• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaaaaaand Capcom just made a Dragon's Dogma 10th year anniversary website - COUGH COUGH DD2 COMING COUGH COUGH -

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Honestly I'd take a remaster at this point but a full fledged sequel would be amazing.
Would be kinda pointless to remaster and incomplete game, imo.

Better if they focus on a sequel that realizes everything the first game was trying to do, but couldn't, like all the races, the bigger world, the infinite tower, multiplayer, etc.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
DD2 in RE engine would be a killer.
Agreed friend, here's the thing though : from my understanding, the RE engine is more suited to small-ish environments (technical/engine reasons), that's why I think that DD2 will be on the MT framework engine like MH world.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong gents.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Agreed friend, here's the thing though : from my understanding, the RE engine is more suited to small-ish environments (technical/engine reasons), that's why I think that DD2 will be on the MT framework engine like MH world.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong gents.
What about Monster Hunter Rise's big open areas?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
That I don't know They want a game for fall. But I don't know if thats DD2 or SF6. DD2 is in a better state. RE4R also is in a better state and we will see that in some capacity soon as well. Capcom has a lot in the pipeline. Pragmata is the game thats behind.

They will have something for fall, unless they continue doing releases for first half, since they have had more luck sales wise. RE4R is probably Q1 next year, DD2 possibly later this fall. But honestly its all in flux.

Good news is soon we are going to see a lot from Capcom this summer.
What about that Dinosaur, MH/Anthem- like MP co-op game that was shown recently ? Is that slated for 2022 or 2023 ?

Hugare

Dragon Dogma's influence should have been to open world games what the Souls games were to the ARPG genre on the West

It has many flaws, reason why I droped the game years ago. But its combat system is still unmatched in the genre.

Maybe lighting will strike with the second coming

Kssio_Aug

Dragons Dogma is one of the few games that I have been actually interested to play for a LONG time, but for whatever reason I postponed forever. I might actually play it as soon as I'm done with Elden Ring.

TintoConCasera

Hmmmm, is that on the RE engine Tinto ?
Well, I'd imagine that for a PS5/XS game things would be different due to the (much) increased details and resolution needed ?
Don't know brother...
Yes it was! Must be pretty optimized since they managed to put those big scenarios on a Switch. Imagine what they could achieve with proper, modern hardware.

That said, I don't care too much bout the graphics. For me the important technical thing when it comes to DD2 would be the physics and interactivity, as that aspect was great on DD and would love to see it expanded.

DavidGzz

They could one up Elden Ring with a dragon mount. What's better than a double jump? Flight! I hope that the 13.4 million sales in a month made them perk up and put more resources into getting it done.

Keeping a close on eye on this one! First one didn't click with me but obviously got huge potential.

Loving elden ring at the moment but the combat is fairly straight forward and not changed much since demon souls. ( while still being great).

It would be good to have a open world game with deeper DMC like combat

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
My goodness the COPIUM if this just turns out to be a remaster; would be glorious. Though, I a remake or DD2 would be awesome. I am honestly curious if Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are really doing THAT well for CAPCOM that they can ignore all their other IP's (relatively).

. . .as for comparisons to that OTHER open world action-RPG, I much prefer the gameplay and combat in Dragon's Dogma. That other game has wild world design, but "R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 Circle Circle R1 R1 [boss whiffs] R2R2R2CmonStaminaR2R2" there is just so brain dead.

Javthusiast

Banned
The Wind is pushing me!

Happy Hair GIF by Afound

Holammer

Another one from the Nvidia Datamine leak if this is a tease for a sequel.
Original had a dumb story and trying to explain the pawns in-universe was even dumberer. Put the epic storytelling to the side and take a page from Elder Scrolls where the main quest-line is a mere suggestion. Plop down a ton of dungeons with shit to explore instead.
Afaik it was supposed to be high fantasy from the start? How about putting in some elves and dwarves too. Make it a goddamned Isekai.

Astral Dog

Great game that got unfairly treated solely because it came out at a time when Western titles were in vogue, and Japanese stuff wasn't.
nah Dragon's Dogma still sold fairly well and it had way more of a 'western' appeal to it rather than any anime game.

Its combat system was really well made, but everything about the open world and item managment sucked hard, and its narrative was basically nonexistant.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
nah Dragon's Dogma still sold fairly well and it had way more of a 'western' appeal to it rather than any anime game.

Its combat system was really well made, but everything about the open world and item managment sucked hard, and its narrative was basically nonexistant.

The reviews were all "its not Skyrim, but it really wants to be" completely disregarding what DD brought to the table.
2012 was the end of a period where the gaming press was stacked with Xbox fans who were much more into the Western-centric type of product that the 360's success was built upon.

Never forget that 2012 was the time-period where people like Phil Fish were boldly proclaiming Japanese software sucked!
Truth of the matter is that the entire PS3 gen was a lean period, one where Japanese devs frequently found themselves catering to a market that they didn't entirely understand, and really it was only 2011's Dark Souls that heralded a return to their former cool.

My honest opinion is if DD had been released a couple of years later, it would have done way, way better.

Astral Dog

The reviews were all "its not Skyrim, but it really wants to be" completely disregarding what DD brought to the table.
2012 was the end of a period where the gaming press was stacked with Xbox fans who were much more into the Western-centric type of product that the 360's success was built upon.

Never forget that 2012 was the time-period where people like Phil Fish were boldly proclaiming Japanese software sucked!
Truth of the matter is that the entire PS3 gen was a lean period, one where Japanese devs frequently found themselves catering to a market that they didn't entirely understand, and really it was only 2011's Dark Souls that heralded a return to their former cool.

My honest opinion is if DD had been released a couple of years later, it would have done way, way better.
I do agree that Capcom and other companies were obsessed with the western market and that led to some unfortunate managment, thankfully most of that nonsense has faded away though not completely.

Dragon's Dogma had exceptional combat but everything else was mediocre at best(and derivative of WRPGs) , i wish it didn't tried to appeal to the western market as much as it did, then would had standed out a little more among the crowd at the time.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I do agree that Capcom and other companies were obsessed with the western market and that led to some unfortunate managment, thankfully most of that nonsense has faded away though not completely.

Dragon's Dogma had exceptional combat but everything else was mediocre at best(and derivative of WRPGs) , i wish it didn't tried to appeal to the western market as much as it did, then would had standed out a little more among the crowd at the time.
I thought that DD was basically a modern take on D&D with shadow of the colossus mechanics on the side?

Reactions: Isa

Jinzo Prime

Didn't get to play the first one, hyped for the sequel; I hope there's some MonHun references in this game 'cause of the similarities; LET'S GO ITSUNO!!!

Reactions: Isa

Pejo

I hope this one has a simplified fast travel system.
I hope it doesn't have one at all.
merciless evil laugh GIF

Seriously though, planning your travel so that you didn't get stuck in some particularly tough areas at night and the darkness of the world in general at night; that's pretty much a Dragon's Dogma thing. The world felt genuinely dangerous which was awesome.

I didn't like "daytime" being gone at endgame though, the juxtaposition between night/day was what made night all that much more formidable.

Astral Dog

Dark Souls for example is a design that western developers would not be able to copy, its art, monster design and cutscenes are inspired by Berserk, even though its medieval fantasy,it still had its own unique appeal thats why it standed out a bit more than Dragon's Dogma(though i still prefer Dragons Dogma combat 👌)

That said DD was still a success, and the only reason we didn't see a sequel inmediatly is because that same team also develops another popular brand, and they wanted to bring it back to fans after the lukewarm reception of the western reboot. Capcom just doesn't have enough resources/talent to develop both Dragons Dogma and Devil May Cry at the same time, but i think they will expand some day.(they should let another member take the role of director from Itsuno already, he is great but doesn't need to direct all sequels)

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

I disagree with that because in my mind its all very much built around the endgame experience, which is very JRPG-ish. Dark Arisen feels much more "together" because all it is is basically a giant endgame dungeon crawl and drops the open-world trappings altogether.

