• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As more developers confirm, it looks likely that ALL Adult Swim Games titles will be removed by May

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Because corporate execs are horrible people that only care about what makes shareholders happy. They do NOT care about the customers at all!!! These are the same group of people that say...................

- Single Player games are dead.
- Live Service games need to be THE future
- Consoles are dying and need go away
- Streaming video games is THE future
- Physical media in games need to die
- Subscriptions is how gamers need to get access to their games. Instead of directly selling it to them.

gothmog

Gold Member
Because corporate execs are horrible people that only care about what makes shareholders happy. They do NOT care about the customers at all!!! These are the same group of people that say...................

- Subscriptions is how gamers need to get access to their games. Instead of directly selling it to them.
It's simpler than that. People that are gamers are not running these divisions. They don't get the value of preservation. They see a cost and they eliminate it. This is yet another symptom of consolidation.

It's been said already, but buy rain world! It's a special game that only comes along once in a while. It can be frustrating because it doesn't care about you, but that's also what makes it feel truly alive. There's no hand holding, just pure adventure, harsh survival, and terrible beauty. I'm actually pissed at the prospect of it disappearing, it deserves to be enjoyed and studied by future generations.

edit: And apparently they're not affected. Good. Buy it anyway, it rocks.

Last edited:

jakinov

I don't think many execs believe in those things and if they do it's likely on because they are in a business where they wish that were true.

EA is known for saying single player games are dead. But there alot more nuance to what they said such as the most recent quote was specifically talking about how people werne't into linear single player games which is arguably more or less true. If they relaly believed that they wouldn't still be releasing single player games. All the big publishers do.

I don't know if anyone says that live service needs to be the future more so that it is the future. Partially or fully live service games make up most the revenue of big publishers today and account for a lot of engagement. I don't know if execs want consoles to die either, they make piracy harder, they make development easy and games accessible; especially when you have Sony/MS selling at a loss. I think the only people who think streaming is the future (specifically dominating and taking away from traditional) are companies who don't have one hand in cloud and another hand in non-cloud gaming. I don't believe PS or Xbox believed that cloud is the future in that way but I think Google, Netflix, Amazon, Onlive etc. did/does. I think the people who want phyisical to die are just the console and PC storefronts owners as they made money when that happens. Don't think publishers care that much as long as their games are more accessible. Though some companies have expressed that one aspect of digital that they really like is they can more easily put stuff on sales to stimulate more revenue. There's an added cost to selling games physically but from my understanding a lot of the process is out-sourced to a 3rd party and I don't think you are saving much (if any) money becasue the digital store takes a large cut anyways.

Lastly, don't think publishers like the idea of subscriptions over direct sales, I believe a handful have said that they pretty much don't like the idea like Sony, Take Two and Ubisoft from top of my head. Directly selling is the most lucrative it's just that Microsoft is likely trying to "disrupt" the industry to get an advantage over PlayStation (or at least for being the first one to adopt), similiar to what Netflix did with entertainment industry. The entertainment industry for example would rather you buy every thing a la carte, the problem is that Netflix popularized a model and that's what consumers have effectively voted that they want. Part of the changes happening at WBD is because they want to make sure they get direct revenue for bigger budget movies (at the theater) instead of relying on subscription growth. Music stremaing creates losers on all sides except the consumer as well, artists hate it because less money than before, and the backend music people hate it because also less money, and Spotify is rarely profitable.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't think many execs believe in those things and if they do it's likely on because they are in a business where they wish that were true.

EA is known for saying single player games are dead. But there alot more nuance to what they said such as the most recent quote was specifically talking about how people werne't into linear single player games which is arguably more or less true. If they relaly believed that they wouldn't still be releasing single player games. All the big publishers do.

I don't know if anyone says that live service needs to be the future more so that it is the future. Partially or fully live service games make up most the revenue of big publishers today and account for a lot of engagement. I don't know if execs want consoles to die either, they make piracy harder, they make development easy and games accessible; especially when you have Sony/MS selling at a loss. I think the only people who think streaming is the future (specifically dominating and taking away from traditional) are companies who don't have one hand in cloud and another hand in non-cloud gaming. I don't believe PS or Xbox believed that cloud is the future in that way but I think Google, Netflix, Amazon, Onlive etc. did/does. I think the people who want phyisical to die are just the console and PC storefronts owners as they made money when that happens. Don't think publishers care that much as long as their games are more accessible. Though some companies have expressed that one aspect of digital that they really like is they can more easily put stuff on sales to stimulate more revenue. There's an added cost to selling games physically but from my understanding a lot of the process is out-sourced to a 3rd party and I don't think you are saving much (if any) money becasue the digital store takes a large cut anyways.

Lastly, don't think publishers like the idea of subscriptions over direct sales, I believe a handful have said that they pretty much don't like the idea like Sony, Take Two and Ubisoft from top of my head. Directly selling is the most lucrative it's just that Microsoft is likely trying to "disrupt" the industry to get an advantage over PlayStation (or at least for being the first one to adopt), similiar to what Netflix did with entertainment industry. The entertainment industry for example would rather you buy every thing a la carte, the problem is that Netflix popularized a model and that's what consumers have effectively voted that they want. Part of the changes happening at WBD is because they want to make sure they get direct revenue for bigger budget movies (at the theater) instead of relying on subscription growth. Music stremaing creates losers on all sides except the consumer as well, artists hate it because less money than before, and the backend music people hate it because also less money, and Spotify is rarely profitable.

The execs that say it or push this message to the media say it to create the world the want us to live in. Of course it's not true now, but I want all of that to be true one day. The less you own, the more money they can make from you over time.

Top Bottom