• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Account compromised

Hi all was wondering if you could help my psn account has been hacked they have changed my email address i have tried contacting live chat on there site i wait 30 mins everytime then says no one available

i have tried calling them but support is only open mon-fri what is my options?Surely i dont have to wait till monday?

Kuranghi

How do we know this isn't the hacker speaking to us?!??

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH DANIEL YOU SICK PUPPY!

edit - Just thought I'd update the post, we know now that Danieljay1 is in fact okay and back in control of his account. We caught the hacker cause we backtraced it and cyber-police have been notified, the consequences will never be the same, etc.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Support is hit and miss. Some guy in here actually got help recovering the account, but some others haven't.

Can you block your card?

My bank contacted me i canceled it straight away i just want the account back its been my account for the last 10 years, i never normally leave card details on i just forgot to wipe ffs

so theres a possibility i wont get it back?

Lunarorbit

My bank contacted me i canceled it straight away i just want the account back its been my account for the last 10 years, i never normally leave card details on i just forgot to wipe ffs

so theres a possibility i wont get it back?
I think you can get it back. Maybe send an email if you can't talk to anyone on the phone about it. Definitely set up 2 factor authentication, ps makes it easy for you to do that

Entroyp

Whats 2fa?

2 factor Authentication, or multi factor authentication. You can configure it on security settings once you recover your account.

Whenever you (or a malicious entity) log in you will get an SMS on your mobile with a code to authorize the log in attempt. You can also use an authenticator app like okta or google authenticator.

Dargor

Yeah, pray for the gods, cuz sony's cs is trash.

If you dont have all the data they want, obscure stuff like the serial number of the ps3 you made your account on, tough luck.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This really is not sounding great thing im worried is how can i prove its my account?
If you've purchased content digitally the email receipts should have your online id and an order number. If you have your real name on the account it should have that on the receipt as well alongside your PSN id.

Spokker

My bank contacted me i canceled it straight away i just want the account back
Your account is going to be banned for doing the chargeback. Even if you get the account back, your account may be held hostage (banned) until you pay the debt the other guy incurred.

It's an industry wide practice and will be another headache for you. In the future, use two factor authentication and a stronger password.

Last edited:

Portman

Something you may want to look into once this has been resolved is a password manager. Those give you a way to generate a unique password for each service (such as PSN, Xbox Live, GAF, etc.) and it keeps up with the passwords behind a single master password. This prevents the chance of a reused password from a compromised account causing further issues.

Something like that combined with 2 factor authentication (2FA) can help prevent something like this for occurring again.

Your account is going to be banned for doing the chargeback. Even if you get the account back, your account may be held hostage (banned) until you pay the debt the other guy incurred.

It's an industry wide practice and will be another headache for you. In the future, use two factor authentication and a stronger password.
I hope this is not the case

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mine got hacked before 2FA. I didn't have payment stored and never bought anything digitally at that time so the hacker was probably pissed after. Support was able to help me set everything back.

Mine got hacked before 2FA. I didn't have payment stored and never bought anything digitally at that time so the hacker was probably pissed after. Support was able to help me set everything back.
I was out and i got a text from my bank about payments then email to say my email had been changed i was like wtf

Dunno how they guessed my password as its personal to me they must have software to hack or something
A famous way of hacking is basically copying over your browser session files to their server. You may have opened an app or clicked on a link and it ran a script which uploaded contents of a certain folder to the attacker's server. It can also be that you used your PSN password as password on some other website aswell which was compromised due to a data breach. Anyway, for now, tweet like hell but be coherent and respectful; this is the best way of getting a quick response. And keep trying the live chat. Send email as well.

I dont click links or anything as i know there scams i am currently on the phone to them just waiting for them to answer

Kamina

Golden Boy
Account back safe and sound thanks everyone
And now go and activate 2FA before we slap you with a raw fish

giphy.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
This happened to me a year ago

I ended up having to change the primary email address, which did the trick. Every time I reset the password at my main email the bastard would find out because he had access.

This did the trick thankfully. It was not easy getting help on the phone tho. Good luck!

Top Bottom