• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Trilogy comes to PC, Xbox, PS4, and Switch for the first time! Digital preorders available (launches April 9th.)

Hinedorf

Banned
I had only played one Phoenix Wright game on the 3DS so I knew what to expect. Awesome value for 30$, I got it on my Switch.

You'd have to pay me 10$ to want to play a game on my cellphone, to each their own.

Last edited:
lol
Put on, eh? Alright, champ.

Yeah, I don't think you actually can't understand why someone would consider it overpriced. It comes off as feigning incredulity to make the position seem ridiculous when it isn't. Now you're literally asking questions like "why do games fall in price as they get older?" Which you seem to transition in and out of understanding throughout your post. Yet you didn't even touch the aspect of the fan base already owning these games several times over. That's gonna make yet another re-release, however many years later, worth less money to certain people. Especially someone like me who has no problem turning on my Wii, DS or Tablet to play these games. Someone who prefers the pixel art anyway, which the community is split on as well.

So yeah you should be able to understand why I don't think 30 dollars is worth it. The same way I said I could understand why you think it would be.

Paltheos

Yeah, I don't think you actually can't understand why someone would consider it overpriced. It comes off as feigning incredulity to make the position seem ridiculous when it isn't. Now you're literally asking questions like "why do games fall in price as they get older?" Which you seem to transition in and out of understanding throughout your post. Yet you didn't even touch the aspect of the fan base already owning these games several times over. That's gonna make yet another re-release, however many years later, worth less money to certain people. Especially someone like me who has no problem turning on my Wii, DS or Tablet to play these games. Someone who prefers the pixel art anyway, which the community is split on as well.

So yeah you should be able to understand why I don't think 30 dollars is worth it. The same way I said I could understand why you think it would be.

Nah, I'm not transitioning in and out of understanding (I'll say that outright to be clear). I'm understanding some of the concerns that people have while arguing against the position that some (many?) have taken because I believe it's rooted in a cognitive dissonance. I'd bolded the most important point too although that whole paragraph explains the discrepancy. You only quoted my smart-allecky shit, so I'll post the entire thing again since this is a new page.

People already owning the game... isn't really that relevant. ... Why would it be? Why should the seller cut the price to incentivize someone who already owns the game to buy it again? Is that really a *primary* motivator in price-setting, or do such people only make up a small slice of potential buyers? More important than that though is the question of value. My argument is that the expectation on cut prices is disproportionately, comically large compared to the attributed value placed on the experiences. As a consumer I'm glad I live in such a timeline and I take advantage of it whenever I can but I don't think it's fair to sellers.

lol

Put on, eh? Alright, champ.

This is what bites me. Why does the price drop if it's old? Because technique has improved since then, rendering a previous cutting edge experience not quite so sharp? Because there's value to be had in experiencing something at the same time as everyone else? Even accounting for these the discrepancy between starting price and the present is too wide. I'll take one example here but I think anyone who's familiar with Steam sales, who's hunted for games that they've wanted to buy can relate to the experience. I'm looking at the Witcher 3 right now. The base game is selling for $12, and the GOTY whatever edition with all the DLC for $15. From everything I've heard online and from my friends about this game, I have a tough time believing that even for just a 4 year old game that the experience you're getting out of equates in value to the money you paid for it.

I really could be wrong about this of course, but I haven't been convinced by an explanations I've seen. Many older games popular in gaming circles are praised as worth your time without establishing any distinction as to whether or not the experiences these games offer are more valuable than current games', which leads me to believe that to most people a good, older game offers similar if maybe slightly diminished value to a current one (varying obviously case-by-case on how roughly time has taken its toll). I'd like to be clear on one point in particular: Here when I'm talking about value I'm talking about the whole package, time and money, and that in general I believe there's a dissonance in many gamers' minds that older games should be significantly cheaper from their original MSRP when the value attributed to them in discussions appears higher.

In light of that, I don't understand so much of the criticism at ported or remastered games coming back at a slightly reduced price. In Phoenix Wright's case, we're looking at... what? A drop from 40 to 10 dollars (were DS games 40? even if 30 I think around those MSRPs was fair for what I got out of it) These games are as old as dirt and aren't as flashy and technically ambitious as even Danganronpa, relatively, but they're valued foremost for their plots, characters, and humor. You're gonna have a tough time selling to me the value they offer is so low that $10 per title is not worth your money.

I could understand you personally taking issue with the packaging, in particular if you're unfamiliar with the franchise. $30 on an old unknown is a big ask. Maybe you won't like it at all or maybe the rough edges bother you enough to turn you off. As someone looking back fondly at it though, I can't understand you feeling they're fantastic but not worth $10 a piece. But I'm close to putting words in your mouth here because you only objected to $30 for the package, but I wanted to draw attention to that as a fan you should be aware that it's $10 per game.

BruceCM

I somehow missed the series before, so I'm really happy to have the trilogy on my Switch.... Only completed 1st so far, due to other games but will definitely be playing the other 2 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom