• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire BOOK Discussion |OT2| Unmarked SPOILERS for Published Material

88random

You are all too pesimistic. I know Martin conditioned you for that, but it has to come out at some point. If he thought he could finish it by the end of 2015. he couldn't have a lot left to write. Early 2017 it is.

Aiii

So not worth it
You are all too pesimistic. I know Martin conditioned you for that, but it has to come out at some point. If he thought he could finish it by the end of 2015. he couldn't have a lot left to write. Early 2017 it is.

I'll trust what GRRM says when he starts showing the receipts.

He thought he could finish it in 2015, didn't make the deadline and now it's 7 months later and he's still not finished. What's to say he'll finish it in another 7, 10, 15 or 24 months? It's not like he gave us that many insights into what is or isn't finished.

Seriously, this is how Brandon Sanderson updates people on his writing:
w1o16TL.png
See now, that's a guy I can trust when he says a book will be finished around this or that date.

GRRM doesn't know when he's finished himself, so any estimates or things he says about it are completely unreliable, really.

Moff

Maybe he should just split TWOW in two parts and relese the half with the POV characters he has already finished and later relese the second part with the other POV characters

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Maybe he should just split TWOW in two parts and relese the half with the POV characters he has already finished and later relese the second part with the other POV characters

But only if he puts all the fan favorite characters in the second book and uses the first book to introduce new ones nobody wants.

Aiii

So not worth it
But only if he puts all the fan favorite characters in the second book and uses the first book to introduce new ones nobody wants.
And fills the missing half of the book with an entire new storyline with entirely new people you've never really cared to hear about before.

Brakke

Banned
So long as the next book has copious material about the fascinating folk of Crackclaw Point I'm still in.

What would we do without a deeper look at the intriguing and ineffable House Crabb.

jett

D-Member

I will make it my mission to burn every single copy of TWOW.

So long as the next book has copious material about the fascinating folk of Crackclaw Point I'm still in.

What would we do without a deeper look at the intriguing and ineffable House Crabb.

You joke, but House Celtigar is one of the few "Valyrian" houses remaining in Westeros, having settled on Dragonstone with House Targaryen and House Velaryon after Daenys Targaryen had a prophetic vision of the Doom and convinced her father and closely allied houses to flee the Freehold.

Unlike House Targaryen, Houses Velaryon and Celtigar are still kicking around in Westeros. It would be very GRRM-like to delve further in to one of the two to shed even a tiny bit of light on the Doom of Valyria.

Moral of the story: don't tempt fate here.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I actually wouldn't have minded that, if he had done it before season 6 aired - now that the season is over though he might as well just release the whole thing at once.

I'm at the point where I don't really care whether GRRM finishes the series or not. I mean, we'll at least have some form of closure with the TV show. GRRM is living the life. If he doesn't feel like writing anymore, more power to him. Let him enjoy his success.

I'd much rather not have the series finished than have GRRM force himself to write the last books out of obligation.

Seems like Winds will feature a lot of material that surpasses the S6 timeline, so he has one more chance to build up some shockers/spoilers before the show ends. This of course assumes he finishes the book before S7. I wouldn't bet on it simply due to his track record, but if he fails to meet that deadline it'll be (another) giant embarrassment of his own creation. How you can go from "I think I can finish in six months" to "I guess I couldn't finish in two years" I have no idea. But then again I should, given the little note at the end of Feast about Dance coming out a year later...yeah.

I was just thinking that multiple storylines end at points that will occur relatively early in Winds. Cersei/Maergery trials seems like they'll be pretty early in Winds, as will the northern/Winterfell battles as well as the Meereen battle. Sam's S6 end point didn't cover his Feast stuff and I'd imagine he'll have more stuff in Winds that likely ties into Euron. All those story lines will be surpassed. Then there's stuff like Arya/Jaime/Brienne/etc that will be completely different. I could see Jaime dying in Winds, actually.

Really looking forward to the book, and I'm pretty relieved that most of the S6 spoilers were things we expected.

jett

D-Member
I'm at the point where I don't really care whether GRRM finishes the series or not. I mean, we'll at least have some form of closure with the TV show. GRRM is living the life. If he doesn't feel like writing anymore, more power to him. Let him enjoy his success.

I'd much rather not have the series finished than have GRRM force himself to write the last books out of obligation.

I've also began to quickly lose interest in GRRM's ASOIAF... But also because I would have to read all five books again before the sixth one. :p And also because ADWD was just awful.

Seems like Winds will feature a lot of material that surpasses the S6 timeline, so he has one more chance to build up some shockers/spoilers before the show ends. This of course assumes he finishes the book before S7. I wouldn't bet on it simply due to his track record, but if he fails to meet that deadline it'll be (another) giant embarrassment of his own creation. How you can go from "I think I can finish in six months" to "I guess I couldn't finish in two years" I have no idea. But then again I should, given the little note at the end of Feast about Dance coming out a year later...yeah.