For me, its very much its own thing and trying to compare it to western "open world" experiences is missing the point. Yes, it has a similar spacious quality but its way more combat-system orientated throughout.

EDIT:

Side-note, its also likely worth noting that Souls only really blew up around the time of the PC port/Artorias of the Abyss in 2012. So even a year might have made a huge diff especially with Bitterblack Isle offering an experience way more obviously similar in style to DS than Elder Scrolls.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I hope it doesn't have one at all.
merciless evil laugh GIF

Seriously though, planning your travel so that you didn't get stuck in some particularly tough areas at night and the darkness of the world in general at night; that's pretty much a Dragon's Dogma thing. The world felt genuinely dangerous which was awesome.

I didn't like "daytime" being gone at endgame though, the juxtaposition between night/day was what made night all that much more formidable.
Yes! Some light survival mechanics would be great too, like I dunno, carrying supplies since the start of the travel so later on you can make a camp and spend the night with your pawns, skipping the night at the cost of those supplies but also granting some kinda buff.

It'd make nights less annoying (as long as you have enough supplies to make a camp) and it'd also be cool for the adventure feels.

Isa

Man I hope this turns out good, I believe it to be true. I love the art style, and really wanted to play DDO with my buddies but that never happened sadly. If they can bring that cool unique style, gameplay and expand on the character creation, as well as the world, races and story it will be a homerun for me. But then again, even if its just a prettier version of the original game I'll still be there day 1. DD is one of my favorite games, and like top 10 easily from that gen, hell probably top 5. Met quite a few friends back on PS3, and subsequently other systems with the PS4/Xbone version.

Damnit! Now I'm gonna go start another playthrough, thanks a lot!

Stuart360

I think people are jumping the gun a bit. I think this is more to do with a remaster, hense why the website is '10th Anniversary'.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I think people are jumping the gun a bit. I think this is more to do with a remaster, hense why the website is '10th Anniversary'.

Entirely possible to have just a remaster or something low effort (like giving a next-gen update); it is the inclusion of all the products in the games timeline that is interesting. Seems a long way to go to list every bit of DD media. . .if you weren't going to announce something more impactful. Better to just do all this through a series of Twitter blogs.

Kumomeme

Yes finally!Dragons Dogma is the best RPG ever with Souls games.The system with your pawn is absolutely amazing.The gameplay is unmatched even if you killed the cyclops for the 100 times it’s still fun like the first time.While games like Skyrim are absolutely trash gameplay wise.I have so much hope for Dragons Dogma 2 especially if it is nextgen only.
this remind me of 9 years old reddit post:

xf_0vwK2W0E-zoOL3nDdsQnKLyOIXUT0gVYnNonyL_U.jpg

Last edited:

Outlier

I downloaded DD:DA about a week ago just to try it and WOW. It's much better than I thought I'd be and was wondering why Capcom hasn't made a sequel, yet.

It's like a combination of Dark Souls 2 and monster hunter, except without the crap, from both of those games.

I still only in the beginning, but I'm looking forward to a sequel already.

bbeach123

I downloaded DD:DA about a week ago just to try it and WOW. It's much better than I thought I'd be and was wondering why Capcom hasn't made a sequel, yet.

It's like a combination of Dark Souls 2 and monster hunter, except without the crap, from both of those games.

I still only in the beginning, but I'm looking forward to a sequel already.
Go magick archer , sorcerer or mystic knight . It make my experience goes from 7 to 10 . Those class you never seen elsewhere .

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

DD is soooo good. There was some criticism at the the main game, but I thought it was great, though once you start Dark Arisen it does feel like a big tutorial. Dark Arisen has tight level design, challenge combined with the awesome DD mechanics. Its such a great game that actually kind of runs circles around Souls if i'm honest.

Top Bottom