• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: Starfield exclusive on Xbox Series X|S and PC - "none of that has or will change"

StormCell

I prefer Playstation to have their unique top quality franchises also that stay on their hardware platforms, or at least eventually come to PC as well, and I'll play them on playstation consoles. Even with an amazing PC I greatly enjoy the console experience. I own both PS5 and Series X, and I totally see Xbox being my likely preferred gaming platform all gen, but I look forward to all the amazing things PS5 will offer that I can't ever see on Xbox.

The worst offenders in this industry want there to be no difference at all between the major platforms, where everything is shared on everything, so they can give us worst deals that are better for their bottom lines than for our enjoyment of games. But when there is active competition in the form of other viable platforms with unique game experiences, it keeps them honest because they don't want to not sell to that consumer base also. So what Nintendo does, what Sony does and what Microsoft does is all beneficial to all of us in some shape or form because they have different content and approaches to things.

There used to be much bigger differences among the platforms. Between PS5 and Xbox Series S|X, I am not seeing a stark contrast. Yes, I've heard all about the SSD's, and I don't think it will be nearly as big a contrast as we saw in previous generations (PS1 vs N64, PS2 vs GCN vs XBX, PS3 vs 360 ehhhh...) where a difference in RAM and cache memory amounts and even TYPES had a considerable impact on what the platform exclusive dev teams could achieve (ie. Super Mario Sunshine water types of achievements).

Now, it's sort of just all down to how much they can load and push through the rendering pipeline, and what they can't load fast enough will just pop in a quarter of a second slower/later than the other guy's. lol

Yeah, I don't buy any secret sauce no matter what they talk about with engines. Same thing and better is already out there for PC builders. It already is. The engines will just be made to support all the things so it can run on all the things with varying differences that compensate for for... differences.

But I do appreciate all the exclusives from Sony and Nintendo. And even Microsoft.

The year is 2040. It has been eighteen years since Starfield launched on Xbox and PC. With the looming launch of the Xbox cortical implant exclusive Elder Scroll VI, Playstation cortical implant fans have finally accepted that Starfield may not be coming to Playstation after all but for sure Elder Scrolls VI will be.

Topher

Gold Member
The year is 2040. It has been eighteen years since Starfield launched on Xbox and PC. With the looming launch of the Xbox cortical implant exclusive Elder Scroll VI, Playstation cortical implant fans have finally accepted that Starfield may not be coming to Playstation after all but for sure Elder Scrolls VI will be.

In other news, Star Citizen announced its first public Beta.....

Old Man Dance GIF by Betty Who

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
No amount of research changes the fact every Street Fighter since Street Fighter 2 was a Multiplat...

But in reality that was during the 16-32 bit era? Their last major release before xbox360/ps3 gen was Street Fighter EX2 and that only released on PS2 and in Japan on DREAMCAST. Never came to any other platform. And it was the last street fighter game until Street Fighter 4 which came to both PC,PS3,XBOX360. So you can say that but there are factors in a lot of the releases when they moved over to 128bit and up.

There's primary pattern that up until street fighter 4, street fighter vs tekken, and marvel vs capcom 2-3 .Primarily for major street fighter releases Playstation and Sega were the main platforms. From Alpha series, to 3rd strike to EX series all on Sega/Playstation platforms. Then you got ports later on of alpha series, and collections on gameboy, xbox, neo geo.

Last edited:

iHaunter

First off all Xbox releases are multi-platform. People seem to forget the PC. Secondly wouldn't that be true for all games? I hope you are just as vocal for Sony and Nintendo to get more of their games off of just their systems.
Did you even READ what I said? I'm simply echoing Microsoft's strategy that they always used. Sony and Nintendo did not spend BILLIONS of dollars on a single company so they don't need to look good to investors on that front.

Also PC is not a Console. I'm talking about consoles.

Last edited:
Will you actually read what I wrote?

I did. I don't find the minecraft example you used convincing at all. That's a game that lots of kids play, it's a platform all its own, like Elder Scrolls Online or Fallout 76, so it makes zero sense to just up and take it away from existing fanbases. That same criteria doesn't hold for Elder Scrolls 6 or Starfield.

Also, Aaron Greenberg was simply working with the situation that he had. He now has a much different, much stronger position from which to market and operate from, so I feel we can absolutely take him at his word. And he's an amazingly nice guy. I've met him at E3 countless times. Down to earth, always has time to stop and talk to anybody, very cool individual.

junguler

Banned
exclusivity is anti consumer no matter who does it, the more people having access to a game the better. i'm hoping the time comes when the deciding factor on what to buy is the console/pc itself and the features and services it provides, not the exclusives it has.

There used to be much bigger differences among the platforms. Between PS5 and Xbox Series S|X, I am not seeing a stark contrast. Yes, I've heard all about the SSD's, and I don't think it will be nearly as big a contrast as we saw in previous generations (PS1 vs N64, PS2 vs GCN vs XBX, PS3 vs 360 ehhhh...) where a difference in RAM and cache memory amounts and even TYPES had a considerable impact on what the platform exclusive dev teams could achieve (ie. Super Mario Sunshine water types of achievements).

Now, it's sort of just all down to how much they can load and push through the rendering pipeline, and what they can't load fast enough will just pop in a quarter of a second slower/later than the other guy's. lol

Yeah, I don't buy any secret sauce no matter what they talk about with engines. Same thing and better is already out there for PC builders. It already is. The engines will just be made to support all the things so it can run on all the things with varying differences that compensate for for... differences.

But I do appreciate all the exclusives from Sony and Nintendo. And even Microsoft.

I'd tend to agree usually, but this time around there are some interesting paradigms, if they become common, that could turn out to be a very big deal for games on Xbox and by extension PC. Sampler Feedback Streaming is something that I see being a very big deal if it's as practical for games as Microsoft makes it seem. And if the Series X's machine learning acceleration turns out to actually be viable, then we will actually see meaningful benefits to the games where it's in use.

I'm not saying it will lead to some massive gap or anything, but whatever helps to make games even better, I'm looking forward to, and there are technical aspects of both systems that carry such potential. The geometry side of things is on the verge of undergoing a major uptick, as are a number of other areas where environmental design and detail are concerned.

Last edited:

StormCell

So if it comes to PC it HAS to come to Game Pass? Why can't you just purchase te game outright if it does come to PC? Why is the catch that it has to go onto Game Pass for so many people to want to play these games?

My desire for it to come to Game Pass is for Game Pass to continue to be the best deal around. Let's be honest, Game Pass is doing an incredible job of driving interest and sales of additional content for games. A lot of games on GP are the base edition only meaning if there's worthwhile additional content and you like the base game, you will inevitably by the DLC and if you continue to be interested in the game after it leaves GP, then you'll purchase the game too...

But at $15/mo or so, I like having a selection of AAA titles that I can play. As things are today, I skipped a great number of AAA titles on PS4 because I wasn't going to pay full price for them and then when they did come down in price I was practically too busy to feel good about purchasing them. Assassin's Creed is a good example of a game I would go ahead and download from GP, and if it really clicks for me then I feel good, and it doesn't then I'm glad I didn't invest $30 into it. Without GP, I'll probably not ever try it (that will make Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla that I've skipped).

PS. Because it went to GP, I'm likely to buy The Show for Xbox if it leaves GP.

SpokkX

I mentioned this long ago.

But it makes perfect sense for Starfield to be the first Xbox exclusive for Bethesda.

Fallout and Elder Scrolls are a known quantity. They have the past sales data to know how much money they would miss out if they don't sell it on Playstation.

However, Starfield is a new IP. Even if it is just a reskinned Skyrim In Space, technically it is like Bloodborne for Sony (instead of part of the Darksouls franchise).

And the thing is that there is no loyal customers of Starfield out there, no expectations and nobody to get mad. Further there is no sales data, so the stock market wouldn't be able to compare the Starfield sales with past versions of its self that was multiplat, as it doesn't exist before.

So Xbox obviously want to have Starfield as an Xbox exclusive FIRST, as it is the best one for testing the waters. What would the reception be? How much money would they gain/lose? How much effect if any on Gamepass numbers? And either way would reflect on what Xbox would do with the future projects AFTER Starfield.
The thing is.. Microsoft does not operate under the same rules as almost any other company. They make so much money in other division so they can play the long game

they DONT CARE if they loose money by not selling any game on playstation

they want to grow their ecosystem long term

THAT is their strategy that and it takes priority before everything else.

they wont sell elder scrolls 6, starfield, doom etc on playstation. Unless playstation embraces the xbox ecosystem with gamepass.

It really is that simple

oh and dont compare to minecraft - beause minecraft is more a platform than a game. It benefits other ms divisions such as education etc

Last edited:
Did you even READ what I said? I'm simply echoing Microsoft's strategy that they always used. Sony and Nintendo did not spend BILLIONS of dollars on a single company so they don't need to look good to investors on that front.

The single company had several development studios so it was an investment for their platform for additional content. How much money has Sony spent on gaming since they entered the industry? Your commentary about investors make no sense either. Don't Sony and Nintendo have investors to make happy or are they charitable organizations? You said 'multi-plat' not console. PC is absolutely is a platform. If you want to limit to consoles the point still stands Sony and Nintendo could make more money if they put their games on other consoles just like you suggest for MS. Be consistent.

THEAP99

Banned
Backstory: Pete Hines gave an interview where he hinted at upcoming PlayStation releases (WHICH ARE QUAKE AND SKYRIM), but a PlayStation fansite twisted his words into clickbait to assume me meant Starfield was coming out on PS5. As things do, it blows up on Twitter:

"Launching exclusively" probably isn't the right thing Aaron should say

iHaunter

The single company had several development studios so it was an investment for their platform for additional content. How much money has Sony spent on gaming since they entered the industry? Your commentary about investors make no sense either. Don't Sony and Nintendo have investors to make happy or are they charitable organizations? You said 'multi-plat' not console. PC is absolutely is a platform. If you want to limit to consoles the point still stands Sony and Nintendo could make more money if they put their games on other consoles just like you suggest for MS. Be consistent.
Agree and disagree. Sony IS putting games on PC, they even purchased a studio to do just that; however the method Sony used to get ahead with the PS4 generation IS by selling good console exclusives. Hardware sales come at a loss at first, then they turn into a profit as the cost of hardware goes down. I still their method is the best. Release on console first. Then 1 year later release on PC. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't do that. You comparing the purchases Sony has made since existence vs the one multi-bill purchase is not even remotely close to a fair comparison. Be consistent.

MrFunSocks

Banned

I don't think you understand how acquisitions work in regards to shareholders.

MS spent $7.5 billion, and now have an asset worth $7.5 billion on their books. By doing so they've dramatically bolstered their pc and console gaming portfolio.

They don't need to "make their money back", their money didn't go anywhere. They bought assets that are worth what they paid. Their balance sheet is the same, if not better now that it was before they bought them.

exclusivity is anti consumer no matter who does it, the more people having access to a game the better. i'm hoping the time comes when the deciding factor on what to buy is the console/pc itself and the features and services it provides, not the exclusives it has.
Exclusivity isn't anti consumer. Paying for timed exclusivity of a game that would otherwise release at the same time on multiple consoles and platforms is anti consumer, but a console maker making games for their console exclusively is not in any way anti consumer.

I swear "anti consumer" has lost all meaning thanks to console wars.

Last edited:
Agree and disagree. Sony IS putting games on PC, they even purchased a studio to do just that; however the method Sony used to get ahead with the PS4 generation IS by selling good console exclusives. Hardware sales come at a loss at first, then they turn into a profit as the cost of hardware goes down. I still their method is the best. Release on console first. Then 1 year later release on PC. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't do that. You comparing the purchases Sony has made since existence vs the one multi-bill purchase is not even remotely close to a fair comparison. Be consistent.
I certainly am. I am counting all the moves MS has made since being in the industry and Sony has made since being in the industry. Have they both bought studios? Yes. Do they both make game consoles? Yes. Do they both have investors to make happy? Yes. Only you are calling out some sort of issue with MS buying a game studios to get exclusives yet seem to be arguing that Sony's exclusives came from thin air and not from also buying studios to get exclusives. Why would you call out the PS4 generation when Sony has 3 prior generations when they were also buying studios and getting exclusives? Both companies are in the business to do the same thing, make money. You yourself called that out. The point remains that if MS could make more money putting their games on other consoles, so could Sony and Nintendo. There is no reason to think Spiderman or Mario wouldn't sell on an Xbox.

junguler

Banned
Exclusivity isn't anti consumer. Paying for timed exclusivity of a game that would otherwise release at the same time on multiple consoles and platforms is anti consumer, but a console maker making games for their console exclusively is not in any way anti consumer.

I swear "anti consumer" has lost all meaning thanks to console wars.
they have the right to not release their games on the competitor console or pc and that's fine and good but it doesn't mean i have to agree with it, it's choice that's taken away from us and i find that anti consumer.

MrFunSocks

Banned
they have the right to not release their games on the competitor console or pc and that's fine and good but it doesn't mean i have to agree with it, it's choice that's taken away from us and i find that anti consumer.
It's not "choice that's taken away from us" though. You have the choice to buy the hardware that the game plays on or not. If it's being made by the console maker they aren't removing any choice of yours. Like I said, the only time exclusives are even remotely "anti consumer" is when one of the companies is paying to keep the game off other consoles/platforms, ie. most, but not all, timed exclusives.

junguler

Banned
It's not "choice that's taken away from us" though. You have the choice to buy the hardware that the game plays on or not. If it's being made by the console maker they aren't removing any choice of yours. Like I said, the only time exclusives are even remotely "anti consumer" is when one of the companies is paying to keep the game off other consoles/platforms, ie. most, but not all, timed exclusives.
well, what you are saying is technically right and true but it still doesn't change how i feel about the whole situation.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I did. I don't find the minecraft example you used convincing at all. That's a game that lots of kids play, it's a platform all its own, like Elder Scrolls Online or Fallout 76, so it makes zero sense to just up and take it away from existing fanbases. That same criteria doesn't hold for Elder Scrolls 6 or Starfield.

Also, Aaron Greenberg was simply working with the situation that he had. He now has a much different, much stronger position from which to market and operate from, so I feel we can absolutely take him at his word. And he's an amazingly nice guy. I've met him at E3 countless times. Down to earth, always has time to stop and talk to anybody, very cool individual.
I'm saying that
A) Aaron has a history of being shite at clarifying things (shocking when he is in marketing)
B) Prior history shows that bought IP has found its way outside the Xbox ecosystem (I pointed out an example that people would point to when there were presented with a poorly worded comment)
C) I know what Aaron was trying to say but he bungled it...again.
He might be your buddy but he is septic at marketing and has been there since he helped bungle the launch of the Xbone. Does he really need more time? I hope Bethesda keep him away from the promotional efforts when releasing their IP.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm saying that
A) Aaron has a history of being shite at clarifying things (shocking when he is in marketing)
B) Prior history shows that bought IP has found its way outside the Xbox ecosystem (I pointed out an example that people would point to when there were presented with a poorly worded comment)
C) I know what Aaron was trying to say but he bungled it...again.
He might be your buddy but he is septic at marketing and has been there since he helped bungle the launch of the Xbone. Does he really need more time? I hope Bethesda keep him away from the promotional efforts when releasing their IP.
By prior history you mean.........minecraft, the literal biggest game of all time. It's the exception to every rule in the book.

He didn't bungle anything. He very clearly stated that it's xbox exclusive, and then replied to people saying that can mean timed exclusive with "not timed exclusive". Non-Xbox owners are just having a hard time coping so they are trying to find ways to twist it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
By prior history you mean.........minecraft, the literal biggest game of all time. It's the exception to every rule in the book.

He didn't bungle anything. He very clearly stated that it's xbox exclusive, and then replied to people saying that can mean timed exclusive with "not timed exclusive". Non-Xbox owners are just having a hard time coping so they are trying to find ways to twist it.

If his first statement were clear then there would be no need for a second statement. That was his fuck up. That isn’t twisting anything.

If his first statement were clear then there would be no need for a second statement. That was his fuck up. That isn’t twisting anything.
But why did he need to follow "not a timed exclusive" (wich was in itself not in a complete sentence) with "this is simply where the game is being made"? Like duh what's the point of that last statement? Well yes the whole thing reminds me Spencer twisting words with "Deal with a duration" talking about Tomb Raider exclusivity.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
But why did he need to follow "not a timed exclusive" (wich was in itself not in a complete sentence) with "this is simply where the game is being made"? Like duh what's the point of that last statement? Well yes the whole thing reminds me Spencer twisting words with "Deal with a duration" talking about Tomb Raider exclusivity.

These PR guy say weird shit like that. I don't get it either. The phrased the Tomb Raider thing as "exclusive to Xbox One, Holiday 2014 (or whatever year it was)" and everyone read that as exclusive to Xbox One and releasing that holiday. In fact, they were saying it was a timed exclusive and they had to clarify that after the fact. If they were clear from the beginning they would have to clarify over and over again.

The fact that they have come out clarifying multiple times because Playstation fans keep insisting the games are going to come to Playstation eventually should be clarification enough.

Why would they issue clarification if those Playstation fans were correct?

It's clear a shit ton of gamers want to play this video on their favorite platform. That's the one undeniable fact in all of this.

Markio128

These PR guy say weird shit like that. I don't get it either. The phrased the Tomb Raider thing as "exclusive to Xbox One, Holiday 2014 (or whatever year it was)" and everyone read that as exclusive to Xbox One and releasing that holiday. In fact, they were saying it was a timed exclusive and they had to clarify that after the fact. If they were clear from the beginning they would have to clarify over and over again.
They just want people to talk about it, and leaving the door open for doubt obviously causes more discussion. I have no doubt that Starfield is not coming to Sony consoles.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
They just want people to talk about it, and leaving the door open for doubt obviously causes more discussion. I have no doubt that Starfield is not coming to Sony consoles.
I agree on it not coming on PS but I disagree on intentionally poor promotion to stay relevant. If Starfield needed to rely on stupid comments about 15 months from release to stay relevant, they are fucked. Starfield will not fail so it doesn't need the sideshow. You're giving people too much credit. Aaron is as useful as a chocolate dildo

skit_data

It is. And it’s even more incredible how little we know about the game for it to garner such hype. I think it’s because the thought of a Skyrim in space is so intriguing.
I’ve never been much of a fan of TES games. I like the Fallout games but have yet to manage to complete any one of them outside of FO3 because my saves got corrupted.

Personally I’ll wait and see. The ”skyrim in space” analogy comes off as kinda meh for someone who’s not a huge fan of Skyrim or Oblivion.

Markio128

I agree on it not coming on PS but I disagree on intentionally poor promotion to stay relevant. If Starfield needed to rely on stupid comments about 15 months from release to stay relevant, they are fucked. Starfield will not fail so it doesn't need the sideshow. You're giving people too much credit. Aaron is as useful as a chocolate dildo
To be fair, Starfield is a new IP, so there is never any guarantee that is is going to be as well received as Bethesda’s other games.

Markio128

I’ve never been much of a fan of TES games. I like the Fallout games but have yet to manage to complete any one of them outside of FO3 because my saves got corrupted.

Personally I’ll wait and see. The ”skyrim in space” analogy comes off as kinda meh for someone who’s not a huge fan of Skyrim or Oblivion.
I can’t imagine it being a big departure from the norm, so I can understand why your not so hyped for it.

No I’m NOT excited and you seriously need to reevaluate your paranoid, overly defensive stance.
If you feel the need to call me biased because I’m not excited for this IP while telling me to attack Sony fans over Abandoned…well you may need to take your OWN medicine.
May I ask why you aren't excited for Starfield? It's Bethesda most ambitious game ever and is promising a galaxy to explore, multiple locations. It could be very special indeed, and is more likely to deliver on what Star Citizen has promised but sadly failed to do.

May I ask why you aren't excited for Starfield? It's Bethesda most ambitious game ever and is promising a galaxy to explore, multiple locations. It could be very special indeed, and is more likely to deliver on what Star Citizen has promised but sadly failed to do.

In my honest opinion, Bethesda has yet to miss on one of their major singleplayer RPGs. Even though people had gripes about Fallout 4, it was still an exceptional videogame.

Genx3

What you are not understanding is that this will keep people that don't currently own an Xbox talking about Xbox exclusives.
If it were clear that it were not coming to other platforms then those fanbases would not enter any of the games discussions or topics.

This is free publicity to the people you want to attract...

Last edited:
Top Bottom