• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Perfect Circle's first new song in nine years: "By and Down"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew.

Banned
Yi2DCSX.jpg

Alt-rock supergroup A Perfect Circle are releasing a 13-track (or 19 tracks deluxe) greatest hits comp, Three Sixty, on November 19. The final track, a studio version of "By and Down," is their first new song to appear in nearly a decade. The five-minute Zep-style journey was written during the band's live re-emergences around 2010 and 2011, and is naturally moody, featuring what sounds like a gaggle of orchestra chimes and a melody that sounds like Dirty Projectors gone metal raga.

In addition, the band promptly sold out of all 2,500 copies of their A Perfect Circle Live: Featuring Stone and Echo box set and being the swell guys they are, they've decided to release the entire 4CD/1DVD package digitally on November 26. The box collects live performances of all three of their studio albums — 2000's Mer de Noms, 2003's Thirteenth Step, and 2004's eMOTIVe — a DVD of a 2011 performance at Red Rocks, and an "audio companion" that features noir covers of Black Flag and Marvin Gaye.

Listen to it here:

http://www.spin.com/articles/a-perfect-circle-by-and-down-stream-three-sixty-greatest-hits/

Love it. Love this band. New Maynard is always good. I miss Paz though. So hot.

Also, that picture of Billy Howerdel reminds me of Aaron Paul.

TheMan

Wow, very excited to hear about this. I'll give it a listen when I get home. Hopefully they'll give us at least one more full album in the future.

komplanen

Only ever heard one song by A Perfect Circle but I absolutely love Tool. I should fix that but for now I am just going to say I want that new Tool album as fast as I can and leave all the dumb APC talk to you.

Andrew.

Banned
Only ever heard one song by A Perfect Circle but I absolutely love Tool. I should fix that but for now I am just going to say I want that new Tool album as fast as I can and leave all the dumb APC talk to you.

Nice ignorance dude. Tool has been my favorite band of all time ever since discovering them when I was 13 back in 1995. I would never deny the greatness of A Perfect Circle however, especially after they picked up James Iha, Twiggy and Josh Freese.

komplanen

Nice ignorance dude. Tool has been my favorite band of all time ever since discovering them when I was 13 back in 1995. I would never deny the greatness of A Perfect Circle however, especially after they picked up James Iha, Twiggy and Josh Freese.

I am extremely picky of what I listen to since I'm not a fan of listening to music like other people are. One day I will sit down and listen to APC proper, don't worry.

It is a very interesting song but it sounds like an unpolished demo and poorly mixed. Why does it sounds like I am in the listening to the dummer's monitor version?

Andrew.

Banned
I wanna hear that Gaye cover.

It's on their Emotive album. It's their weakest of the three albums they've released in my opinion, but there's a couple interesting other covers on it.

And Belvedere, the second album is the tits.

Revolver

I'll have to check this out later. Loved their first two albums but hated eMOTIVe (aside from Passive) with a passion. I wish Paz and Troy would rejoin.

Hale-XF11

It is a very interesting song but it sounds like an unpolished demo and poorly mixed. Why does it sounds like I am in the listening to the dummer's monitor version?

Heh, that was my first thought as well. The drums are incredibly poorly mixed and compressed. I've heard better drum machines. Seems like a quickie mix.

Anyways, forgettable tune.

Would be nice if they could somehow get back to the same level as Mer De Noms and release another full album of original material.

Sounds pretty good instrumentation wise, although slightly uneventful but might work in context of an album. Are they going to put out a new album or is this it to end the band? Either way, gonna have to buy that live DVD.

It's been 10 years since Thirteenth Step?! One of my favourite albums ever.

Emotive gave me the classic Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of war drums, and probably the best Evangelion AMV (back when that was a thing).

Don't hit me don't hit me don't hit don't hit me!

Deadstar

What's more exciting is that this release will include a studio recorded version of their Diary of a Madman vs Lovesong song.

Edit: Looks like it's actually just a live version.

Does anyone know of a bass tab for By and Down song or at least what the tuning is?

Revolver

I miss Paz with a passion

paz04.jpg

She was such a perfect fit for the band. <3

Yeah and I forgot about "Counting Bodies Like Sheep.." on Emotive. That and Passive are the only songs I can go back and listen to. I geeked out when that song was used in the Rage commercial too.

New song is nice enough and has that APC feel. It's been too long. I never really got into Puscifer or Ashes Divide, maybe I should go back and give those bands a re-listen.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Wow this is great. I've never heard of this group before. Anyone want to give me the run down on them? Will definitely pick up their greatest hits bit if all their songs are as good as the on in the OP.

Deadstar

She was such a perfect fit for the band. <3

Yeah and I forgot about "Counting Bodies Like Sheep.." on Emotive. That and Passive are the only songs I can go back and listen to. I geeked out when that song was used in the Rage commercial too.

New song is nice enough and has that APC feel. It's been too long. I never really got into Puscifer or Ashes Divide, maybe I should go back and give those bands a re-listen.

You ever hear the live version? It was incredible.

COUNT BODIES LIKE SHEEP TO THE RHYTHM OF THE WAR DRUMS OW! OW! OW!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Wow this is great. I've never heard of this group before. Anyone want to give me the run down on them? Will definitely pick up their greatest hits bit if all their songs are as good as the on in the OP.

They only have 3 albums, the third being a cover album.

Mer De Noms is amazing. Check out Magdalena, Orestes, 3 Libras, The Noose (from 13th step).

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
They only have 3 albums, the third being a cover album.

Mer De Noms is amazing. Check out Magdalena, Orestes, 3 Libras, The Noose (from 13th step).
Thank you for the recommendations.

Just finished listening to Mer De Noms.

mind-blown-2.gif

They really have a nostalgic vibe for me but I can't quite place why since I haven't heard any of their music before.

forrest

formerly nacire
Love Perfect Circle and got to see them live twice! Paz wore a blue velvet dress the first time I saw them! Listening now!

kris.

Banned
Dang, so I listened to Maynard's WTF interview the other day.
always got the vibe that he'd be kind of a dick but dang he sounded like a chill guy
Reminded me that I haven't listened to Tool or APC in forever. This thread cemented my evening's plans.

Andrew.

Banned
Dang, so I listened to Maynard's WTF interview the other day.
always got the vibe that he'd be kind of a dick but dang he sounded like a chill guy
Reminded me that I haven't listened to Tool or APC in forever. This thread cemented my evening's plans.

You didnt need to spoiler tag that bruh.

the song is mediocre, doesn't go anywhere, bass and drums don't do anything interesting despite being afforded more space than usual... but even at their best, APC were never that good. without keenan they would have sounded like a lot like those generic hard rock bands of late 90s - early 00s.

the song is mediocre, doesn't go anywhere, bass and drums don't do anything interesting despite being afforded more space than usual... but even at their best, APC were never that good. without keenan they would have sounded like a lot like those generic hard rock bands of late 90s - early 00s.

What am I reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom