• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game released that year? 1996 edition (56k)

1upsuper

Super Mario 64. It's an easy choice for me. I don't understand how people could think it hasn't aged well. The controls are still great, it's got a super high skill ceiling, and I don't think any 3D platformer has topped it yet, IMO. I still play it fairly frequently.

poodaddy

Jesus Christ that was an amazing year for gaming; so amazing that it was almost difficult to choose.

Almost.....meaning it would of been difficult to choose had Kirby Super Star not released that year making the decision incredibly simple.

Kirby Super Star.

Nice reminder I still need to play the classic Command & Conquer games (TD, RA1).

Duke Nukem 3D (PC)
Good.

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries (PC)
Also good.

Quake (PC)
GODLIKE.

DOOM 2016 is the only game I've played that comes close to replicating the feeling and movement of Quake I. So good.

I played alot of early pc shooters like Wolfenstein, Doom, and Hexen but for some reason I never played Quake. I'm sure I would have been blown away by it but by that time I had my PS1 and Just stopped playing games on pc until early 2000's

Super Mario 64. It's an easy choice for me. I don't understand how people could think it hasn't aged well. The controls are still great, it's got a super high skill ceiling, and I don't think any 3D platformer has topped it yet, IMO. I still play it fairly frequently.

For me aging well shouldn't be a factor. Tekken 2 and Time Crisis were my favorite games that came out that year. I could care less how those games play today.

Enzo88

Totally agreed. I beat the game again a couple of years ago and It's amazing how i feel this is still one of the few games where i have absolute control of each step my character takes.

Of the games that were released that year that i actually played the most as an 10 - 11 yr old kid back then. That must be C&C Red Alert.

Settlers II. I still play this game yearly (though in it's 10th anniversary edition remake).

I'd say Diablo as well, even though the sequel is where I spent the overwhelming majority of my time.

daTRUballin

Oh wow. Still going with these threads OP? Nice work! Pretty great idea for a discussion. Pretty cool how these threads are still kicking. :p

As for my favorite game released in 1996, it would probably have to be Super Mario 64. I didn't play that many games released in 1996, and SM64 is probably the best out of the ones I played.

Pretty weird thread for me seeing as how I wasn't even born yet........

Jesus Christ that was an amazing year for gaming; so amazing that it was almost difficult to choose.

Almost.....meaning it would of been difficult to choose had Kirby Super Star not released that year making the decision incredibly simple.

Kirby Super Star.

I was wondering if anyone else played this. It took too long.

CEKCzND.jpg

It'd have to be LGS' Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri. What a stunning production, despite a very challenging and protracted development.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Always bet on Duke
(3D. most of his other stuff is rubbish, but 3D is timeless fun)

Staf

First of all, these threads are the best thing on GAF. Secondly, Discworld for me. I just love that game. That game had Eric Idle voicing Rincewind.

M3d10n

Sweet Lord, look at the amount of classics in that list. It's downright cruel to ask someone to pick one single game.

I got into Quake years after it came out and could be installed and easily ran by multiple people in typing class on high school quality computers. That was like 99 though.

Biggest 96 game for me that I actually played in 96 was probably KI Gold.

Red Alert, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake and Diablo.

I still play Diablo occasionaly and listen to the soundtrack regularly. So that's probably my favorite out of those.

What a year.

gelf

Ok this is definitely one of favourite years in gaming. I didn't get to play many of these in 96 but still it was awesome when I caught up.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
Resident Evil
Sid Meier's Civilization II
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Tomb Raider
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Cop 2
X-Men: Children of the Atom

Picking a winner out of those is damn tough. Probably the year that cemented me as a Sega and Capcom fan above all else. I suppose I'll pick Virtua Fighter 2 as the stand out.

Crash Bandicoot
Resident Evil 1
Tomb Raider

I was 4 years old in 1996 but i remember watching my dad play these games so that counts right?

Klart

Guardian Heroes (SAT) of course!!!!

54123-Guardian_Heroes_(J)-3.jpg

Still can't understand SEGA only released the remastered version on 360 (& ONE with BC).

Honourable mentions go to VF2 & Nights.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I distinctly recall my mum letting my brothers buy me Quake for my birthday because she assumed it was an educational game about earthquakes.

cireza

It is very difficult to pick anything because this was one of the Sega Saturn years lol.

So many great games on this console...

Terra Phantastica (Japan)
Guardian Heroes
Nights
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Legend of Oasis
Mystaria
Night Warriors
Sengoku Blade
KOF 96

I can reduce this to Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Legend of Oasis, but I can't pick one over the other. Also putting Terra Phantastica and Sengoku Blade here so that more people can notice those excellent games.

Nezzhil

Super Mario 64 is out because it was released in Europe in 1997, so...

1) The Settlers II (PC)
2) Sid Meier's Civilization II (PC)
3) Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PC)
4) Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal (PC)
5) Duke Nukem 3D (PC)

It's funny, but some years later, the RTS ant the FPS became my least favourite game genres. But in 1996, yeah, they where big. By the way, Settlers II and CIV 2 are eternal.

And I played a lot of SNES games too, but PC was amazing that year.

hao chi

Resident Evil would probably be my answer had I ever played more than a few minutes of the original. I love the shit out of REmake though.

I'll go with Mario 64.

smudge

Warcraft 2 (this game made my parents confiscate my modem after I ran up a £300 phone bill playing online)

Tomb Raider

Duke Nukem 3d

Oh wow. Still going with these threads OP? Nice work! Pretty great idea for a discussion. Pretty cool how these threads are still kicking. :p

As for my favorite game released in 1996, it would probably have to be Super Mario 64. I didn't play that many games released in 1996, and SM64 is probably the best out of the ones I played.

Pretty weird thread for me seeing as how I wasn't even born yet........

I'm glad the board members have enjoyed it! I've had a lot of fun making them and I have ideas of what to do past this series, but as long as people are having fun, they'll keep going. ;)

And holy crap, you're young! I just turned 30 two days ago and you weren't even born in 96. =P

I think it's funny that you mentioned Blazing Heroes for this year, but not Mystaria in the 1995 thread. Saturn fans will understand what I'm talking about haha.

If I have to pick one, I guess I would pick Super Mario 64, even though Pilotwings 64 is super close. I fucking love that game so much and it makes me sad that we haven't had a proper sequel.

I always loved N64's launch period games:

Super Mario 64
Pilotwings 64

Wave Race 64(still has yet to be topped)
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire( I don't care what any of the reviews said back in the day, I absolutely loved this game. It was the first Star Wars game to feel like I was in Star Wars)
Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey( I liked this game quite a bit. It was the NBA Jam game for Hockey before Hitz came out)
Cruis'n USA (I was disappointed that they downgraded some stuff from the Arcade, but I still played it a lot).

I remember playing Resident Evil at my Brother's place up in Seattle and it blew me away. I thought the live action intro was amazing lol. One of my favorite series ever.

Super Nintendo had a great send off as well.

Super Mario RPG
Kirby Super Star( I faked sick from school to stay home and my Mom let me rent it)
Donkey Kong Country 3(Last Super Nintendo game I got)

Edit: I didn't have a Saturn at the time so I won't count any here, but man that was a great year for the Saturn(I guess one of two really haha).

Your dad let his 4 year old son watch him play Resident Evil?

imoutfxr3wcwu9n.gif

I can see why you spoiler-tagged that lol.

Getting a PS1 was a pretty big thing when it came out and obviously i wanted to see what was going on. I don't remember much at the time obviously but i do remember my Dad coming home with hundreds of pieces of paper with the walk through on and trying to make sense of it all haha.

Top Bottom