement) and a Chrono Trigger-style command menu set-up added on-top.

There are also a lot of elements running outside of combat that mimic FFXI/MMOs, such as aggro schemes (on sight, magic usage, etc), linking schemes, EvE schemes (ie: Mandragoras will attack Sleipnirs), etc... Absolutely none of these have been present in a single-player RPG before, and that's what sets it apart. There are also other elements that aren't really active, or available for tweaking, in the demo, like the Zodiac Sign system (from FFT), the Gambit system, and so on, so it'll remain to be seen how well they'll turn out or be utilized.

Given the over-leveled nature of your characters in the demo, though, it doesn't force you to use any of the systems in place... which is a shame, as you get a bunch of retards not even noticing that these things are present. Even people that have played through the demo half a dozen times have looked at me funny when I mention that Bombs will aggro magic usage -- "No they don't, they aggro on sight." they say, which is exactly what prompted me to post my mini-FAQ in the demo impressions thread, as I noticed there were 3-4 pages of such comments. And nevermind Tycho's non-grasping of the demo mechanics over at Penny-Arcade, where he spends his entire rant bitching about the game taking control out of his hands, when in reality, it's giving you more than the typical ATB set-up ever allowed for.

When it comes right down to it, I'm beginning to think that nobody knows how this game plays...

demi

If you're going to make such outlandish accusations and not contribute, maybe you shouldn't post in this thread at all.

Top Bottom