• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abrams screens new Trek footage. Detailed write up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
Abrams screened some footage for selected journalists. Empire has a really detailed write up.

The writer seems very positive. I however, am not so sure.

CLIP 1

Empire said:
The first clip begins in Iowa, on Earth. We see an American bar, much like one in the 20th century, except for the outfits and the occasional alien patron. Zoe Saldana’s Uhura weaves through the throng and goes up to the bar. She orders a round, including a fire tea, Budweiser classics and some Cardassian sunrises. In a sly nod to Abrams’ other work, the bartender recommends the Slusho mixer as well. Just as she finishes the order, a clearly intoxicated man two seats down says he’ll pick up the tab. She rebuffs him and the two engage in a lively bout of verbal sparring until he introduces himself “it’s Jim, Jim Kirk.”

Uhura, it seems, is studying Xeno linguistics and Kirk’s grasp of the subject indicates he’s more than what he seems. Uhura: “I’m impressed, for a moment I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.” Kirk: “not only.” A group of burly Starfleet cadets (including a surly looking Sulu) intervene to ask if the drunk ‘townie’ is making a nuisance of himself. Uhura says he is but she can handle herself. Unfortunately the cadets have something to prove and, after being summarily dismissed by an unimpressed Kirk, the leader lays him out.

What follows is a sizeable ruckus as Kirk fends off all four before being pounded nearly senseless on top of a table. As Sulu and the others continue to throw punches a shrill whistle penetrates the brawl. It’s Captain Pike, he glares at the wayward cadets before telling them to get out.

Cut to: Pike and Kirk sitting at a table, Kirk mopping the blood from his nose. Pike reads Kirk the riot act for wasting his life and being the only “genius-level repeat offender in the Midwest.” Pike served with Kirk’s father aboard the USS Kelvin and suggests that joining Starfleet academy would be a better use of Kirk’s time than brawling. “You understand what the federation is. It’s important, it’s a peace-keeping armada.” Kirk, he says, could be an officer in four years and have his own ship in eight. “Are we done?” the youth shoots back. “I’m done,” says Pike, and tells Kirk where the shuttle for recruits is leaving. “Your father was captain of a starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives including your mother’s and yours. I dare you to do better.”

Cut to: Kirk on his motorbike driving to the shipyard where the Enterprise is being constructed (yes, on Earth).

Cut to: Kirk on his bike the next day arriving at the shuttledock. He throws the keys to his bike to an admiring tech and board the shuttle. Catching Pike’s eye he says “Four years? I’ll do it in three.”

CLIP 2

Empire said:
Abrams came back out to introduce the second clip, saying: “So Kirk joins Starfleet and immediately he’s there he gets in trouble. They all get assigned to ships but Kirk does not. However Bones finds out that a loophole where, if you’re treating a patient, the doctor’s allowed to bring the patient on board. So he injects Kirk to give him symptoms and make him look sick. This is the sequence where he first gets brought on board the Enterprise.”

Bones and Kirk come out of a turbolift and Kirk does not look at all good. They stagger into the medical bay, Kirk complaining all the way.

Cut to: The bridge where Captain Pike asks the “Russian whizkid” at the helm what his name is. It’s Ensign Chekov. Cue a comedy sequence where Chekov attempts to enter an authorization code into the computer, announcing “nine, five, wictor, wictor, two” in a perfect Walther Koenig exaggerated Russian accent and being denied. Chekov goes on to address the ship over the comm., stating that anomaly has been detected in the neutral zone, a lightning storm in space. A distress signal from the Vulcan (“wulcan”) high command has caused the Enterprise to go and investigate.

Cut to: Sick bay, Kirk hears the transmission and panics. “lightning storm?” He gets up but he’s had a reaction to the injection and his hands have swollen up. “Good God, man!” says Bones in a spot-on DeForest Kelley. Despite this, Kirk runs form the sick bay pursued by the anxious doctor. “We’re flying into a trap!” “Dammit, Jim, stand still!”. The pair run through the corridors before locating Uhura, who is more preoccupied with the size of Kirk’s swollen hands. As he tries to explain, his toungue goes numb, leading to much slurring and misunderstanding. While it sounds daft here, the comedy in the scene is pulled off well, showing that JJ has nailed the sense of humour he promised to bring to the film.

Cut to: the interior of Nero’s ship: dark, red and menacing. An officer reports: “Nero, seven federation ships are on their way.”

Cut to: Vulcan. A beam, emitted from Nero’s ship, bores into the planet’s surface. A lone figure looks out and survey’s the attack. It’s Winona Ryder as Spock’s mother.

Cut to: Exasperated, Kirk runs onto the bridge and shouts that they need to stop the ship as it’s a trap. “Vulcan is not experiencing a natural disaster, it’s being attacked by Romulans.” Pike all but has him dragged off the bridge and Spock’s instant animosity (it almost comes to blows between the two) indicates that, at this point at least, these two do not get on at all. Kirk ultimately breaks through though and explains that the same anomaly was spotted years before on the day of his birth, before a Romulan ship attacked the USS Kelvin. He goes on to say that the night before, 47 (yes forty seven!) Klingon Warbirds were destroyed by a single Romulan vessel. Uhura backs Kirk up and Pike gives the order: “shields up, red alert!”

The ship comes out of warp amid a sea of debris: there are broken hulls as far as the eye can see. This is what remains of the other ships sent on the ‘rescue mission’ To Vulcan.

CLIP 3

Empire said:
Abrams: “So, Kirk later pisses of Spock and gets marooned. He lands on this planet and ends up meeting the older Spock. The two of them go to meet another character. A character played by Simon Pegg.” Pegg then came up to introduce this clip amid much gushing over his part in the film.

Kirk, along with Nimoy’s Spock are walking through an engineering structure in winter gear with snow still clinging to their garments. They walk up to a small alien standing next to a human. It’s Scotty.

Pegg’s begins to complain in his Scottish accent (flawless to the extent that it’s infinitely more believable than James Doohan’s atrocious burr ever was). Nimoy raises a Spock eyebrow “fascinating. You’re Montgomery Scott.” It turns out that Scotty has been in exile down here since he experimented with transporter technology and dematerialised the admiral’s dog. Pegg is clearly the bulk of the comic relief in the film but pulls it off without being ridiculous or embarrassing, which is no mean feat given the character’s heritage. “The Enterprise? I’d like to get my hands on her ample nacelles, if you’ll pardon the engineering parlance.”

Spock and Kirk need to be beamed on board the Enterprise, it seems, while it’s still at warp – an impossibility, they’re told. “the notion of transwarp beaming is like trying to hit a bullet with a smaller bullet while wearing a blindfold, riding a horse.” Scotty, however, invented the technique, only his present self has yet to make the necessary discovery. Spock helpfully fills in the gaps by providing the future Scotty’s formula.

Spock reveals to Kirk that he won’t be going with him. “that is not my destiny.” He instructs Kirk to never tell the younger Spock of his existence and that Kirk must expose the younger Spock (currently in command of the Enterprise) as being emotionally compromised so that he can assume command of the ship.

Spock: “To stop Nero, you alone must take command of your ship.”
Kirk: “How? Over your dead body?”
Spock: “Preferably not.”
Kirk steps into the transporter along with Scotty.
Kirk: “coming back in time, changing history, it’s cheating.”
Spock: “A trick I learned from an old friend.”

As the computer begins to energise, Spock raises his hand in salute. “Live long and prosper.”

CLIP 4

Empire said:
Abrams: “The last scene is a scene earlier in the movie. The tether that comes down from Nero’s space ship drills into the planet and a bomb gets dropped into the planet to destroy it. This is a sequence where the good guys are space jumping down onto the drill to destroy it.”

Transporters are being jammed and so three crew members are instructed by Pike to jump from a shuttle and freefall to the platform. Kirk, Sulu and… Engineer Olsen are ordered to go. You can see where this is going, can’t you? Pike will pilot the shuttle and leaves Spock in command of the Enterprise, Kirk is shockingly promoted to first officer amid much protestation from the Vulcan.

Spock: “Captain, please, I apologise. The complexities of human pranks escape me.”
Pike: “It’s not a prank Spock, and I’m not the captain. You are.”

The three jumpers suit up in armoured suits before loading onto the chuttle.

Cut to: Bones amid a devastated sick bay, who is promoted to chief medical officer after his superior is killed in the attack.

Cut to: the shuttle.

Kirk to Engineer Olsen “You’ve got the charges?”
Olsen ( who is English): “Oh yeah, I can’t wait to kick some Roluman arse.” The man's even wearing a red shirt - you can all but hear his death approaching.

The shuttle departs and the three are jostled around in their seats.

Kirk to Sulu: “What kind of combat training do you have?”
Sulu: “Fencing.”

The three jump from the shuttle, being reminded that they can’t be beamed back until the drill is shut down. We see the three bodies free-falling through the atmosphere towards the platform, the huge drill arm flying past them as they plummet towards their destination. As they reach a certain height, Sulu and Kirk hit their chutes but Olsen decides to get in closer. He finally pulls the cord but it’s too late, he bounces off the platform, slides over the edge and is swung straight into the drilling beam and disintegrated.

Kirk hits the platform and nearly meets the same end before hitting a button on his harness. Instead of ejecting, the chute is sucked back into the pack on his back. Several Romulans emerge from hatches on the platform and a melee ensues, Kirk using his helmet as a makeshift bludgeon to keep them at bay.

Sulu is the next to land but his chute becomes caught and he can’t get free. He pulls out a steel handle, which extends into a katana blade. He cuts himself free and enters the fray. Far from the Sulu we remember, John Cho’s character is a fighter and lays into the Romulans, flourishing his blade and executing a series of kicks and somersaults.

Kirk isn’t faring so well and is hanging on to the edge of the platform while a Romulan tries to kick him off. Dispatching his own assailant by pushing him into a gout of flame, Sulu impales Kirk’s attacker and pulls him back onto the platform. That old bar room brawl has now definitively been put behind them.

Exclaiming that Olsen had the charges, Kirk picks up a discarded Romulan disruptor rifle and begins to unload it into the drill until the machine shudders to a standstill.

Cut to: Nero, seeing the drill has stopped, nevertheless orders the “red matter” dropped into the hole.

Cut to: The Enterprise. Chekov reports that nero is creating a singularity – a black hole – in the heart of Vulcan, which will destroy the planet. Spock jumps up and orders a planetwide evacuation before heading to the turbolift. The Vulcan council, including his parents, must be saved and Spock is going to get them.

Cut to: The platform, Sulu is swept over the edge and Kirk jumps after them. The Enterprise cannot lock onto the pair as they plummet towards the surface. On board the Enterprise, Chekov runs down to the transporter room and struggles to get a lock. Unsurprisingly he manages it with mere nanoseconds to spare, the pair dematerialising metres from the ground and appearing in a heap on the transporter room floor.

Sulu: “Thanks.”
Kirk: “No problem.”

http://www.empireonline.com/empireblog/Post.asp?id=313

I remain in the 'undecided' camp until I see some actual footage... but I don't know man.

I can see what he's doing with this and what he's going for and I'm not sure.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I will see this movie on day 1.

I don't care if it's getting panned or loved, DAY ONE!

Busty

Banned
teiresias said:
What, wheels stop working after the 21st century or something?

It's the suggestion of Kirk being a small town, motorbike riding bad boy brawler and riding past the Federation construction yard.

I'm getting a weird Top Gun vibe from it.

But in saying that....it's still too early to push the panic button people.

JoeMartin

teiresias said:
He should be riding a hoverboard past the construction yard.

An appreciation for "old tech," especially when it comes to vehicles, has been a consistent reoccurring theme across almost every trek series.

Kirk riding a motorcycle is not in any way a surprise.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Dax01 said:
Motorbike? What the fuck Abrams.

Honestly... you should only slap your forehead if later in the movie, in a pivotal moment, he slaps two wheels on some machine and rides it out in space to save people... the ol' my skills translate and I'll use them to save the world deus ex machina bullshit.

That's when you should be pissed off.

I think the motorbike sounds fine. It's a passing moment in the movie, not a big deal.

JoeMartin said:
An appreciation for "old tech," especially when it comes to vehicles, has been a consistent reoccurring theme across almost every trek series.

Right. Did everyone freak the fuck out when the TNG crew were on a boat? Granted it was the holodeck... but still. Hell, the Enterprise name comes from a boat.

Pimpwerx

What was the last good remake? And by good, I don't mean, "well...it didn't totally suck." You guys are the problem with Hollywood. This movie is a fucking disaster waiting to happen. You can pay for a good cast, but a good cast working with bad ideas will still result in a bad movie. This shouldn't be called Star Trek. This should have a new name instead of shitting on my memories. The well of creativity has apparently run dry, so they're pissing in buckets, and you guys are begging for more. Stop paying for this shit, and it might not be made anymore. PEACE.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Pimpwerx said:
What was the last good remake? And by good, I don't mean, "well...it didn't totally suck."

Dawn of the Dead. Next!

Some remakes are bad ideas, but if done tastefully and not a shot for shot remake, what's the problem?

Funky Papa said:
Pretty much. From the look of it trekkers are going to hate it with a passion, but I think I like what I read. Now I need a trailer.
And for good reason. This doesn't sound like the Trek I know.

critch

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
What was the last good remake? And by good, I don't mean, "well...it didn't totally suck." You guys are the problem with Hollywood. This movie is a fucking disaster waiting to happen. You can pay for a good cast, but a good cast working with bad ideas will still result in a bad movie. This shouldn't be called Star Trek. This should have a new name instead of shitting on my memories. The well of creativity has apparently run dry, so they're pissing in buckets, and you guys are begging for more. Stop paying for this shit, and it might not be made anymore. PEACE.

Oh please. Star Trek as a franchise has been moping along since Voyager. Insurrection and Nemesis were flops and Enterprise was cancelled. Just because it's something you don't think lives up to whatever pedestal you've put the franchise on doesn't mean it's from "Bad ideas". It's Romulans going back in time to kill Kirk and from the spoilers fuck up Vulcan while Spock comes back to save everything, and also show how everyone get together, in the backdrop of the largest budget ever assembled, and under the direction of someone who to the best of my knowledge has yet to make anything that wasn't quality.

Both James Bond and Batman were in need of starting over, and doing so made them relevant again. Star Trek has needed someone outside of Berman and Braga for 20 years to give a fresh look at it. I'm sorry if time has moved past Shatner and the rest, but I'm ready for something new in Trek, instead of the same old shit.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. This is why Star Trek fans are seen as such losers. You beg and beg for years for something like this, for the series to be shown respect, and finally when it's given big budget attention, you're not happy.

"Shitting on my memories." :lol Why don't you cry about Lucas raping your childhood next.

SonnyBoy

El_TigroX said:
Honestly... you should only slap your forehead if later in the movie, in a pivotal moment, he slaps two wheels on some machine and rides it out in space to save people...
:lol :lol

Yeah, I don't see the big deal. Will Smith had a bike in "iRobot". Hell, don't the guys on the Enterprise visit old times on the holo-deck.

I'm sure that people in that age will love old machinery.

SonnyBoy said:
:lol :lol

Yeah, I don't see the big deal. Will Smith had a bike in "iRobot". Hell, don't the guys on the Enterprise visit old times on the holo-deck.

I'm sure that people in that age will love old machinery.

Also, Kirk is clearly Hal Jordan in this movie.

Stench

Banned
Some of the scenes sound fantastic. Others are questionable.

The dialogue in the bar sequence is atrocious. "It must mean you've got a magic tongue"? Come on, what kind of shit is that.

But in contrast, the Bones/Kirk scene is awesome, so I don't know what to think. Hopefully the film is structured so that they get the bad-boy Kirk stuff out of the way and move on to the movie proper later on.

Ok, mostly sounds great, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. BUT, they better have a great explanation as to why all of those cadets and Pike are in Iowa of all places. :lol Star Fleet command is in San Francisco, and I can't imagine why the hell they'd be in Iowa, except to "accidently" bump into Kirk.

Stench

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Ok, mostly sounds great, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. BUT, they better have a great explanation as to why all of those cadets and Pike are in Iowa of all places. :lol Star Fleet command is in San Francisco, and I can't imagine why the hell they'd be in Iowa, except to "accidently" bump into Kirk.
It's way too convenient, isn't it.

Orci and Kurtzman scare me, to be honest. I hope that their objective was to maintain the sense of class found in Trek, instead of resorting to stupid sex jokes all the time.

Phoenix

I'm a Trek fan and I continue to observe news of this movie with cautious optimism. What Abrams is providing so far is very non-Trek, which is good if you're not making a Trek movie.

Personally I wish that they had dug up David Howard and Dean Parisot (Galaxy Quest). They did Trek more justice than anyone ever has in ages.

Pimpwerx

El_TigroX said:
Dawn of the Dead. Next!

Some remakes are bad ideas, but if done tastefully and not a shot for shot remake, what's the problem?
Dawn of the Dead and Herbie. Both B-movies. We've set the bar extremely low, I see. Next!

I'm only 30, but I watched almost every ep of the first two Star Treks. DS9 deviated from the actual "trek" part of the show, so I hated it. Voyager had "the voice" among other things like rampant time travelling bullshit. Enterprise was just a shit idea from the get go.

TOS and TNG were great IMO. They may not always be the best pieces of sci-fi, but they stood on their own as great pieces of entertainment. TOS had what, 6 movies? 6 movies with the most popular/famous cast probably in all of science fiction. WTF do we need new movies from that series for? It's been done, it's over. Shatner is, was and forever shall be Kirk. No one could hope to emerge from Nimoy's shadow in the role of Spock. Just...ugh...when you watch the glut of legacy-destroying shit coming down the pike, it becomes offensive to see something you actually once loved falling victim to the same, lame lack of ideas.

Star Trek, the franchise, has been on a steady decline since the last years of TNG. But it doesn't change the overall great impression those two shows left with me, to this day. If they want to make a new ST movie, they should either use the original cast and progress the storyline, or give it a new name/label/whatever. But I guess it's obvious the ST brand itself, can't draw flies to shit, unless you invoke the most sacred names. The characters that even Osama Bin Laden would have heard about in his cave. It's a cheap ploy to guarantee a box office floor for this movie. Afterall, there are a guaranteed minimum number of morons who'll see anything with ST in the title. It doesn't make it right, and it doesn't make it any less of a good idea. Like I said, good remakes (and reusing a long-retired cast of characters falls into that category for me) are rare, if non-existent. PEACE.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Pimpwerx said:
The characters that even Osama Bin Laden would have heard about in his cave. It's a cheap ploy to guarantee a box office floor for this movie.

I'm not for destroying memories either... but this statement is bizarre. I get what you're at... Kirk is legacy and iconic... but, if using the same characters is the worst thing to come out of this movie, then it will be good.

People remember Kirk... but sadly, a lot of people don't know Picard, and most certainly don't know any captain or series thereafter. This is a way to bring people back - it's a gamble, but it might work. I think you should at least wait until it comes out to say whether this is a good idea or a bad idea.

Pimpwerx

Tim the Wiz said:
Batman. Easier than snatching the hope diamond. Boom baby!
Touche. That was actually very good. Then again, except for the first one (Tim Burton) and the old-school one (for shark-repellant), all the others were fairly bad. I don't think most of the ST movies qualify as bad. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

El_TigroX said:
What the shit are you even talking about dude?

I'm not for destroying memories either... but this statement is bizarre. I get what you're at... Kirk is legacy and iconic... but, if using the same characters is the worst thing to come out of this movie, then it will be good.

People remember Kirk... but sadly, a lot of people don't know Picard, and most certainly don't know any captain or series thereafter. This is a way to bring people back - it's a gamble, but it might work. I think you should at least wait until it comes out to say whether this is a good idea or a bad idea.
Will Smith's kid could have starred in a random karate movie, and earn reviews on the merits of his performance and the story. Instead, they're gonna slap The Karate Kid on it, b/c the movie probably isn't good enough to sell on its own, and to help push his career forward. Are you ok with this creatively bankrupt approach to movie-making...nay, story-telling? Movies cost $10 a pop now. Is this the sort of shit the viewing public is willing to co-sign to? I stand by my outrage, I don't think it's misplaced at all. We're being sold the same old shit in a smelly wrapper, and some are actually supporting it. Bologna. This says that the people behind Star Trek can't make a good enough movie (or show) to sell on its own merits, so they're relying on the strength of the brand (in particular, it's marquee characters) to sell what is MOST LIKELY a substandard movie. PEACE.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Pimpwerx said:
Will Smith's kid could have starred in a random karate movie, and earn reviews on the merits of his performance and the story. Instead, they're gonna slap The Karate Kid on it, b/c the movie probably isn't good enough to sell on its own, and to help push his career forward. Are you ok with this creatively bankrupt approach to movie-making...nay, story-telling? Movies cost $10 a pop now. Is this the sort of shit the viewing public is willing to co-sign to? I stand by my outrage, I don't think it's misplaced at all. We're being sold the same old shit in a smelly wrapper, and some are actually supporting it. Bologna. This says that the people behind Star Trek can't make a good enough movie (or show) to sell on its own merits, so they're relying on the strength of the brand (in particular, it's marquee characters) to sell what is MOST LIKELY a substandard movie. PEACE.

The Karate Kid thing I can sign on to... but Hollywood keeps remaking movies, because, people LIKE the familiar... as crappy as that is, people like to see the same shit over and over and over again. I agree with you, but every now and then it works and something is resurrected, for good or for bad. You don't have to go... hell, I can't even remember the last time I rented or went to a movie that was remade.

You're assuming the people behind this Star Trek are the same people that have been with the franchise for a while, they're not. Trek went on a burnout man, there was too much of it and people got tired of it, you can't blame them. We had 1 series for 30 years (I'm estimating), then we had 4 series within 20 years, coupled with 10 movies and whatever else... no doubt people got a little tired of it. I would even say this movie is somewhat too soon... but it's at least worth a shot to get people interested in Trek again.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Busty said:
It's the suggestion of Kirk being a small town, motorbike riding bad boy brawler and riding past the Federation construction yard.

Obviously it should be Picard doing this. He did like to pick fights with Nausicans in his youth, so getting a hog would have been the next logical step. :p

critch said:
You beg and beg for years for something like this, for the series to be shown respect, and finally when it's given big budget attention, you're not happy.
This is Star Trek, not Straw Trek.
Pimpwerx said:
Afterall, there are a guaranteed minimum number of morons who'll see anything with ST in the title.
But considering how most Star Trek movies have performed, that's not a lot to bank on. Star Trek II actually made less money than The Motion Picture, but was considered the bigger success since it didn't use a giant budget, which made continuing the movie franchise viable.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i love three of the series pretty passionately--t.o.s., n.g., and d.s.9.--and i still think it sounds great. i don't see what's so horrible about what's here. there are some changes, to be sure, but i think what falls under the umbrella of "star trek" has been shown through the variety of the shows to be pretty broad.

bengraven

I don't like this Kirk so far. He just seems a bit too typical Rebel Without a Cause. This story sounds like a dozen rehashed B-movie sci fi films for the last decade.

Kirk doesn't have to be a cocky douchebag that everyone hates, then learns to love. He's supposed to be a normal guy with cocky tendencies. This Kirk sounds like a parody.

This sounds exactly like Casino Royale's Bond, but with less respect for the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom