• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Account compromised

timmyp53

Always have 2FA on your email addresses and any application or product that uses financial information.

Your login data was likely compromised from another site which got owned in which you share the same credentials on.
Good to hear that you got your account back. So what happened with those refunds?

Reactions: MrS

waxer

Damn was hopping for paid for ps collection ending and maybe a bricked ps5 via wine coo... Sub woofer.

Kadayi

Banned
Honestly D Danieljay1 , in conjunction with the 2FA I strongly recommend getting a password manager and ensuring all your passwords are unique across all of your sites, logins and devices (most password managers can generate randomised complex passwords for you)

The problem with using personal passwords is that people tend to recycle/reuse them for multiple sites, and what happens is if a site gets compromised the hackers will essentially run your login credentials through thousands of sites until they get a hit in a matter of minutes using bots.

Personally, I use Lastpass (have for around 5 years now). I have one unique password that I use solely to log into that (which is also linked to my fingerprint via my phone) and all my logins to anything else are randomly generated.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Put your email in here and see if you’ve been in any data breach: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

you’re not suppose to use anything that attaches itself to you as a person. That includes pet names and rearrangement of pets names.

You might have been part of a brute force attack. They are pretty common. I’ve seen the logs. They are typically from a VPN and you’ll see the account get attempts from China, New Zealand, Mexico, and places in the USA. Without two factor they’re basically throwing random passwords at your account each second and once they’re in, they're in.

You might want to put two factor on all your accounts and start changing your password to your other accounts. I work in IT and see this all the time. I saw one where they sent a very serious virus to 500 people in their contacts and all these reply back “I can’t open this because it doesn’t do anything when I double click it”. Cyber security insurance is a big thing now a days.

Spokker

Haha thats alright mate can take banter i Sorted it out as soon as i got back in
You still aren't out of the woods yet. When did your bank contact you and take the charge off? Did you talk to the Sony representative about the fact that your bank contacted you and they took the charge off? What was actually discussed with the representative?

It takes time for these things to go through and it's the weekend. Hopefully next week your account doesn't get banned now that you have it back.

nowhat

Hi all was wondering if you could help my psn account has been hacked they have changed my email address i have tried contacting live chat on there site i wait 30 mins everytime then says no one available

i have tried calling them but support is only open mon-fri what is my options?Surely i dont have to wait till monday?
2FA. 2FA. I cannot repeat this enough, but.

2FA.

Also check out https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Chances are, you reused the same password. Which, frankly, makes you the fool.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Whats 2fa?
It's another password for your password, basically.

The whole username and password system is so broken that we need another password to protect the account.

I am waiting for the next layer of protection on top of these two layers.

Last edited:
You still aren't out of the woods yet. When did your bank contact you and take the charge off? Did you talk to the Sony representative about the fact that your bank contacted you and they took the charge off? What was actually discussed with the representative?

It takes time for these things to go through and it's the weekend. Hopefully next week your account doesn't get banned now that you have it back.
Tbh they didnt really say much about it.. they didnt get a chance to download i dont think they literally canceled it before payment got took as its pending still ive played online since

my bank said about them paying me back and they claim it off sony i think will have to see it iget problems will just have to phone they back

the_master

Hi all was wondering if you could help my psn account has been hacked they have changed my email address i have tried contacting live chat on there site i wait 30 mins everytime then says no one available

i have tried calling them but support is only open mon-fri what is my options?Surely i dont have to wait till monday?
It happened to me not long ago.
I had to wait till Monday but then they fixed it super fast.
If you have a credit card you have used to buy something, rhen it is straight forward.

Kataploom

Gold Member
#1 rule, use two factor authentication on everything

I wish that was an option for me, I've had more problems than I feel it solved a problem with it.

I'd be ok if they'd let just use a secondary email account for that instead of phone, since it can be stolen, damaged, etc.

NinjaBoiX

I wish that was an option for me, I've had more problems than I feel it solved a problem with it.

I'd be ok if they'd let just use a secondary email account for that instead of phone, since it can be stolen, damaged, etc.
If my phone got stolen or damaged, access to my PSN account would be the last of my concerns.

Top Bottom