• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

about buying Ether in FFIV

frogg609

So Cecil and Co. are in their low 20's, and I'm about to go to
the Magnetic Cave
, but I wanted to buy some Ether first. I can't find any at any of the towns I've been to (my ass is currently parked at Troia).

Where can I buy some of these pesky potions at?

I don't remember exactly at what point in the game you get to the magic town (where you get turned mini or into a pig), but I believe you can buy it there.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Benadryl Hitman said:
I don't remember exactly at what point in the game you get to the magic town (where you get turned mini or into a pig), but I believe you can buy it there.

Nope, can't buy 'em in Mysdia. I think you'll have to wait until you can get to the Namingway cave at the end of the game or try and gank some off of some monsters.

Link1110

I think in the hardtype, you can buy them as early as Baron, but they cost anh extreme amount of money.

Gruco

Banned
If you want to go throught the cave fighting a long the whole way you could use some, although you don't need more than a handful and should have grabbed enough on your way through the game to this point. If you're determined to get more they should be available in Baron or Mysidia (I definitely remember being able to buy them by this point in the game)

Or you can just blow through. The next dungeon offers a much better opportunity to level anyways.

lachesis

Heck, I didn't know ether was avaialble to buy at this point? I thought it was only on sale on the moon, at hummingway place...

hoqhuuep

lachesis said:
Heck, I didn't know ether was avaialble to buy at this point? I thought it was only on sale on the moon, at hummingway place...

This is true. Also, ether sells for either 10k or 50k (can't remember which), which is probably too expensive for your wallet right now.

lachesis said:
Yep, you can't buy ether at this point in the game.

Once you get to
The Moon
, you can buy all the ether you want.

Try not to waste your magic though. With respect to healing, only use healing spells when you have to. Using potions will save your magic for times when you really need it, like boss battles.

HomShaBom

Banned
I've been working on this game since it came out(GBA). Just now getting to the moon. I always quit then get back into it.

Aurora

PhoenixDark said:
Try not to waste your magic though. With respect to healing, only use healing spells when you have to. Using potions will save your magic for times when you really need it, like boss battles.

Yes, definitely.

But anyway, frogg609 screw the Ethers, just hold L+R FTW!

Red Scarlet

I think the easiest reliable source of Medusa Arrows are Black Lizards
underground
. They're very weak attack power-wise.

Topic starter: If you need Ether because of running low on MP from heal spells, try buying Potion or High Potion instead. High Potions restore like 495 HP out of battle and can be bought at Mysidia.

Gruco

Banned
Okay crap, nevermind, I just checked the GBA game and ether is definitely not available. Must be an easytype/hardtype thing.

I thought cheap Ether (first seen in VI?) was one of the biggest balance-breakers in the later FFs. IX made it expensive again, and that alone improved the battle balance enormously over the previous two games.

thefro

You don't need ethers. Tellah isn't meant to wipe out whole groups of enemies with high-level magic repeatedly.

Use potions or Cecil's low level White Magic to cure in between battles and just hit the Fight command. Yang and Cid pack a good punch.

Yeah, I agree in that you should not have to buy ethers at that point. Part of the challenge of that game for me was balancing fighting and running and getting from save point to save point where you can use your tents and cabins. It makes the game a much more intense experience.

Top Bottom