• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler: "Maybe G4 can tell me now why I was fired"

Megasoum

Banned
This. I'm not sure Sessler should have tweeted something like that....it's hard to say if Rev3 is a steady gig for him (they are mostly a Youtube channel, so they could go away at any time). Potential employers are starting to look at social media before hiring people nowadays.

Rev3 is owned by Discovery so it's not like it's a startup that could go under anyday.

Dali

Probably because he was old and unattractive would be my guess. You can't do youth-oriented programming with him in front of the camera. He was G4's Kurt Loder... only he got fired.

khaaan

When you're comparing the nerd levels of nerds like Adam Sessler against Alison Haislip, it's clear who's the nerd and who's not. All non nerds had to be let go. I bet he refused to lick consoles, what a loser.

Bedlam

And also keep in mind that the tweet in question was following 2 tweets about a quote from the NBCUniversal (G4's owners) boss explaining why there's no gaming on the new "Esquire Channel". She said that gamers don't watch TV....which is fucking dumb.
It's kind of true. At least as far as gaming-related content goes.

And also keep in mind that the tweet in question was following 2 tweets about a quote from the NBCUniversal (G4's owners) boss explaining why there's no gaming on the new "Esquire Channel". She said that gamers don't watch TV....which is fucking dumb.

This isn't completely inaccurate. It's more that 'gamers' don't want to watch a bunch of TV exec's idea of what a game focused channel should be. Television is almost always lowest common denominator which means most of the time nothing is represented in a way that fans/enthusiasts of those things actually want. Just look at the decline of the History channel.

From contract dispute to being fired. That sucks. He was on G4 for so long, he wouldn't quit. Most likely terminated his tenure because the show is changing for the modern male.

G0523

I imagine him in his apartment right now, surrounded by hundreds of bottles of alcohol, crying and hugging a copy of Mega Man Anniversary Collection The Sly Collection.

Fixed!
He's been known to be a huge fan of the Sly Cooper series.

Maybe Sessler can tell us why Sessler was fired. Sounds crazy, I know.

Patryn

Yeah, it and Attack of the Show. It's now the Esquire Channel. From wikipedia:

I expect the gaming content to last about as long as the TechTV content lasted. It's obviously just bridging material, in a futile attempt to not lose their entire old audience. Once they've built up their new stuff, it'll get tossed into the street.

Probably because he was old and unattractive would be my guess. You can't do youth-oriented programming with him in front of the camera. He was G4's Kurt Loder... only he got fired.
I didnt realize girls was a target demo for x-play. No one gives a shit about looks in gaming culture. This has more to do with g4 wanting to get rid of gaming variety from its programming.

I didnt realize girls was a target demo for x-play. No one gives a shit about looks in gaming culture. This has more to do with g4 wanting to get rid of gaming variety from its programming.

ibdFKLDyLR1FZl.gif

Philthy

Since when is gaming 'youth oriented'? The average age of the gamer was mid 30s last I checked. The Nintendo generation grew up and never stopped playing.

MG310

When you're comparing the nerd levels of nerds like Adam Sessler against Alison Haislip, it's clear who's the nerd and who's not. All non nerds had to be let go. I bet he refused to lick consoles, what a loser.

Didn't seem like they cared that much about Haislip either..she jumped ship years before Sessler.

I would assume the simple answer was he was to expensive to keep...

Weren't Sessler and Webb the two highest paid show hosts on G4?

If you could only afford one, which would you choose for a channel focused towards adolescent teens.

Toa TAK

Banned
I would assume the simple answer was he was to expensive to keep...

Weren't Sessler and Webb the two highest paid show hosts on G4?

I wouldn't doubt it. Considering for me, personally, they're the two reasons why I kept coming back to X-Play.

But hey, Adam was fired and that sucks. But he's definitely in a better place now, I think.

scitek

Of course he didn't. After he left, they never mention him again. Even in the last episode of the show, they don't say anything. Which is wrong, he's been on X-PLAY for a very long time. Show some class, and honor the man that's been with with show for like a decade.
Makes me think of a few months ago when The Price is Right had its 40th anniversary show without Bob Barker. Supposedly because he and the new producers had a falling out. Learn when to put shit like that aside FFS.