It also assumes that TWOW will reach as far into the timeline as GRRM would like and a lot of the material won't get pushed into the next book as he admits that the series can't be finished in 7 books.

His last 2 books were also paced really slowly and it took a lot of words to move through plot points, I'm not sure we should be expecting that to completely change. The preview chapters aren't a departure in that regard. The show, especially the way it is paced now, can get through material much more quickly than GRRM can. A 50 minute episode might be several hundred pages in the book.

Black_Sun

It also assumes that TWOW will reach as far into the timeline as GRRM would like and a lot of the material won't get pushed into the next book as he admits that the series can't be finished in 7 books.

His last 2 books were also paced really slowly and it took a lot of words to move through plot points, I'm not sure we should be expecting that to completely change. The preview chapters aren't a departure in that regard. The show, especially the way it is paced now, can get through material much more quickly than GRRM can. A 50 minute episode might be several hundred pages in the book.

I don't know about that. The thing here is that post-AGOT, all his beginning chapters are really slow.

But anyways it helps that GRRM has said that TWOW will only have 13 PoVS maybe 14 now.

dan2026

Just realised that I have read all the books to date and in that period of me reading them no new book has come out.

Hell it's been so long I can't even remember what happened in the last book.

Sibylus

Banned
It's all in good fun brehs.

But thinking over the show, I don't think it'll be a worthy conclusion to the book series so I sincerely do hope that we have Winds out sooner than later. ;_;

Tbh at this stage I have sincere doubts Winds and Spring will be a worthy conclusion to the book series.

Houndi101

How do you feel about Victarion btw? I always thought he was entertaining and a prominent warrior but I was just now listening to Radio Westeros and them calling him "dumb as a stump" gave me pause.

How do you feel about Victarion btw? I always thought he was entertaining and a prominent warrior but I was just now listening to Radio Westeros and them calling him "dumb as a stump" gave me pause.
He is entertaining and a prominent warrior. He's also dumb as hell. He knows Euron is untrustworthy, that his gifts are poision. Yet he believes that Euron is sending him to fetch dragons and "the most beautiful woman in the world" and it's not a trap? Surely a smart person would think "he raped my wife, now he wants me to bring him a wife and dragons. Why wouldn't he expect that I'd steal his wife-to-be and dragons as payback?"

Ryde3

Started reading the series after lurking these GOT threads for over a year, about mid-way through book 2 after a couple weeks, hoping to be done all of them before book 6's surprise Fall 2016 release ;)

... I can dream.

Paganmoon

Started reading the series after lurking these GOT threads for over a year, about mid-way through book 2 after a couple weeks, hoping to be done all of them before book 6's surprise Fall 2016 release ;)

... I can dream.

... Now I'm hoping Book 6 doesn't come out for another 5 years... YOU DON'T KNOW OUR PAIN!

I am just kidding of course, hope you're enjoying your read :)

butalala

... Now I'm hoping Book 6 doesn't come out for another 5 years... YOU DON'T KNOW OUR PAIN!

I am just kidding of course, hope you're enjoying your read :)

Even if book 6 comes out tomorrow, they'd still have to wait another 5 years (optimistically) for book 7.

This is the situation I was in with Dance 5 years ago. Still waiting!

Kwhit10

I don't care what anyone says about Victorian, dude was an awesome brute and his chapters were highly entertaining.

KahooTs

The pale mare, they called it. And like the captain of the Ghiscari Dawn, the captains of the galleys repeated the lie that Daenerys Targaryen was dead.

"Give her a kiss for me in whatever hell you find her," Victarion said. He called for his axe and took their heads off there and then. Afterward he put their crews to death as well, saving only the slaves chained to the oars. He broke their chains himself and told them they were now free men and would have the privilege of rowing for the Iron Fleet, an honor that every boy in the Iron Islands dreamed of growing up. "The dragon queen frees slaves and so do I," he proclaimed.

Vic is great.

Houndi101

It's such a shame that "everything" is so mundane in the tv-show, no bloody mummers on zorses, no Euron with blue lips and a eyepatch or elk for Coldhands...

KahooTs

I can and will explain most everything that is going to happen in the broad strokes and a lot of the detail, if anyone cares to ask. You almost certainly won't believe me, until TWOW anyway, but that doesn't matter, I'm bored and at worst it might spark conversation. I'll need a specific question to answer, any takers?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I kinda want that illustrated edition, hoping they do one for every book.
I'm pretty much going to get it, since my ex-gf's fiancé never gave me it back.
I can and will explain most everything that is going to happen in the broad strokes and a lot of the detail, if anyone cares to ask. You almost certainly won't believe me, until TWOW anyway, but that doesn't matter, I'm bored and at worst it might spark conversation. I'll need a specific question to answer, any takers?
What you talkin bout Willis?

Are you talking about the books or TV show?

What is Davos fate?

Top Bottom