• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACG: Why do some creators get Horizon Zero Dawn review copies and other's don't?

Mezoly

Thanks gents.
I was just getting slammed with requests for data.
It was nice to have some industry folks pop in right after I posted it and basically say "Yep"
lol.

Some of the greatest folks I know are a couple smaller reviewers from here, or Cosmic or Dreamcastguy and so forth. I know the BIGGER folks will be getting copies always. But sometimes one of these new channels getting a bone thrown to them is amazing.

I will be doing so!

Awesome, love your reviews. I only discovered your channel 6 months ago and have been enjoying all your reviews since. I even went back to old reviews and watched them. Music and sound design are important to me and seemed to be glossed over by many reviewers.

renzolama

Didn't finish watching all of it, but from what I watched so far I did find interesting.

Because they are creators, their reviews and videos didn't magically appear out of thin air.

Edit: Nevermind, my gripes aren't relevant to the discussion in this thread so I'm not adding any value by derailing it.

Karak

Awesome, love your reviews. I only discovered your channel 6 months ago and have been enjoying all your reviews since. I even went back to old reviews and watched them. Music and sound design are important to me and seemed to be glossed over by many reviewers.

Thanks sir. Pretty much the main reasons I got into reviewing.

Permanently A

METAL GEAR SOLID 6: THE SIXENING

Man, you're really good on the camera. Can't believe that was entirely one take. Really a talent to not have to stop for a bit and mull over your thoughts, especially given the breadth of topics you covered. Also respect for not asking for subscribing and inviting people to thumb down. You got my sub.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's interesting how this issue seems to vary from company to company. With Bethesda, their stated policy notes that they will no longer provide early review copies but that isn't actually true. They DO provide early copies for many YouTubers but not the standard games media. Not everyone, of course, but they target YouTube folks first.

I'm surprised more people did not get Horizon, though, as it is reviewing so well.

Dmax3901

Really enjoyed this and it rings true, even with my limited experience in Australia.

I've been writing reviews for a couple of years now, just on a website no videos, but recently I've been thinking about starting up a youtube channel. It's a matter of getting a good mic and game capture gear, but I'm also a little concerned about how to transition from writing for someone else's website, to my own youtube channel. Progress Bar gets sent review copies, but my youtube channel (currently with 6 subs) is unlikely to.

Jimrpg

Karak is awesome. Great video. I'm shocked that people seem to think they deserve codes for every game. There's probably hundreds if not thousands of people asking PR for codes, and I doubt they provide them to everyone.

I reviewed movies for a while, and I did not get invites to every movie.

RexNovis

Banned
Love it when Karak goes into detail about this type of stuff. Every GAF member should be watching this man's channel.

I've tried I really have but I just can't handle the speed and tone of his cadence at all. No disrespect to him he puts out great content I just can't personally consume it.

A good, informative video that I did not expect, having read the headline.

A great look into how the PR game is played with publishers when you're a blogger or YouTuber.

Karak

It's interesting how this issue seems to vary from company to company. With Bethesda, their stated policy notes that they will no longer provide early review copies but that isn't actually true. They DO provide early copies for many YouTubers but not the standard games media. Not everyone, of course, but they target YouTube folks first.

I'm surprised more people did not get Horizon, though, as it is reviewing so well.

Ya. There are a number of companies I am dealing with and as I said in the video. They have VERY unique ways they handle everything lol

64bitbros

I love this channel. His reviews are great and actually very informative. There is never any bias or clickbait mentality. He is very fair.

ISee

Very surprised about bigger YouTubers like Karak not getting a review copy tbh, maybe Sony wasn't very confident about the game and thought that acg would give it a lower score...

But honestly does it really matter once a YouTuber reaches a certain popularity point? At least the subscribers/fans will watch the review anyway. Sure ACG isn't the biggest channel out there so extra growth due to early copies is for sure a possibility. I'm more talking about bigger channels like AngryJoe, I don't think he even needs early copies any more and reached a certain point of saturation. But maybe I'm bit blue eyed here, no idea.

Anyway. Keep up the good work Karak, I don't always agree with 100% everything you say in your reviews, but in general they give me good feedback and are a reliable source of information without too much bullcrap. ;)

this guy's pretty chill so consider a new sub from me.

i like chill guys like him and HappyConsolegamer.....watching their videos makes me love video games...

and then there are guys like AlphaOmegaSin & MaxDood that makes me hate the youtube games channel community.....where they expect all game companies to cater to them 100% of the time.

AlphaOmegaSin/MaxDood: "Fark...why company X release game X and not Game Y, a franchise that i want? Screw them!!! $%#%#$#"

HappyConsoleGamer: "Man...i wish Company X will release Game Y soon...but eh..i will try game X too, why not?"

you see the difference?

Yu Narukami

Karak I realky like your videos, you have such a calm voice. I only have a tiny complaint. You talk sometimes too fast and I have difficulties to follow because English isn't my first language. Or maybe I'm not used to hearing the language in general.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Never heard of this guy. Subscribed now.

Really informative and enjoyable video.

I'm writing for a gaming website right now, and requests are handled by different people. I never communicate with PR. On one hand, I'm cool with that, because most of the time I'd rather just focus on playing and writing. On the other hand, I hardly ever get any word about what PR thinks of my reviews.

The one time a comment was sent my way, it was something to the effect of "You're one of the few that actually reviewed the game. We're really happy about that." I wish they had a bit more to say, but whatever.

Also, this is just IMO, but "big game" reviews usually don't work out for me. Earlier this year, I reviewed Nioh and Gravity Rush 2. The hits have been...kinda mediocre. I've gotten better numbers from smaller games like Shantae: Half Genie Hero and Blue Revolver. Thing is, everyone is covering the big titles, so sometimes it's worth pursuing something different.

alt27

I doscovered this channel about 3 months ago and glad i did. Very informative in depth reviews and the guy is very likeable. KInda wish he would give a score over his buy, rent etc rating but thats just a very minor gripe which doesnt effect my enjoyment.

Theorry

10.000 views for this thread and only 75 comments. Guess alot of people came in ready with the pitchforks probably and then read the OP. :p

Peterthumpa

Excellent reviews, undoubtedly. I do still think that you should slow down a little bit, sometimes you remind me of a Zero Punctuation review taken seriously. 😛

danowat

Banned
Interesting video, I'll be honest, it's pretty much as I guessed it would be, but anyway.....

Just a random question I had pop into my head whilst watching this.............

Do people / would people (especially those who don't particularly give that much credence to reviews), give more credence to reviews from people who brought the game vs those that got it as a review copy from the publisher?

Sanctuary

The best reviewer on the internet and more importantly, one of the nicest too. :)

Kevin VanOrd was my favorite video reviewer while still at Gamespot. When he left, I wasn't sure anyone was going to be able to replace him (anywhere). While not exactly the same, ACG is just as good in his own, different way.

Thank you for bringing this channel to my attention OP, watched his Ni-OH review last night as well and really like the format of breaking down each game in sections and getting more technically into the game.

Video was really interesting into how game companies are trying to adapt to the changing landscapes.

Kareha

Interesting video, I'll be honest, it's pretty much as I guessed it would be, but anyway.....

Just a random question I had pop into my head whilst watching this.............

Do people / would people (especially those who don't particularly give that much credence to reviews), give more credence to reviews from people who brought the game vs those that got it as a review copy from the publisher?

I err more on the side of the person who's bought the game with their own money then reviewed it

Ya. There are a number of companies I am dealing with and as I said in the video. They have VERY unique ways they handle everything lol

Can't wait for your review of Horizon!
Also, I'm reading all of your posts here with your awesome voice in my head.

Twookie

damn op, thanks for introducing me to this dude. after watching this video I checked out some of his review vids, dude's awesome!

martino

this is not how this must work for profesional press (even if i know it's sadly how it works)
if you are a professional with a journalist licence , you should be granted access to medium to do your job even if the outcome don't please people owning the medium.

it's also why for video games you can put more faith on video games review made from commercial copies.

Karak

Its going to be interesting because I am interview Michael Mendheim who is the original cocreator and now recreating Mutant League Football today.
He has a ton of industry under his belt. Dude worked on the original Genesis game lol. Its going to be interesting to discuss stuff like this with him and how its changed for him from print media to YT and Twitch.

Karak

The way I see it...

If a company doesn't dish out a copy for Karak, they have something to hide.

;)

LOL. Nah you know how it is. It can be various reason.
But I do have copies and played yesterday and most of last night.

I just realised he's the only reviewer I watch/follow on YouTube. I follow Giantbomb and Jim Sterling as well but not for their reviews.

I think it's because he values good sound design more than most which is a big thing for me, I.e the Dishonoured 2 review highlighting some pretty bad sound design which I guess no one really mentioned but him?
Same I don't always agree with his tastes, but his reviews are excellent.

GLAMr

Great video. This topic makes me feel bad for PR/marketing people... They must get inundated with emails from millions of teenage PewDiePie-wannabes demanding review copies for their BEST CHANNEL EVAR (with 3 sunscribers). I find it annoying when reviewers chuck a hissy fit over not receiving review copies of software or hardware.

I really liked how humble the dude is about it all, and how its all done in one take. It makes the experience feel far more authentic and professional. 10/10 would watch this guy's reviews in future.

Kodros

Are you suggesting that creators of content such as reviews and critiques aren't content creators? That's rich.

Everybody every day creates things. There's thousands of radio and TV personalities that do shows everyday and they don't call themselves creators. Labeling yourself as a "creator" is super cringey.

srbond

Neo Member
Thanks gents.
I was just getting slammed with requests for data.
It was nice to have some industry folks pop in right after I posted it and basically say "Yep"
lol.

Some of the greatest folks I know are a couple smaller reviewers from here, or Cosmic or Dreamcastguy and so forth. I know the BIGGER folks will be getting copies always. But sometimes one of these new channels getting a bone thrown to them is amazing.

I will be doing so!

Excellent youtuber, i didn't know your channel but now im subscribed.

Keep up that great content bro.

Karak

Everybody every day creates things. There's thousands of radio and TV personalities that do shows everyday and they don't call themselves creators. Labeling yourself as a "creator" is super cringey.

Probably should get accustomed to it as its the industry that does this not those on youtube. Its not magically like a person comes up with a title and then somehow everyone instantly knows it. That is literally what companies label influencers, creators, video based entities. I even have a video about just this as I hate influencer or creator but I won't pretend that its not one of the labels.

Case in point. Email from this morning.

"Hi creators!"
From one of the most prominent developers in the world.

Theorry

You know thats like a official title right?

Top Bottom