I'm going to take a wild guess that Adam's tweet was intended to be more humorous than it has been taken so far.

Just speculating from past tech TV/ G4 firings, Adams agent was negotiating a standard contract renew. G4 management became unreasonable. Too little money, or too many impossible requirements. As the due date neared, Adam's agent told G4 that Adam would stop showing up for taping if the contract wasn't renewed. G4 answered back that they optioned to not renew and oh BTW where should we ship his things?

Adam has been awesome on Rev3. Much better outlet for him than TV. Can't wait to see his E3 coverage.

Now if only they could convince Kate to come out of retirement?
dance00034.jpg

scitek

I'll have to check out Revision 3's stuff. I've never really paid them any attention. I wonder how hard it is to get a job there. I'm in school right now for TV production and would love to get on-board with something like it when I'm done in a year.

Hasney

I'll have to check out Revision 3's stuff. I've never really paid them any attention. I wonder how hard it is to get a job there. I'm in school right now for TV production and would love to get on-board with something like it when I'm done in a year.

Only really checked out the DToid show on it and I enjoy that quite a bit now and again.

Thinking about it, Sessler has guest hosted it himself too.

Bladenic

I watched some of their reviews recently, and it's pretty good stuff. Reminded a ton of X-Play, at least older stuff. They still have a token cute girl but she seems fairly knowledgeable and is likable.

Rev3Games is one of the better gaming jouralism sites on the net and has only gotten better since Sessler took over. Highly recommended.

Isn't it against the law to just fire someone? I mean, letting someone go, sure--but to be fired implies there was some negligence on the part of the former employee. I'm sure Sessler has at least some idea of the reasoning for his departure, otherwise he could have a nice lawsuit on his hands.

Not in California! (work at will state)

Dali

Since when is gaming 'youth oriented'? The average age of the gamer was mid 30s last I checked. The Nintendo generation grew up and never stopped playing.

I was referring to the target demo of the channel: The 18 to 34 male demo. Same way MTV shuffles their hosts when they get too old, I wouldn't be surprised if G4 did the same thing. You've got people like Chris Hardwick that were just as old if not older, but Adam looked (or looks) old. When he went for that geeky college slacker look it was just sad. It was like your dad's luggage got lost on vacation and he's about your size so he borrows your clothes until they recover his bag sad.

scitek

I watched some of their reviews recently, and it's pretty good stuff. Reminded a ton of X-Play, at least older stuff. They still have a token cute girl but she seems fairly knowledgeable and is likable.

I was extremely disappointed with TWiT's attempt at a gaming show last year. I was hoping it'd be more like their other shows and skew older in demo, but it seemed like it'd have been right at home on any other site. Veronica Belmont's one of those girls that knows her stuff, too. What a waste.

braves01

Banned
He needs to get rid of those sideburn things he's been rocking recently.

Otherwise, I think he's generally got a great critical eye for games.

I wouldn't go that far, but I was never a fan of his business/business-casual presentation on the show. Granted, more and more adults are playing video games, but it's still a very casual and laid-back hobby, so why the pretentious appearance?

Sorry i've not conformed to your definition of "most people". My opinion (and point) was that Sessler came across as a juvenile clown. What is he, 40 years old... Perhaps instead of using the insult "virgin" i should have said he appears socially inept?

Why did he get fired? It was said above, he is the antithesis of Esquire. People with money made the choice to change G4's image, and Sessler doesn't fit into the new image... because he needs to get laid before anyone is going to take him seriously.

Really?

Getting laid is now required to be taken seriously?

Whompa

"I know how business works"

You can't fire someone for being old or unattractive without risking a lawsuit. That's discrimination in the work place and a very serious offense.

Fuck this guy, he has no right to talk about "Balls" when he sat on his hands while watching all his friends and co-workers get fired during the Tech TV take-over and then function as a scab for close to a decade after.

Karma's a bitch.

Top Bottom