• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A new type of energy drink is being marketed as a secret sauce for gamers"

Tregard

Soothsayer
I always thought that was Bawls' thing

2818_case_o_bawls.jpg

Neiteio

It doesn't truly capture the spirit of online gaming unless it's named "I f00ked ur mum" or "(laughter that sounds like Randy Jackson)"

The energy drinks are simply a response to conditions that already exist within certain "hardcore" gaming communities - there's high value placed on many hours sunk into a game, twitch-reflexes, going the extra mile to get better gear to compete, an atmosphere of very hgih competition across the board, etc.

Nah, I'm not crying "kids play too many games these days" but it's worth keeping in mind. Some of the behavior isn't exactly healthy, and the body will start fighting back eventually. Makes sense that these sort of gamers would gravitate towards healthy (read: anything potent that isn't considered an illegal drug in their area) substances to give them a quick, cheap, effective edge.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
How will this help someone like me, who mostly plays RPGs? Will I notice new buffs on my companions in Dragon Age, for example?

These sound like marketing ideas from the lady who teaches CCD in the church basement to try and connect with the hip youth and their clashing clans.

Choomp

Banned
I don't know why the picture of that hipster-ass kid in that plain room with the Battlefield and Destiny posters made me laugh as hard as it did

As I read this I cringed and rolled my eyes so hard they fell out their sockets and I am currently still looking for one of them.

Terrell

Jesus with all of this gamer-themed food and beverages that are glorified Red Bull.
You want to stay up all night and drastically improve your ability to maintain focus? Gamer drinks and food won't do it. There's already a product for that, it's called cocaine.

(
THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT
)

TrounceX

lol this is much less to do with staying awake as it is increasing reaction time to gain a competitive edge.

But this is lightweight shit in the highly competitive gaming community where people use taurine energy shots to wash down their extended release adderall pills. One time at an MLG event a guy was selling Vyvanse in a bathroom stall and there was a line out the door. I wish I were kidding!

SwarfegaHead

Neo Member
whatever happened to pairing gaming with gratuitous amounts of underage drinking? thats how i was introduced to Halo, and Im damned sure thats how I always played it.

Really though, this whole energy drink, "gamer fuel" stuff fills me with embarrassment for whatever marketing monkey came up with the idea. Pwn n00bs wit Mtn Dew and Doritos, only on XBone, etc.

weevles

The games I play tend to keep me awake. Don't need all that digestive tract shredding, blood pressure-raising, ball shrinking liquid junk in my body. Plus getting up to pee every 15 minutes is a poor trade off for "beasting on n00bs".

Tonkse

Clearing this up a little, G Fuel is a healthier(compared to redbull/monster) energy drink mostly marketed for serious gamers that plan on playing tournaments and such. Iv had some for free and bought my own before and its actually really nice and a good alternative to coffee or energy drinks but that's all it is. Also it is not marketed as adderall that is a lie.

chemicals

This is lame. Gamers are supposed to be chill.. Cool people. Not dursts that drink energy drinks. If I pay 5 bucks for a drink it better have alcohol in it. Lol

Top Bottom