• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action rpg's always feel like a shitty "insert genre here" game

RockmanWhore said:
FFXII has a better camera, so it's a better action game than Ninja Gaiden, but not as good as Madden :(
No because the animations suck. Also the shooting mechanics suck. Gears is much better. And why can't I just jump a tiny little cliff like in Halo? Why do I have to go around. That sucks. Halo has better jumping mechanics. Also enemies are poorly animated. It's like they never feel that they have taken a hit. Stupid hit points and such. DMC4 does that way better.

RPGs just simply suck.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
A lot of people are placing Fallout 3 & Mass Effect's combat system into the same design, that is not true.

Fallout 3 combat is all stat based. Go up close to any normal human without a helmet & shot them at point blank range 22 time directly on the head & that still won't kill them.
All those shots connected, but were not registered by the game because your skill level was too low. Stupidest & most outdated game design ever, especially in a FPS hybrid like Fallout 3.

Mass Effect combat on the other hand is not based on that. So shot an enemy point blank directly in the head & they die, not matter what the stats.
The stats only increase accuracy, damage & rate of fire. Start the game with a Rifle with an Accuracy of 1 & you have to crouch down, zoom in, not move & use small bursts of fire, but all the bullets that hit are registered.
Of course increasing stats & you can play the game like Max Payne.

Ranger X

This thread makes me thing of an hilarious co-worker of mine that will buy and play EVERY DAMN GAME WITH RPG ELEMENTS because he's an RPG nuts. And he will like ANY game, no matter how shitty they are, if they got some "rpg elements".

Looks like I can't understand the RPG enthusiast sometimes.

Llyranor

Action RPGs only feel subpar if they try to mimic whatever other genre they're aiming for, without adding in the depth/breadth of gameplay that the RPG elements can give it. RPG elements should add to the gameplay, not detract from it.

Shins said:
What exactly precludes these games from having an excellent combat system that'll make you want to play the game all on its own, along with all the rest of that (inventory, stats, etc.)?
If I wanted to play something where the combat was the key point, I'd probably play an action game. If I wanted to play action games, I'd buy action games. If an RPG plays too much like an action game, I'm probably not that interested.

Top Bottom