• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: Starfield exclusive on Xbox Series X|S and PC - "none of that has or will change"

Fredrik

Bethesda always had a strong relationship with Microsoft, I do not see what's brutal in it. When you have deep pocket you can buy whenever you want, basic capitalism.
Strong relationship sure but people are still used to play DOOM, The Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein etc everywhere. It’s like if Sony bought Square Enix and suddenly Tomb Raider would be exclusive to Playstation.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
They can always be dismissed as "corporate PR" and replaced with a tweet from Red Dragon or anyone else from their twitter circlejerk that better fits the narrative.
Yeah, I can tell, I find it pathetic that radical fanboys say Sony and their exclusives are good but when Microsoft does it, and finally does it. It's bad for consumers. Remember fanboys you guys bitched and moan about Xbox not having games. Well fuck me hard, they now do and you guys can't do shit about it, it's obnoxious and it's one of the reasons why I do not have a PS because the community is more toxic than Xbox and PC and even Nintendo.

Godot25

Banned
Strong relationship sure but people are still used to play DOOM, The Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein etc everywhere. It’s like if Sony bought Square Enix and suddenly Tomb Raider would be exclusive to Playstation.
I mean.
1. Aren't Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy XVI exclusives?
2. You can bet your ass that if Sony bought Square, all their games including Tomb Raider would be PS only

HoofHearted

FFS - people are *STILL* holding on to hope that Starfield will be on PS??? They stated it clearly a few months ago...

I wonder what will happen when the new Indy game comes out and if it's announced as exclusive... ;)

GetemMa

Exclusive games have always been the way. Since the beginning of the home console wars started over 30 years ago it has been this way. It will never change and probably become more prevalent in the future. At least MS is cool enough to put their stuff on PC, while Sony and Nintendo demand that I buy their box. If it is just really about the games then just buy an Xbox or PC. Being a dedicated fan to these corporations so much that you refuse to entertain the idea of another console is about the lamest behavior I can think of. The fact that Sony die hards still hold out hope for Bethesda games is really sad. It's over. The whole point of buying Bethesda was to increase console sales and game pass subs. End of story.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
And there it is.gif

cEvmG2k.gif

Guess some of you will have to buy an xbox or pc.
I saw a Series S at Gamestop at least.

Fredrik

You can bet your ass that if Sony bought Square, all their games including Tomb Raider would be PS only
Absolutely. And you can bet your ass that Xbox and PC gamers will sound like Playstation gamers now. Nothing is surprising here. It just take some time to accept that big titles are suddenly skipping your preferred platform.

MrFunSocks

Banned
The tweet where he says not timed exclusive seems straightforward enough by itself, but the part (in the same tweet) about having tried to be as clear as possible is completely untrue in my opinion. To me it comes across as being told something by someone with visibly crossed fingers.
The game was announced as “Xbox exclusive”. Other games at the show were announced as “Xbox console exclusive” and “first on Xbox”. That says that it’s not a console exclusive and it’s not a timed exclusive.

now we have this tweet where he flat out says “it’s not timed exclusive”, yet we still have people saying it’s “vague” or that there’s some hidden meaning where it’s left open to interpretation. It’s not. It’s straight forward. It’s Xbox exclusive. It’s never coming to PlayStation.

Do Sony have to come out and specify “this game will never release on Xbox or switch” every time they announce a game as PlayStation exclusive? No? Why?

Absolutely. And you can bet your ass that Xbox and PC gamers will sound like Playstation gamers now. Nothing is surprising here. It just take some time to accept that big titles are suddenly skipping your preferred platform.

No, we would accept that it means that Square games aren't going to xbox anymore. We wouldn't be talking about every major game coming to Xbox even after Sony and Square tell us they won't.

Fredrik

No, we would accept that it means that Square games aren't going to xbox anymore. We wouldn't be talking about every major game coming to Xbox even after Sony and Square tell us they won't.
What we’re seeing is this:
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

It’s dumb but it’s hope and people don’t lose hope so fast. It’ll go away in a few releases, I’m guessing it’ll still be there until after next DOOM and Starfield, but after The Elder Scrolls 6 all hope will be gone.
Like I said, it just takes some time. It is a big deal. I mean Skyrim alone has sold more than any Sony release in the history of gaming. Bethesda is a juggernaught.

MrFunSocks

Banned
To spare oneself from heartache just assume EVERY new Bethesda game moving forward is MS exclusive until otherwise explicitly stated so and not the other way around.
Pretty much.

The only ones that will release on Playstation are ones that were already contractually bound to (Deathloop, Ghostwire), or ones that were already nearing completion (Quake), before MS bought Zenimax. After that? Peanuts.

I just caved and bought a Series X in preparation for Halo and 2022; mainly Starfield which is my most anticipated videogame of next year. I also regretted recently paying for Psychonauts 2 for my PS5 when I could've played the game for free through gamepass.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
HOW CLEAR DOES XBOX NEED TO BE CLEAR ON THIS??

"Starfield is not coming to PS consoles" - that's all it really takes. And yet they are not willing to openly say it. I think they don't want to burn the bridge before the game is even out, in case it doesn't drive much GP user growth or doesn't sell god knows how much on XB/PC. I think they are indeed leaving an open door to release the game on PS5 like 3-4 years later in case they will want to milk more money from it.

"Starfield is not coming to PS consoles" - that's all it really takes. And yet they are not willing to openly say it. I think they don't want to burn the bridge before the game is even out, in case it doesn't drive much GP user growth or doesn't sell god knows how much on XB/PC. I think they are indeed leaving an open door to release the game on PS5 like 3-4 years later in case they will want to milk more money from it.
There's also an unwritten rule that you should not publicly mention your direct competitor unless you really, really need to. That might be the reason why they won't say it.

This man also told us that Cuphead was a lifetime exclusive that they were betting big on.
Where?

But you should keep one thing in mind. Cuphead was not owned by MS.

In Starfield case they can do anything as they own it.

See down the line maybe after 2 years, we might see a Complete Edition for 70$ on PS5 but for time being they will keep it within ecosystem till they milk it good

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Where?

But you should keep one thing in mind. Cuphead was not owned by MS.

In Starfield case they can do anything as they own it.

See down the line maybe after 2 years, we might see a Complete Edition for 70$ on PS5 but for time being they will keep it within ecosystem till they milk it good
Nah. Microsoft is not that stupid.

Moment they announce Starfield for PS5, every PS customer will be like "So, yeah. TES VI will also come to PS5, we will just wait." They have to keep it permanent exclusive. Otherwise people will not flock into their ecosystem. Period.

MrFunSocks

Banned
“Starfield is exclusive to Xbox. It is not timed exclusive. This will not change”

Don’t really know why you think that’s not clear.

I don’t remember Sony ever saying “God of War is not coming to Xbox” come to think of it….. Holy cow, God of war might come to Xbox!!

Marvel

could never
Launching exclusively sounds like for one year or something lol. Hope it stays locked to xbox though, ms need it and it will force me to use my series x.

Topher

Gold Member
“Starfield is exclusive to Xbox. It is not timed exclusive. This will not change”

Don’t really know why you think that’s not clear.

I don’t remember Sony ever saying “God of War is not coming to Xbox” come to think of it….. Holy cow, God of war might come to Xbox!!

What are you quoting?

"Starfield will be an launching exclusively on Xbox Series X|S and PC on November 11, 2022. Game Pass members can play it day one as well on Xbox & PC. I know we have said this all before and none of that has or will change."

And then he had to answer a follow up question because he said "launching exclusively". I'm not one of those hoping for the game to be on PlayStation one day, but if Greenberg had said what you quoted then there would be a lot less to talk about.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Launching exclusively sounds like for one year or something lol. Hope it stays locked to xbox though, ms need it and it will force me to use my series x.
What are you quoting?

"Starfield will be an launching exclusively on Xbox Series X|S and PC on November 11, 2022. Game Pass members can play it day one as well on Xbox & PC. I know we have said this all before and none of that has or will change."

And then he had to answer a follow up question because he said "launching exclusively". I'm not one of those hoping for the game to be on PlayStation one day, but if Greenberg had said what you quoted then there would be a lot less to talk about.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Ow you want comments, well it was in front of your own eyes all year long. The word "anti-consumer" must have been filtered out for you then on this forum? So you have never seen people creating threads about Sony for timed exclusive games (something MS is also doing a lot, look at all those games that are coming from indies, and STALKER, Warhammer etc etc).

But sure close your eyes. I bet you would even ignore the fact that xbox fanboys were downplaying the PS5's hardware being weak, RDNA1, Software RT, SSD not needed, xbox fanboys can't stand it that the PS5 is selling as even better and all the lies didn't come true.
It Will Be Okay Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

i thought it was made perfectly clear it is not coming to Playstation so why are people still going on about it?

would you expect a game like Horizon Forbidden West to come to Xbox? No. MS own Bethesda. Starfield is a MS game and therefore will be exclusive to MS platforms Xbox + PC. it's really as simple as that. i'm sorry if you want to play it on your PS5 but it's just not gonna happen. same goes for Elder Scrolls VI. you want to play it? buy an xbox or build a PC. i'm sure you'd be quick enough to tell someone to go buy a PS5 if they wanted to play Horizon, right?

Last edited:

Sweep14

Let's move the goalpost a bit further : How can you play Starfield without entering MS Ecosystem ?
I mean if you play Horizon zero dawn on PC, you're doing it completely outside of PlayStation's ecosystem (buy game on Steam, play on a Windows system, no PSN ID required iirc).
Now if Someone wants to do something similar (play Starfield without entering MS's ecosystem) how does he/she proceed ? 🤪

Topher

Gold Member
Let's move the goalpost a bit further : How can you play Starfield without entering MS Ecosystem ?
I mean if you play Horizon zero dawn on PC, you're doing it completely outside of PlayStation's ecosystem (buy game on Steam, play on a Windows system, no PSN ID required iirc).
Now if Someone wants to do something similar (play Starfield without entering MS's ecosystem) how does he/she proceed ? 🤪

If you play Starfield on Steam you are playing the game in the Steam ecosystem. A required login doesn't change that.

Genx3

I think people are mixing things up.

3rd Party exclusives that would otherwise been multiplat like Street Fighter 5, Final Fantasy, Guilty Gear, etc. for example are bad and anti consumer.

3rd Party timed exclusives are also anti consumer but not as bad as full 3rd party exclusives like above. At least they eventually release on other HW.

1st Party exclusives is the only way console makers can leverage an advantage over their competitors.
They are necessary in order to differentiate and make their hardware appealing.

3rd Party exclusives that would never have existed unless they were funded by a 1st party are good as well.
Look at Returnal from House Marquee or Alan Wake from Remedy as examples.

Last edited:

Even if it doesn't move game pass subscriptions or sell, the game isn't going to Playstation consoles. Starfield should be treated as a Halo or Forza title now, as should all other major Bethesda singleplayer games moving forward.

Same will hold true for most multiplayer games also with rare exceptions being made for, I think, major MMO projects.

That's what Microsoft paid for.

Topher

Gold Member
No, you need to be a part of the MS ecosystem, because you need Windows 😆😏 ( just being facetious...a bit)

Ok but, facetious or not, Windows is an open platform, not a closed ecosystem. And on Steam, Microsoft is the one paying commission to Valve.

Starfield

Starfield is going to be Microsofts next flagship title.

This game is going to set a new era for Bethesda. Trust me on that.

They are going to stay a little quiet on that game other than some smaller videos and lore posts.

Once infinite is shipped the Starfield hype machinery will be turned on at full force

Papacheeks

Banned
I think people are mixing things up.

3rd Party exclusives that would otherwise been multiplat like Street Fighter 5, Final Fantasy, Guilty Gear, etc. for example are bad and anti consumer.

3rd Party timed exclusives are also anti consumer but not as bad as full 3rd party exclusives like above. At least they eventually release on other HW.

1st Party exclusives is the only way console makers can leverage an advantage over their competitors.
They are necessary in order to differentiate and make their hardware appealing.

3rd Party exclusives that would never have existed unless they were funded by a 1st party are good as well.
Look at Returnal from House Marquee or Alan Wake from Remedy as examples.

Here's the thing about titles like Street FIghter V Sony invested tons of development money to capcom for SFV, and spent their own money for Capcom's Pro tour, and ported Super Street Fighter 4 arcade edition to PS4 on their own dime. They also have supported the fighting scene for years with tons of money and now recently bought EVO and supports throughout the year all the tournaments.

Though Street fighter has been third party for as long as its existed. Over time Nintendo has shown not much interest in supporting it because of hardware choices. On top of the investment needed for online support. Hence why they are kind of distancing themselves from the fight scene.
Sony invests tons into Japanese development, and builds small teams up through investment. Then over time they either incorporate them in or get talent through Collaborations. Microsoft has had a great relationship with Bethesda since PC titles. They spent a good amount of money getting morrowind on Xbox and Oblivion/Fallout.

But they didnt fund those games directly. They helped in getting them running on their platforms through engineering support. Which money was exchanged in that aspect of it, along with promotion. Those games were getting made regardless.
Microsoft does not have the organic track record as Sony does when it comes to nurturing studios let alone an entire publisher. If this was a long time coming type of deal MS would have had way more money involved with ID software and the likes for a bunch of their titles. Same with Arcane studios.
MS just used their bank and bought them and it could have easily been someone else who bought them if the price was right.

Total difference in approaches. Sony acquired HOUSEMARQUE after investing heavily in them over the course of a decade. It made sense after seeing how well Returnal came out that they want to make them permanent partner.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

'Launching exclusively' is still quite unclear....

Is it perpetual or is it just for launch?

Of course the xbox guys are going to say it will be exclusive forever but it needs to be clarified beyond doubt and that statement from Greenberg just didn't do that. IMO.

Aaron Greenberg: We have tried to be as clear as possible, not a timed exclusive, this is simply where the game is being made.

Bryank75:
200.gif

Top Bottom