• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AAA arcade racers r dead

Cravis

Redout is ace,

Horizon Chase Turbo is ace,

TrackMania Turbo is ace,

so is Fast RMX.

Grid is fun.

Wipeout Omega Collection is furious despite being just a remaster collection.

Intertial Drift is surprisingly fun too, better than Hot Shot Racing in my opinion(which is decent too).

Wreckfest is incredible fun, although not necessarily classic arcade I wouldn't consider it a sim at all.
Speaking off, Flatout 4 isn't great but far from the catastrophe that was Flatout 3.

Burnout Paradise is still great, so is NfS: Hot Pursuit. Dangerous Driving sucks though.

Been meaning to come back to this thread and thank you. I've got every single game you listed except Inertial Drift. I picked it up since your tastes in arcade racers seems to gel with mine. Can I say, holy shit how did I miss Inertial Drift??!! Game is such a fun racer. The use of the right analog stick for drifting works so well it makes me wonder why no one else has thought of it since.

My hats off to you, thanks for the recommendation!

I never got to play that one I only had PGR3, I heard the folks behind this game along with some other studios in the UK ended up as Playground and thus the Forza Horizon games were born.

I ended up downloading Coast to Coast on PC recently off some abandonware game site. Really amazing game. Too bad it was removed from steam.
How did you get coast 2 coast to work on your pc? Which site?

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I never got to play that one I only had PGR3, I heard the folks behind this game along with some other studios in the UK ended up as Playground and thus the Forza Horizon games were born.

I ended up downloading Coast to Coast on PC recently off some abandonware game site. Really amazing game. Too bad it was removed from steam.
Mind sharing where you downloaded it?

Fox Mulder

Does anyone play Trackmania? I've dabbled but it doesn't hold my interest for long periods like FH.

I downloaded Trackmania Turbo on the ps4 again and forgot how fun it was. I’m already getting more trackmaster medals and beating my 2016 ghost times. Might try to finish the platinum trophy on it.

Last edited:
Been meaning to come back to this thread and thank you. I've got every single game you listed except Inertial Drift. I picked it up since your tastes in arcade racers seems to gel with mine. Can I say, holy shit how did I miss Inertial Drift??!! Game is such a fun racer. The use of the right analog stick for drifting works so well it makes me wonder why no one else has thought of it since.

My hats off to you, thanks for the recommendation!
now i'm re-interested in racing games, thanks!

Uiki

That should be in the thread title at this point.

Tried super woden gp yesterday and it's really promising. I love top down/isometric racers.

Last edited:

Cravis

That hurts. That hurts real bad. It’s so beautiful.

Maybe one day we will get the full story of what went down. From my memory the guy developing it signed with a publisher. They have been shady AF. Due to NDA he can’t talk about it. He moved on to make the The Takeover. That sound about right?

I’ve been playing 80s Overdrive on the switch. Enjoying it so far

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Nope. FH is not and it was explained in previous post of this thread.
majority of people playing racing games would qualify FH as arcade but ofcaurse you can have your own qualification for example only mario kart and sonic racing is arcade game etc

sncvsrtoip

sncvsrtoip sncvsrtoip

Then explain us what an arcade racing game is.
There are levels of realistic approach, usualy we qualify to arcade simcade and sim. Lets start from sim as with obvious examples like rfactor2, Asseto Corsa Competizione, iracing. Then you have more casual approach but still trying to have ralistc handling, laser scanned tracks etc. just not so deep. Major examples are Gran Turismo Sport and Forza Motorsport. And then you have arcade racing games like Forza Horizon, DriveClub, Dirt5 etc. I understand Forza Horizon is more realistic than Mario Kart and Need For Speed Underground but its just more arcade approach than sim approach thats why I wouln't it put in same basket as gt sport tough its continous scale not discrete.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
There are levels of realistic approach, usualy we qualify to arcade simcade and sim. Lets start from sim as with obvious examples like rfactor2, Asseto Corsa Competizione. Then you have more casual approach but still trying to have ralistc handling, laser scanned tracks etc. just not so deep. Major examples are Gran Turismo Sport and Forza Motorsport. And then you have arcade racing games like Forza Horizon, DriveClub etc. I understand Forza Horizon is more realistic than Mario Kart and Need For Speed Underground but its just more arcade approach than sim approach thats why I wouln't it put in same basket as gt sport tough its continous scale not discrete.

It seems that you are too young to understand what an arcade racing game is.

Aretak

It's hard to believe that it'll be 15 years in November since the last real Ridge Racer game on a home console, with only a 3DS game a decade ago to numb the pain since then. I've been playing some Ridge Racer 7 via RPCS3 recently and it still looks and plays great. Awesome soundtrack too. I guess people had grown sick of that style of arcade racer back then, but it's a shame that the franchise has been left to rot after the gigantic misfire of Unbounded.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I cannot make my mind up about Dirt 5. Sometimes it's really fun, but then I'll have a race where the 20 cars bunch up for 3-4 turns, I get through the scrum, and then I have 2.5 laps without another car in sight. I'm grading it on a curve since it's a Gamepass game for me and I didn't pay $60, but it's like one of those movies that just holds your attention enough not to turn it off but then you think you wasted time when it's over.

RAIDEN1

I cannot make my mind up about Dirt 5. Sometimes it's really fun, but then I'll have a race where the 20 cars bunch up for 3-4 turns, I get through the scrum, and then I have 2.5 laps without another car in sight. I'm grading it on a curve since it's a Gamepass game for me and I didn't pay $60, but it's like one of those movies that just holds your attention enough not to turn it off but then you think you wasted time when it's over.
Yeah I found that to be the case still I found it more fun than Dirt 4, but Dirt 5 can't beat Wreckfest that game is like the modern day Destruction Derby

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I like isometric drifting racers. Where are they ? Are they doing ok this gen ?
I have a switch and a 3DS so recommended me some and I’ll have a look. Cool thank you

Really enjoyed Driift mania on my Wii

Last edited:
Donno man, that 30fps on Driveclub never bothered me because it had such great sense of speed. GTS for example is 60fps and I feel like im going 100km/h instead of 320km/h in a bugatti.

Top Bottom