• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Absolutely STUNNING images of Dubai's Skyline (and more).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downsides is alcohol is expensive and only in international hotels. There's some cultural things you just have to get used too. As well as understand of the local law.
Well, if he gets a liquor license, he can buy his own (although technically, you need a liquid license to even be allowed to drink, but...you know).
don't mind the haters. while the third world develops and sometimes exceeds the first world in infrastructure and development we're gonna see a lot of jealous negativity.
So then why are we seeing "jealous negativity" right now, then? (Unless you're talking about the quantity of development...and don't even get me started on "infrastructure".)

cvxfreak

I really enjoyed it though. One I went on took us to this little camp in the middle of the desert, all tented up, carpeted, pillows, amazing all you can eat char grill buffet, unlimited shisha, little stalls, fire places, tents, belly dancing etc. Such an awesome and relaxing atmosphere. Watching the sunset and relaxing to the entertainment. Food was great as well, just a meat feast full of grilled lamb, chicken, peppers, rice etc.

Including the desert safari, camp stop off and desert drive back, the whole thing lasted several hours (most of the day) and only cost us like £50 a head (including the food, shisha etc) which I thought was a bargain.

Same exact tour I was on then! The food was great. Paid $63 USD for it. That's practically like paying for a taxi and getting a free meal and tour on top of it.

nib95

Banned
Same exact tour I was on then! The food was great. Paid $63 USD for it. That's practically like paying for a taxi and getting a free meal and tour on top of it.

Sounds about right. I remember it being around £40-£50 in UK money. Imo you get a lot of bang for buck. Also, I went to the shipping docks one night just to get cool photo's etc (you see all the goods and supplies they bring in via containers, boats etc) and there was this guy with an old boat who gave us a long night time tour around the cities waters and charged us basically nothing. Like £3 or something silly (he was just a regular worker), so I just gave him considerably more and called it a day lol.

Lkr

i wish we had a city like this in america. they always rebuild the buildings in sim city, when can we spring up buildings here? :(

The whole city is a facade. It looks modern and grand on the outside, but on the inside women have limited rights there, and alcohol is roughly 10x more expensive on average than in the states. If you're impressed with Dubai based on their impressive buildings including the Burj Khalifa, then you may also believe Pyongyang North Korea is a paradise because of their massive hotel, the Ryugyong.

Ryugyeong_Hotel_on_February_20111.jpg

SiteSeer

The whole city is a facade. It looks modern and grand on the outside, but on the inside women have limited rights there, and alcohol is roughly 10x more expensive on average than in the states. If you're impressed with Dubai based on their impressive buildings including the Burj Khalifa, then you may also believe Pyongyang North Korea is a paradise because of their massive hotel, the Ryugyong.

it does not follow.

Nesotenso

yeah the comparison to North Korea of all places.......

nib95

Banned
but can they legally talk to you in public though?

So much ignorance up in here. Just go to Dubai...You'll find the majority of women are not only not wearing Hijabs etc, but many are wearing short shorts, tank tops or tight t-shirts etc. And yes, you can talk with girls etc as you would any other country. Just don't do anything too obscene, and if you do want to, save it for the clubs, your home, hotel or apartment lol.

yeah the comparison to North Korea of all places.......

My comparison was that they are both guilty of serious human rights infractions, from a 1st world standpoint, and yet both have impressive structures. Dubai has way more impressive structures of course, but the Ryugyong is the largest hotel in the world if I remember correctly.

Persona86

Banned
but can they legally talk to you in public though?

Yes, all within reason. No public kissing etc, basically nothing to attract unwanted attention. Here's a webpage I found on the subject lol.

http://uk.askmen.com/dating/curtsmith_500/554_dubai-girls.html
Rule No. 1: Be Discreet
Contrary to popular belief, women aren’t covered from head to toe and forced to live a sheltered life away from men. Dubai is bursting with nightclubs and bars where astoundingly attractive ladies of all nationalities congregate. And where hot women congregate, men will surely lurk.

The party scene is distinctly Western, with free-flowing alcohol and beach parties the norm to accommodate the 90% expatriate population. But you still need to keep your wits about you when engaging the local talent. Approaching and talking to women in nightclubs and bars is fine; you may even manage to steal a quick kiss before being accosted by one of the sweaty, incoherent bouncers. But whatever you do, don’t let your hands do the talking.

Yes and no. Wooing the fairer sex is fine, provided you adopt a subtle approach. But kissing in public or peeling off to indulge in some al fresco lovemaking will conjure a sh*tstorm the likes of which you have never seen. Couples caught in the act can expect a stint in the slammer and deportation, not to mention a lifetime of embarrassment after seeing their sordid tale splashed across newspapers back home.

Incarceration in a Dubai prison is no picnic; chances are you’ll be forced to fend off the advances of at least one burly cellmate looking for some hands-on fun. But even the threat of a dangerous liaison can suppress men’s sexual urges for only so long. Asking that they suppress them indefinitely is like asking Charlie Sheen to go easy on the booze and drugs.
Last quote is written over dramatic lol.

But basically it all about common sense, there are plenty of "loop holes", but if you fuck up, you FUCK UP haha.

So much ignorance up in here. Just go to Dubai...You'll find the majority of women are not only not wearing Hijabs etc, but many are wearing short shorts, tank tops or tight t-shirts etc. And yes, you can talk with girls etc as you would any other country. Just don't do anything too obscene, and if you do want to, save it for the clubs, your home, hotel or apartment lol.

this. and he's right about everything that follows the bolded. who runs their mouth about something they CLEARLY know NOTHING about?

Yes, all within reason. No public kissing etc, basically nothing to attract unwanted attention. Here's a webpage I found on the subject lol.
http://uk.askmen.com/dating/curtsmith_500/554_dubai-girls.html

Last quote is written over dramatic lol.

But basically it all about common sense, there are plenty of "loop holes", but if you fuck up, you FUCK UP haha.
If you aren't married, then the CID reserves the right to investigate/detain you depending on their mood and who you are. But yes, it's not worth doing anything physical (including holding hands) in public.

Cake Boss

Banned
my brother lives and works in dubai. He's been there 2 years. Is earning very well, has lots of attractive female co-workers.

His life took a big improvement since he did.

Downsides is alcohol is expensive and only in international hotels. There's some cultural things you just have to get used too. As well as understand of the local law.

But you can live entirely in a bubble there, never needing to learn the local language. Go to the hotel and pool from inside your own apartment. Grab drinks at the hotel/bar at the bottom of the apartment.

If you work there, chances are you're earning enough to also live in complete luxury. Taxi to work and home everyday is part of my brothers daily routine. As well as taxi's to anywhere he's going with his friends.

What does he do? contracting?

Zaptruder

Banned

Actually, it's more like a city of obscene decadence... but you just have to make sure the decadence occurs behind doors.

My comparison was that they are both guilty of serious human rights infractions, from a 1st world standpoint, and yet both have impressive structures. Dubai has way more impressive structures of course, but the Ryugyong is the largest hotel in the world if I remember correctly.

UAE doesn't hate Americans...

did u even study Dubai?

UAE law requires board members to have a woman
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/world/middleeast/uae-requires-women-board-members.html?_r=0

UAE women are considered the most ambitious business women globally
http://www.thenational.ae/business/.../working-women-in-uae-most-ambitious-globally

its not the best but its not the worst which you portray it

Nesotenso

Dubai, the UAE and the other gulf states have (had ?) long way to go when it comes to workers rights and treatment but there is no comparison to NK even if you go down the list of their infractions. The treatment of foreign laborers has to be lot better in the GCC countries but comparing the workers, who are much needed source of foreign currency and a need to their home economies through remittances, to brain washed army and citizen personnel in NK is a stretch.

People who are saying it's lifeless or soulless etc, likely have never been. You can pretty much do anything lol. Races, racing, Burj Khalifa, water fountains and fireworks, desert dune buggies and 4x4 sand racing, desert encampments with feasts and shisha, belly dancing etc, camel riding, taking yachts and boats around the rivers and sea, jet ski, water ski, underwater diving, water theme park and rides, theme park, beaches, private beaches and pools, every kind of sports, golf courses, shopping, more shopping, luxury hotels and malls, every kind of restaurant possible etc etc..

Can I drink?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

The amazing 87 windows hotel!

For those that been there, how are the chicas?

Preferably in your blind spot.

nib95

Banned
Can I drink?

Yeap. Lots of clubs and bars. Alcohol is expensive mind. And though my wife will read this and give me the dirty, yes...there are countless attractive women out there in Dubai. From all over the world really. It's an extremely diverse city.

Dubai, the UAE and the other gulf states have (had ?) long way to go when it comes to workers rights and treatment but there is no comparison to NK even if you go down the list of their infractions. The treatment of foreign laborers has to be lot better in the GCC countries but comparing the workers, who are much needed source of foreign currency and a need to their home economies through remittances, to brain washed army and citizen personnel in NK is a stretch.

I wasn't comparing human rights infractions. NK's are far worse in that regard. I just don't want anyone to look at Dubai and think, "Oh, what a beautiful modern city" and assume the lifestyle is just as "free" and modern as most 1st world countries. Dubai is holding themselves back still in those regards, and cases like the recent imprisonment of a female rape victim doesn't exactly help their cause.

I wasn't comparing human rights infractions. NK's are far worse in that regard. I just don't want anyone to look at Dubai and think, "Oh, what a beautiful modern city" and assume the lifestyle is just as "free" and modern as most 1st world countries. Dubai is holding themselves back still in those regards, and cases like the recent imprisonment of a female rape victim doesn't exactly help their cause.
You can find a whole city of such people reveling in such ignorance if you go there. (Well, not really.) But most people don't really care, unfortunately. People will always justify someone's exploitation if it benefits them.

Except the Ryugyong is an unfinished, deserted soviet era relic. Burj Khalifa is a luxury apartment high-rise.
By October 2012, Emaar reported that around 80% of the apartments were occupied.
It's interesting to see otherwise normal people become braindead zombies as soon as Dubai is mentioned.

The Op's photos are really nice. They look like something out of Mass effect.
Still, I would never want to visit.
Hearing about that Aussie woman who got jailed for a year because she was gang raped, made me mad.

Except the Ryugyong is an unfinished, deserted soviet era relic. Burj Khalifa is a luxury apartment

It's interesting to see otherwise normal people become braindead zombies as soon as Dubai is mentioned.

The Ryugyong Hotel is projected to be completed this year.

Also, I WANT Dubai to become westernized. It was built for Europeans and westerners as a touristic vacation destination, and they allow* non-muslim westerners to not abide by Muslim laws like other countries around the UAE. However, they still have a long way to go in that regard. Some of their leniency with foreigners only goes so far. When this shift occurs, I definitely want to visit the UAE one day.

bit of an understatement there don't you think

Considering most first world countries have roughly the same laws save for a few controlled substances and difference in punishment for said infractions, I can definitely understand why a foreigner wouldn't bother reading the laws of the UAE.

Agreed mate. Been a resident here almost 10 years and every time one of these threads come up there is just so much ignorance and misinformation. I cant be bothered any more because the majority of people in these threads havent been here yet still feel qualified to loudly voice their opinions as fact.

Those photos are beautiful and Dubai does have some great sights, however one thing it really lacks is natural beauty.

In terms of people saying its too expensive, its not. Go to the numbeo website and run some comparisons vs NYC/Sydney/Melbourne etc. there are expensive areas but i live in a pretty reasonably priced apartment complex.

Also people saying its not safe for women- again, check the numbeo website and look at the safety index - i believe its ranked 5 in the world. There is not much crime here so when something does happen the media picks it up and it gets blown out of proportion.

For people saying it lacks culture/soul - well the UAE is only 42 years old. Think of how much they have accomplished in such a small time.

I do like Dubai. Is it one of the great cities in the world? I dont think so. I think New York and Singapore are two amazing cities and hold that trophy. But there is a lot to like about Dubai and i feel that most people here are making judgements based on negative media and picked up tidbits of information from people who have never really been here.

If you aren't married, then the CID reserves the right to investigate/detain you depending on their mood and who you are. But yes, it's not worth doing anything physical (including holding hands) in public.

That's not true. Ive kissed GF's in public, hold hands all the time. No one does anything here. If you do something stupid, you can be charged. There are signs in malls saying no holding hands/kissing - but honestly no one enforces it unless you do something REALLY stupid like have sex on a beach in full view of everyone.

Also, to people saying they wont come because of a crime they heard of here - does that mean you wont visit another city because of a rape/murder?

Dubai is very safe. Its the safest city ive been to besides Singapore - i never have to worry about getting mugged/robbed or attacked. Not saying it doesnt happen, but like all cities, there are areas where it may not be safe to walk alone.

Anyone else love viewing cities from observation decks? Here's a video I took last summer up up on the shanghai world financial center (atm 2nd tallest observation deck in the world after canton tower).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DewsbgH2NKg

I don't get why people think shanghai has no soul... I think it might have too much soul lol. Weird mishmash of old and new and oriental and western.

Anyone else love viewing cities from observation decks? Here's a video I took last summer up up on the shanghai world financial center (atm 2nd tallest observation deck in the world after canton tower).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DewsbgH2NKg

I don't get why people think shanghai has no soul... I think it might have too much soul lol. Weird mishmash of old and new and oriental and western.

Who says Shanghai has no soul? its a beautiful city and the closest thing we have to Blade Runner.

too much salt in this thread, just accept that shit looks amazing and will continue to look amazing for the next 20 plus years..i know middle east is backwards but dubai itself is pretty progressive compared to other places

Did I just see a comparison of Dubai to North Korea?

So much misinformation in this thread. There's a lot to criticize about the Emirates, but people making Dubai out to be a wasteland need to realize that the Gulf nations are not all like Saudi Arabia. I'm happy there are actually folks here who live in Dubai to shut down ridiculous BS being spouted here.

I just respect what they've done in Dubai because I love densification and I hope we as a western civilization can adopt some of it's techniques to return a lot more land from suburbia to nature and agriculture, while creating beautiful cities.

The urbanism in Dubai is terrible. Tall towers do not a thriving city make. They are all set back from the street, often gated off, and have no ground floor retail. Just a taller suburbia.

The urbanism in Dubai is terrible. Tall towers do not a thriving city make. They are all set back from the street, often gated off, and have no ground floor retail. Just a taller suburbia.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Emirates Towers, Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Madinat Jumeirah, JW Marriot SZR - all these are easily accessible and have ground floor retail.

Why make points like this when they are clearly untrue?

numble

Depends on the package you get. There are a lot of American companies with branches there and they pay higher end American salaries + other benefits. Generally you should get 30 to 50% increase and then not pay taxes. In my sisters case her company pays for the kids schools, plane tickets home for the family twice a year I think, and some other random things. Also it's more laid back there from what she tells me. My dad used to work in Saudi when I was a kid. They paid for rent, car, tickets home, and education. So basically everything. If you can get a good deal, it can be pretty awesome.

One thing about Dubai is they're quite aware of the bad press and make strides to correct it. Most of you are going off of the negative Telegraph article from a few years back. Not saying problems don't exist, but many of them have been solved or improved. You won't really know until you visit yourself, but I meet people all the time who've been and loved it, many who are moving over there to live permanently.

It's actually not too expensive to live over there if you get a decent job (there's many for English speaking educated foreigners out there, high paid and tax free), provided you don't have little one's you need to put through education (international esque education can be very expensive). Rent is very high if your company doesn't comp it or you insist on staying in the more affluent or luxurious areas, but again, relative to the work and pay out there for specialist jobs. You could theoretically live out there for a few years and earn some good money (tax free) and just leave after a year or two.

Americans would not be getting paid tax free, which you may know, but I thought I should point out, since a majority of people on the forum are Americans. The IRS taxes any income you earn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom