• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Don't buy a PlayStation — Save money on the PC versions of Marvel's Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, and others instead

gokurho

While PlayStation long required any prospective players of its games to pick up a new console, those days are over...well, kind of. Since 2020, PlayStation has been more regularly putting games on Windows PC. If you've been holding out for some good deals before grabbing them, you can take advantage of some major discounts on Amazon for almost every PlayStation game that has a PC version, with up to 76% off some titles!
Why grab PlayStation games on PC?

It used to be that if you wanted to enjoy a PlayStation exclusive game, you needed to buy the latest console. That's not the case anymore, with a growing list of PlayStation Studios games on Windows PC that keeps on getting bigger. PlayStation has even invested to make these ports better, acquiring Dutch studio Nixxes to deliver masterclass PC ports.

Single-player PlayStation will usually not arrive day one on PC, so there is a downside to waiting. Naturally, if what you care about is just playing games as fast as possible, then you should definitely go ahead and buy a PlayStation 5. If you already have a gaming PC and you're okay waiting a year or two for games to be ported, you really don't have to buy a PlayStation 5!

That's not to say that every port is perfect. On the contrary, the PC version of The Last of Us was a terrible port at launch, and only through consistent patches has it become somewhat okay. That's the exception though, hardly the rule.

In general, this approach allows you to save money, as you often won't be paying full price for a game, and it will usually include all of the DLC or expansions, as is the case with Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition and Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered.
And Buy Xbox 🙅‍♂️ 💍🙆‍♂️

germans-storm-stores-for-playstation-4-and-leave-xbox-one-sad-and-lonely

Zathalus

Who doesn't want to go broke on hardware that doesn't fully get utilized, so you have to look for sales on already cheap games?
You shouldn't go broke on your PC hardware. Buy within your means, that's the advantage of PC it scales from near console prices to whatever madness you can afford. You can then either buy full priced games on Steam or be frugal and shop on gg.deals.

If you can afford console gaming you can almost certainly afford PC gaming.

Killjoy-NL

You shouldn't go broke on your PC hardware. Buy within your means, that's the advantage of PC it scales from near console prices to whatever madness you can afford. You can then either buy full priced games on Steam or be frugal and shop on gg.deals.

If you can afford console gaming you can almost certainly afford PC gaming.
I know, I was just joking.

I don't think one is necessarily more expensive than the other, tbh.

Zathalus

I know, I was just joking.

I don't think one is necessarily more expensive than the other, tbh.
Fair. Although I would say if you want a really awesome experience PC has higher upfront costs but long term costs (game prices and no online costs) can be cheaper. But I suppose it depends on what the person wants, some people might be perfectly content with a Steam Deck.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Funny how this is probably the first article I read from them that does not have even one mention of Xbox. And even if I will laugh about it, it is maybe the firsy time that they did that for Playstation. Maybe in the future we will be able to see more offers in their site? They need to think of the future after all!

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Some games I don't feel like waiting for the PC port. GOW Ragnarok, FF16, and if Stellar Blade can hit a locked 60 at 1440p then I won't wait for that neither. I'm certain Sony will stagger the PC release of Stellar Blade.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Save money on the PC versions of Marvel's Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, and others instead
Actually, that's what I'll be doing with everything 1st party and which is not 3rd party time exclusives, cuz at this point and in my eyes, it's absolutely pointless to buy 1st party game on PS5 and then re-buy it on PC for the same fuckin' price 2 years later and you can't even sell PS5 version later at the good price. So yeah, fuck that. The only thing 1st party I'll buy day 1 for PS5 will be TLOUIII, Horizon III and that'll be the end of it, unless they'll stop porting games to PC.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That’s what Sony gets for small ez money. It’s short term money with long term diminishing of brand.
I’ve heard from plenty of pc gamers that they will wait for forbidden west and ragnarok to hit a pc. Why buy ps5.
So these games will hit the pc and they will pirate or buy on sale.

Actually, that's what I'll be doing with everything 1st party and which is not 3rd party time exclusives, cuz at this point and in my eyes, it's absolutely pointless to buy 1st party game on PS5 and then re-buy it on PC for the same fuckin' price 2 years later and you can't even sell PS5 version later at the good price.

> Buy 1st party PlayStation SP game at launch.
> Platinum it asap (most of them are easy unlike Japanese exclusives like Bloodborne or Gran Turismo)
> Sell it close to MSRP you bought it for.
> Bonus points to you for getting to know local mom & pop retailers personally enough for them to give you a 10% discount on new games. Most of'em will give you if you ask them. Sites like Amazon/best buy do this too for digital and physical copies at launch. YMMV.
> Buy PC version 2/3 years later when it launches for your library.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
> Platinum it asap (most of them are easy unlike Japanese exclusives like Bloodborne or Gran Turismo)
> Bonus points to you for getting to know local mom & pop retailers personally enough for them to give you a 10% discount on new games. Most of'em will give you if you ask them. Sites like Amazon/best buy do this too for digital and physical copies at launch. YMMV.

You don't even have to rush. I kept my The Last of Us Part 1 copy until recently (got it on release), sold it for 35 EUR and got the PC version for ~26 EUR on a key site.

PlayStation games on PC are cheaper than on console.

I'm fine with my PS5 + Switch combo and I'd rather get a Steam Deck OLED or the Deck 2.0 whenever that gets released instead of getting a new Xbox (still have my One X hooked up to my TV for playing BC titles) which I wouldn't be using that much anyway.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
uhhhh I assumed most PC gamers are like me and aren't interested in these titles no matter WHAT platform they are on

A bunch of those titles came to PC and other than days gone I haven't gone anywhere near them because I don't give a shit about spiderman, horizon, last of us ect.
I don't care if they were playstation exclusives or xbox or neo geo exclusive those games don't mean shit to me

Actually really caring about these titles and not buying a playstation seems like some fanboy shit

Xyphie

They are not wrong. As a primarily PC gamer I see absolutely no reason to buy a PS platform ever again just to play 1 or 2 Sony AAA SP releases a year early and then have it collect dust 50 weeks of the year.

Last edited:

FrankWza

You don't even have to rush. I kept my The Last of Us Part 1 copy until recently (got it on release), sold it for 35 EUR and got the PC version for ~26 EUR on a key site.

PlayStation games on PC are cheaper than on console.
That's a LOT of work for a master.

One guy is running all over town making friends and the other one is doing his taxes
Useless Old Timey Baseball GIF by Team Coco

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That’s what Sony gets for small ez money. It’s short term money with long term diminishing of brand.
I’ve heard from plenty of pc gamers that they will wait for forbidden west and ragnarok to hit a pc. Why buy ps5.
So these games will hit the pc and they will pirate or buy on sale.
Ah yes, Sony damaged their brand so much that they can hardly keep PS5 in stock and their exclusives such as GOWR, HFW, and Spider-Man 2 are outselling their predecessors.

The PC gamers you heard from didn't care all that much about PS5 games to begin with and it's unlikely they would have shelled out $500 to play games they're willing to wait 2-3 years to play. People who really want these games buy them as soon as they can or within the year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom