• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A new type of energy drink is being marketed as a secret sauce for gamers"

First of all, how far did your eyes just roll out of your heads reading that tweet?

g_zpswqtcraf8.jpg

From the New York Times:

New York Times said:
G Fuel and a competitor called GungHo are a new incarnation of energy drink, growing in popularity while the energy drink industry as a whole has been under scrutiny because of deaths and hospitalizations linked to consumption of caffeine- and sugar-laden beverages. Traditional energy drink makers have also been playing to the growing gamer culture in some labels — Mountain Dew Game Fuel (with extra doses of caffeine) and Nintendo Powerup Energy Drink. The Facebook page for Monster Energy Gaming declares: “Next time you are looking for some gaming fuel, grab a Monster Energy and Unleash the Beast on some noobs!”

The newer gamer drinks are sugar-free and vitamin-infused, but they often contain caffeine that rivals or exceeds that of some other well-known products, according to Caffeine Informer, a website that provides scientific and consumer information on caffeine levels in food and drink.

One maker promises a drink to enhance “brain energy,” while another calls it his “natural Adderall.”

In Melbourne, Australia, Finlay Sturzaker spent 100 Australian dollars to order several tubs of a powdered G Fuel drink, only to have his father confiscate it, he said. Finlay, 14, said he found out about the drink on YouTube through the FaZe Call of Duty clan in the commercials. They’re his favorite YouTubers, he said.

“It makes me more focused while playing Call of Duty and I definitely see improvement, and it gives me very natural energy,” he said.

Ethan Yorke, a high school junior in Lancaster, Calif., said drinking G Fuel helped him improve his home run average significantly on an MLB baseball video game he plays (though he lamented that the drink is too expensive for him to consume regularly).

“It really feels like you have genuine energy, like you’ve just had a 30-minute-to-an-hour nap,” he said. “And you just have pure energy.”

Marketing at work. Successfully, I might add. Personally, seems kind of dangerous, especially considering:

New York Times said:
But caffeine and other stimulants remain central ingredients. G Fuel’s caffeine content, 150 milligrams per 12 fluid ounces, is higher than many of the Monster and Red Bull drinks, according to Caffeine Informer. GungHo does not disclose its caffeine content, according to Danny Mason, the company’s chief executive.

Now grab a G Fuel and pound some n00bs (that's gamer talk for bad at video games people)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Marketing an energy drink for gamers. What an original idea.

Next they'll try to sell Gatorade to athletes.

Neiteio

Marketing an energy drink for gamers. What an original idea.

Next they'll try to sell Gatorade to athletes.
I'd never go into pro sports because having Gatorade dumped on me seems unpleasantly sticky, even if I had millions upon millions of dollars in endorsements to wipe it all away.

SerTapTap

This sounds like something I'd make up and post on @TheXbone

Also I usually hate trademark enforcement stuff but uh, G Fuel, Gamer Fuel, come on

I've tried and and still have some. It works pretty well I usually only drink it if I have had no other caffeine during the day or else I get a little woozy but I am pretty sensitive to caffeine. I wouldn't say it made me any better just helped me play for a bit longer.

Neiteio

I'm going to start lactating through sheer force of will, and the milk from my teat will be collected in cans branded "Hype Milk: The Official Drink of NeoGAF."

Game Guru

I think the biggest news here is that there is something called 'Caffeine Informer.' Is this a derivative of Game Informer? Does GameStop own this? Is there also a Dorito Informer?

You aren't playing to your MAXIMUM potential.

You can't git gud until you experience gaming with GAMING FLUID!

A perfect pH balanced formula H20 designed to deliver MAXIMUM THIRST QUENCH! You can't tell someone that you're going to have sexual intercourse with their mother when you have a dry mouth, can you?

GAMING FLUID is bottled.... AT THE EDGE!

BadRamen

Not necessarily marketed toward gamers, but VISO has about 300mg of caffeine per 20oz bottle. Also, VISO isn't chock full of garbage like Monster and is made locally here (Portland, OR).

Afrodium

Banned
How did energy drinks come to be associated with "gamer lifestyle" in the first place? It's a hobby that requires very little energy.

Top Bottom