• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision groups Wii centric titles: Wee 1ST

stonedwal

Amir0x said:
haha you think something like this would cause a five percent drop? oh ha

i think if you look around, something a LITTLE bigger happened yesterday with the company!
That'd be the reason for the 20% drop over the last week.

people like to talk about the increased 3rd party support for wii......well, there you have it.

at a time when casual wii titles are outselling the other genres, developers are surely taking note of it, and they are finally realizing: "Give the wii gamers what they want.....and they clearly want more simple waggle titles"

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
frAntic_Frog said:
people like to talk about the increased 3rd party support for wii......well, there you have it.

at a time when casual wii titles are outselling the other genres, developers are surely taking note of it, and they are finally realizing: "Give the wii gamers what they want.....and they clearly want more simple waggle titles"

:(

It's true, damnit.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
frAntic_Frog said:

and as they realize this, they realize a false perception, ignorant of reality.

please, these arguments are getting old. i've gotten tired of debunking them.

Phthisis

doomed1 said:
and as they realize this, they realize a false perception, ignorant of reality.

please, these arguments are getting old. i've gotten tired of debunking them.

I've never seen you debunk this argument once. For that matter I've never seen anybody on this board debunk it. I've seen arguments that use inferential reasoning and the poster screaming out "QED!" but nothing even close to resembling a conclusive, persuasive point.

frAntic_Frog said:

Core titles are selling just as well on the system.

I don't understand why 3rd parties are trying to emulate the success of Nintendo's casual games whilst completely ignoring the alternative. Nintendo's games are almost always AAA quality and many 3rd parties do not understand how to make an accessible game for casual gamers.

I think it would make much more sense to develop games in genres that Nintendo doesn't (or rarely) taps into. That way they're not really competing against Nintendo. Sure, there's profit to be gained from developing casual titles on Wii (just look at the sales of Carnival Games for example) but that doesn't mean they should completely ignore the other side of the spectrum, as facts show the userbase is very hungry for core games on Wii.

frAntic_Frog said:

They are falling into the trap Nintendo set up for them.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Drinky Crow said:
and really only emphasizes that it is the exception that proves the rule,

Eh... the exceptions are fairly frequent, it's just that they rarely come from western developers. Then again, I purchased a Wii for Mario and Zelda. Everything else is just a bonus. Can I help it if western developers don't want my money? :)

DavidDayton said:
Eh... the exceptions are fairly frequent, it's just that they rarely come from western developers. Then again, I purchased a Wii for Mario and Zelda. Everything else is just a bonus. Can I help it if western developers don't want my money? :)

i prefer to phrase your query as "can i help it that i'm too clueless to buy a 360/ps3 instead?"

Vagabundo

Drinky Crow said:
i prefer to phrase your query is "can i help it that i'm too clueless to buy a 360/ps3 instead?"

Maybe it would be an option if they brought their controller tech into the 21st century.

I'll never understand the dichotomy of a fanbase that actively cheerleads the runaway success of the likes of Mario Party, Wii Play, or Mario n' Sonic, when they are not AAA games by any stretch of the imagination, and yet laments the existance of copycat software.

It should be clear by now that these things have consequences. If you don't want casual waggle games, stop buying them.

It's the equivalent of a 360/PS3 owner bitching about every FPS announcement despite Halo, Resistance, and Call of Duty being the best selling games. Are other games still being released in other genres? Certainly. But to expext devs to ignore an obvious cash cow simply because it makes your favorite system look over-specialized is naïve.

The biggest demographic on the system is for simple pick up and play games. A good chunk of the software releases will try to hit that, as they'll always need something to play.

The reason why companies do this is shown by carnival games.

Low cost, Low Risk, Massive sales.

They could make expensive to produce games on the Wii but the risk is higher, and the sales are no better.

If I was setting up a studio today I would make it cell phone and Wii exclusive.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, between bdoughty's total breakdown and some grade-A Drinky quips, this thread really ended up rocking... thought it would be another whine-fest about Wii getting shitty shovelware from Activision. If you don't like it, don't buy it, support developers who actually put an effort forth on the Wii, buy King Story, Rune Factory, and Fragile when they come out, not this shit.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Drinky Crow said:
i prefer to phrase your query is "can i help it that i'm too clueless to buy a 360/ps3 instead?"

