• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adobe: XB1 Best Selling Console Online** Black Friday 2016

Roc Boy

Banned
There are some games on Pro that do native 4k. If you want to play it like that then Xbox would have "1080p" games in quotes too. :p

So I guess then that 4K Games* wouldve been more appropriate.

An argument could be made however that One S is still a better gaming investment versus Pro since we know Scorpio games and accessories will be backwards compatible with One and that devs are already planning for this....

...plus any 4K movies you decide to pick up between now and then.

I really want to know how you can feel that MS is able to market Xbox One S as a 4K console when it only has 4K media playback for now but Sony can't market the PS4 Pro as a 4K console when it has 4K media & 4K games?

please explain this one to me.

And if MS successfully markets S as a 4K console, why would those who buy one now switch to just another 4K console next fall?

Unknown?

An argument could be made however that One S is still a better gaming investment versus Pro since we know Scorpio games and accessories will be backwards compatible with One and that devs are already planning for this.

Don't fall because I haven't seen anyone reach that far!

Stanng243

An argument could be made however that One S is still a better gaming investment versus Pro since we know Scorpio games and accessories will be backwards compatible with One and that devs are already planning for this.

We don't even know what the Scorpio is. Do we actually have a lists of developers planning ahead for it? And no, just because the Scorpio is coming sometime next year doesn't make the one S a better gaming buy now.

Anarion07

An argument could be made however that One S is still a better gaming investment versus Pro since we know Scorpio games and accessories will be backwards compatible with One and that devs are already planning for this....

Five posts and already reaching that far.
Please elaborate the bolded part and how this is any different to pro?

-griffy-

Banned

I mean, this is true of the Pro and base PS4 too...

run along

edit: thanks based mods

RexNovis

Banned

Onward, Console soldier, marching as to war
Blend with yours their voices in subservience ring
Glory, laud and honor unto your corporate king
One in hope and doctrine, see your accounts grey
Onward, Console soldier, marching as to war
With the flag of branding brazenly proclaimed.
Amen.

I know that the games in PS4 Pro can be used to take advantage of the new hardware and scale to 4k but is the native frame buffer 4k for these games?
For some, yes. There are currently 7 games that run native 4K on Pro (out of about 50 that have been enhanced). Before you ask, 6 of them are AAA and only 1 indie. Also, 4 of them run at 4K60.

Elbereth

You did, in response to onQ123's question "As a gamer you would settle for lots of games under 1080P vs a console that can do native 4K & checkerboard 4K just to have a UHD Blu-ray player...?" Here's your quote:

You have explicitly said Xbox One S is a superior choice to PS4 Pro because of a movie format it plays. It's weird that you're denying you ever said this when it's right there in black and white.
j

I explicitly...Let me make certain I'm reading this correctly...."EXPLICITILY"... said this?.. I've asked you to stop being intellectually dishonest with what I've said. Let's not parse my words, take the full quote if you feel the need to use it. Especially the last paragraph.

Checkerboard is great, and the benefits are astounding. I will have a PS4Pro soon,just not used to having a Sony box without physical media. Streaming 4K media vs Native 4K is not a very good comparison if you value the quality that native 4K brings

As a gamer, a father, not necessarily a movie buff, but I like good movies... Yes. I used to be able to get all of this in one box without compromise (consoles of course), on a Sony machine. That has changed it seemed.

You assume that I would be playing the vast majority of my games on the Xbox. I won't. Will the new XBox S allow me to play Xbox exclusives that I missed, absolutely. Will I play some at 900P? Sure. There are some exclusives that I've always wanted to play, and now MS has given me a reason to. I would have gotten the future Xbox titles that interested me on PC as they will definitely run better. I will also be able to watch 4K HDR movies on the box as well. That is the key. I'm not sacrificing anything by my choice. The PS4Pro just wasn't the first choice because it lacked a key component in enjoying my nice new 4K TV, watching pristine 4K content. Once again, I'll have the PS4 Pro very soon so my experience with all the magic that the pro will bring is exciting to me.)

You also state:

Please note I'm not arguing with your preferences--buy whatever you want! I'm just rejecting the claim that it's logical to choose a console based on what movie formats it plays, when your primary interest is playing games.

Again, the last paragraph from last quote explains this in detail. I have a new TV that I want to enjoy both games and movies. It only makes sense for me to buy a box where I can game <-- (Not 4K gaming) and watch 4K in native, pristine quality. Instead of buying a standalone 4K player. I have an added bonus in being able to play games on this box, again, not 4K gaming. Does this provide a wonderful value to me? Yes. Will my new TV benefit from having a PS4Pro and all the great gaming benefits that come with this? Absolutely, much more so than my XBox1S. This is known as I stated..

Here

The past doesn't necessarily dictate the future, but the brand has established a rich history of providing an all in one solution. Whether this will continue or not remains to be seen. PS will always be my primary system as the 1st party/ 3rd party support is unparalleled imo. Again, the PS4 Pro purchase is a forgone conclusion. However, it's a new day when a PS system isn't my first choice.

