Adobe drives me nuts

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
I use the Adobe suite of software everyday for work, mainly Illustrator and Photoshop. I don't really have a huge rant here, but I wanted to say that it drives me crazy how shitty they are at fixing bugs and implementing basic features that the community of paying users is asking for.

It's hard to think of all the specific examples I've come across over the years, but in general it just seems like every time I have a question about Adobe software, and look online, several other users have asked the same question at an Adobe forum, and get no answer.

Like today I was curious why Illustrator's right click context menu is so shitty - I want Cut, Paste, Lock, Unlock, in there, it would speed up my workflows and be more comfortable for me. You can't customize it. I went online to look for info, and find another user asking for the same feature on Adobe's forum. The first answer is top rated or whatever , and literally just says "there are many right click menus in illustrator, all controlled by Adobe," Yeah no shit man. How is this getting top rated at an official forum, the guy completely missed the point of the OP's question.

Further down, and in other question threads asking the same thing, you see many users all agreeing and saying they want the feature too. I've seen this with several features and bug fixes. Years go by, no official answer, more people just add to the threads, or give up asking.

These guys need some competition because they have absolutely no incentive to make the experience better for the users when you can't use anything else. There are basic ass bug fixes I have been waiting like a decade for that I'm just never going to see because Adobe is working on who the fuck knows what.

Last edited:

hivsteak

Jan 27, 2017
Creating software sucks. They’re working on bugs and features requested by the largest accounts if anything and there is minimal customization to likely cut down on technical support.

Rip the bandaid off and start using GIMP and Inkscape.

Reactions: JareBear

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2004
Wait till you work with a team and one person saves his file in IDD2019 and you haven’t moved up from IDD2018. You took care and made sure you had the IDD file on your travel laptop locally, because you have a shitty dial up on a small island, and the file is 25MB.

You’ll be delighted to find that on that small island that old file you have on your computer opens insanely slow. Like, several hours to open the file, a day even. Turns out that files from a previous version of IDD are parsed in the cloud. So that file needs to travel through potato internet to america and back before you can have it open.

* Actually happened to me

Reactions: Nymphae

Kadayi

Probable Replicant
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
Wait till you work with a team and one person saves his file in IDD2019 and you haven’t moved up from IDD2018. You took care and made sure you had the IDD file on your travel laptop locally, because you have a shitty dial up on a small island, and the file is 25MB.

You’ll be delighted to find that on that small island that old file you have on your computer opens insanely slow. Like, several hours to open the file, a day even. Turns out that files from a previous version of IDD are parsed in the cloud. So that file needs to travel through potato internet to america and back before you can have it open.

* Actually happened to me
When they packaged it did they not make an IDML exchange file as well?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2004
When they packaged it did they not make an IDML exchange file as well?
The scenario literally never crossed anyones mind. We had opened cross version files before in the studio, and while a bit slower than opening a correct version, the speed never made us suspect that the conversion happens in the cloud. Naturally went IDML ever since.

Reactions: Kadayi

Pagusas

Jun 9, 2006
Prosper, Tx
Their programs have barely changed over 10 years
Lol no. I work in Premier, After Effects, Illustrator and Photoshop everyday for my job with my team. If you were to revert us 10 years into the past, our lives would be absolutely misserable. So many QoL changes have happened in the last few years that people are taking for granted as they are used to them now.

• Triggered
Reactions: dhatt1 and Tapioca

Kadayi

Probable Replicant
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
I kind of feel that both Photoshop and Illustrator could both really do with a back to formula rethink from the ground up, in a similar fashion to how Adobe kicked Pagemaker to the kerb and came up with Indesign. I suspect that the sheer complexity of the software plus the legacy of existing PSDs and AI files means that's unlikely to ever happen unfortunately. :messenger_anguished:

Reactions: dhatt1

Tapioca

Aug 17, 2017
Lol no. I work in Premier, After Effects, Illustrator and Photoshop everyday for my job with my team. If you were to revert us 10 years into the past, our lives would be absolutely misserable. So many QoL changes have happened in the last few years that people are taking for granted as they are used to them now.
I must have a bad memory then. I work with them everyday as well. It is the same program with minor upgrades. They haven't innovated in over a decade.

Last edited:

Shifty.

Sep 25, 2015
Somewhere in space
I use the Adobe suite of software everyday for work, mainly Illustrator and Photoshop. I don't really have a huge rant here, but I wanted to say that it drives me crazy how shitty they are at fixing bugs and implementing basic features that the community of paying users is asking for.
I got two words for ya kid:
Professional-tier Software

Shit's a joke, and it seems to be a theme across many high-end software packages: Astronomical 'enterprise' price tag, and developers that are more concerned with implementing big-ticket new features than taking some time to fix their damn bugs.

Photoshop, Unity, Unreal Engine 4, Maya, various offline 3D renderers... It's rampant. I blame it on this 'the show must go on' attitude that drives so many production industries. No time to focus on stability when there's money money money to be made 💰

Last edited:
Reactions: Nymphae