• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard purchases King.com (Candy Crush Saga) for $5.9 billion

Cromat

LOL exactly.

Ive noticed people here kneejerk reactions like "What a waste of money!" or "Could have invested that in some new games!"

Not realising this multi billion dollar company will have panels of qualified experts who do valuations and due diligence all day long. This deal would have been the result of months of research (if not more) and simulations/financial projections which show they can turn a profit after a certain amount of time.

People said the same about minecraft - what a waste, one trick pony blah blah. These investment/buy-out threads are just embarrassing to read through.

Agreed. The FT article I quoted said that contacts between Activision and King started three years ago.

Not to mention that you don't need to be a financial genius to see the logic behind this acquisition. All you need is one chart:

Newzoo_Mobile_Game_Revenues_Exceed_Expecations_v2.jpg

13% of Activision Blizzard's revenue comes from mobile and other sources, up from 5% last year. It makes perfect sense for an established company in the gaming industry to want to increase its activity in the fastest growing segment of the gaming market, especially when growth in their core console market is dwindling. One common way of doing this is through acquiring a major player in the growing market when conditions are right (e.g. when Activision has $3.6bn in cash and King is down 25% on its IPO valuation). This acquisition might not turn out well for a million different reasons, but to dismiss it as 'stupid' and 'a waste of money' is just ignoring the realities of the market and business common sense.

An stupid decision. Just like buying Mojang for billions... not worthy.

We will see. If this bubble bursts or legislation forces these companies to stop selling slot machines to people on their phone with guaranteed no return, or if somehow by some turn of fortune, people wise up and stop paying, king could drag down Activision with them.

Maybe I should be happier about this millstone Activision has taken on?

glaurung

Candy Crush is poison. It needs to die.

In my dream world, the evil of Kotick contributes to Candy Crush becoming unpopular and hated. But the fucking middle-aged smartphone parents will keep pumping money into they heart refills. Fuck them. Fuck Candy Crush.

Scrawnton

I didn't check every page, but I assume we've already seen Scrooge McDuck?

They must make so much money, daily. My goodness.

Don't quote me, but I thought i read somewhere that Kings only made several hundred million last year in profit. Doesn't look like a company worth 5 billion dollars.

An stupid decision. Just like buying Mojang for billions... not worthy.

Wait til Minecraft 2 launches exclusively on X1...

I'm guessing Blizz looked at the success of Hearthstone and thought it'd be smart to have a division that makes smaller games like that.

samn

Holy fucking shit.

Disney bought fucking Star Wars for 4 billions, guys.

This only reflects how FANTASTIC that deal was for Disney. I remember there was an analysis from one of the big investment banks that said Lucasfilm's value was closer to $14bn.

lilltias

This only reflects how FANTASTIC that deal was for Disney. I remember there was an analysis from one of the big investment banks that said Lucasfilm's value was closer to $14bn.

Figures above $30bn is not uncommon when talking about the value of Star Wars.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is ducking huge. Wow.

Acquisition announcement calls are normally pre or post market open/close. This one is pretty standard in terms of time.

Amazing how they shore up their biggest weakness like this so quickly.

16% premium. Seems cheap.

Activision blew out expectations. AD eps of 21 cents on revenues of 990mm vs consensus of 15 cents on revenues of 950. Wow huge beat.

Agreed. The FT article I quoted said that contacts between Activision and King started three years ago.

Not to mention that you don't need to be a financial genius to see the logic behind this acquisition. All you need is one chart:

13% of Activision Blizzard's revenue comes from mobile and other sources, up from 5% last year. It makes perfect sense for an established company in the gaming industry to want to increase its activity in the fastest growing segment of the gaming market, especially when growth in their core console market is dwindling. One common way of doing this is through acquiring a major player in the growing market when conditions are right (e.g. when Activision has $3.6bn in cash and King is down 25% on its IPO valuation). This acquisition might not turn out well for a million different reasons, but to dismiss it as 'stupid' and 'a waste of money' is just ignoring the realities of the market and business common sense.

Do you have real numbers by any chance? Only 2013 is not an estimation.

LiK

This is ducking huge. Wow.

Acquisition announcement calls are normally pre or post market open/close. This one is pretty standard in terms of time.

Amazing how they shore up their biggest weakness like this so quickly.

16% premium. Seems cheap.

Activision blew out expectations. AD eps of 21 cents on revenues of 990mm vs consensus of 15 cents on revenues of 950. Wow huge beat.

heh

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For Lucas you have to consider the post acquisition cost to Disney to actually get the company up and running as a major content producer again.

King.com by comparison is an aggressive leader in a hugely growing market.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. The market was willing to pay X yesterday for shares in King. Even at their depressed valuation, activision paid only 16% or so on top of that. I'd have to see if the stock ran up on rumors of a take over last week but seems like a good deal to me in terms of premium.

Obviously it's a rich multiple of earnings or EBITDA but welcome to software startups. Certainly does make mojang look cheap. :)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
For Lucas you have to consider the post acquisition cost to Disney to actually get the company up and running as a major content producer again.

King.com by comparison is an aggressive leader in a hugely growing market.
Yeah, King is a well run company and market leader, pretty different thing.

They are run by humans for whom wealth is a signifier of status/pride - not infallible business computers. Yes, this is definitely how capitalists think.
House of Apps

They are run by humans for whom wealth is a signifier of status/pride - not infallible business computers. Yes, this is definitely how capitalists think.

Hum no.

The whole point of buying King is to make more money, and as stated previously they only bought it at a 16% mark up.

trikster40

I just think everyone at Activision got tired of spending their pay checks on Candy Crush so they just bought the company to get the perks for free

Cromat

Chû Totoro;184000361 said:
Do you have real numbers by any chance? Only 2013 is not an estimation.

Honestly I just googled "mobile gaming growth" and used the first image I found. I'm sure Activision at least has better data, but I might do some more thorough research when I'm back home. It's clear though that mobile gaming is the fastest growing market segment in gaming, if I remember correctly Capcom published similar projections in their investor's presentation.

Lunar15

It sounds silly at first, but even if King is "on the way out" as some would like to say, I'm sure they'd pay for themselves over the years they have left. Which doesn't even consider the fact that they're not really on the way out and they'll probably remain healthy for a while.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I love that duck. Knowing that there's a giant duck traveling the world for no reason makes me happy.

I wonder how big King is? 5.9 billion could be a shitton of money for everyone involved if they decide to give some out to its employees.

Or the higher-ups, could be dicks and just leave with all of it, I guess.

King is a publicly listed company. Its shareholders receive the cash from the takeover in exchange for their shares, (some senior management are also shareholders, I have no idea if they use an employee share scheme as part of their performance management).

The cash doesn't just go to management to distribute or abscond with as they see fit.

Fucking fuck.

Why didn't I buy Activision stock

Why not buy now? I'm sure Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm will continue to grow, Overwatch will probably be huge and surely we're due more Diablo stuff soon - whether another expansion to D3, or even a brand new game. Destiny is only going to get more popular, and they'll probably streamline King and make it even more profitable. The only wildcards I'd say are Skylanders, WoW and COD - the latter two will remain huge obviously, but who knows if they will continue to decline, or whether BO3 will be the shot in the arm COD needs.

Wow. Hopefully somehow this translates into good news for Blizzard and Bungie games...increased budgets, some fun little mobile spinoffs...man I don't know

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
To put it in even more perspective, it wasn't just Star Wars. It was Lucasfilm (so Indy Jones a few other things too), Industrial Light & Magic (one of the most in-demand effects studios in the world), and Skywalker Sound.

Also, Star Wars toys and merchandise have generated something stupid like $25bil in revenue in the last 38 years and will probably generate another $25bil in the next 38 years.

So yeah, $4bil for that.

To be honest, Lucas could've likely gotten far more.
But he didn't care that much, likely. I mean, he's given every penny of that in charity...

akileese

That is a kingly (no pun intended) sum of cash for a mobile company..especially when with the track record of companies like Rovio and Zynga. I'm well aware of how much King has grossed in the past and how much they're projected to gross over the next couple of years, but mobile gamers have zero brand loyalty. Paying billions of dollars of a company that could go under if the next big mobile hit doesn't come from their studio is like playing Russian Roulette with your cash.

Haines

Banned
Ambarrassing but expected that the industry go the way that makes the most money in the end.

Ill continue to avoid these garbage games like the plague.

Mihos

Gold Member
Why not buy now? I'm sure Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm will continue to grow, Overwatch will probably be huge and surely we're due more Diablo stuff soon - whether another expansion to D3, or even a brand new game. Destiny is only going to get more popular, and they'll probably streamline King and make it even more profitable. The only wildcards I'd say are Skylanders, WoW and COD - the latter two will remain huge obviously, but who knows if they will continue to decline, or whether BO3 will be the shot in the arm COD needs.

Nah, I am dumping mine now... before that new acquisition smell wears off.... buy it back in a few weeks once it corrects.

Meier

I've had ATVI stock since 2009 so I trust Kotick, but this doesn't feel like good value for my money. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Top Bottom