Well, you would, although I must say I'm surprised by the addition of the PS3 in there. I thought you and I were united in our opinion of the state of the PS3?

I'll get a 360 eventually -- perhaps in 2010 or 2011. When I do, I'll scoop up the old, good games for $5-$6 each. I'm not in a particular hurry to do so at the moment, and I can't be bothered to toss away additional money for new hardware and games that are overpriced by $10 at the moment. If Western developers don't want my money, that's fine with me.

Drinky Crow said:
so much for the one console future, now even drinky crow knows there is life outside of Nintendo

I love the underdogs myself

E3 will be hard with all these shovelled shit on Wii gottah expand my horizons

and maybe get another DS

Threi

notag
Phthisis said:
I've never seen you debunk this argument once. For that matter I've never seen anybody on this board debunk it. I've seen arguments that use inferential reasoning and the poster screaming out "QED!" but nothing even close to resembling a conclusive, persuasive point.

I certainly haven't refuted it, because this whole "casual vs core" thing is stupid, but there have been a number of people who have tried to refuted it. Here is an example:

_Alkaline_ said:
Honestly I think the industry and its developers/publishers are becoming a bigger joke as the months pass by.

There is incredible potential for sales on Wii yet so few parties are even trying to extract anything from it, because they've got their head stuck metres up their own asses.

The fact is that software, and that includes 3rd party software, does sell on Wii. Jackson stated that core game sales from Nintendo have been poor - what on earth are you talking about buddy? Mario Galaxy has sold fantastic (around 6.5 million WW so far) and significantly better than Sunshine at the same point in its lifetime. Twilight Princess has sold similar numbers to Galaxy (aka amazingly well) and a definite improvement from WindWaker, making it the 2nd best-selling Zelda of all time. Metroid Prime 3 hasn't performed as well as the previous two games, but has a much smaller fanbase and has still managed nearly 1.5 million sales WW, making it the second best selling Prime game and one of the top 4 best-selling Metroid games. Brawl has sold crazy numbers in its first few months, reaching nearly 3 million in its debut month in America alone. I could go on...actually, I think I will. Some more numbers, if you will indulge me:

Super Paper Mario - at least 2.3 million WW.

Link's Crossbow Training - around 2 million WW.

Fire Emblem - performed better than Path of Radiance in Japan (other numbers not avaliable).

Mario Strikers Charged - around 1.5 million WW (quite significantly better than Gamecube strikers).

Oh, and if you excluse Wii Sports (packaged in with the system which gives it a very unfair advantage in sales comparison) and Wii Play (likewise, albeit with a controller), the best selling Wii game? A core game. A 3 of the next 4 best selling games? Core games.

But what of 3rd party sales? We don't see them in the top 10 of most NPD's, do we? The sad thing is that it seems most publishers actually only look at the top 10 as an indicator of whether software is selling well. Yet they fail to ignore that the top 10 isn't the be-all and end-all of a game's sales. It's as if developers and publishers are trying to make any excuse possible not to work on Wii, despite the fact it has (by far) the biggest userbase and fantastic software sales (contrary to popular belief around the developer community). But hey, we needs some stats, don't we? Everyone loves stats! Well then, let's take a look at some sales for 3rd party Wii games, shall we?

So the big one is Guitar Hero III. It's still selling in the top 10 each month on Wii, months after its debut, and has the best legs of any version. I would estimate that we're looking at nearly 3 million WW, not bad for a game in a franchise that had previously never been established on a Nintendo console. Oh, but it's not 'hardcore', is it? Ah well, better ignore those sales then.

Well then, let's check out RE4 and RE: Umbrella Chronicles. Both sold over a million WW and continue to sell. Let's take a look at this for a moment. One of the was a 2 year old port. Not only that, but it was the forth port of the damn game. Yeah. And it still managed to sell nearly 1.4 million WW. Despite the Gamecube version of the game being perfectly playable on Wii. Not bad eh? And then you've got UC, an on-rails spin-off maligned by many reviewers. Still managed to sell even better than RE4. Oh, but it's Resident Evil, which is a popular, established franchise, isn't it? Better ignore these sales too.

Oh, and better ignore Sonic and the Secret Rings sales as well, despite the fact that it managed over a million WW, keeps selling well in Europe to this day nearly 1.5 years after its debut, and absolutely pantsed the sales of the 360/PS3 Sonic. But it's a 'popular' franchise, so it can't be taken as a serious indicator. Neither can Dragon Quest Swords, a mediocre spin-off which was the best selling 3rd party game in Japan until that MGS4 came. Oh, and we can forget about Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, the SEGA-developed title that (combined with the inferior-selling DS version) notched up 5 million WW in its first 3 months. But that's got both Mario AND Sonic, so there's no way we're taking that one seriously.

What else have we got? Well, there's Red Steel. A game with a terrible review average (and yes, the core gamer does check out reviews, believe it or not) and poor word of mouth. But look at this - it managed to sell over a million WW. And it was new, well-marketed IP! Here's a great example! Oh, but it's a launch title, and we all know launch games don't count. Better ignore that one too.

Same goes for Rayman Raving Rabbids, which similarly received poor reviews yet still managed to sell similar numbers to Red Steel. Oh, and it's even worse-reviewed sequal sold similar numbers, but let's just forget about that ok? And then there's Trauma Centre: Second Opinion, which sold at least 300K and is the best selling TC despite being a remake. Oh, and Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, which has sold nearly a million WW and still sells well in European charts, despite coming out nearly 2 years ago. Oh, and MySims which has sold nearly 1 million WW as well. Actually, that last one was practically an new IP. But let's keep the quiet. After all, 3rd party games don't sell well on Wii, ok?

Let's look at some more, shall we?

The Bigs sold early twice as well as the PS3 version in its opening month and managed at least 300K in the US alone. Boogie was critically maligned and thought to have bombed due to not being the top 10 in its first month. Turns out it sold well and a sequal has already been announced. Call of Duty 3 outsold the PS3 version of the game and is still selling in the UK despite coming out at launch. Carnival Gamesinfamously sold over 2 million in the US, has mainatined excellent sales in Europe and a sequal in in development.

Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party debuted quietly but notched up impressive sales throughout the following months, selling well enough for a sequal to be announced. Dragon Ball Z 2 & 3 sold around 500K WW each, selling particularly well in Japan and France. Game Party managed nearly 1 million WW and is still selling well in Europe and the US. Harry Potter was one of the best selling versions of the game. Tiger Woods was the best selling next-gen version. LEGO Indiana Jones is the best selling version in European charts, and LEGO Star Wars has sold nearly 1 million WW.

No More Heroes is by far Suda's best-selling game, selling well enough to prompt Marvelous to have a party in celebration of its sales. Okami met Capcom's expectations. The Wii version of SEGA Superstars Tennis was by far the best selling version in Europe. SSX Blur, receiving absolutely no advertising and thought to have bombed, still managed several hundred thousand WW. Super Swing Golfsold well enough for a sequal. Tales of Symphonia managed 150,000 in its first week in Japan. And Pro Evolution Soccer Wii, despite coming out nearly half a year after the other versions, still managed to be in top 10 in UK charts for over a month, often in the top 5.

Oh, and here's some lovely graphs for you:

45.jpg

47.jpg

So what have I proven? Well, I guess you could say that by looking at these numbers (and there's a lot more i could have said), Wii software sales really aren't so bad after all. But what does this have to do with developers?

Well, maybe numbers such as these show just how much potential there is for sales on Wii. If developers look at the above numbers and still claim that they're not good enough, then how about actually trying, developing some AAA games on the system, and seeing just how well they sell?

If a game like Red Steel, a brand new IP, manages to sell at least a million WW, imagine how well it could've sold if it had actually been good. Imagine if Umbrella Chornicles wasn't a mediocre spin-off, and was actually an AAA game in the vein of RE4. And so on.

The thing about core games is that they can't get away with things like casual games can. Game Party and Carnival Games received terrible reviews but they still managed amazing sales, because the Wii userbase wants games and casual players pay little attention to things like review scores. But looking at the above sales, well-developed and marketed, AAA core games will almost always achieve the higher sales. That's why Galaxy sold more than Mario Party. That's why Brawl sold more than WarioWare. That's why Twilight Princess sold more than Big Brain Academy. If a core game is AAA, then it'll almost always sell well.

So why haven't any 3rd party AAA core games on Wii sold really well? Well...because there actually are none. There's no Gears of War (winner of 2006 GOTY on several sites). No Bioshock (winner of 2007 GOTY on many sites). No Call of Duty 4. No Mass Effect. No Devil May Cry 4. No Ninja Gaiden II. No MGS4. No Assassin's Creed. And so on.

Developers can't say "core games don't sell on Wii", because honestly, what core games on Wii have actually deserved to sell on Wii? I don't see anything on Wii from 3rd parties that represents 1/10 of the effortthat was put into something like Gears of War. I don't see anything on Wii from 3rd parties that represents 1/10 of the budgetthat was put into something like MGS4. I don't see anything on Wii from 3rd parties that represents 1/10 of the creativity and expression that was put into something like Bioshock.

Almost all I see are poor, overpriced ports, weak multiplatform titles, crappy spin-offs or 'exclusives' that look like they took a couple of months to make. Sure, Wii might get a Zack and Wiki, or a No More Heroes, or a Boom Blox every once in a while but who could honestly say that these games are as appealing to the majority of the core audience as stuff like Gears and Bioshock?

And while we're on the subject, why are developers bringing up the 'poor' sales of Zack and Wiki or No More heroes to further their ignorant beliefs? No More Heroes is by far Suda's best-selling game, selling well enough to prompt Marvelous to have a party in celebration of its sales. And not only has Zack and Wiki sold 300-400K WW, but who honestly believes that games would've sold any better on 360 or PS3? If anything it would've most likely sold worse.

There's massive, uncharted potential for 3rd party software sales on Wii, but it's as if 3rd parties want to fail on the system. Just look at Ubisoft. They recently announced that they were unhappy with the sales of their casual games on Wii. So what do they do? Put more shitty casual games on the system of course! And, naturally, just ignore that their best selling game on the system is a core game! Fantastic initiative right there.

The sad things is that as dumb as Ubisoft might seem, most developers/publishers aren't much better. The game industry is becoming more and more ridiculous and prejudice as time goes on. It's about time the majority, rather than the minority, actually opened their eyes and realised the potential for sales on Wii, rather than abide by their own egos, fanboyism and false beliefs.

actually just take a couple minutes and read through this thread if you want good arguments on both sides of this debate:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325733

or you could just ignore it and continue believing that nobody has tried to debate this, despite this being a tired argument dating back from the launch of the console.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Deep down, we're all just biased fanboys. Even if we owned every system out, we'd still prefer certain games to be on our "favorite" system or whatever. I would imagine that an industry built on this type of bias is going to have developers and publishers who're ALSO fanboys. Itagaki constantly contradicted himself when he said for years he would support the most powerful hardware, yet is (was) still sticking only to X-BOX. Mikami was going against the CAPCOM grain by wanting RE on Nintendo platforms and being very much a GCN evangelist to his own detriment. Suda 51's games may have sold better on PS2/X360/PS3, yet he still is all over Nintendo. Sakaguchi, Igarashi, Kojima and others are also *prime* examples of platform fanboys in one way or another. Jealousy, fear, bitterness, rivalry, loads of reasons that lead to sometimes blatently ignorant decisions. But this isn't just exclussive to Eastern developers/publishers. Will Wright is deep down a Nintendo fanboy. Cliffy B. says he's a Nintendo fanboy yet ignores what Wii would bring to his genre of choice possibly 'cos Mark Rein is anti-Nintendo.

Fanboys...all of us and all of them. If Wii outsold the competition even moreso some of these guys would be more adement to sticking to their guns. I think, with some of them, it's to "ride it out" in the hopes that Wii will eventually FADe away and their "serious masterpeices" will win out in the end to a "gimmick". X360's market will cap off soon though IMHO and PS3 has a much better chance to staying pace and "winning out" over Wii in a few years but then the situation will change with another generational transition where everyone (especially Nintendo in their eyes) will have to start over and then they'll "win out" that way in the worst case scenerio. So they'll stick to their guns, they'll stay anti-Nintendo, EVEN if Nintendo made a super-powerful "next-gen" system next time, ultimatly 'cos they're fanboys who know that other fanboys (gamers, journalists, developers & publishers) will follow.

This isn't even about "casual" vs "core" anymore, it's about ego's & pride not wanting to admit defeat for their "masterpeices" for fear of trying to serve an audience Nintendo has built. Trying to convince them or their fans that Nintendo is the best way to make money (due to the large and GROWING userbase and mainstream appeal) is like trying to convince an Evolutionist that there Earth isn't millions of years old. There can be math, evidence and proof surmounted against their ideals and they'll be BLIND towards it.

The truth is this, a good game, with good marketting and good support will sell good ESPECIALLY on a system with large userbase regardless of some opinion-made demographic.

You can say there's good reason not to support one system or another, but it's all basically pre-meditated bias. Only mini-games sell on Nintedno...well yeah, when that's all you make & market. Kid friendly games sell best there...well yeah, when that's all you make & market. "Serious core games" don't sell here...well yeah, when no one makes them, or gimps them when they do come! Nintendo's online sucks, not enough internal storage, it's not even HiDef, it's graphics/power suck, Nintendo doesn't care about "core" games/gamers, wiggle waggle ROFL. Whatever. Anyone can make flaws (that are fixable BTW) seem detrimental: you have to pay for XBL and all you get is sexist, racist, homophobes, too many confusing SKU's, Jeff Bell and the fake copy Nintendo's casual approach, last gen controller, only cars'n'guns game sell on X360, HDD not standerd, DVD not enough, not as powerful as PS3, Japan LOLZ, RROD suxors. Sony: no games, MGS4 dissappointing, where's Home, $599 US dollars OMG, downgraded ports from X360, it's not selling enough, giant enemy craps har har har...

...Seriously, all of it fanboy dribble and most of the above complaints either can be fixed or aren't really detrimental problems...and that goes for all of the big 3.

DrGAKMAN said:
Trying to convince them or their fans that Nintendo is the best way to make money (due to the large and GROWING userbase and mainstream appeal) is like trying to convince an Evolutionist that there Earth isn't millions of years old. There can be math, evidence and proof surmounted against their ideals and they'll be BLIND towards it.

what. the. fuck. as they say in another castle, leper this filth.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Trying to equate Evolutionist vs. Creationism with Console wars = the ultimate what the fuck. But I'd be inclined to agree seeing as some people really have drank down the coolaid that is the religion of Nintendo.

BlueTsunami said:
Trying to equate Evolutionist vs. Creationism with Console wars = the ultimate what the fuck

i'm still struggling with the idea that math and evidence back creationism, but hoo wow derail ahoy

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Drinky Crow said:
i'm still struggling with the idea that math and evidence back creationism, but hoo wow derail ahoy

Holy fuck, I read the bolded as Pro Evolution. What.the.FUCK. Evidence that the earth isn't a Million years old? :lol

malek4980 said:
Forget it, Drinky. It's chuukagai*.

Translator's note: "chuukagai" is Japanese for "Chinatown."

Its all part of the Keikekou

Jag22

Banned
yellowjacket said:
How appealing can they make a Little League World Series game? There wouldnt be any recognizable players. There isnt any logical way to make a career mode. You cant even steal bases.

One of the best baseball games ever made.

19841ps8.jpg

littleleaguebaseballchajx1.png

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'll never understand the dichotomy of a fanbase that actively cheerleads the runaway success of the likes of Mario Party, Wii Play, or Mario n' Sonic, when they are not AAA games by any stretch of the imagination, and yet laments the existance of copycat software.

It's the equivalent of a 360/PS3 owner bitching about every FPS announcement despite Halo, Resistance, and Call of Duty being the best selling games.

Honestly I don't have a problem with people making pick up and play games, and a few more quality ones would not hurt. I have spent more time playing Williams Pinball than any other game in the last month. I was actually looking forward to Rayman Rabbids 2 until Ubisoft messed it up.
But we all know that they are creating a new division so that they can shovel crap at people without adversely affecting there overall corporate image, its an issue with quality not type of game. If Activision announced the creation of the new "360genericrecycledFPS" division I would think that people would bitch about it.

