• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard purchases King.com (Candy Crush Saga) for $5.9 billion

Aaron D.

Candy Crush is poison. It needs to die.

In my dream world, the evil of Kotick contributes to Candy Crush becoming unpopular and hated. But the fucking middle-aged smartphone parents will keep pumping money into they heart refills. Fuck them. Fuck Candy Crush.

I think the game is pretty fun.

Different strokes, I guess.

Zeta Oni

Hmm, does this aquisition come with all the data collected by King on its customers?

Access to the spending habits of millions of smart phones users would be some very lucrative information in the hands of the people behind destiny.

SZips

Hmm, does this aquisition come with all the data collected by King on its customers?

Access to the spending habits of millions of smart phones users would be some very lucrative information in the hands of the people behind destiny.

I can't imagine a case in a full acquisition where Activision would go, "Alright, just go ahead and purge those years of data on consumer behavior, we don't need that!"

Agreed. The FT article I quoted said that contacts between Activision and King started three years ago.

Not to mention that you don't need to be a financial genius to see the logic behind this acquisition. All you need is one chart:

13% of Activision Blizzard's revenue comes from mobile and other sources, up from 5% last year. It makes perfect sense for an established company in the gaming industry to want to increase its activity in the fastest growing segment of the gaming market, especially when growth in their core console market is dwindling. One common way of doing this is through acquiring a major player in the growing market when conditions are right (e.g. when Activision has $3.6bn in cash and King is down 25% on its IPO valuation). This acquisition might not turn out well for a million different reasons, but to dismiss it as 'stupid' and 'a waste of money' is just ignoring the realities of the market and business common sense.

i agree with you, and its a part of the reason of why i hate reading posts in neogaf

This is a business decision, not a video game decision. These people forming bad opinions with nothing positive to say clog up the forum.

It's like people on a business forum talking about how bad video game design decisions are

stuminus3

Candy Crush is poison. It needs to die.

In my dream world, the evil of Kotick contributes to Candy Crush becoming unpopular and hated. But the fucking middle-aged smartphone parents will keep pumping money into they heart refills. Fuck them. Fuck Candy Crush.
This post is an embarrassment. FYI your little boy's club died a death years ago regardless of what those Gamergate imbeciles say.

Fury451

Banned
wait....

King.com is worth more than Stars Wars.

Lucky SOBs.

Well they sold for more than Star Wars; net worth or value over time is nowhere near the same as far as it appears; especially since Disney got a criminally good deal on Lucasfilm and Star Wars. Merchandising alone on SW will pay for the price in a short time.

Again, I'm sure Activision has a plan, but that price for 2015 King.com seems pretty high to me at the moment.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
In another "they don't know what they are doing!!!" moment, Moody's today upgraded Activision to investment grade, making them I believe the only dedicated publisher to have an investment grade credit rating from either agency. S&P, at BB+/Watch Positive, will likely follow.

the TMO

I think it's an awesome idea!
CS5g7MhWwAERMJj.jpg

So, in order to pay this off, King needs to generate $1.6mill of profit every day for the next ten years. Frankly, it makes Microsoft's acquisition of Mojang look sound.

hesido

So, in order to pay this off, King needs to generate $1.6mill of profit every day for the next ten years. Frankly, it makes Microsoft's acquisition of Mojang look sound.

That assumes the company has a value of 0. The company itself still has some value at the end of 10 years. It could be much lower, though not necessarily.

there are a LOT of whales who play Candy Crush. Once they start paying, they get sucked in and never come back out. It's like cocaine...

BBboy20

Bingo.

People here calling this a bad deal aren't looking at the whole picture. Activision got a lot more than a "bejeweled clone" and $1+ billion revenue per year from this purchase.
6 Billion just for people's information?

King has come close to perfecting camouflaged gambling mechanics in addictive colorful packages. They reach people who would never spin a slot or drop chips on a blackjack table; and the manipulation is subtle enough that most do not notice. Yes they will notice the credit card charges, but they won't see it in the same light as video lottery terminals, even though they should. So they blame themselves.

Being able to peddle an addictive product is very profitable and very valuable. For example, Japan's 2013 Pachinko revenues were $175 billion USD (19 trillion yen). That is for ONE year and is twice as big as world wide revenue from all types of videogames, including mobile. So why is King worth more than star wars and Minecraft? Neither of those uses gambling mechanics to generate revenue.

Side note: Maybe someone should clue people in that children exposed to gambling mechanics have an increased risk of addiction later in life. Giving kids addictive products is always a bad idea, even if they don't buy mtxs.
This is why mobile is the biggest thing around? Just because these devs managed to figure out how to exploit the human mind?

erragal

6 Billion just for people's information?

This is why mobile is the biggest thing around? Just because these devs managed to figure out how to exploit the human mind?

If you think it's just mobile you don't understand games as a product. Also see advertising.

In another "they don't know what they are doing!!!" moment, Moody's today upgraded Activision to investment grade, making them I believe the only dedicated publisher to have an investment grade credit rating from either agency. S&P, at BB+/Watch Positive, will likely follow.

Id be more likely to trust neogaf users saying this $5.9B should be used for AAA game development, rather than a hokey outfit like Moodys or S&P.

KingV

That assumes the company has a value of 0. The company itself still has some value at the end of 10 years. It could be much lower, though not necessarily.

Actually it's worse than this. The $1.6 million per day actually assumes zero cost of capital. In reality those cash flows are going to be discounted at like 10% per year, which means that King and its associated synergies with activist on will have to be more profitable over time to make the deal worth 6.3 billion in 2015 dollars.

Lastly, most software companies don't have much innate value. Kings only real value is in their IPs and associated data which are only valuable if they are making money. If candy crush is run into the ground King is worth nothing. They probably don't have any hard assets to sell in a worst case scenario. How much do you think somebody is willing to pay for the FarmVille name in 2015?

This deal boggles my mind. I'm working at a company now (much different industry) that made a similarly sized bet in an adjacent space. On paper it looked kind of good, but we quickly found out that those two adjacent product categories were very different, are sellin that acquisition for 1/3 what we paid for it and laying off 1500 people. We are a much bigger company than Activision, and it has completely decimated the company.

The only way this deal works is if you think that King has the secret sauce to mobile gaming. Given their recent trends, and rising acquisition costs I just don't think that is true. King has the 'next Zynga' written all over it.

This could literally force Activ to sell its major IPs, or into a merger within a few years. I expect this deal to burn up a lot of value.

Keep in mind the statistics on M&A deals. 70% destroy value. The odds are against you from the get go.

^agree though, well i think even if their branding or IPs lost all their value, there's still other value there... they have more in intangible assets than ppe... i mean it's half goodwill, but usually tech companies have a lot of proprietary software that is probably going to be very undervalued...

in the sense that, ok, say their proprietary analytics, user metrics platform, etc is valued at $20-30m but to Activision Blizzard, wanting to enter p2w mobi... for software proven by king's consistently growing revenue (and how their new games continue to grow total rev/prof even as candy crush declines), growing users (and the data on those users, period)... i mean, Atvi will obviously pay a pretty large premium for that

and even if King IPs die, those analytics and metrics platforms, market user data and general segment intelligence, targeting, etc, that infrastructure (the data and analytics, the platform, the development team experienced with it).. the developer experience and dev process already existing.... those still have pretty significant value

atvi can come in and just plug in their own ips... plug skylanders into the those mobi or vice versa, try plug the platform into skylanders, hearthstone... do collabs a la lego x minecraft, etc... skylanders x candy crush. there's still a lot of risk of course and i totally get what you mean about tangible assets... just meant that i think their intangible assets are as much or more about their software and infrastructure than just their ips

Money is free now
You can borrow at stupid low rates with sound credit like activision.
So activision borrows 6 billion at 3% and the cost is 180m a year, which is what King makes in a couple of months.
So they are also buying developers who know how to create addictive little "it's not gambling, honestly" apps. And I expect they will find a way to do it a few more times.

they have ample cash stockpile to begin with too. something like almost 3x as much cash, near cash as EA... maybe a bit more leveraged than EA if you go by debt (sans deferred revenue) to current assets but in general their leverage is pretty similar. Activision just has a shit ton of cash, something like $5b and it's been growing about 0.5b every year for the last 5 years (which i think is more than twice their long-term debt servicing per year)

i mean, it's a bit of an equity mismatch to do a all-stock deal anyhow lol but i can sort of see why it's all-cash..

wait....

King.com is worth more than Stars Wars.

Lucky SOBs.

The Star Wars deal was straight up cash for George. The dude can go to an ATM and see a billion right there in black and white.
This purchase won't be, itll be stocks, shares and all other kinds of shit that has no worth on the street.
The Star Wars deal is one of the craziest ever made, the plain fact Disney have billions in cash just sitting around is mind blowing. Richer than a lot of countries...George too now.

The Star Wars deal was straight up cash for George. The dude can go to an ATM and see a billion right there in black and white.
This purchase won't be, itll be stocks, shares and all other kinds of shit that has no worth on the street.
The Star Wars deal is one of the craziest ever made, the plain fact Disney have billions in cash just sitting around is mind blowing. Richer than a lot of countries...George too now.

I thought he donated all the money from the Star Wars purchase?

Star Wars and Marvel are well known and established IPs for many generations of people on earth... King makes a few very successful games that are played by a lot of people but very few are paying. If they loose the volume they loose everything.

I don't like Candy Crush but I understand that some people are playing it. Though less and less people are playing this around me (younger cousins, aunts, casual gaming friends...) and like I said it surely won't be something that can be pushed through many generations and on various products.

imo it's just a dumb purchase but it's not my money so happy honeymoon. I just hope they don't crash during the flight.

Also Disney smarter than Activision confirmed but who would have doubted that.

Matt

How much wrong can there be in one post...

lord pie

What a weird industry.

A cloned game, highly polished and released very much "right place, right time" combined with ruthless monetization results in a valuation of roughly "$1 for every person on earth"...

Damn...

Then again it makes total sense on Activision's part - if anything it was a bargain. Apparently well over 100 million people playing the game, spending well over one billion dollars annually...

Wellscha

I should start learning mobile programming. If I don't strike it big and make Billions, at least I'll be like the Flappy Bird guy making an average of 60K$ a day.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Yeah, this is straight bullshit. The consideration is 100% cash.

In the third-largest video game industry deal ever, Activision Blizzard Inc. is buying “Candy Crush” publisher King Digital Entertainment for $5.9 billion in cash.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-activision-candy-crush-20151103-htmlstory.html

I do like how you separated stock from shares and "other kinds of bullshit" because you needed like three things for a sequence!

SammyTS

Banned
Cool nos after we get to have monopolies in the web industry (google), we also get them in gaming. - Get ready to get screwed customers.

Top Bottom