At this juncture, I've already settled with having both systems as both give me something that the other will not. I'm quite alright with that. Though, I prefer to have the all in one solution that the Playstation has consistently provided. It does not now, and that's okay.

Once more, no one is arguing that the PS4Pro is not the stronger, most capable when it comes to games. The competition is offering a good package and a feature that the Playstation does not have. That competition being another gaming system that happens to be one of the cheapest 4K UHD players on the market. As a gamer, it makes sense for me to purchase this. The PS4Pro will be purchased soon after. In fact, FFXV, God of Ware, Uncharted 4 (Which I haven't played yet, but will get to play it at it's highest quality),Horizon will not be played on my PS4, but my PS4Pro.

Lol, I hope we can put the pitchforks down and have a meaningful discussion about sales and opine about the the future. Hopefully I've explained my stance in great detail. I I love an open discussion about videogames (This is why I'm here:)

Elandyll

Banned
That competition being another gaming system that happens to be one of the cheapest 4K UHD players on the market. As a gamer, it makes sense for me to purchase this...

You keep using that sentence "As a gamer".
And we get where you come from, it's fine wanting to play 900-1080p games upscaled to 4k on a machine that also does 4k BR and 4k streaming.
Repeating yourself does not change the fact that positing yourself first "As a gamer", and then saying that the feature that clinches it is playing 4k BR movies does not make sense, or is dishonest.

Just admit you are looking for an all-rounder with 4k BR playback, and I can certainly respect that.
#shrug

The way it's going, you're probably going to just re-quote yourself though.

Elbereth

You keep using that sentence "As a gamer".
And we get where you come from, it's fine wanting to play 900-1080p games upscaled to 4k on a machine that also does 4k BR and 4k streaming.
Repeating yourself does not change the fact that positing yourself first "As a gamer", and then saying that the feature that clinches it is playing 4k BR movies does not make sense, or is dishonest.

Just admit you are looking for an all-rounder with 4k BR playback, and I can certainly respect that.
#shrug

The way it's going, you're probably going to just re-quote yourself though.

Certainly, if you are going to ask a redundant question I can't do much but direct you to the points where I clarified this desire. So, "Just admit that" is a far stretch when the case has already been made.

Here
Sony would have been able to double dip with the PS4 Pro. As a gamer who has primarily purchased Sony systems in the past, the expectation that the Playstation brand has been a true, "It Only Does Everything", as the PS2 = Many of our first DVD Player, PS3 = Many of our first Blu Ray Player. With such a rich history, the expectation has been that the PS system has always been a one stop shop for high end media.

Here
The past doesn't necessarily dictate the future, but the brand has established a rich history of providing an all in one solution. Whether this will continue or not remains to be seen. PS will always be my primary system as the 1st party/ 3rd party support is unparalleled imo

Hopefully you respect that.

Lol, I hope we can put the pitchforks down and have a meaningful discussion....
Hey sunshine, the only one of us with pitchforks out is you. Here's what you've said about me:

Again, if you want to have meaningful dialogue, at least be honest about what was and wasn't said. ...This strawman argument that you are presenting intellectually dishonest and sad.
I've asked you to stop being intellectually dishonest with what I've said.

If you want an open discussion, maybe quit accusing your interlocutors of being dishonest and "sad". You may note I have not cast any similar aspersions on you.

I have a new TV that I want to enjoy both games and movies.
Yes, and the reason you're buying an Xbox One instead of PS4 Pro is because of its movie features. Everyone agrees that's a fine choice. People are disagreeing when you repeatedly say "As a gamer, the Xbox One S movie format is a meaningful factor in my buying decisions."

The Shift

Banned
Does anyone know if Sony intend on releasing a console with a UHD drive? In 2020 with PlayStation 5 or will they do another round of hardware revisions on the Pro and Slim?

Or is the proposed market for native 4k movie playback going to be niche as to make the inclusion of a UHD drive unnecessary going forward?

Edit - please disregard the above questions as they seem off topic in the context of this thread! Apologies to mods in advance.

Elbereth

Hey sunshine, the only one of us with pitchforks out is you. Here's what you've said about me:

If you want an open discussion, maybe quit accusing your interlocutors of being dishonest and "sad". You may note I have not cast any similar aspersions on you.

You quote a sentence of mine without full context, as well as stating the I "explicitly" said something that I did not. That is textbook dishonesty. You have lost the moral high ground.

Yes, and the reason you're buying an Xbox One instead of PS4 Pro is because of its movie features. Everyone agrees that's a fine choice.

People are disagreeing when you repeatedly say "As a gamer, the Xbox One S movie format is a meaningful factor in my buying decisions."

Yes, and I stand by that. I could have purchased a standalone player. Why not have one that also plays games?

People are free to disagree with me, I'm quite alright with that. People aren't free to be dishonest about what I've supposedly "explicitly" said.

Top Bottom