• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adult Swim News from Message Board Q and A

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Adult Swim is answering users questions right now, but they've already dropped some big news.

Coming to Adult Swim in Summer 2005:

Samurai Champloo

Paranoia Agent

More news as it comes.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
VB better not be cancelled! That's the funniest AS cartoon on right now. (My opinion)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Venture Brothers under consideration.

Ratings for the next 3 weekends will determine whether or not it gets a new season.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
How to pitch a show to Adult Swim:

"i knew it was coming. there's no real formula for pitching a show, and we're definitely going to put up some thread that explains it in further detail. oh and for the record, you cannot pitch on the boards. you'll have to sign a submission agreement which you can obtain by contacting the cartoon network. then you should sign it and send it in, with a "show bible" which is a description of the show, the primary characters, the secondary characters, the environment in which these characters live, etc. then you should--if you can-- have art work, at least some to give an idea of what the aesthetic of the show is. and, before i forget, it's really importanat to have at least a few descriptions of different episodes, to show that the show has legs and can go on forever. as for what we're looking for: quarter hour shows that are incredibly cheap and entirely innovative and the best show we'll have ever heard in our lives."

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Case Closed is coming back, but there's nowhere to put it on right now.

Trigun coming back in March, Monday - Wednesday nights.

American Dad makes its Adult Swim debut on Sunday, February 13 at 11:30.

Only pilot in development is "Lucy: Daughter of the Dead."

Squidbillies still in development (this has to be a joke :lol ).

How to pitch a show to Adult Swim:

This is interesting, it couldn't be too hard to pitch a show to AS, could it? I figure there are only two things that you have to keep in mind:

1. The show has to be as cheap to produce as possible. This means that the show will feature a very small amount of locales, and feature lots and lots of talking, so the characters don't actually have to be animated doing anything.

2. The show must not make sense. If you can make it funny at the same time, bonus, but it doesn't seem to be necessary. The more you can confuse the viewer, the more AS likes it. This means no exposition, which leaves more time for nonsensical antics.

I figure if Tom Goes to the Mayor made it on the air, that leaves the door open for just about anything to make it. Maybe I'll give it a try.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
skip said:
any justification of only 3 episodes of TGTTM?
No justification. Basically just "we're renewing it and showing new episodes in April anyway whether you like it or not."

Also, Adult Swim now finally owns the rights to ALL 167 episodes of Inuyasha.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Catapult Beetle said:
This is interesting, it couldn't be too hard to pitch a show to AS, could it? I figure there are only two things that you have to keep in mind:

1. The show has to be as cheap to produce as possible. This means that the show will feature a very small amount of locales, and feature lots and lots of talking, so the characters don't actually have to be animated doing anything.

2. The show must not make sense. If you can make it funny at the same time, bonus, but it doesn't seem to be necessary. The more you can confuse the viewer, the more AS likes it. This means no exposition, which leaves more time for nonsensical antics.

I figure if Tom Goes to the Mayor made it on the air, that leaves the door open for just about anything to make it. Maybe I'll give it a try.
They said that they receive about 2 show pitches per day. They currently have a grand total of 7 shows in production. That means that almost NO pitches ever get made into shows.

Oh yeah, the Q and A is over, but they answered a lot fewer questions than they got asked, so apparently they're going to go back and answer some more of them over the next few days.

Phoenix

MetatronM said:
No justification. Basically just "we're renewing it and showing new episodes in April anyway whether you like it or not."

Also, Adult Swim now finally owns the rights to ALL 167 episodes of Inuyasha.

Thank GOD! This show seems to go on for freaking ever though. I enjoy watching it and all, but man I hope that at episode 167 it actually ends :)

Belfast

I know its business and all, but I'd like to see them go after some of the other lesser-known anime properties (besides Super Milk-Chan!). They're still kind of catering to the hip crowd, I suppose. Er, well, stuff that they expect people to tune into for a reason (i.e. Cowboy Bebop was popular, so we'll take Wolf's Rain and Samurai Champloo, as well). I just always wonder if there would be a market for the crazier/more fun stuff out there that is good quality, but doesn't necessarily jive with what has become mainstream popular. There are just gobs of properties waiting to be picked up, I'm sure.

Belfast

Phoenix said:
Thank GOD! This show seems to go on for freaking ever though. I enjoy watching it and all, but man I hope that at episode 167 it actually ends :)

It ended a few months ago in Japan.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
You KNOW what cartoon everyone wants to see.....

splashimage.gif

Chrono

Banned
Phoenix said:

heh, you watch Inuyasha? o_O

Anyway you should prepare yourself for episodes 166-167 (they're a special) from now and know that they're pretty much one of the worse endings to a series. Actually that's why they suck: they DON'T end Inuyasha. They'll probably be OVAs that complete the series later since I think the manga is finishing or about to finish.

Rorschach

MetatronM said:
Coming to Adult Swim in Summer 2005:

Samurai Champloo

Paranoia Agent
Hurray.

MetatronM said:
Blue Gender MAY return. Possible future movie acquisitions.

NOOOOO!

MetatronM said:
Venture Brothers under consideration.

Ratings for the next 3 weekends will determine whether or not it gets a new season.

You people better watch >< How the fuck does TGTM get such special treatment? They just cover their ears to all the complaints.

MetatronM said:
Squidbillies still in development (this has to be a joke :lol ).
:lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Rorschach said:
You people better watch ><
Meh, only people who are taking part in Nielson's ratings really need to be encouraged to watch. If you're not being counted, Cartoon Network won't know the difference whether you watched or not.

border

I can understand their position on Venture Brothers, but on the other hand it's kind of shitty to say "YOU MUST WATCH RERUNS OR IT WILL DIE!"

They ought to at least release a DVD set before making their final decision. Its sales could be used to justify further production, even if the ratings aren't what they should be.

Gribbix

border said:
What is it that people like about TGTTM?

Probably the whole Bob Odenkirk/Mr. Show connection. That's what attracted me to the show when I first heard about it. While I don't like the show as much as others, I think it has the potential to be really funny. Unfortunately it hasn't really delivered yet.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rorschach said:
You people better watch >< How the fuck does TGTM get such special treatment? They just cover their ears to all the complaints.
They basically said that some shows take time finding their audience. They said that this is happening to Venture Brothers, which I guess they think has only recently started to find its niche. They also said it took a long time for ATHF to gain a following too.

Smells like bullshit to me, but whatever.

border

Oh, maybe I should have mentioned it at the start of the thread but you can't completely trust the Adult Swim suits completely. Yeah, they may look like stoners and emo kids, but when push comes to shove they will toe the line and say whatever helps deflect bad perception. At DragonCon, people asked why they canned the Brak Show and the response from that smug-but-still-kinda-cute program director was that the people behind the show just wanted to give it a rest and move on to other projects.

Talking to George Lowe (the voice of Space Ghost and "Father"), I got the impression that they basically just said "Alright, you guys are done, we're not ordering any more episodes". He's admittedly quite bitter about how things with the Cartoon Network have been since the AOL merger, but I tend to trust him more than the corporate chowderheads. I remember him saying something like "But when AOL came in, it was like you could just hear the pin being pulled on the SUCK Grenade" :lol

I wouldn't be surprised if they have already decided to shitcan Venture Brothers, and are just planning on saying "You guys didn't watch enough reruns" whenever the axe comes down. Alternatively, maybe they have already decided to renew it and just want to help jack up the ratings of old episodes. The point being that no matter how friendly and accessible and "down-to-earth" these folks seem, I don't think you can take their word as Bible Truth.

Gribbix

border said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they have already decided to shitcan Venture Brothers, and are just planning on saying "You guys didn't watch enough reruns" whenever the axe comes down. Alternatively, maybe they have already decided to renew it and just want to help jack up the ratings of old episodes. The point being that no matter how friendly and accessible and "down-to-earth" these folks seem, I don't think you can take their word as Bible Truth.

I think you're right about the show already being renewed and that they're just trying to add viewers. I doubt they would advertise a show on the brink of cancellation on a major network (Fox) when they could use it to boost the ratings of any other Adult Swim show, or just the whole AS lineup in general. Perhaps I'm reading into Jackson Publick's (VB creator) comments too much, but it seems like it has been renewed and that he is just not allowed to say anything yet.

border

Oh, I think the Brak Show pretty much sucked after the end of the first season. Maybe even the ratings justified its cancellation. My point was mostly just that they will try to gloss over things that might upset people. Obviously nobody wants to say "We cancelled a great show" in front of an audience of rabid fanboys, but it's worth taking into account that they have not always been "up front" with people in the face of pressure.

skip

While I don't like the show as much as others, I think it has the potential to be really funny. Unfortunately it hasn't really delivered yet.

agreed. I can understand why people don't like Tom in its current form, but it's got great potential. the same way ATHF started out a little "slow" (early sealab >> early aqua teens) but developed into pure awesomeness.

the concept is great, the "animation" gimmick is great, the voices are great...the stories just need work.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
border said:
I think it's more likely that Venture Brothers will be renewed. Their response was rather excited and playful, and I don't know if you watched tonight, but they aired a bump with "Who wants more Venture Brothers?" and then showed an electoral map that had just about everybody voting yes.

So it certainly LOOKS like they want to renew it, but you never know with these Adult Swim types.

Hero

More Venture Bros. please. No more Blue Gender.

No rumors of Naruto, thankfully. Although, with Narultimate Battle being announced, it makes me believe some studio got the licensing rights...

Chrono said:
heh, you watch Inuyasha? o_O

Anyway you should prepare yourself for episodes 166-167 (they're a special) from now and know that they're pretty much one of the worse endings to a series. Actually that's why they suck: they DON'T end Inuyasha. They'll probably be OVAs that complete the series later since I think the manga is finishing or about to finish.

So wait, they finished the anime series but the manga still isn't done? How does that make sense? I haven't watched all the episodes so far, but is Naraku the villain throughout the entire 167 episodes? Pretty boring, if you ask me.

Rorschach

MetatronM said:
They basically said that some shows take time finding their audience. They said that this is happening to Venture Brothers, which I guess they think has only recently started to find its niche. They also said it took a long time for ATHF to gain a following too.

Smells like bullshit to me, but whatever.
I saw that ATHF defense on the bumps before, but how come they can just say "Fuck you all, you'll learn to love this retarded show even if we have to air the same 3 episodes 500 times!" for TGTM, but just shrug off VB?

PS: Any news on Harvey Birdman? :(

skip

an aside - watching sealab now (one of the 4 episodes they've been repeating ad nauseum), what's the deal with cincinnati hot plate? :)

Chrono

Banned
Hero said:
So wait, they finished the anime series but the manga still isn't done? How does that make sense? I haven't watched all the episodes so far, but is Naraku the villain throughout the entire 167 episodes?

Why doesn't it make sense...? I don't follow the Inuyasha manga but yes they stopped while the manga was still ongoing and they didn't even try to make their own anime-ending, probably because they plan to finish it in OVAs. The 166-167 special looks nothing like a final episode.

This really pisses me off now that Gonzo raped Gantz. Why couldn't they just do what the Inuyasha team did? Bastards. >_>;

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hero said:
So wait, they finished the anime series but the manga still isn't done? How does that make sense? I haven't watched all the episodes so far, but is Naraku the villain throughout the entire 167 episodes? Pretty boring, if you ask me.
Absolutely nothing is resolved at the end of episode 167. Sorry.

hobbitx

ColdBlooded33 said:
You KNOW what cartoon everyone wants to see.....
splashimage.gif

People have been suggesting this show alot in the suggestion section, this show or a GI Joe show would be so totally awesome alongside Sealab.

Just gotta say it, when on earth will AS ever make some gamed themed comedy cartoons? With as much geek appeal as the block has these should have been some of the first shows they put on. People have been suggestion a Captain N parody type show, this is what someone needs to pitch, I'd kill for something like that.

Oh, and have they ever explained what the deal is about no Ranma 1/2? Out of all the old animes they could air why can't they air this one? I know it has nudity, but that could be easily blurred or edited out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom