• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Absolute worst music in a game?

HeeHo

Funny that I instantly thought of that XCX hub song. Aside from the "UH UH" and "I can't hear you/see you" bit, people are leaving out the beat box part that plays in between, lol, "BOW CHICKA BOW" I believe it's only during the day time it plays. I think it straddles the line between being so bad it's good and it being straight up bad. I think the part that really kills me is the repeating "I CANT HEAR YOU, I CANT SEE YOU" part.

Other than that, I like a lot of the music from the game so far and also reminded me that aside from a turd here or there, that I really like jRPG soundtracks when they get it right.

But I have mentioned this before, the winner goes to the person who mentioned Haud Village from Suikoden V. I believe someone in a previous thread mentioned it was intentionally bad but I don't think it disqualifies it, it's pretty bad and I couldn't wait to leave that village.

It's not the worst, but Disgaea 5's hub music is fine... until the vocals hit.

See here.

Actually it's the same as Xenoblade X's battle music in that regard - a decent tune but would be better without vocals. I'm generally against vocals and licensed music in games though, outside of stuff where it fits (like racing games etc).

dankir

Final boss music for lost odysee oh man it didn't suit the game at all. Not epic in any sense of the world was just terrible butt rock.

clem84

Gold Member
There was a thread like this posted a while ago and someone posted a track from a Gamegear game, but I don't remember the name. Was it taz mania something?

Anyway, by far the worst thing I've ever heard. Just random notes during the entire track. I could probably get in front of a keyboard, get lucky and do better.

Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BISQ1A4VFxg

Holy crap what happened there?

Despera

Banned
Except that it was on purpose.

Does it really count when the entire dev team designed that place to be horrible and put a very bad music in it ?
The dev tell you that it's horrible , Heck the characters in-game tell you that it's horrible.

Id say GOOD JOB to the team
I thought it fit well, but didn't know they intentionally made it so lol

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I play Xenoblade Chronicles X atm and...
UH YEAH YEAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_N7WgxEoI8

And this plays in the main hub of the game :D I really like most of the soundtrack but that one stands out for me.
So short, repetitive and horrible "lyrics" .

This is not by any means the worst I have ever heard but it's the most recent one that comes into my mind.

After hearing so much about the track, I finally listened thanks to the OP, and wait, I actually kind of like it? The opening is abrasive because of the focus on the stilted male vocals, but that guitar is really nice. Some of the early parts of the guitar remind me of Bastion's soundtrack. Once more sounds and vocals get layered in by the middle of the song and it's not just the "UH YEAH UH UH UH," I think it actually sounds really nice. I would listen to that middle part on repeat in the hub, but if the loop includes the beginning and end, I could see it get tiring. I'd look forward to that middle, though. The song is definitely memorable and has personality, which is nice.

This one song from Persona 4 Golden that tries to be a "scary" track but it's literally just the same,like,five notes looping endlessly. Incredibly annoying and almoat never fails to take me out of the moment.

edit: called "Who's There" ingame

dickroach

I actually like that XCX track. reminds me of Jet Grind Radio or something.

I'm thinking about some of those abominations in Yoshi's New Island. not going out of my way to actually look them up/listen to em, but I know they're already in this thread.

Bergerac

Unfortunately I think the video has been deleted since but the best Crazy Bus video was titled something like 'Crazy Bus theme with a new layer every second' LOL It was the definition of cacophony.

silva1991

I wouldn't say that XBX music is the worst , but it's obviously medioce and huge disappointment compared to Xenoblade Wii.

XBX's osts will not be mentioned in "best soundtracks" threads in the future.

it's really sad, becuae I loved the original game's music and I still listen to them to this day :(

BouncyFrag

The music when the guitar comes in on the Dragon's Dogma menu music makes my ears bleed. The vocals a few seconds later then want me to claw my eyes out.

True Fire

Ehhh, that's just how Hiroyuki Sawano flies, man. He did it with Kill la Kill too. Very cool OST overall.

I hate how people keep using "it's just how Sawano is" is to excuse the fact that he's a terrible composer and shat on Xenoblade 1's amazing score.

Top Bottom