Threi said:
I certainly haven't refuted it, because this whole "casual vs core" thing is stupid, but there have been a number of people who have tried to refuted it. Here is an example:

or you could just ignore it and continue believing that nobody has tried to debate this, despite this being a tired argument dating back from the launch of the console.

The best-selling Wii titles in North America, Europe and Japan are (and correct me if I'm wrong) Wii Play, Mario & Sonic, and Wii Fit, respectively. That cannot be refuted. The argument that "casual games sell shitloads on Wii" is not the same as "only casual games sell shitloads on Wii".

DrGAKMAN said:
This isn't even about "casual" vs "core" anymore, it's about ego's & pride not wanting to admit defeat for their "masterpeices" for fear of trying to serve an audience Nintendo has built. Trying to convince them or their fans that Nintendo is the best way to make money (due to the large and GROWING userbase and mainstream appeal) is like trying to convince an Evolutionist that there Earth isn't millions of years old. There can be math, evidence and proof surmounted against their ideals and they'll be BLIND towards it.

The truth is this, a good game, with good marketting and good support will sell good ESPECIALLY on a system with large userbase regardless of some opinion-made demographic.

Ignoring your ridiculous analogy for a moment, why should these developers admit defeat? Anyone who seriously wants to play Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Devil May Cry, Bioshock, Oblivion, etc, owns or will own a gaming PC or PS360. Given that just about every major franchise from last gen already has a next-gen sequel planned or released (sans Kingdom Hearts), I think developers can by and large ASSUME at this point that if a Wii owner hasn't bought one of the 3 HD options, or is ever planning to buy one of the 3, they aren't interested in those kinds of games, at least not enough to buy them in mass quantities. It's far too late in this gen for the kind of shift that you're hoping for.

As someone mentioned above, Activision should be the last company to draw ire for making a casual game label, since their biggest 'gamer' franchises (Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, Marvel UA, Call of Duty) are all on the platform and will continue to be in the future.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Who are these people "actively cheerleading" these types of games? No one wants tons of those types of games flooding the system. The fact that they sell well doesn't mean that that's what the fanbase wants, it simply means they're the type of game with mass market appeal. The type of game that sell well on ANY system, it's just that devs primarily make them for the Wii

The biggest demographic on the system is for simple pick up and play games. A good chunk of the software releases will try to hit that, as they'll always need something to play.

No it isn't. The top sellers for the system are PRIMARILY traditional games. The same holds true for 3rd parties as the only "pick up and play" games that have sold well are Carnival Games, Rayman (launch title), Mario & Sonic Olympics (need I explain why this sold well?!), and Game Party. Again, the number of traditional games that has sold well greatly outnumbers these types of games.

It seems to me most of you confusion and lack of understanding come from you embellishment of facts and how you seem to ignore counterarguments which support traditonal games selling better and far more frequently than these party games

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sho_Nuff82 said:
The best-selling Wii titles in North America, Europe and Japan are (and correct me if I'm wrong) Wii Play, Mario & Sonic, and Wii Fit, respectively. That cannot be refuted. The argument that "casual games sell shitloads on Wii" is not the same as "only casual games sell shitloads on Wii".
The argument "casual games sell shitloads on Wii" is not the same as "casual games can sell shitloads on Wii" either . Just picking the very top game, you could just as easy argue that "games with peripherals sell shitloads on Wii".

Jag22

Banned
Casual games costs less to make and sell well on the Wii.

What inventive do you really have to not make them?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
BlueTsunami said:
Its all part of the Keikekou

Keikaku*. By the way, I stumbled upon this meme once on GAF, the other day. Where does it come from? Who would be stupid enough a fansubber to not translate directly a Japanese word when there's an equivalent in the target language!? Surely this is just a meme based on Death Note, right? RIGHT!?

hellclerk

Sho_Nuff82 said:
allow me to correct you then, the top 5 selling games WW on Wii at this point in time are (not in this order, as i don't know it) Wii Play, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario & Sonic, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and Mario Kart. Twilight Princess and Mario Party 8 may be in there too, i'm just not sure, though i know for a fact that Wii Fit isn't in there and that i'm pretty sure Mario & Sonic isn't even top 3.

Ignoring your ridiculous analogy for a moment, why should these developers admit defeat? Anyone who seriously wants to play Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Devil May Cry, Bioshock, Oblivion, etc, owns or will own a gaming PC or PS360. Given that just about every major franchise from last gen already has a next-gen sequel planned or released (sans Kingdom Hearts), I think developers can by and large ASSUME at this point that if a Wii owner hasn't bought one of the 3 HD options, or is ever planning to buy one of the 3, they aren't interested in those kinds of games, at least not enough to buy them in mass quantities. It's far too late in this gen for the kind of shift that you're hoping for.
you assume too much. not everyone has the means to own more than one console, such as myself (time and money aren't abundant commodities for me). what if someone when buying the console assumed that the system would have fun traditional games as well, since Nintendo has been touting the system as one that goes beyond "hardcore" and "casual," and anyone saying otherwise has their head up their asses and is ignoring the words that Nintendo reps say. furthermore, you're presenting an argument without much merit. if you can give me a solid, core game that was well marketed but still bombed on the Wii, then maybe i'll be able to see what you mean. thing is, i can already name two for the 360, as well as at least two high profile PS3 games. does that suddenly mean that these types of games don't sell on the PS360? of course not, because there are many points at which there are successes that fit that sort of bill. not so much on the Wii, but those that do fit the bill (solid, well marketed), tend to see success.

As someone mentioned above, Activision should be the last company to draw ire for making a casual game label, since their biggest 'gamer' franchises (Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, Marvel UA, Call of Duty) are all on the platform and will continue to be in the future.
out of all those games, the one that Activision, at this point can be commended for doing a good job on is Guitar hero. Tony Hawk was terrible on the Wii, Marvel was mediocre, as was Call of Duty 3 (though it still sold better than the PS3 version). meanwhile, there was no effort to get CoD4 on the Wii, the current rumored upcoming Tony Hawk game does not have a Wii version, and we have not heard so much as a whisper about CoD5 on the Wii, and though WaW seems to be going to the system, how it looks is still suspect. so far, GHWT will be the only runaway success on the Wii from Activision, unless Treyarch does do well with the Wii version, though very few actually believe that.

however, that's regardless, as it continues this sort of "retarded casual" mindset that purveys the western development landscape. this is an issue of philosophy and how it effects future practice, not their current state.

hellclerk

DavidDayton said:
I assumed he mistakenly wrote "evolutionist" instead of "creationist" or "anti-evolutionist".
his analogy is still technically correct, convincing a fanboy developer that a game would be better off on one console IS like trying to convince an evolutionist that creationism is the truth, and vis versa is true as well. i think both sides are idiots and the world started with a midget, a mountain, and some trees. definitely.

goomba

Banned
like trying to convince an Creationalist that there Earth is billions of years old. There can be math, evidence and proof surmounted against their ideals and they'll be BLIND towards it.

Fixed it for you.

RagnarokX

Drinky Crow said:
He probably has these bookmarked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yBvvGi_2A

Edit: Also, for additional comedy, you should watch Kent Hovind's seminars. They are long but so ridiculous. He spends 2 hours talking about how dinosaurs survived the flood on Noah's ark and then got hunted to extinction by Europeans who thought they were dragons. He even unknowingly uses evolution to explain how all of the animals fit on the ark.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sho_Nuff82 said:
The best-selling Wii titles in North America, Europe and Japan are (and correct me if I'm wrong) Wii Play, Mario & Sonic, and Wii Fit, respectively.

You are wrong.

Don't talk sales if you don't know sales.

schuelma said:
You are wrong.

Don't talk sales if you don't know sales.

Sorry, Wii Sports has sold more than Wii Fit in Japan (easy to forget, as it's often ignored in sales discussions). That totally disproves my point. :lol

Or do you guys not understand what 'respectively' means?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Sorry, Wii Sports has sold more than Wii Fit in Japan (easy to forget, as it's often ignored in sales discussions). That totally disproves my point. :lol

Or do you guys not understand what 'respectively' means?

The only region where your theory is true is Japan. (of course, even in Japan, Smash and Mario Kart have sold about a million more than the best selling hi def game).

In the U.S, Smash, Mario Kart, and Guitar Hero have all sold more than Mario and Sonic.

In Europe, I'm reasonably sure that Mario Kart is in the top 3.

Top Bottom