• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adding vanilla extract to your coffee is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

The real good stuff not imitation. If you have homemade vanilla extract, that's probably better.

But today, I wanted to change it up a bit, so I added some vanilla extract to my regular morning coffee. It's Sunday, so why change it up a bit since I'm not in a rush to go anywhere.

I know this isn't a new thing. Flavored coffee have been around way before Starbucks and coffee milkshakes.

But I always hated those Taster's Choice things, and I don't mess with flavored creamer either.

Yet as I was grabbing stuff from my cupboard to make some for the morning, I saw bottle of vanilla extract--doesn't' get much use in the summer as I don't bake much during this time--so I said why not?

Love the aftertaste it adds.

In before the black only no sugar crowd comes ;P

old

I hate flavored coffee because they use bad coffee.

I hate flavored creamers because they use sugar, and too much sugar too.

But I do love vanilla. I will try this.

pmj

I'm a black only no sugar guy. But I have a small jar of bourbon vanilla powder in my cupboard and I'm going to try this.

Mitch

Banned
If I do make a basic black blend, adding vanilla extract and even some cinnamon really increases the flavor.

entremet

I love vanilla extract in baked goods, and usually add extra if I'm making something. But I never liked it in coffee. I sprinkle some cinnamon or add a splash of milk on coffee if I need to switch things up.

tbh the thing I most often add to coffee is gelato. Quick affogato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVTQHiAQRA

Cinnamon is nice. Good fresh cinnamon makes a nice difference. Not stuff that's been in the supermarket for months to years.

I usually get mine from the internet in small batches so its fresh.

Sounds oxymoronic, but spice houses are the best place to get spices as they get higher turnover and fresher stock than supermarkets.

Penzey Spices is good.

New002

I never liked the taste of plain milk, so growing up I would add a little splash of vanilla extract. Amazing.

Well vanilla extract is has the color of a water downed coffee. It doesn't change the look of the coffee.

It's also not sweetened. The real stuff is never sweet.

Okay then hit me!

7SA7VMC.jpg

Tuber

Vanguard of the Black Coffee, No Sugar Defense Force here. Real vanilla extract's a really interesting flavor on its own, so I could see this being worth a try. I was boiling water when I came upon this thread, so I'll report back with findings. Stay on the edges of your seats, everybody.

Red

Vanguard of the Black Coffee, No Sugar Defense Force here. Real vanilla extract's a really interesting flavor on its own, so I could see this being worth a try. I was boiling water when I came upon this thread, so I'll report back with findings. Stay on the edges of your seats, everybody.

I am edging in my seat.

Please hurry.

entremet

its expensive tho

i save all my vanillas for baking

It is pricey.

Every try making you own? It's costly up front--you need to get a lot of whole vanilla beans, but you can make a huge batch. That will last you years!

It's rather easy too.

You just need a clear neutral flavor alcohol like vodka, add it to a jug or jar, add a whole bunch of split open vanilla beans. Let it age for 3 months in a dark cool place, covered.

And you have real homemade extract. It will last a long time. Just add more alcohol and vanilla beans, little by little.

pmj

Well this was a good way of ruining a perfectly good cup of coffee.

But I haven't vomited yet so it's at least better than sugar and cream.

pmj

You probably used too much. No more than one or two tablespoons.

I used about half a teaspoon of vanilla powder for a ~3dl mug of coffee. Edit: Actually half a liter. I just measured it.

I've somehow managed to get most of it down. It's really peppery. More spicy than vanilla-y.

entremet

I used about half a teaspoon of vanilla powder for a ~3dl mug of coffee.

I've somehow managed to get most of it down. It's really peppery. More spicy than vanilla-y.

Power doesn't count, bro ;P

Real vanilla extract only! :D

Helps to be or have a baker in the household.

Tuber

I am edging in my seat.

Please hurry.

I trust in your self-control.

Also it's... different. Most of the flavor is aromatic and lingers after tasting it towards the back of your throat rather than being an assault on the taste buds. I think the fact that I'm using darker roasted beans might have obscured some of the lighter flavors, so I might try this again with a lighter roast to see what that does for it. Not bad though.

Thanks for broadening my horizons, OP. I feel fulfilled for the day.

I've only used Vanilla extract in ice coffee.

1/4 strong espresso, milk, vanilla extract, some stevia.

Holy gamolie I think I am holy, does that taste gud.

pmj

Power doesn't count, bro ;P

Real vanilla extract only! :D

It's real vanilla! Just ground up! I've never seen it in fluid form, actually. Only full stalks and powdered beans. Maybe the powder would work better if mixed in with the ground coffee beans before brewing.

entremet

It's real vanilla! Just ground up! I've never seen it in fluid form, actually. Only full stalks and powdered beans.

Could you take a pic of the package?

The issue with ground up vanilla is that it loses it flavor, which is actually very delicate.

It's why alcohol is used with extract. It preserves the flavor somewhat.

Real beans are the best, but holy moly are they costly.

There is a vanilla paste, which is a better than powders, but it's hella expensive too.

Quality control matter, bro! ;P

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Y'all measuring in teaspoons or tablespoons are nuts.

I add 2 tablespoons to a cask of porter (10.8gal firkin) and it is nearly overpowering. Adding that much to a cup of coffee sounds revolting.

pmj

Could you take a pic of the package?

The issue with ground up vanilla is that it loses it flavor, which is actually very delicate.

It's why alcohol is used with extract. It preserves the flavor somewhat.

Real beans are the best, but holy moly are they costly.

There is a vanilla paste, which is a better than powders, but it's hella expensive too.

Quality control matter, bro! ;P
I can't take a pic because I don't own a working camera. It's made by Khoisan Tea.

I'll take your word for it losing flavor, and it probably doesn't help that the jar has been sitting in my cupboard for a long time. Possibly years.

My Firefox has apparently turned British by all of this, as it's now squiggly-lining the word "flavor". More proof that this was a bad idea.

entremet

Y'all measuring in teaspoons or tablespoons are nuts.

I add 2 tablespoons to a cask of porter (10.8gal firkin) and it is nearly overpowering. Adding that much to a cup of coffee sounds revolting.

One teaspoon is fine for a cup.

I can't take a pic because I don't own a working camera. It's made by Khoisan Tea.

I'll take your word for it losing flavor, and it probably doesn't help that the jar has been sitting in my cupboard for a long time. Possibly years.

My Firefox has apparently turned British by all of this, as it's now squiggly-lining the word "flavor". More proof that this was a bad idea.

Yep. sounds like imitation vanilla flavoring. Not real extract.

The imitation is quite popular since it's cheaper, but it's a poor imitation of the the real stuff.

Accept no substitutes!

I want to like coffee, I really do... but I just can't favour the taste. I've tried Mochas, Lattes, Frappes, whatever...

Yet reading about adding vanilla extract to coffee makes me want to drink some :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom